• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    will write that down and give it a try.
    tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    ended up with a lot of programs i didn't want
  1. Shit. Ask toolbar or something thelike? slant
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. sdtom wrote
    ended up with a lot of programs i didn't want

That's bad. Do an anti-virus and malware check.

Looks like you chose a dodgy place to download it from.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Shit. Ask toolbar or something thelike? slant

That goddam Ask toolbar. It attaches itself to everything these days, even more or less legitimate stuff.

Just remember; don't just click "next" without looking to see what you're agreeing to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014
    i think it's okay now
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014
    finally got rid of this damn ask bar crap.
    /tom
  4. Can anyone tell me why it is that whan you google something film music and a link to Jwfan.com pops up and you click that link you get some commercial nonsense that has nothing to do with JWFAN whatsoever?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    Is it an ad?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014 edited
    Help!

My son's laptop can't access Facebook on his log in. Trying both Chrome and IE it just hangs and the times out. Access is no trouble using the admin log in.

I think that I have set Facebook as a specific allowed site in his Family Safety settings and I have set it as a Trusted Site in his Chrome browser. And I have cleared history and cache as well as switching on and off extensions.

I can't think what else to try. Any suggestions?

Update...David installed Opera and he could access Facebook using that browser!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I have a question for anyone who knows anything about the Opera browser.

I've just updated Opera and now I have 2 versions installed. Rather than updating the version I had, the process seems to have added a second version of the browser.

Does anyone know what's going on?

The "old" version of Opera is v12.17 (according to my computer's Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs utility. And what seems to have been added is "Opera Stable 26.0.165.60"

I'm surprised about the newer version because I've been keeping up with the Opera updates and only now have I received v26. Reading around, it seems to have been around for some time.

I assume that v26 (which I think is a version after Opera decided to base the Opera browser on Google's Chromium something-or-other) is the preferred version and I can delete v12?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015
    I would uninstall it as it can always be put back on if the new version suddenly develops bugs of some sort.
    Tom
  6. The family PC has an intermittent issue with the monitor: every so often the signal between the monitor and the PC seems to fail and the screen goes blank. The only thing that I have found that resolves this is to long-hold the power button to reboot the PC. (I suppose this suggests that it's not the monitor but a problem with the PC itself.)

Normally this isn't a problem. But tonight it did it whilst I was doing a Windows Update. So I am thinking that the last thing I should do is to reboot the PC right in the middle of this update.

Probably need to leave it on overnight so that I know that is definitely finished updating and then do the reboot and just hope for the best...
  7. Has anyone else come across this annoying issue?

Browsing Amazon's digital music store and when I click on the preview button to the left of a track title, rather than the clip playing, I have a window opening wanting me to download the *.m3u playlist file. This is happening in the Chrome browser and not in Opera.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone else come across this annoying issue?

Browsing Amazon's digital music store and when I click on the preview button to the left of a track title, rather than the clip playing, I have a window opening wanting me to download the *.m3u playlist file. This is happening in the Chrome browser and not in Opera.

I notice that it seems to happen with only some preview clips. Some play just fine.

Could this indicate that it's something that's peculiar with the settings set by Amazon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    I would tend to think so Alan
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015
    I just got a 29" computer monitor from a friend who got a lap top. This makes a big difference for me.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    I've used it for a few hours now (monitor) and am overall quite pleased with it. I will try a film tonight and see how it works out for me.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've just updated Opera and now I have 2 versions installed. Rather than updating the version I had, the process seems to have added a second version of the browser.

I suggest you fully uninstall both versions from your system. Download the installer from Opera's official website, and do a clean install. As of March 25th, the latest version of Opera is 28.0.1750.48. Be sure you backup your bookmarks before you proceed!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    The family PC has an intermittent issue with the monitor: every so often the signal between the monitor and the PC seems to fail and the screen goes blank. The only thing that I have found that resolves this is to long-hold the power button to reboot the PC. (I suppose this suggests that it's not the monitor but a problem with the PC itself.).

This usually indicates that your graphic card is failing. How old is your machine?

FalkirkBairn wrote

The Amazon streaming service relies on Adobe Flash Player to work properly. When this extension is disabled or not installed on the browser, the service prompts to download a M3U file instead which essentially gets your PC's media player to do the buffer, only without using Adobe Flash Player. By default most browsers don't include the Flash player plugin due to its endless number of security concerns. You may want to check if this is the case with your Chrome browser:

1) Type in "chrome:plugins" in Chrome browser, without the quotation marks.

2) Look for an item called Flash

3) Check that both "Enable" and "Always Allowed" options are enabled.

It is also worth checking if you have any extensions installed that might prevent Flash Files to work properly. Ad Block extensions usually do this behavior if not configured properly.
  9. Thanks "Blu" for the comments and tips.
  10. I'm wondering how best to make an additional "back-up" copy of my music.

Currently, I have all my music mirrored on two separate external hard drives and these are regularly updated as-and-when new music is received. I have an extra external hard drive and I was thinking on using this as a third back-up drive but wonder how best to copy the music from one of the current drives to this new drive?

Whichever way is best, it's going to take a while - 500+ GB of music isn't going to be transferred quickly I imagine. Can I attach the two drives to my PC and just copy over via the computer, or must I copy the music to the PC's drive and then copy it to the new drive?

Cheers.
  11. There is back-up software that lets you make redundant back-ups on several hard drives.

For simple copiing I have often used Synctoy in the past.

Volker
  12. So, Synctoy can analyse and compare external hard drive "A" (containing my data) with external hard drive "B" (no data) (both drives attached to common PC) and initiate a duplication of drive "A" on to drive "B"?
  13. Well, you have several options with Synctoy:

- You can copy content from "full" drive A to "emty" drive B.
    - You can have two drives with different content and have it copied both ways so that you end up with everything on both drives.
    - You can mirror one drive to the other. (Is that correct English?) Anyway. For example if you plug in an external hard drive once a week you can have it synced with the private folder on your PC. There are again several options. When you delete a file on your PC you can decide if you want it deleted on the mirror drive also or not.

I remember Synctoy can be tricky with mp3 files. If you edit the tags without altering the file proper, Synctoy will not recognise that. I always found that annoying.

But it's a while since I last used that thing. I'd rather wait for our IT experts to come up with suggestions. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
    I am hesitant to comment as I use a Robocopy script.
    It's not complicated, and not even very technical, but if you get in on the ground floor, there *may* be a steep learning curve. So it all depends on how much effort you're willing to spend.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik … mples.aspx
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/whats-new … 7-robocopy

I'll be happy to share my script, but of course you'd need to modify it to suit your needs!

A completely different route to take are offline backups.
    I use CrashPlan and am VERY happy with it...but (from experience) I can tell you that backing up libraries of this size may take many, many weeks. And of course it's not free.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Thanks for the input guys. I am familiar with Robocopy and have used it in the past, though Synctoy is a new one on me.

I may not have explained myself very well but what I really wanted to know was whether, if I have two external hard drives connected to one PC, whether I can copy directly from one external drive to the other without needing to move any files off one drive and copy them to the PC prior to moving to the new drive.

I am just a bit unsure whether it's possible to go directly between external drives.

As I mention, I do have 2 copies of all my audio files but I want to make a third drive. After I get this third drive "up-and-running" I'd just add new albums to all drives manually (I like to do this manually rather than automatically.)
  15. FalkirkBairn wrote

I am just a bit unsure whether it's possible to go directly between external drives.

That should simply be a matter of drag and drop.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

That should simply be a matter of drag and drop.

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015 edited
    Indeed. Although I'd still recommend a script (especially with folders of this size and the amount of files we're talking about).
    Main reasons: drag-and-drop can take a looooooooong time. And if the process is interrupted you need to start all over again! A robocopy script is MUCH faster and more efficient (as it can automatically skip any files already copied).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  17. FireFox users please! smile

I'd like to use the automatic spellchek, I have installed the language packs German and English (GB) and I have enabled the option. Nothing happens. WHY? Running FF 37.

I looked for advice alsewhere but got no results.

Volker