• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    does it affect the windows overall performance?

No... not at all. Because you will only boot ONE OS at one time, so when running only windows, it will have nothing to do with linux. (linux will not run at the same time after you boot into windows) and vice versa, windows will not run at the same time after you boot into linux. They are completely separated... pretty nifty neh?

The issue here is that although you install wubi IN ms windows, it doesn't RUN INSIDE windows or when ms windows IS RUNNING. The only thing wubi does is making a virtual drive (just a piece of storage) to put linux on it, then it will add the dual boot option automatically. So when you boot your pc you get two choices... boot ms windows or linux. That's it. So for example you choose linux to boot up... you play with it, and you want to use ms windows... you just reboot and choose ms windows in the boot option screen that pops up. Its very simple. Like I said, if you uninstall wubi your whole system will be back to the previous original state, that is, it will boot straight into ms windows just like it always has done. Its totally harmless. (otherwise I would never have tried it on my pc at work!!!)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    sweet! does it on work on vista x64 though?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Yes, wubi should automatically recognize the 64 bit vista and download the 64 bit ubuntu as a result. ... oh yeah... this is also handy... you should still be able to access your windows files even when you booted into linux!

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    You must keep in mind that ubuntu doesn't come with codecs installed (due to licensing issues) however if you want open a media file it should automatically give you to option to install the correct codecs. (any problems, just post here... I'll help, its easy)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Install the correct codecs yeah, but will it want me to buy them? Isn't there a k-lite code mega pack equivalent or something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've downloaded and installed it, it's pretty easy i have to say. Will it ask me which os i want to boot into on boot of the pc or do i have to press F8 and choose manually? Thanks for all the tips man, these all looks very slick. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    To answer your first question... haha ... no need to worry linux is free the codecs too. So when you booted into linux and want to open a media file, most likely a pop up screen will appear which mentions that you need a codec. Just click on a install button and that's it. If that doesn't work for some reason, let me know, its easy to download a whole pack of media codecs at once. In case you didn't know yet, you can download thousands of programs for free (open source) by just simple ticking a box. (go to add/remove, it should be somewhere down in the first pull down menu) type any search description and it will display matches which you can download with one click. All free, all safe. To uninstall any program, just go into add/remove and untick the program. That's it. (but don't forget your admin password!!!, otherwise you can't install/change a thing!)

So there is for example a pack of codecs... for all kinds of multimedia files available... just type 'codecs or codec' or 'flash' or 'mp3' or whatever and it will display results. Then just tick your choice and that's it. Simple.

There is no need to hit any 'F' button while booting, it will show the boot option automatically, just try it and you will see, no need to touch anything. Its easy.

Just start tweaking it to you liking, another wallpaper, theme etc. its pretty straightforward.. and then slowly try to play around with Compiz (the effects), standard the effects are all fixed under 'appearance', this you can find in one of the menus, I don't know by heart which menu, just fiddle around. There is a compiz setting manager which will allow all kinds of impressive 3d window effects, but you'll have to install the setting manager first... don't worry... just search for "compiz setting manager" or something like that in "add/remove". Just search and you will find, I think that's the best way, that way you can learn best. Any questions just let me know here. I love to help. (there is a great forum, with thousands of people here, waiting to help anyone out: http://ubuntuforums.org/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    and one more thing... since you are making use of protools and stuff like that... if you like the plain ubuntu... you can later install (for real, like a dual boot) this: (I think you'll like this)

http://ubuntustudio.org/

It has all kinds stuff pre-installed which might be suitable for you. (its basically the same as Ubuntu, only a bit tweaked with lots of graphic/music programs. For instance, Ardour 2 - A multitrack recorder/editor geared toward people familiar with Pro-Tools.

And no worries, all open source, so free and legal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What's your opinion on VINE and other Windows emulators under LINUX, Talos?
    I'm *this* close to switching to LINUX, but -as said before- there are just a few too many crucial winodws programs I can't (or am unwilling to) migrate to a LINUX-variant.
    A proper emulator would really cinch the deal, but I read a lot of differing opinions on them...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos, thanks SO much for the valuable info my friend! beer

I've heard about the ubuntu studio and it actually looks pretty good but can i install it through the wibu version of ubuntu we've talked about before?

Also, i installed it all right, rebooted, asked me for a boot option, chose ubuntu and then went into a dos-based console that has some "halt", "reboot" and other directory-listing like instructions like "/dick/install/ubuntu" kind-a things i have no clue about! How do i get into the OS?

tHANKS a lot and cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    hmmm... chris... dunno about that particular kind of error. I would suggest to post your question on the ubuntu forum. My first wild guess would be that Vista wasn't shut down properly before you rebooted.

Did you try to boot into Vista first.... then shut down cleanly and then reboot again and choose linux in the boot option? If not, I would try that first. If that doesn't work, I would uninstall Wubi and try the whole thing again. Please keep in mind that there are often some issues, I didn't say it will be perfect the first way round. But this i see as a positive thing, you'll see you will learn a lot right away by problem solving, seriously. haha.

If you want to make sure your pc is linux compatible, you can also burn the ubuntu iso on cd, and run the live cd first, that way you can see if that will work or not. Based on this you will know that ubuntu will work or not, so that there something has to be resolved first. I am not an expert... hope that I could offer a better solution straight away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, will try to solve the problem now. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Note that sometimes files are moved by Windows into a hidden folder called c:found.000. You need to have c:ubuntudisksroot.disk and c:ubuntudisksboot. (somewhere in Vista's c: drive)

If you do not see those, look for "found.000." (without quotation marks)

You need to change the windows explorer settings to be able to see hidden folders first, then move the files from found.000 to their original location.

I got the above info from here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Martijn wrote
    What's your opinion on VINE and other Windows emulators under LINUX, Talos?
    I'm *this* close to switching to LINUX, but -as said before- there are just a few too many crucial winodws programs I can't (or am unwilling to) migrate to a LINUX-variant.
    A proper emulator would really cinch the deal, but I read a lot of differing opinions on them...

I have Wine installed but didn't use it so far... you can check here if your applications are listed. If so and it has a 'gold/silver/platinum' etc award.. meaning the higher value the better the compatiblity.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … nding=true
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    One more thing, if things for you guys don't work out, I still have to give thanks to you guys for trying. For that is a thing many ppl even don't want to do. Respect... but remember just keep on digging and sooner or later you'll find the solution. Just use the ubuntu forums. These guys are really good and very enthousiastic to help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos, appreciated mate! I installed it finally, it works wonders. I am very excited about this and i am now downloading ubuntu studio...if everything works ok, it will surely make for a very pleasant break from stupid windows. Do you happen to know if the applications that will be installed (programs, and updates and LINUX hardware drivers) will go into the 15 gb restricted space the linux holds on my hard disk? What if i want to extend that?

Cheers
  1. Talos wrote
    One more thing, if things for you guys don't work out, I still have to give thanks to you guys for trying. For that is a thing many ppl even don't want to do. Respect... but remember just keep on digging and sooner or later you'll find the solution. Just use the ubuntu forums. These guys are really good and very enthousiastic to help.

What distribution would you recommend for people that don't even want X-Window? Just oldschool console writing and stuff demanding some intelligence.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Talos, appreciated mate! I installed it finally, it works wonders. I am very excited about this and i am now downloading ubuntu studio...if everything works ok, it will surely make for a very pleasant break from stupid windows. Do you happen to know if the applications that will be installed (programs, and updates and LINUX hardware drivers) will go into the 15 gb restricted space the linux holds on my hard disk? What if i want to extend that?

Cheers

So it all working now? Meaning that you can boot into linux without that error that you had previously? (kind of dos screen only) If it works now, I am curious what you did differently the second time round. A few questions: is sound working straight away? Can you access the internet after some tinkering with settings? Is compiz working... (just turn your mousewheel and if you see some desktops switching then it works) I am just curious, thank for the feedback. Success and have fun, you will get used to the differences/similarities very quickly.

Regarding your 15 GB question, 15GB for a test linux with some downloaded programs is quite a lot, unless you gonna to download shitloads of movies, haha. There is a program in ubuntu called 'gparted'... and that's a partition manager, but better don't use it otherwise if some settings are wrong you will screw up you vista install.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Talos wrote

What distribution would you recommend for people that don't even want X-Window? Just oldschool console writing and stuff demanding some intelligence.

No idea, but this link has all linux distros group together (see right column) many choices available, but my preference would be a linux distro which can handle 'deb' files (which is a kind of linux variant to let say.. '.exe'. 'Deb' files are super easy to install and it will offer the most choice of programs easily installable.

http://distrowatch.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Just made a new desktop setup for my little 4 year old daughter.

http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … hotvq5.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    Talos, i continue to get this problem; whilst i DID log in all right and everything works properly, whenever i try to install any of the 2 recommended by linux driver packages for my 2 NVIDIA geforce 8800 gt's, i get the same error when i install and reboot. The stupid dos console thingy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos wrote
    Ok, so its obviously a driver issue that causes this problem. IMPORTANT :Deactivate any graphic drivers in Ubuntu (untick), or I you had to install the whole thing again, just make sure you won't tick the recommended drivers, since these are not working in your case. INSTEAD DO THIS (you are going to install Envy, a driver install program), after you logged in succesfully and have the ubuntu desktop in front of you, do this:

Enable more software sources by doing this:

1) Got to "System" > Administration > Software Sources.

2) You will see an option called "community maintained open source software" select this option. Then press "close", then press "reload".

3) Then you go to the terminal/console... the terminal can be found at Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal. (tip: drag and drop the terminal icon into your desktop or desktop panel, for easier future access.)

When you have the open terminal in front of you, copy past the below line (all of it) in the terminal and hit enter.

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

(it should ask you password now, enter it (invisible), and hit enter)

Now you are installing a program called Envy, this is a program that will help you installing automatically a driver for your graphic card. After the install is complete you can find the program launcher in: Applications > System Tools > Envy. When running Envy select the proper drive and reboot.

Good luck, let me know if it works. Here is the site for Envy: http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Talos my friend, will try it tomorrow and inform you about the results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HIJACKING IN PROGRESS!

you were asking for it

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Hijacking of what?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hijacking of Erik's initial thread. He apparently felt too disturbed to continue posting in this topic here, despite our talk having to do with computers and yeah, desktops from different Operating Systems. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...despite our talk having to do with computers and yeah, desktops from different Operating Systems. wink

sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

sleep

Hey! angry
    You're not allowed in this thread unless you techie-talk!

(Or do you have an old Amiga? They used to have these "zZZ" animated icons for when the computer was processing. smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Any luck with the driver install, Chris...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    I have been pretty swamped during the last days my friend, i am living for Cyprus in a few hours for holidays and i've been running against the clock to complete and deliver some last-minute works. When i find the time i will do it 'cause i really want to, and let you know asap! Thanks a lot for your input!

Cheers