• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2009
    I've got a fairly new-ish (a couple of years old) plasma. I left it on all night with no picture on (so only the backlight was being used), and did load up a completely blank white screen for a while last night and it looks like it helped a tiny bit. I guess it takes a while to get rid of?
  1. Anthony wrote
    I've got a fairly new-ish (a couple of years old) plasma. I left it on all night with no picture on (so only the backlight was being used), and did load up a completely blank white screen for a while last night and it looks like it helped a tiny bit. I guess it takes a while to get rid of?

I'm hoping for you it'll do the trick and return to normal over time. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    I installed I.E. 8 and so far it is a big mistake as it has messed up my homepage. I use to get baseball scores, my hot mail, and movies but no more. I fear I'll have to phone them.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    Have you logged into your account Tom? Perhaps your personalised pages become available once again you're logged in? Or try to use this button.

But sigh.

I give up. It saddens me that if Firefox, Opera or even Chrome aren't an option anymore, then this world is doomed. Why would you install a program that is still in Release Candidate (regarding that IE is always in some sort of beta mode) and will suck anyway.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    So far IE8 works a lot better than any previous versions I tried. Of course, it's only a matter of time before hackers join the playground.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    But no matter the better performance in relation to the previous I.E. versions, it still sucks compared to SAFARI, FIREFOX, CHROME. Why do people install this crap? Seriously. Why?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    But no matter the better performance in relation to the previous I.E. versions, it still sucks compared to SAFARI, FIREFOX, CHROME. Why do people install this crap? Seriously. Why?

I installed Firefox and it crashed my computer. Perhaps that had to do with not being able to get rid of all the IE6 even though I unistalled it. I don't know anything about Safari or Chrome. Enlighten me!!
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Firefox crashed your computer? slant

I just read that IE8 was officially released (and it was not even ready... rolleyes ). Gonna check how this site looks like in that browser too. smile

Tom, Opera is an other, good and fast alternative to IE and Firefox, as is Google's Chrome.

Opera
    www.opera.com

Chrome
    www.google.com/chrome

I'd go for Opera if Firefox crashes, but that is just weird. You also cannot uninstall IE6, unless you install IE7.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll check out both of these
  2. I'm using the most recent version of Opera and I have the forum as my home page.

When I initially launch my browser and it tries to load up this site the browser usually fails and I get the generic:

"You tried to access the address http://www.maintitles.net/forum/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page."

When I reload the home page everything goes according to plan.

Anyone any ideas why this minor inconvenience is happening?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009
    I'm not happy so far with IE8. A phone call is in order.
  3. I'm trying out the Google Desktop at the moment - and I'm messing about with the gadgets for it. I quite like the sidebar - and I've populated it with a weather gadget, analogue clock & the photo player.

It took a few hours to index my PC but now I can give the search function a bit of a test. Unfortunately it doesn't fully support my Opera browser - which may be advantageous as it doesn't index my surfing history.

Anyone else any experience with the Google Desktop?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    I received in the mail my 2Gig Philips player for $20.00. This has gotten me started and it works the way I thought the ipod would do. I just drag and drop the files into the player. It recognizes the name etc and I'll have hours of listening. The problem so far is the quality. Where is the bass? My files are at 320kps.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, i haven't got personal experience with it but it has all seemed like useless, computer-heavy junk to me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll live with IE7
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Very nice experience with the Philips MP3 unit save the lack of bass.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    And the bass is mucho better with some proper headphones!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    Not really a computer question, but it has to do with computers... my newly installed xubuntu 9.04 on my HP mininote (netbook)

Installed yesterday evening... changed wallpaper, created a few nice launcher icons... nice wallpaper... made stuff a bit translucent and such... and this is the result. (see pics) Linux rocks!

[IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8486/screenshot2jf.th.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/618/screenshotpso.th.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8751/screenshotnl.th.png[/IMG]
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Looking good, Talos!
    Have you ever run Linux as a server?
    I'm looking to turn my Windows 2003 server into a more lightweight server, but I would still need web/file/print server capability.

Any thoughts on that at all?

(I can't shake the feeling I've asked his before, but I can't find any post like that anywhere...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Looking good, Talos!
    I'm looking to turn my Windows 2003 server into a more lightweight server, but I would still need web/file/print server capability.

(I can't shake the feeling I've asked his before, but I can't find any post like that anywhere...)

I can't recall you asked this to me... smile anyway, honestly I didn't run any server with linux, ever. (I am just a desktop user) But I would say... go to: www.ubuntu.com and download the server edition. I am sure its pretty neat. Good luck and let me know the result.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll be curious the comments that Martijn has to make if he tries it.
    Thomas
  4. Talos wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Looking good, Talos!

I can't recall you asked this to me... smile anyway, honestly I didn't run any server with linux, ever. (I am just a desktop user) But I would say... go to: www.ubuntu.com and download the server edition. I am sure its pretty neat. Good luck and let me know the result.

Talos, what are sd and sr drivers and may they cause Linux to freeze? My friend has Ubuntu (I think an older version) and she has problems with it freezing. Changing tty doesn't help her. I just upgraded her kernel yesterday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    I don't know if this is due to the unusually hot weather, or perhaps something is wrong with my PC. Recently it's been running much louder than normal (the fans are going crazy), to such a point where I'm running my PC with the side of the case taken off just so it stays cool enough.

I've cleaned it out for dust and I've checked the fans are all working, but they just don't seem to be moving air throughout the PC much. Now I don't think they are broken or anything, but can anyone think of a reason why it might be running loudly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How did you clean it? Only blowing air in high density can really do wonders. Other than that check your cooling of the pc, is it by fans? are the fans working properly? Do you have the computer overclocked?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    How did you clean it? Only blowing air in high density can really do wonders.

Yup, exactly what I did.

Christodoulides wrote
    Other than that check your cooling of the pc, is it by fans? are the fans working properly?

PC isn't overclocked, and all the fans are moving. Is there any better way to check they are working properly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's some programs which show fan speeds and % of usages, like cpu-z if i recall correctly? But google can do wonders smile I am sure you'll find board topics about it. Are the surfaces touching in-between them without noticing it? Have you moved the pc recently? Maybe some of the wires have moved and are touching one the spinning fans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also check your computer temperatures from within the bios.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    A very useful program to check the computer temperatures (CPU, graphic card. HD, processor), fans and a lot of information: Everest Ultimate Edition.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My computer fan (s) will run at a higher speed depending on the temperature in my apartment as well as what different sites I'm on.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    sdtom wrote
    My computer fan (s) will run at a higher speed depending on the temperature in my apartment as well as what different sites I'm on.
    Thomas

Yeah, some fans run higher or lower depending on the temperature of the place.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you