• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009
    I am weak with moneys too when it comes to computers. shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thing is, I don't have anything against Windows based computers, I'm just a sucker for Apple design... plus I'm used to using a Mac OS. I can't say "It's the best" because I haven't really got much experience with anything else, I just happen to prefer Macs for the time being. smile

But srsly. I'm so weak when it comes to technology and gadgets. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh i have a lot of negative experience with PROFESSIONAL usage of windows os systems, believe me; over at home and at the studio, i just couldn't believe how our intel core 2 quads lots of rams and ghz were being crashed down by Microsoft's horrible os. And please don't any user of music, office and internet give me the usual "my windows / pc works just fine" argument again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    shocked

Dammed. I'll stick with Mac then. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My windows PC works just fine. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I may have a problem with the web search function in my family tree software and I need some help.

I've managed to fix the issue but if it recurs I'm advised to:

"...please disable any Windows cleanup utilities or set the FTW (related to the software) subdirectory inside the Windows Temp folder as an exception..."

How do I set the subdirectory as an exception for the cleanup utility?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Not sure where to put this but...
    DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH TIME HERE!

sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    It's not that far from reality really, when taken to the extreme. That doesn't apply to 1-2 hours per day discussing with people you know, some of them are even your friends - your favorite musical topic. Such studies address far more serious internet addiction studies, especially amidst the youth. I think nowadays everyone of us knows a couple (or more) of such cases in their lives.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    ...I think nowadays everyone of us knows a couple (or more) of such cases in their lives.

And if we don't then WE must be those individuals!
  4. I have a question...

I have a folder - "C:Documents and SettingsAlanApplication DataRealRealOne Playerdb" that contains a backup folder. Within this folder there's a series of folders labelled "000" to "155". Within these folders are small files (almost 40,000 in all the 155 folders) with a TMD extension. They take an age to go through when I do a virus check.

Anyone know what they are? I've deleted RealOne Player as I've other media players that are better and I'm wondering if they are left over from using Real Player some time ago as my preferred CD ripper?

Question is - can I delete them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    May well be: these look like temporary files. Weird format, though, tmd extensions... Are these large files?

Anyway, if they're in a folder associated with an application you've deleted, in 99.9% of cases you're perfectly OK to delete them (I'd say 100% of cases, but that would just be my own experience).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...I think nowadays everyone of us knows a couple (or more) of such cases in their lives.

And if we don't then WE must be those individuals!

wink

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a question...

I have a folder - "C:Documents and SettingsAlanApplication DataRealRealOne Playerdb" that contains a backup folder. Within this folder there's a series of folders labelled "000" to "155". Within these folders are small files (almost 40,000 in all the 155 folders) with a TMD extension. They take an age to go through when I do a virus check.

Anyone know what they are? I've deleted RealOne Player as I've other media players that are better and I'm wondering if they are left over from using Real Player some time ago as my preferred CD ripper?

Question is - can I delete them?

Of course you can delete them since you don't have the associated software anymore on your computer. Alan, to avoid something like this happening when you uninstall applications that leave traces behind, do the un-installation through perfect and freeware REVO UNINSTALLER that looks after the uninstall setup finishes, to see if any leftovers were left on hard disk or registry of windows and deletes them too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not sure where to put this but...
    DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH TIME HERE!

sad

Oh, no man. Not us. Nope. Never happen. And you know. It's not like anyone cares, anyway. Nobody loves us anyhow. So what's the point, y'know?
    There's none.
    Just no point at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Martijn wants a hug.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oi!
    No tochy-feely stoff! Me, I'm RUGGED!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    biggrin Martijn, what if we substituted Steven's hug with a certain Greek's?

(not me though. Although if i was talking to Timmer, i'd probably use me as an example)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And then substitute hug with breasts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...I dunno.
    "Martijn wants Greek breasts" sounds a little too Hannibal Lecter for me...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin Martijn, what if we substituted Steven's hug with a certain Greek's?

(not me though. Although if i was talking to Timmer, i'd probably use me as an example)

Too slippy for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm...I dunno.
    "Martijn wants Greek breasts" sounds a little too Hannibal Lecter for me...

Howabout "Martijn wants huge breasts" or is that going into odd territory!? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i..i...iI...a.am. ..n, not good...enough f.,...for..you?.?

:shrug-in-the-corner-and-cry:
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    i..i...iI...a.am. ..n, not good...enough f.,...for..you?.?

Not with that speech impediment you're not!

BTW, thanks for the advice about the files. Revo Uninstaller is a great little application, but I had uninstalled RealOne Player before I came across the app. And, as you know, you can't benefit from Uninstaller's abilities with an already-deleted application.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    I work on a PC, and I need to send a large text documents to a Mac user. They need to be able to edit it and send it back to me. Are there any file formats that are generic to both PC's and Mac's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is a wind-up, right?

If not: OF COURSE THERE ARE.
    Word on Mac works the exact same way as Word on the PC, and saves to the same extension (doc or docx).

When in doubt (or not using Word) you could use more or less platform-independent formats like HTML, RTF or even raw TXT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Or the open source document types of OpenOffice.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    This is a wind-up, right?

If not: OF COURSE THERE ARE.
    Word on Mac works the exact same way as Word on the PC, and saves to the same extension (doc or docx).

It's not a wind up. I know you can get Microsoft Office for the Mac, but I honestly have no clue whether you can open a .doc file if you don't have it. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Most word processing programs will be able to open .DOC documents, even free, open source ones.
    Worst thing that could happen is that some Word-specific formatting is lost or changed (especially embedded objects should be a bitch), or that you'd need to do a quick download of some sort of compatibility program.

It should be no problem, really.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So a .txt file is the best bet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Definitely, unless formatting is a major requirement.