• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    Just thought I'd share this with you guys... I opened Yahoo! India to check my mail when I saw this news that the forthcoming film "Sarkar Raj" directed by Ram Gopal Varma had its "background soundtrack" launch yesterday night. I assumed this was some dialogue CD release because out here we almost have never had a separate score release for films except for short theme pieces with the regular OSTS, and once in a blue moon there have been 2 disc releases with a usual songs CD and the another containing a few pieces of score, but never a standalone score release. However, on reading the article, I was amazed seeing that it was actually a real score release!

"For the first time in the history of Bollywood, a film will have its background score releasing separately. Yes, its Ram Gopal Varma's most awaited film Sarkar Raj whose background score will have separate release.

Confirming the news with Bollywood Hungama RGV informs, "It was because of the tremendous popularity of 'Govinda Govinda' theme earlier in the prequel, Sarkar, which made us take this decision. Moreover, the decision is also the consequence of an inspiration from the Hollywood tradition of releasing the background scores separately."

He goes on to add, "The idea of releasing out the background score before the release of the film itself is that audience after watching the film can relate the theme music with the dialogues of the film since every track is titled after all the important dialogues in the film. And at the end of the day, background theme is there to enhance the scene of the film."

Revealing about his fondness for background score in the film, he excitedly says, "I have this special inclination towards background theme since childhood. I remember I would go to the cinema halls only to listen to background music with my eyes closed."

Titled 'Power of Sound', the background score album will soon hit the stores and the film has its release slated on June 6. "

http://www.indiafm.com/news/2008/05/28/11475/index.html

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage … M+released

I'm surprised they did take the initiative to release the score, even if it was a kind of attempt to mimic their Hollywood counterparts, seeing that there can't be more than 2-3% of the whole population of our country who actually pay some attention to a film's score. But anyway, it looks as though the awareness of film score is slowly, MUCH slowly, but steadily growing these days. Such a thing was absurd to think about some 7-8 years ago! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Funny how they call it "background score".
    But that's cool.

I'm guessing you'll get this? wink
    Let us know how it is!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeh for these guys it'll always remain a "background" score for the "background" of a movie tongue And seeing the tastes of the present "just chill" generation, that's not surprising!

I'll be getting it as soon as I find it in the stores. Will definitely let you guys know how it is wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would be MOST interested!
    I like Indian-flavoured music a lot...it's just the singing I really can't get into!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    it's just the singing I really can't get into!

You have no soul.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    it's just the singing I really can't get into!

You have no soul.

But at least I have good taste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (I know, i pretty much hate Indian singing too). Praise The Lord.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm surprised they did take the initiative to release the score, even if it was a kind of attempt to mimic their Hollywood counterparts, seeing that there can't be more than 2-3% of the whole population of our country who actually pay some attention to a film's score.

Still, though, 2-3% of your country's population is still a LOT of people!!! Millions, in fact!

In any case, I'm happy to see such a release, and I'm surprised that it it's the FIRST of its kind. Really?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I like Indian-flavoured music a lot...it's just the singing I really can't get into!

But but that's fun. sad
    (repo)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    Ram Gopal Varma and his gimmicks! This is by no means the first score release in Bollywood. Two of his earlier movies-- Satya and Sarkar (prequel to the current movie) had their scores released on cd too. And perhaps the most high profile score release in recent times was that of Black. The oldest might have been Salil Choudhury's score for Kala Patthar

A couple of sites that call this bluff-
    http://www.screenindia.com/news/Backgro … nt/318107/
    in the past also, albums of background scores along with dialogues of Sholay, Zanjeer and Bobby have been great hits, but only after the films were successes at the box-office. In recent times films that followed this trend were Satya, Black and Ab Tak Chhappan

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/200 … j-ost.html
    I don’t understand why every filmmaker or composer, when releasing the background scores of the movie separately in a CD, claim it as something that happens for the first time in Indian Cinema. Krrish, Black, Black Friday, Bose: The forgotten hero, Omkara, Taj Mahal – An Eternal Love story, Veer-Zaara, Blue Umbrella were some of the movies (names that immediately come to my mind) for which the entire background score was released

It's rather amusing that it's called a background score/music (BGM for short) when a lot of the music is loud and very much in the foreground (and in your face) but that's Bollywood!

DemonStar wrote
    I'm surprised they did take the initiative to release the score, even if it was a kind of attempt to mimic their Hollywood counterparts, seeing that there can't be more than 2-3% of the whole population of our country who actually pay some attention to a film's score. But anyway, it looks as though the awareness of film score is slowly, MUCH slowly, but steadily growing these days. Such a thing was absurd to think about some 7-8 years ago! wink

I get your point but 2 to 3% is way too much. Nearly 70% of India's population is rural. It's only in the towns and cities where there's much of a movie-watching population. I guess the real number of score fans is miniscule (blind guess-- 1000).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    I get your point but 2 to 3% is way too much. Nearly 70% of India's population is rural. It's only in the towns and cities where there's much of a movie-watching population. I guess the real number of score fans is miniscule (blind guess-- 1000).

Very true. I was only making a wild estimate wink

BTW I don't feel a dialogue CD is counted really as a proper score CD. Eg: Sholay's dialogue CD was a big hit but it was mpre or less a direct rip of the full audio portion of the movie and wasn't enjoyable as a musical score. I think this is the only widely publicised score release so that's why they called it the first. Eager to buy it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    ust thought I'd share this with you guys... I opened Yahoo! India to check my mail when I saw this news that the forthcoming film "Sarkar Raj" directed by Ram Gopal Varma had its "background soundtrack" launch yesterday night. I assumed this was some dialogue CD release because out here we almost have never had a separate score release for films except for short theme pieces with the regular OSTS, and once in a blue moon there have been 2 disc releases with a usual songs CD and the another containing a few pieces of score, but never a standalone score release. However, on reading the article, I was amazed seeing that it was actually a real score release!

I think this is not first official score release in Bollywood, earlier, there was a movie called Black a film by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, for which they released complete official score album for first time in India as well as international level. Have you heard of it?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh yes, Black had a wonderful score by Monty Sharma, and I regard it as one of the best quality scores coming from the Hindi film industry. Really touching musical material. I want to get the CD of it sometime, actually, currently I only have it in MP3 format.

BTW, I couldn't manage to find RGV's Sarkar Raj score CD in the market at all... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lol then i don't see any point in starting thread at all. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Apparently mister RGV didn't think of that before the CD's publicity, either. Or he was referring to the "songless" aspect.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    The news item from the first post is rather akward. The person who made the news item must have had very little knowlegde of Bollywood score releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There were at least ten websites/newspapers reporting all that. tongue