• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Must admit it's been a while since I've listened all the way through to any score album that ran more than an hour. Not even Shore's LOTR and Star Wars have been able to get that out of me, lately. Only compilations.
    I'm not trying to troll in saying this btw. It's funny though. There was a time when I equated EXPANDED with GOOD, but those days are some way behind me now. Time is short, savour the best, spend the money elsewhere.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    dgoldwas wrote
    The album is longer, and has more material than was on the bootleg. The sound quality is exceptional, and has been remastered from pristine sources. Simply put, 2010 mastering technology is better than 1996 mastering technology. At least, that's my opinion.

Interesting that you bring that up because I actually prefer the sound of the original Eraser soundtrack to the one you guys remastered. Not saying that the sound is terrible I just find that there are certain details in the Dennis Sands' recording that didn't really come through in the expanded edition.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. The evolution of technology and one's personal preference if the old technology works great, don't always go hand in hand...

Would anyone prefer the new Star Wars CGI over the miniature / model / compositing effects of the old Star Wars? I think not !

And call me strange but I've always preferred the harsh sound of the older Star Wars trilogy scores over the new ones... I don't know the new ones sound too polished, less in your face.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Erik Woods wrote
    Interesting that you bring that up because I actually prefer the sound of the original Eraser soundtrack to the one you guys remastered. Not saying that the sound is terrible I just find that there are certain details in the Dennis Sands' recording that didn't really come through in the expanded edition.

Well Erik, obviously technological advances is only ONE part of the equation. The guy DOING the mastering might make a difference, too! And the folks who mastered ID4 didn't master ERASER, so.... kinda apples and oranges!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dgoldwas wrote
    Well Erik, obviously technological advances is only ONE part of the equation. The guy DOING the mastering might make a difference, too! And the folks who mastered ID4 didn't master ERASER, so.... kinda apples and oranges!

Thanks for the info.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    I've followed him for the past month on Twitter. He seems kind of crazy. But his music still rocks punk
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Panthera wrote
    I've followed him for the past month on Twitter. He seems kind of crazy. But his music still rocks punk
    His tweets are pretty brilliant actually! I follow him too and he has a great wacky sense of humor.

What's he working on now? The third Narnia?
  3. I follow him on Twitter too. He's totally out of the blue sometimes!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Me too. His tweets are hilarious! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Would anyone prefer the new Star Wars CGI over the miniature / model / compositing effects of the old Star Wars? I think not !

I absolutely do prefer the new CGI. I also absolutely prefer the original movies, and the original scores. The problem with the prequel movies is not the way they look, they look amazing. The problem is the way they are written, and to a lesser extent the way they are acted.

Not to start a silly argument, I just had to point out that I am somebody and I do prefer the CGI over the old effects.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010 edited
    So you prefer CGI Yoda over the brilliant puppetry in Empire Strikes Back? Or The Asteroid Field chase from AOTC over the absolutely stunning Asteroid Field pursuit from Empire? Or the way too much going on space battle from Sith over the brilliant motion control camera and miniatures battle from Jedi. CGI has it's place but for the most part what ILM did in the Star Wars trilogy is far more impressive then what they did in the Space Fights* trilogy.

As for the acting... well, if the actors had a competent director and maybe someone or something to act with instead of just green screen then we might have seen less cardboard performances. But then again, the scripts were godawful so unless there was a complete re-write by another screen writer (Lawrence Kasden where are you?) then there was nothing that could have saved the mess that was the prequel trilogy.

* - © Steven

-Erik-

PS - I just wanted to point out that I don't mind some of the CGI tweaks and fixes they did for the original trilogy. Cleaning up a few effects here and there is fine but the new Mos Eisley sequence is vomit Jabba's appearance in Star Wars is vomit The Sarlaac "beak" is vomit Boba Fett's new voice is vomit The new ending to Jedi is vomit etc, etc, etc. Argh! Improper use of CGI blows!

But Independence Day... now that's a great score by DAVID ARNOLD! Don't ya think? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Honest to god, anyone who actually prefers the soulless, lifeless, shitty computer-game look of the prequels is just wrong.

Wrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't prefer them, but I think they're quite good and severely underrated by longtime STAR WARS fans, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They're utter crap... although I did enjoy Sith which showed signs of the magic and drama of the original trilogy.

But Phantom and Clones blew and I will let Red Letter Media do the explaining for me.

Phantom Review
    Clones Review

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    They're utter crap... although I did enjoy Sith which showed signs of the magic and drama of the original trilogy.

-Erik-

They have their weaknesses, yes (especially in terms of Lucas' difficulties in directing actors, plus some rather stale performances by both Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen), but they're not crap.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Crap I tells ya! Crap! Two of the worse films (AOTC being the worst offender) I've ever laid eyes on. Yes, they have SOME highlights but for the most part they are dreadful films.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Crap I tells ya! Crap! Two of the worse films (AOTC being the worst offender) I've ever laid eyes on. Yes, they have SOME highlights but for the most part they are dreadful films.

-Erik-

Then you haven't seen enough bad films! Go see FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS, for example. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

They have their weaknesses, yes (especially in terms of Lucas' difficulties in directing actors, plus some rather stale performances by both Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen), but they're not crap.

They are crap, purely for what they try to do to the Star Wars universe. I know you're not a fan of those reviews (because you're weird), but they do reveal certain ahem drawbacks of the prequels.

Lucas is a hack of a filmmaker... but a competant business man, simply for his on going rape of the Star Wars franchise.

Oh, and Independence Day is awesome. Independence Day was composed by David Arnold. I like David Arnold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

They are crap, purely for what they try to do to the Star Wars universe. I know you're not a fan of those reviews (because you're weird), but they do reveal certain ahem drawbacks of the prequels.

Lucas is a hack of a filmmaker... but a competant business man, simply for his on going rape of the Star Wars franchise.

Oh, and Independence Day is awesome. Independence Day was composed by David Arnold. I like David Arnold.

Why don't you tell us what you REALLY feel?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well I feel very strongly about this. Lucas should never have made those films, or at the very least should have allowed someone more competent to direct them and help write the screenplay. All the magic and charm of the original films is NO WHERE to be found in the new ones.

As those Red Letter Media reviews expertly point out (among many other things), Lucas managed to flush away the magic of the force and lightsabers in one scene, not to mention using lightsabers in almost EVERY GODFORSAKEN SCENE. They were cool in the original films because whenever they were used, we knew something awesome was about to happen.

God I hate Lucas, I really do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Then you haven't seen enough bad films! Go see FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS, for example. smile

I'm sure that's bad, too.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

One word... MIDICHLORIANS!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Well I feel very strongly about this. Lucas should never have made those films, or at the very least should have allowed someone more competent to direct them and help write the screenplay. All the magic and charm of the original films is NO WHERE to be found in the new ones.

As those Red Letter Media reviews expertly point out (among many other things), Lucas managed to flush away the magic of the force and lightsabers in one scene, not to mention using lightsabers in almost EVERY GODFORSAKEN SCENE. They were cool in the original films because whenever they were used, we knew something awesome was about to happen.

Strange, though, that kids and teens who grew up with the new films love them just as much you did when you saw the original trilogy. Hmmm......
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not much to add really as I wholeheartedly agree with Steven and Erik, the prequals were all show and no substance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Strange, though, that kids and teens who grew up with the new films love them just as much you did when you saw the original trilogy. Hmmm......

Those kids are weird, too! My goal as a father of a child who has already seen the original Star Wars is to let him discover the prequels on his own... meaning that I will hide the prequel DVD's that I do own so that he never finds them! I have to protect my children from the evils of this world!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I bet they won't grow up to feel as passionately about those crap-fests as fans of the originals have.

The most memorable characters from the new ones are characters that already existed in the originals! Who remembers ANYTHING Mace Windu ever said or did!? Try to describe his character using just a few words like you might do for Han Solo (roguish, charming, heroic). Go on, try it. Or indeed for Padme. Or any other new character Lucas introduced in the prequels! Absolute bollocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, and Jar-Jar doesn't count. He was memorable for the wrong reasons.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Padme needs a darn good rogering to take that sour sucking on a wasp, face off.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh yeah, and I can never get past the fact Hayden Christianson looks more like Prince William than Darth Vader.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Honest to god, anyone who actually prefers the soulless, lifeless, shitty computer-game look of the prequels is just wrong.

Wrong!

Word. The original ones are history. The new takes are attempts to make money, most of them empty and soulless, like the bunch of similarly-oriented Hollywood actions out there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.