• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016
    Yhat Mac file, very small, is in most of my zipped folders I have said and doesn't seem to bother anything at all.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Is wordpress.com different from wordpress.org? Because I can't work how to use the plugins at wordpress.org with my site that's part of wordpress.com.

dizzy

Yes, they are two different hosting sites, I believe. I made the same mistake myself, after posting a question on the .com forum, only to realize I used the services of .org (whose feedback/forum solution is FAR worse).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Do you know what the actual difference is between them?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, I'm afraid not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WordPress.com and WordPress.org

WordPress is a publishing platform that makes it easy for anyone to publish online, and proudly powers millions of websites. It comes in two flavors: the fully hosted WordPress.com, and the self-hosted version, whose software is available for free at WordPress.org.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Thanks Erik. Looking at this it looks like that there's backup included as part of my WordPress.com blog. I assume that the backup is automatic since it is part of their package.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks Erik. Looking at this it looks like that there's backup included as part of my WordPress.com blog. I assume that the backup is automatic since it is part of their package.

Yes, wordpress.com does deal with backups automatically, though I am free to export my blog's content as an XML file.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/export/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016
    Learned something
  4. I have a PC-related conundrum that I'd like some help on.

My second computer - an HP desktop - was taking ages to boot up so I decided to use Defraggler to defrag the HD to see if that would help. I'd already moved all the PC's data to a separate partition on the HD as there was only 35GB left on the 500GB "C" drive, with hardly anything on the "D" data partition.

The data move was fine but the defrag was taking ages to do and seemed to get stuck in a particular part for up to 24 hours. Even though I knew that the defrag of a 500GB (with 25% fragmented files) would take a while, it didn't seem like Defraggler could do the job.

I installed IObit's Smart Defrag 5 and this worked much more speedily. Defragging the large files (one of the options) progressed normally and the disk was defragged ok. I also chose an option to do a Boot Time Defrag. That seems to have progressed to completion ok. But, this seems to be where things have begun to go wrong.

When I do a normal shut down of the PC or do a restart, the PC shuts down okay but when it reboots I get the following: the PC's fan starts up (and doesn't stop), nothing appears on the monitor and there seems to be no activity from the indicator light that flashes when the PC's HD is active. But, I think that I can hear a slight "murmur" from the PC's innards as though there's some HD activity.

I thought that that was it - that perhaps there had been a change to the boot process that "hung" the PC in a perpetual loop. However, when I restart the PC and press F11, the PC boot as normal and gives me the Windows 7 account option screen. I've tried rebooting a couple of times and it's the same thing: without pressing F11 it doesn't boot and I need to press F11 for the PC to boot.

Really, I'm trying to understand what may have happened and perhaps use some diagnostics to see what the problem is with the normal boot.

Any suggestions?
  5. A while back I've had a similar problem, but this was with a dual-boot system, where I couldn't get into one of the two OS's anymore. Boot sector corrupted.

First, try this. Read the section 'Fixing the Master Boot Record (MBR)'

Second, if that doesn't help, try a utility called EasyBCD, normally for making multi-boot records, but it could help to repair the one you're having problems with.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    A while back I've had a similar problem, but this was with a dual-boot system, where I couldn't get into one of the two OS's anymore. Boot sector corrupted.

First, try this. Read the section 'Fixing the Master Boot Record (MBR)'

Second, if that doesn't help, try a utility called EasyBCD, normally for making multi-boot records, but it could help to repair the one you're having problems with.

Your a star Gilles!

Fixing the MBR seems to have done the trick. I wasn't sure whether I could create a System Recovery Disc since I already had problems. But, I could and it seems to have solved my problem of not being able to boot the PC normally.

Thanks again!
  7. Don't thank me, but the one that put the instructions on the internet. All it took from me was a google search. Never forget: google is your friend. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Don't thank me, but the one that put the instructions on the internet. All it took from me was a google search. Never forget: google is your friend. wink

But, it's knowing what question to ask and filtering out all the rubbish answers to find the one that's valid for the problem at hand that's the good thing.

Perhaps something like the MBR that may be obvious to some as a possible source of the problem (and/or solution) but in all the searching I did, I didn't see the MBR fix as a possible route to ending my current problem.
  9. Well, a search engine like google is pretty robust / intelligent in that regard. Sometimes putting in some key words will send you towards a solution. I found that out on more than one occasion.

Despite all the shit happening in the world, a pretty amazing time we live in...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well, a search engine like google is pretty robust / intelligent in that regard. Sometimes putting in some key words will send you towards a solution. I found that out on more than one occasion.

Despite all the shit happening in the world, a pretty amazing time we live in...

yeah i too have these excellent commands saved, for such problems, from google search:

boot from windows disc
    go into recovery / repair mode

CHKDSK c: /f (faster)

then

Bcdboot C:windows

NOTE: Replace C with the drive letter where the system is installed.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

Diskpart LIST DISK SELECT DISK (followed by the number of the disk . most likely 0) LIST PARTITION SELECT PARTITION (followed by your partitioned number. most likely 0) ACTIVE EXIT
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016
    I learned something today
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016
    My computer has problems and it is time to get a new one. I ordered a unit with Linux which I think will be a better operating system than windows. The price was less than a windows unit so we'll see.
    Tom
  10. sdtom wrote
    My computer has problems and it is time to get a new one. I ordered a unit with Linux which I think will be a better operating system than windows. The price was less than a windows unit so we'll see.
    Tom

It will be interesting to see what your experience with Linux is after having had such a long time with Windows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016
    I have a friend who swears by it and he feels that it will take care of my basic needs
  11. Don't throw Windows out of the ...... just yet. wink
  12. Friends of mine are using Linux and they are well pleased. It depends on what you actually want to do with it because you won't get applications for special needs in the same quality (or variability) that you are used to from the Windows counterpart.
    The basic philosophy of Linux differs from Windows. Even customer oriented distributions like Ubuntu don't spare you the command promt entirely. It needs some getting used to.
    You will not be prone to hacking attacks as much as with Windows.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  13. I have a question about the dreaded 'Windows Update'.

Does anyone know how to fix a 'Check for updates' that just keeps checking for updates but never ends?

I've tried troubleshooting Windows Update and it tells me it has repaired a couple of things, but it doesn't help. And then I downloaded 'WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab' to run a diagnostics and it repaired a few more things, but it still didn't help to resolve the problem.

Anyone?
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a question about the dreaded 'Windows Update'.

Does anyone know how to fix a 'Check for updates' that just keeps checking for updates but never ends?

I've tried troubleshooting Windows Update and it tells me it has repaired a couple of things, but it doesn't help. And then I downloaded 'WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab' to run a diagnostics and it repaired a few more things, but it still didn't help to resolve the problem.

Anyone?

The Windows Update did seem to find updates to download but it just seemed to take a lot longer that it usually does.
  15. Not really a computer question but more related to software.

I am looking to try some desktop publishing software to create scientific posters for conferences. Previously I have been using PowerPoint. That works but it does seem rather cumbersome sometimes and I thought that a dedicated desktop publishing software would be better.

Trying to find some free software, something called Scribus seems popular. But my concern is that, when I go to download it from the Scribus website they want me to download it from sourceforge.net and I am concerned that downloading it will lead to other rubbish being downloaded to my PC along with the program I want. All links seem to lead to the sourceforge.net site and I don't really want to use 'unofficial' sites.

Should I be concerned by sourceforge.net (I've read bad reviews about the site). I assume that since the program is open source they may try to generate revenue by using sourceforge.net.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016
    I've downloaded a number of things through Sourceforge throughout the years, and never had an issue. But that's me.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. I had Scribus downloaded and installed with no problem at all for some time on my PC. It is the no 1 freeware solution when it comes to desktop publishing. If your special needs include the display of mathematical equations or chemical structural formulas there may be dedicated applications to consider.

Volker
  17. Captain Future wrote
    I had Scribus downloaded and installed with no problem at all for some time on my PC. It is the no 1 freeware solution when it comes to desktop publishing. If your special needs include the display of mathematical equations or chemical structural formulas there may be dedicated applications to consider.

Volker

I don't need anything as fancy as equations or structures. Just blocks of text and images - which was why PowerPoint was fine to do the job. I just feel something like Scribus would be better for layout and formatting needs.
  18. I have no experience with Sourceforge since the German edition downloads from other servers. Scribus itself I can recommend.
  19. Sourceforge, as far as I used it, never included any "evil" software additions to its download. Just make sure that, should they offer one, you refuse to download their installer, and then it's fine.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  20. I am looking to revamping my backup system and wondering if anyone could recommend a good program. Free or not too exensive would be ideal and one that does incremental backups would be good too.