• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Mission To Mars

I don't know what I can say about this score that hadn't already been said.

Hmmmm, how about...... This score turned the movie's beautiful visuals into pure poetry. There! That's something new.

It's an excellent score! punk

NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

After hearing a bit of this on an old cassette this afternoon I just had to give the CD a workout. This is an awe-inspiring work, Horner really was the "second coming" when this was released. cool

Totally agree on the 2 remarks:
    M2M is a refreshing score, and I like it very much.
    Brainstorm is the template current Horner should return to. Oh I would chop off my little pinky for him to score something like that again. Or my hand for something like KRULL. punk

Nah, wishful thinking!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only difference between this and the Clone Wars cartoon that came before it is that it is CGI and the original Clone Wars series was traditional animation. Besides that the TV series and new film are the same style, the same universe, the same characters, etc. And if you listen to James Venable's scores for the Clone Wars he uses the John Williams Sar Wars blueprint. While he scores are mostly rendered using synths it still sounds like a STAR WARS score. I don't mind adding additional instruments and elements for new characters and locations but the hard rock music inspired music heard in the samples is just plain wrong.

-Erik-

Why are you blaming Kiner for following the demand of Lucas to have a modern Black Hawk Down type score?

rolleyes Read James' post.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    NP: Hellboy II - The Golden Army by Elfman...this is my second go through on this...and I think I like it...a lot.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
  2. jedizim wrote
    NP: Hellboy II - The Golden Army by Elfman...this is my second go through on this...and I think I like it...a lot.

please tell me the themes or theme of Beltrami are used?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

super, now I'm even less interested angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But Hellboy by Beltrami was a little Elfmanisch too. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE | DAVID ARNOLD

Yes, you read that right. The best 22p I ever spent on a CD. punk
  4. As if Beltrami's themes were particularly memorable...
  5. Anthony wrote

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mission Impossible - Danny Elfman

One of my favorite Elfman score. I love the string work and sparse percussion with bass backing. Minimalist stuff.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Antineutrino wrote
    Anthony wrote

confused

The David Arnold/Propellerheads AWESOME cover of the main theme. The CD I've got has the full 9 minute version (including the epic SPACE MARCH (even though this isn't OHMSS)), a 3 minute radio edit, and the original orchestra recording. Just imagine big-ass David Arnold style orchestra mixed with Backseat Driver (from Tomorrow Never Dies), and it's exactly what you get with this. punk
  6. Antineutrino wrote
    As if Beltrami's themes were particularly memorable...

uhu, you probably heard the Varese release of Hellboy right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Yes, but I doubt it has different themes. biggrin
  7. Antineutrino wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Yes, but I doubt it has different themes. biggrin

The recording sessions adds various themes, including the main theme, trust me, if you think you have heard it all, you haven't. This main theme is simply awesome
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Antineutrino wrote

In fact they are pretty memorable. One of Beltrami´s finest scores.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. Marselus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

I liked the score. I just don't find it that memorable. Maybe it's indeed because so much music is missing from the Varese release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

Ah Ah Ah! Don't be so quick. The Elfman score is quite good!

-Erik-
  9. Antineutrino wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

I liked the score. I just don't find it that memorable. Maybe it's indeed because so much music is missing from the Varese release.

there is much music missing, I always thought it was okay, until I heard how much stellar music was missing

I gave the original ***12
    I give the recording sessions ****12

you do the math wink
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

-Erik-

we'll see
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

-Erik-

Totally agree. And I don´t like Elfman. But with Hellboy 2 and S.O.P. he has pushed the correct buttons for me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

-Erik-

I have to agree; imo, Elfman has been one of the top 3 composers of 2008 so far, in terms of impressive and genuine new film scores coming out, all of the 3 works he launched so far were (in general lines) far better than the average standard of other works released this year. I, for one - not a big Elfman fan at all, i have to say that i am really impressed by Elfman this year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not a huge fan of Elfman, but I certainly enjoyed Mission Impossible, Flubber, Men In Black 1 & 2, Spiderman 1 & 2 etc.

He's had a very strong year this year, coming up with some interesting stuff I wouldn't have expected to hear from him. I wasn't a massive fan of SOP (too weird for my taste), but Hellboy and Wanted (especially) are awesome.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

Are you kidding ??

It's Elfman & JNH => http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy … lboyII.mp3

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They're a pretty well-used standard set of chords in the musical world keep in mind. Sure, they share a similiar orchestration, but not exactly the same melody is it? And why is it such a bad thing? It sounds good and isn't a direct copy. I don't get why people complain so much.

Flesh+Blood Basil Poledouris

punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    jedizim wrote

Nope. It's 100% Elfman!

-Erik-

Are you kidding ??

It's Elfman & JNH => http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy … lboyII.mp3

rolleyes

That's wonderful at all but Danny Elfman's name is on the credits and Beltrami's themes aren't used so it's credits 100% to Elfman... rips from JNH and all. Man, that is an eye opener, though.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brainstorm - James Horner

Great! Just went past the first Capricorn One rip, but this one really is a very fine score, very similar to the best parts of Aliens and his Star Trek music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Anthony wrote

confused

The David Arnold/Propellerheads AWESOME cover of the main theme. The CD I've got has the full 9 minute version (including the epic SPACE MARCH (even though this isn't OHMSS)), a 3 minute radio edit, and the original orchestra recording. Just imagine big-ass David Arnold style orchestra mixed with Backseat Driver (from Tomorrow Never Dies), and it's exactly what you get with this. punk

It IS a corking version!

I would credit it more like this though....

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - JOHN BARRY, Nicholas Dodd, Propellerheads, David Arnold

tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Great! Just went past the first Capricorn One rip, but this one really is a very fine score, very similar to the best parts of Aliens and his Star Trek music.

good...But....too many rip offs from Aliens and Project X. but a more agressive kind of Horner score wich I really like.

NP:The Ring (Zimmer)

Amanzed with the soundscapes Zimmer can do with so little instruments.

it's one of his very rare scores in his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

good...But....too many rip offs from Aliens and Project X. but a more agressive kind of Horner score wich I really like.

Then you should be bitching about the Brainstorm rips off in Aliens and Project X NOT the other way around. Brainstorm was released in 1983. Aliens was released in 1986. Project X in 1987.

-Erik-