• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    CGI should be used for big explosions and crazy stunts, but not something as simple as SKY! angry sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Exactly. Too many things are being done CGI today...
    the result is unbelievable backgrounds... when the real deal is soo much cooler. Using
    CGI to save money and enhance reality.... just shouldn't be done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    You're such a pessimist Anthony!

This film is gonna rock, just like the score. And anyway, that sky looks fine to me? Quit your belly achin'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I'm definately rooting for it. I just hope this isn't a let down. We'll see soon enough.
    I hope they use that line from Indi3:

Indi: This belongs in a museum!

Badguy: You belong in a museum Dr Jones.
    smile love it. more of it?
    rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Is that CGI sky? shocked slant

I don't think so. Now, I know gorgeous sunsets or sunrises like that ARE rare but they do happen from time to time and as a director you just luck out.

I mean, I lucked out with a gorgeous sunset when filming my action adventure movie in the summer of 1999. I needed the perfect sunset for the happy ending kiss scene and I got it. Here is a shot of me (don't laugh -- this was almost 10 years ago and I weighted about 40 pounds less then I do now) with my two stars with the PERFECT sunset behind us.

http://www.dillusions.net/erik/desktop/dirandactors.jpg

-Erik-

Nice sunset cool

Which one is you Erik? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    CGI should be used for big explosions and crazy stunts, but not something as simple as SKY! angry sad

I totally disagree with you.

I have no problem with CGI adding a bit of colour where wanted in sky or landscape. I can understand certain types of explosions are better served by CGI, particularly in Sci-Fi but I like my crazy stunts performed for REAL by REAL people.

I've seen many recent films that have been ruined by an overuse of CGI, Die Another Day ( bleuch! ), all the Spiderman films and I Am Legend all spring to mind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The best use of CGI is in Zodiac.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

I totally disagree with you.

I have no problem with CGI adding a bit of colour where wanted in sky or landscape. I can understand certain types of explosions are better served by CGI, particularly in Sci-Fi but I like my crazy stunts performed for REAL by REAL people.

I've seen many recent films that have been ruined by an overuse of CGI, Die Another Day ( bleuch! ), all the Spiderman films and I Am Legend all spring to mind.

Right on, Timmer! Right on!

Bregt wrote
    The best use of CGI is in Zodiac.

One of the best for sure... and you know what... after you watch the film for the first time you have NO IDEA how many effects shots are actually in the film. The Zodiac making of featurette is an eye opener.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    Look back at all the films Spielberg has done. Look at how he has used CGI. Now, apply that to this new Indy film. Do you really think he's fucked it up? Exactly.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Do you really think he's fucked it up? Exactly.

I damn well hope not, but these pictures and the trailer aren't exactly beacons of hope. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? I felt like a kid again when I saw the trailer.

You're too pessimistic Anthony! Have faith Brotha, have faith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's just not gonna be as easy as it used to be, Anthony.
    Just hang on to your hat.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Do you really think he's fucked it up? Exactly.

I damn well hope not, but these pictures and the trailer aren't exactly beacons of hope. sad

Tell us exactly what's bothering you. Because to me, it still looks like the old fashion Indiana Jones that we know and love.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The CGI. Looks. Fake. sad

I want movie locations to look real, or at least realistic. When something looks fake it's distracting. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What CGI?
    I just see air?
    It's no more or less fake than ..well... air.

It looks like air in so many films.
    I don't see the problem.

At a guess -not wanting to put words in your mouth, Anthony- you are worried about the lighting? The lighting on the actors comes from a stronger source and a slightly different direction than from the light in the sky: the effect you get with strong spots.
    Obviously I would need to see the scene, but I guess IN the scene some strong light sources are present?

But i don't see anything particularly CGI-ish at all, really.

But I may be biased.
    I loved the trailer. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Don't get me wrong, I want this movie to rule, but some of the pictures I've seen just don't look convincing... dizzy sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought the drama was extremely compelling!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I thought the drama was extremely compelling!

How's therapy going?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Therapy cat has expressed hope... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Look back at all the films Spielberg has done. Look at how he has used CGI. Now, apply that to this new Indy film. Do you really think he's fucked it up? Exactly.

A bit premature seeing as none of us has seen it yet but I have faith in Spielberg's abilities.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

It won't be long before Therapy Cat is banged up for embezelment and cheating on Mrs Therapy Cat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

A bit premature seeing as none of us has seen it yet but I have faith in Spielberg's abilities.

The guy hasn't made a dud film since Hook, and even that I enjoy. It does help that I am a devout Spielberg follower, but this guy really knows what he's doing... I just wish he could teach George 'I like to shit all over my own films' Lucas a thing or two.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

The guy hasn't made a dud film since Hook, and even that I enjoy. It does help that I am a devout Spielberg follower, but this guy really knows what he's doing... I just wish he could teach George 'I like to shit all over my own films' Lucas a thing or two.

Couldn't agree more, Lucas shouldn't have been let anywhere near directing and scripting his own stuff! ( but who would have that kind of power to stop him? )

if that wasn't loaded for someone then I don't know what is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, who was the one that twisted Spielberg's arm to massacre his own masterpiece, E.T., with CGI E.T. and walkie-talkie guns for the 25th anniversary release?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, who was the one that twisted Spielberg's arm to massacre his own masterpiece, E.T., with CGI E.T. and walkie-talkie guns for the 25th anniversary release?

Why, Nazis.
    (I hate those guys)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    To who feels the air looks fake; let's not forget they already used matte-paintings in Temple of Doom. wink CGI just is the new version of that. Personally, I also thought the carchase next to that ravine was a bit CGI-ish, but I just read a Spielberg-article on Indy IV where he states how deep that ravine was, so, well, they did that for real. And that's what I care about most smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If it's done for real, it's going to look real. Period. smile

(I sound so American.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    and walkie-talkie guns for the 25th anniversary release?

-Erik-

wait; WAIT!

WASN'T THAT ONLY A SOUTH PARK JOKE?!??!?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.