• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited
    Laptop seems nice, brands are useless anyway (toshiba satellites are very good from what i know) what's inside is what matters these days; maybe you could spend a bit more to get

Bluetooth
    and maybe
    esata and
    hdmi

connections too?

It shouldn't get you out of your budget, logically.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    The desktop pc is ok as well just don't expect any gaming with that on-board graphics card (it doesn't interest you anyway from what i've seen)
  1. Cheers Demetris.

I'm a bit flummoxed (first-time use on the 'board?) about the router requirements. I'm assuming that there's a cable coming out from the socket at the wall into the router. I can then wire this router directly into the PC from where I can configure the wireless network? That is, get the various wireless peripherals talking with the network, allow access to the WiFi for the phones. And maybe later down the line have things like printers wirelessly connected (though this latter want is very much in the future.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, that's pretty much how it goes. But bluetooth on the laptop allows the laptop to be connected via bluetooth and thus without wires, with bluetooth devices such as modern smart phones.

HDMI allows the laptop to be connected with modern lcs tv's / pc lcd monitors that have hdmi connectors.

eSATA comes with many modern hard drives and replaces the usb2.0 in many cases where it's considered as a faster alternative.

You may not want these things, but if you find a laptop in the same price range which does include those, it'll be top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    what does iexplore.exe do with my computer. It sometimes takes up an excessive amount of memory 150,000 or more which slows my older computer down. I still use this unit because I can't do all of my work in the office with the new laptop, which has no problems. This one is used for email, facebook, google, and writing, nothing else.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's actually Internet Explorer: your web browser, Tom.
    And depending on the site you visit and how it's built, it can take up a LOT of memory.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is the solution? I don't want to give up my hotmail account.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    is it time to get rid of this power hungry browser
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Use Firefox or Opera

Problem solved
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    what do i do? i'm really stupid at this. how do i transfer my favorites, address, email, etc.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think some clever browsers ask you if you'd like to import your current settings to the new one during install.
  2. sdtom wrote
    what do i do? i'm really stupid at this. how do i transfer my favorites, address, email, etc.

Tom, you don't have to dump one browser in order to try another. Install another browser that you'd like to try and try them side by side. See if Opera meets your requirements - e.g., allows you to import your favourites, etc. Try it for a while and if you like it and have it all set up to your satisfaction then dump the old browser.

We have 3 browsers installed on this archaic machine: IE, Opera and Chrome.

You can certainly import your bookmarks from IE into Opera - and you can also import bookmarks into Chrome from IE.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited
    Hey Tom. Alan's advice is really useful.

You can have an installation of IE, Opera, Firefox and other browsers next to each other. It's just an application, like you can have two textfile editors, or two programs to play music. Having multiple browsers is handy. Installing Chrome doesn't mean IE gets uninstalled or can't work anymore. No worries!

I think you can start trying them out for a couple of days.

Opera, Chrome and Firefox ask you during installation if they can import your bookmarks, etc from IE. So you will have them available in an other browser too.

Chrome
    http://www.google.com/chrome

Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Opera
    http://www.opera.com/

Both have their assets. Chrome is superfast and easy/straight-forward, but a bit different than IE. Firefox is fast as well (not in its startup), but takes quite some memory after some time (which is what you didn't want). It's very handy because of all its add-ons. Opera I seldom use, so I can't say anything about that one.
    Kazoo
  3. One thing I don't like about Chrome is Google's sneaky install of GooglesUpdate that frequently checks for updates and can be a drain on resources. And it is really hard to disable this. And each Google app installs their own update: Chrome, Picasa, Earth...
  4. crazy

There's so much to consider when looking for a new PC...and a laptop...and a router when you're not sure what to go for!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    The easiest thing to consider is your own needs.
    Don't get thrown off by side considerations.
    For example, at the end of the day the type of hard disk or memory really aren't all that interesting...unless you're already thinking about replacements.

Make a list of what YOU need and do your research based on that.
    Your requirements for a router seem really straightforward (one cabled, one wireless connection), so simply do a search for the most user friendly one with those prerequisites. (I'm sure there must be consumer comparison sites in the UK...there are at least 6 different ones over here in The Netherlands).

Like I said: the real trick is sticking to what is basically important for you.
    It's VERY easy to get bogged down by all the details.
    (And even though these might be nice to have, on paper at least, if they're not in your basics last, you'll find you won't ever use them...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just go the easy, plain way Alan. Your needs are pretty basic and you shouldn't be having any troubles finding pc's to be. Maybe you chould share a couple of links more with your considerations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's pretty much how it goes. But bluetooth on the laptop allows the laptop to be connected via bluetooth and thus without wires, with bluetooth devices such as modern smart phones.

Just to be clear: bluetooth is an ADDED advantage, but not a required one! WiFi will do the wireless connection trick as well.

I do not have bluetooth on my laptop, and in 5 years I only came to regret than once (and even then I worked around it).

HDMI allows the laptop to be connected with modern lcs tv's / pc lcd monitors that have hdmi connectors.

Again: very nice to have, but usually still not required. Unless you already know you are going to use the laptop often for multimedia purposes or an extension of your home entertainment. In that case it's pretty much a must-have.

eSATA comes with many modern hard drives and replaces the usb2.0 in many cases where it's considered as a faster alternative.

USB 2.0 still pretty much is the standard.
    eSATA is faster, no doubt, but this is really very much a nice-to-have. Not a must-have by any means. (Not that you suggested that, D. Just shining my own little light on things. smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Just go the easy, plain way Alan. Your needs are pretty basic and you shouldn't be having any troubles finding pc's to be. Maybe you chould share a couple of links more with your considerations?

That would be good.
    I think there's a couple of pretty level-headed, knowledgeable people around here who would be more than happy to help.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We are the forum for 42!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My ultimate goal is to be wireless with my new laptop which I can be if i'm willing to walk to the office, carry flash memory for any printing. IE8 works great. The issue with this computer has to do with less RAM and processor speed and I'm not talking about video stuff. I'll give this opera a try and see if it is an improvement for me. Eventually this whole thing is going into the recycle bin. I'm trying to be economical.
    Thomas
  5. Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That would be good.
    I think there's a couple of pretty level-headed, knowledgeable people around here who would be more than happy to help.
    smile

I'll put up a few suggestions later - after I've done a bit of work/writing.

But, in the meantime, there are a few considerations I'm working with when I'm looking through the myriad of possibilities.

- Processor: I believe that there's little difference between Intel or AMD but I'm looking for Dual Core
    - Processor speed: I'm not considering anything less than 2GHz
    - RAM: 3GB or above
    - Hard drive: >250GB
    - Graphics/sound card: nothing special, probably just integrated(?)
    - WiFi

Those are "requirements" for the laptop.

The desktop PC, with these requirements, would be vastly better than I have at the moment. I don't need a monitor so it's just base unit/keyboard.

The router would be a modem router since it's plugged into the socket in the wall that my current broadband connection used (Speedtouch modem).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan go for the Intel, they're very cheap now and amd is considered a failed experiment by most, plus they eat more power and produce more heat than intel's these days. As for your laptop, for the usage you described you need nothing more than integrated simple stuff.

Martijn, HDMI is going to be needed if Alan has (or plans to get) an lcd big screen tv and wants to watch movies from the laptop.

Bluetooth extra yeah, if he has a bluetooth mobile phone he wants to connect with the laptop, he's going to need it otherwise he won't. Most laptops have it as a standard these days, it's pretty cheap.

Alan don't worry too much, your needs are basic; just find 2-3 candidates in each category, post them and we'll tell you our opinions smile
  6. Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hur hur... your needs are basic... hur hur
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Hur hur... your needs are basic... hur hur

As opposed to, your needs are many and unfulfilled.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause

STEVEN = PWNED!!!!

punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    Really.
  7. Four possible laptops:

ADVENT Sienna 500 - £480
    Intel Core i5-430M (2.26GHz) / 3GB DDR3 RAM / 250GB SATA / 3 hours battery
    3 x USB 2.0 ports / 1 x HDMI / 802.11b/g/n WLAN / integrated graphics card
    My current desktop PC is an Advent and although it's not a well-known brand it's lasted well

ACER Aspire 5741 - £480
    Intel Core i3-330M (2.13GHz) / 3GB DDR3 RAM / 320GB SATA / 4 hours battery
    3 x USB 2.0 ports / VGA, HDMI / Acer Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n / webcam / integrated graphics card

DELL Inspiron N5010 - £500
    Intel Core i3-350M (2.26GHz) / 3GB RAM / 320GB / 4.5 hours battery
    3 x USB / HDMI, VGA / 802.11 g/n / bluetooth / Intel® HD Graphics

PACKARD BELL EasyNote TJ65-AU-052 - £450
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400 (2.2GHz) / 4GB RAM / 320GB SATA / ?
    4 x USB 2.0 ports / HDMI, VGA / 802.11b/g/n / webcam / Intel GMA 4500M

They are a bit on the pricey side but I think that the upper £400 bracket seems to be ticking most of the boxes. But are these specifications too much for my needs or are they good for dealing with all that my potential uses will throw at the laptop?