• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    You're already putting your degree to worthy use, Martijn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh God. You're one of those people who, when I try to explain how I try and manage strategic changes in business processes using ICT, listen politely, conclude I do "somfin'"with computers and ask "can you 'ook op me printer, then?"

suicide
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You can do that? My god. You are some kind of sorcerer! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Oh God. You're one of those people who, when I try to explain how I try and manage strategic changes in business processes using ICT, listen politely, conclude I do "somfin'"with computers and ask "can you 'ook op me printer, then?"

suicide

Yes please! wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote

suicide

cheesy cheesy cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    With my computer maintitles doesn't seem to refresh my posts anymore Bregt until I log off and log on again. Just a little deal not a big one.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    is there a program that I don't have to pay for that is compatible with Word/Office ie will it open the 2007 programs. I've got a new computer and I'm struggling with it. I do like the speed however.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    is there a program that I don't have to pay for that is compatible with Word/Office ie will it open the 2007 programs. I've got a new computer and I'm struggling with it. I do like the speed however.
    Thomas

OpenOffice can open documents from Word/Office 2007. It is free-
    http://download.openoffice.org/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Openoffice TOm, there's no other but don't expect it to be at the levels of payware office by microsoft.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Openoffice TOm, there's no other but don't expect it to be at the levels of payware office by microsoft.

In saying that, it does all that the every-day user needs - in my experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How does it differ from Word?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It has way less features and other stuff like its alternative for POWERPOINT is way behind. But for standard everyday needs, it's perfect. And it's free, most importantly.
  2. sdtom wrote
    How does it differ from Word?

I don't use OpenOffice at the moment - I've got an old version of Microsoft's Office Suite (that I can't get rid of because I don't have the installation disc(s) anymore - but I remember it looking and behaving pretty much like Word.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Open office's word processor is pretty good actually, for the basic needs. It looks and behaves just like MS WORD. But the rest of the open office package is pretty poor in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Word is what I need the most to do my writing. I plan to keep the old war horse to do the printing etc.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    D and Alan,
    I did download the free software. If I send this file to someone who has Office 2007 will they be able to open it and read it?

I found it to be satisfactory at least for now.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It can be opened and read yes, the contrary is the fishy bit. If someone creates a document in office 2007 and puts headers and footers or complex graphics in it, openoffice will most likely have problems with it. It'll open it, but the graphics will be all over the place, unaligned, missing etc. You can always do a little test with someone though.
  3. sdtom wrote
    D and Alan,

That sounds so official! wink

As "D" says, there's likely to be issues with some of the formatting in an OpenOffice-generated document when viewed in Word, etc.

Maybe if you convert the OpenOffice document to a PDF file then that would solve the formatting problem? I've been using "PDF reDirect" when converting from Word to PDF and found it quite useful. It's free and it adds itself to your list of printer choices. Instead of choosing to prin to a printer, if you print to the PDF reDirect, the program opens and you "print" the Word document as a saved PDF file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan's right, converting anything to pdf guarantees the other party will see its content no matter what. But they won't be able to edit it. Plus, although office 2007 (word) has an option to directly save as .pdf file, i don't know if open office word processor can do it too?
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    ...But they won't be able to edit it...

That's the beauty with a PDF!! But, it may not be what you want, Tom. If you want someone to edit the document you are sending - and formatting is important to you - then the OpenOffice (±PDF conversion) - may not be for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Currently I'm working on a review so when I finish it I'll send it off and see. I also work on a newsletter. In fact let me do that now just to see with the review at least.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    that failed because D's e-mail wouldn't go through and I don't have Alan's. I'll try Erik.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the answer from Erik came back that he can't open it with anything, yuk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    the answer from Erik came back that he can't open it with anything, yuk

Shouldn't you be able to save it as a doc file compatible with Office? Try this
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/2 … e-formats/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll give this a try
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010 edited
    I've got a question about the speed of my connection tonight. Could it just be a variable service?

My internet connection is via Speedtouch Connection USB ADSL PPP (whatever this is) via Orange. Speed is being quoted at the moment at 5.1 Mbps (though, in reality it's only ever about 2-2.3 Mbps) but I've been having issues with listening to clips on Amazon (only short bursts & dropping out frequently).

I did a web page loading test - getting load times of ~4 secs (some a lot quicker some slower - MSN was really slow at >40 secs loading time). An internet speed test at the moment is taking ages to complete and at the moment it's quoting a speed of 29 kbps (yes, you heard me 29 kbps).

My real question is whether this could just be down to some temporary ISP-related issue rather than something more serious.

Cheers.

[Edit] I tried the speed checker again and it came back with:

Download speed: 264 kbps
    Upload speed: 328 kbps
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Mine is TERRIBLE as well tonight. Only getting 1Mbps. (Telenet, Belgium, usually gives 20Mbit).
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    worth a phone call if you can talk to a person
  5. Just in case people couldn't sleep as a result of my earlier question, today's much better: 3.5 Mbps speed. Must have been an ISP problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    sleep sleep sleep

slept just fine last night
    Thomas