• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Summon The Heroes John Williams, Carl Orff, Leo Arnaud, Mikis Theodorakis, Michael Torke, Leonard Bernstein, Dmitri Shostakovich, Vangelis, Miklos Rosza and Josef Suk

punk

I really need to get that album, simply because it has Bugler's Dream and Olympic Fanfare Medley. biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a fantastic album! 5 stars all the way. I can't recommend it enough, so many gems on it and all brilliantly performed and recorded.

Buy it. NOW! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Buy it. NOW! biggrin

Yes, Master. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Cliff Eidelman

Bloody fantastic score, one that deserves a better performance from a better orchestra. The counter melody from the choir in 'Come O Come Emanuel' works so well, really powerful stuff. Such a shame listening to a score like this that Eidelman isn't a more prominent composer today. sad

But he IS! He bloody scored SISTERHOOD OF THE vomit PANTS!

Which was a solid score and thank God Eidelman is still working and that Varese released the score for us to hear.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    Ah yes, I first discovered Eidelman many years ago. I remember in the early ninties where I had Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country and Christopher Columbus: The Discovery and thought "this guy is going to be one of the next grand masters of film music".
    My prophetic skills were way off sadly!
    I long for a rich, large scale score from this wonderful composer but alas only comedies seem to fall in his lap now. Still, it may still happen. Maybe.
    I just pray this doesn't become the fate of Edward Shearmur! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008 edited
    The Greatest Game Ever Played | Brian Tyler

A side of Tyler I've never heard before...it's not...loud... shocked cool

It's like a mix of Powell and Thomas Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    The Greatest Game Ever Played | Brian Tyler

A side of Tyler I've never heard before...it's not...loud... shocked cool

It's like a mix of Powell and Thomas Newman.

Have you listened "Partition"? It´s the same Tyler side, nice dramatic effort (his best dramatic effort IMO).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I haven't, but I'm checking his stuff out more and more.

I change my opinion of TGGEP - most of it sounds like it came from James Newton Howard!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

Make Partition your first priority wink .

Anthony wrote
    I change my opinion of TGGEP - most of it sounds like it came from James Newton Howard!

....:cough: and James Horner´s Legends of the Fall :cough:

Oh, and check out The Final Cut too. Pretty good, and also in his more damatic side.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    In all honesty, the only reason I decided to check this score out was because it was Brian Tyler plus a movie about golf. I expected this to be trash, but it's surprisingly good! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Glad you like the non loud face of Brian Tyler; loud being hundreds of horns and hundreds of strings playing at the same time wink
    Let´s see what do you think about Partition once you´ve listened it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Funny that you mention influences of three other composers in this score (Brian Tyler sounding like other composers? Noooo! wink ) but yet you completely miss the shameful rip of James Horner's theme from Legends of the Fall.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Dark Knight Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

Certainly satisfies a dark mood. Not that I'm necessarily in a dark mood, but in the mood for dark music!

I must admit, the first time I heard the Joker's "theme" I didn't give it enough of a chance, but now it's had time to grow on me, I really enjoy it and although I haven't seen the movie, I've seen enough scenes from trailers with Ledger's Joker in them to realize this is a pretty damn good "theme" for such a character.

Much better album than Batman Begins, and I'm guessing it's a much better score too.

I say well done Hans. (And JNH. wink)

Edit: 'A Little Push' would work wonders in a Terminator movie! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'd say Joker's musical identity is more of a motif than a theme. But as I said earlier it's not even a motif.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Joker's "theme" is just that noise which opens the album right?

NP: Tropic Thunder | Theodore Shapiro

Again, I'm impressed. Two scores in a day which have totally beaten my expectations! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Well, it is 'just noise' at the beginning of the track. The track does take on more musical qualities further in, rhythm being the main drive of the whole motif. It's more than just noise, especially its use throughout the score on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOJCIECH KILAR - portrait of a lady

Outstanding music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Well, it is 'just noise' at the beginning of the track. The track does take on more musical qualities further in, rhythm being the main drive of the whole motif. It's more than just noise, especially its use throughout the score on the CD.

IMHO, it's perfect.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Outstanding music.

Totally, outstanding score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Summon The Heroes John Williams, Carl Orff, Leo Arnaud, Mikis Theodorakis, Michael Torke, Leonard Bernstein, Dmitri Shostakovich, Vangelis, Miklos Rosza and Josef Suk

punk

Yeap! Great album!

I'll play this later when I feel better but I have a wedding to go to first. dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    This morning I opened up with Christopher Gordon's extraordinary music from The Rugby World Cup. Gordon has a ridiculous amount of talent and a wonderful gift for melody. He is shooting up my list of favorite composers every time I spin one of his albums. I can't wait to hear more from the man.

-Erik-

Gordon has raced to top end of my favorites list in a very short time!
    And yes, his music for The Rugby World Cup is just brilliant!

Speaking of Christopher Gordon, I just finished watching On The Beach and his score fits like a glove! Very good movie too! Better than I expected. Though I thought the score was mixed a little on the quiet side in some scenes. But great stuff all round!

It's been a decade but I'm about to watch Moby Dick again just to hear the score in film.

Here's hoping the guy gets more notice within Hollywood, where his talents are sorely needed among many other underused composers.

I pray to Ceiling Cat for many things, and one of them is that Gordon scores more films!

There are definitely two coming, one of them just around the corner.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Outstanding music.

That's a special score, that one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

I pray to Ceiling Cat for many things, and one of them is that Gordon scores more films!

There are definitely two coming, one of them just around the corner.

Sweet Jebus... and they are?? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    DARFUR NOW -Graeme Revell : not the kind of score Revell generally makes

THE DARK KNIGHT propably an instant classic in my top 10 punk punk punk

HULK Danny Elfman , this scores fascinates me ever time I listen to it.

KING ARTHUR Hans Zimmer, Zimmer on his top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Wheel Of Fortune is stuck in my head today, can't resist listening to it!! crazy biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christoph wrote

Really? As in top 10 this year or top ten in your entire collection?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christoph wrote

biggrin

Sorry... but I got a good chuckle out of that. Instant classic

-Erik-
  3. I gave Wyatt Earp the first complete listen in years (I listened a lot to two or three very specific tracks which I used for gaming). What a fantastic, outstanding score by James Newton Howard. Probably one of his very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

Now, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how this kind of score works in a period piece but that "Conquest of Paradise" theme is brilliant. Thank God Vangelis recorded the choir with a real chorus. The rest plays beauitfully. One of the best produced albums I've ever heard.

-Erik-

It's a good album. A fantastic main theme, and great soundscapes.

"Pinta , nina..."( a mind blowing and relaxing theme, with this loooooooong variations of the theme and the techno touch ) reminds me " A Dark Knight" (well, "A Dark Knight" track Reminds me to it). Finally Zimmer had the oportunity to make this king of Mike Oldfield / Vangelis thing, he tried to emule in the past. with Drop Zone or Thelma And Louisse , and luckly he surpassed long time ago.

NP:Empire Strikes Back

I want the robots motif in Return of the Jedi!!! crazy

Edit:

After talk about 1492 Im in the mood to listen Blade runner and 1492.

I Like this 80's techno touch from Vangelis, when he doesn't try compose symphonic things.

It's ironic, how a composer can make one of your all time favourite scores (Blade Runner, solaris) Without being a composer you respect.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been listening to a lot of "junk" (not bad, but just totally pointless) music today, and this has to be the total highlight by a mile:

The Fast And The Furious - Tokyo Drift | Brian Tyler

"Saucin'" is a fucking tune and a half!! punk