• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2015
    It sounds like there is a glitch in your system. Perhaps uninstall and reinstall is the solution.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    I'd like to use the automatic spellchek, I have installed the language packs German and English (GB) and I have enabled the option. Nothing happens.

First right click on some text box (where you want spell checking) and check that you see a tick mark next to an item that reads "Check Spelling" on the menu that appears. If a tick is present and yet no spell checking is done, then the spell checking functionality might be globally disabled. To enable it, go to the Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing > and enable "Check my spelling as I type".
  1. That was some deep insight and it solved my problem. Thanks Blu! beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015
    computers are at best a challenge. No wonder older people avoid them.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    computers are at best a challenge. No wonder older people avoid them.
    Tom

My 86-year-old grandma actually attended a course for beginners a few weeks ago to learn the basics of computers!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Thor wrote
    My 86-year-old grandma actually attended a course for beginners a few weeks ago to learn the basics of computers!

Computer Basics. Imagine the definition of that term some few decades from now.
  2. Computer Basic
    Beginner’s All-purpose Spaghetti Instruction Code smile Those were the days.
  3. Slightly off-topic...

Does anyone use an Android phone call/text blocker they like?

I use Mr. Number but it only sends blocked calls to voicemail rather than giving me the additional option of just hanging up.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. And another question...

how long should I wait for a Windows Update session to complete before aborting it and trying to repair any damage done stopping the update mid-process?

I've been stuck on 14 of 28 updates for about 2 hours now. The PC hasn't frozen and I can hear the hard drive working and the power light is flickering, so it doesn't seem to have hung in the usual way. But it just seems to have been stopped on this 14th update for ages.

BTW, this specific update is a "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 for Windows 7..."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Happened to me a few times: I generally simply reboot.
    Never hurt my PC, and updates simply continued after that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Cheers.
  6. Yeah, I had such a case once and so did my friend. Rebooting worked wonders.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    I get terrified when that happens, even when it's a shitload of updates (I think I had 60-something at one point), so I just let it run its course. If I have to go to bed, I'll just let it continue with lights from the screen keeping me awake. Madness.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Why don't you turn off the screen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Because it's a laptop.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I had a nagging suspicion that this might be so. wink
  9. Things finished after ages. But that particular update failed to install properly. But at least it all finished fine.
  10. I have a question about System Restore.

I've been looking at how my System Restore protection is configured on my laptop and I am wondering if the settings that are in place are a bit excessive.

Currently, my Current Usage for System Protection is 106.87 GB and this seems a bit excessive. My Max Usage is set at 25% - corresponding to 112.75 GB. This means (I think) this is why I currently have 25 restore points.

With my limited knowledge, I think that 25 is a bit too many and that perhaps only 3-4 should be sufficient for recovery of any issues. I have a scheduled restore point that seems to happen once a month and with others mostly related to Windows Updates.

My question is: can I reduce my Max Usage setting to something less than 25%/112 GB? And, if I can, what would you recommend the new percentage be (I don't know how much space 1 restore point takes up (maybe about 5 GB doing the maths?))?
  11. URGENT HELP REQUIRED!!

My laptop has just died apparently. Suddenly went dead and can't switch it on again, either when plugged into mains or just using the battery.

Only extra information to help is related to the main power lead. When it is unplugged from the laptop and I plug it in to a wall socket the green light on the transformer(?) box comes on but when I plug the other end into the laptop this light on the box goes out.

Please can anyone offer any info or advice on what I can do next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015
    Have you got another charger you can try? Also, if it's your files you're worried about, have you checked the internal hard drive still works? (I.e. put it in another laptop.)
  12. The laptop doesn't work when I try to use just the fully charged battery. Are chargers interchangeable? I have a few Acer chargers about.

I wouldn't know where to begin to try to swap the hard drive to another laptop.
  13. Nope. Charger connections to laptops are not the same with different makes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015 edited
    Some are, and I would imagine acers are the same for most of their models. As for the hard drive, it's a piece of cake. Just undo the large panel on the underside of the laptop, and you'll find it housed in a metal casing. Just undo that and slide it out. (I'm going on what my acer laptop is like here, but all laptops are essentially the same in this regard, except for hard drives fixed to the motherboard. Like modern Apple devices.)
  14. I didn't make clear that I have a Dell Inspiron 15R. There's only one panel and it doesn't look like it accesses the hard drive.

If I do take it out do I put it in a caddy and just plug it into a PC like an external hard drive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't make clear that I have a Dell Inspiron 15R. There's only one panel and it doesn't look like it accesses the hard drive.

Hmm, looks as though it's a bit more a kerfuffle than Acers.

If I do take it out do I put it in a caddy and just plug it into a PC like an external hard drive?

Yes, although it won't read the files as you'll need to boot it up as a startup disk rather than an external drive (or use some piece of software that can read startup disks). If you have another laptop, it would be easier just to swap the hard drives around to see if it still works. Although all this is predicated on the assumption your laptop is irreparable, so you might not have to do this at all. It might just be your battery that's fucked. Or the charger. Or the motherboard. Or a ghost in the machine. It's difficult to say without a séance.
  15. I'll bring the Tarot deck and a pendulum. Someone here knows a spychig? wink
  16. I've seen the process required to access the hard disk. It does look somewhat convoluted.

So, does swapping the drive to another laptop mean that electronics of the new laptop just access the substituted hard drive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Someone here knows a spychig? wink
    Would that be an alien infiltrator from Space: Above And Beyond?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've seen the process required to access the hard disk. It does look somewhat convoluted.

So, does swapping the drive to another laptop mean that electronics of the new laptop just access the substituted hard drive?

Yes, unless you're trying to put it in a much older laptop (that might not be able to run the operating system). The hard drive is the soul. Everything else is about accessing and processing the information held on it.
  17. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Someone here knows a spychig? wink
    Would that be an alien infiltrator from Space: Above And Beyond?

I was actually looking for an equivalent for what in German is called a "Medium". Someone who is allegedly able to "mediate" the contact to "the other side". wink