• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    There's no prominent theme to this game. I just threw in a bunch of cues that are all very cool and a lot of them being underrated works.

There are 20 clips out of which 2 of them are the bonus clips which have double points. That's a total of 44 points for identifying the composer and movie for each of them.

PM your guess as usual. This game will run for about a week. Some of the clips might be on the harder side but do check the hints (will add them soon) for help on those. I hope you will discover some new gems in this game.

General clues
    Clips are arranged chronologically
    There were 3 years which featured more than 1 clip
    Clips 1-18 span 65 years

Download the clips here (clips expire in 1 week)
    http://download.yousendit.com/BEE25A556C5CB4BE
    Let me know if you have any difficulty with downloading

Hints
    #1 Whoah! What a fantastic debut! This is by no means an underrated work. It fetched the composer his first oscar nomination right away. One of the top composers of all time!

#2 The theme should be very familiar to everyone. It became famous thanks to a number of song versions (one of them by Elvis). One of those songs from 1960s became super-popular in 1990 when it was used in a movie.

#3 A composer who has done a lot of fooling around writing quirky scores writes one of the most charming love themes for characters most symbolic of love.

#4 Hah, what a cool and laid-back melody for a sinner! This composer is perhaps most famous for another work. How on earth did a theme from an erotic movie (he scored many of those) land up in a kiddie TV show? Ask Kermit!

#5 This score hasn't had a full cd release. Thank god for the Silva Screen Records compilations! Yet another charming love theme for a TV film featuring two top stars (one of whom was knighted and the other- a multiple Oscar winner).

#6 This composer was in my previous (Water) game too. Here's a mysterious love theme for a director whom he is often associated with. The mystery starts with the discovery of a severed ear. Eek!

#7 The sax player's photo is on the score cd cover. Who could it be? The composer is often criticized for his borrowings.

#8 Isn't this game of random cues like a box of chocolates? You don't know what you're going to get

#9 What a surprise from a Media Ventures chap! He's more known for a fast movie (the bad man in that film also played a baddie in #6). Can you spot the ethnic influence in this cue? Don't get caught with drugs in Malaysia.

#10 One of the fun themes in a remake starring an Irish actor who has retired from a film franchise that the composer of #5 was famous for.

My sunny days are over, I am now retired
    Awarded many times, I've been greatly admired.
    Epic and majestic, lush and tender, simple and sparse,
    I have done them all. Southall can pick me out with just a few bars
    Alas one day my son showed his Korg, and got me hooked
    Gee! Those synthesizers have some cool sounds that can't be overlooked
    Since then my orchestral gifts went waning and afar
    Yes my name is ________ ________

#12 A delightful score by a couple of Media Ventures graduates (surprising, isn't it?). The score also features kazoos and Film Score Monthly has a nice article on one of the great cues in this.

#13 Glorious trumpet solo that gives way to a choral beauty. All his religion-themed scores have been top notch. This one is a TV film about the Pope.

#14 That's a very famous young violinist playing (he receives a music credit that can be looked up on IMDB). From a British composer. There's another connection to the lead actress in this film and the lead actor in #10

#15 Yay! A score release from this country is a rarity! Unfortunately the movie (biopic about a forgotten hero) flopped and the music was forgotten. Here's another composer who made a stunning debut (this is not that film though). On the day of the recording for his first film none of the musicians turned up. They had all left him (after all he was a newbie so why play for him if they could earn more elsewhere). The composer performed everything by himself on the synthesizers and went on to win all the awards.

#16 This Turkish director's films usually have some sort of homosexuality theme. Not this time. His collaborations with this composer have produced very good scores and this one is probably the composer's best.

#17 A beautiful film adaptation of a book by a Pulitzer prize (fiction) winning novelist. The lead actor ate plenty of hamburgers, escaped from Gitmo and went to Amsterdam.

#18 Wow! Media Ventures take a bow! Here's a gorgeous theme that plays over the opening scene of a napalm attack. Based on a true story

Bonus
    #B1 (from 1985) Talk about anachronism! The setting is medieval Europe. This clip moves from golden age'ish / renaissance-styled to Dave Grusin-like blues and then into 80s synth pop. Way too cool and crazy! The lead actress is also a bird sometimes.

#B2 (from 2005) Outstanding Spanish score from the Saimel record label. A terminally ill musician decides to write a symphony with the help of street musicians most of whom are illegal immigrants. Youtube has clips of the music and movie trailer.

I initially had the clues for clips #17 and 18 switched. It has been corrected now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    Woah, great game, i recognized several but i need the clues mate!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    Sent some answers....not a strong start from me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    Gonna play this tomorrow!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I just send in my first guesses too.I'll certainly try again! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Please note that I had mistakenly interchanged the hints for #17 and 18. It's been corrected.

Also #4 is from a movie that is different from the one which had a theme used in the kiddie TV show.

I'll post the current score later this evening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've sent some more answers.

If nobody else plays maybe I'll have a chance of winning? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    I've sent some more answers.

If nobody else plays maybe I'll have a chance of winning? wink

Timmer is indeed in ominous form and so is Demetris. But there's still someone ahead of him.

I hate doing the compilation of scores. Will do it later. It would be nice if people could quote the replies and add new guesses there so I can keep track of the new scores easily.
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Please note that I had mistakenly interchanged the hints for #17 and 18. It's been corrected.

Also #4 is from a movie that is different from the one which had a theme used in the kiddie TV show.

I'll post the current score later this evening.

Maybe the correction will help with these recent scores - but I doubt it!!

There are at least a couple of clips that I definitely need to follow up after this game ends.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    And finally a score update-

zirael moves straight to first place with an excellent set of guesses (getting both the bonuses) but she has to be on her toes since JuPe (also got both bonus cues) and Timmer are very close. And Alan is yet to submit his 2nd guess.
    A warm welcome to LSH for playing the GTS game wave
    Demetris once again performs at 300% spin

zirael 39 points
    JuPe 35 points
    Timmer 33 points
    Southall 31 points

FalkirkBairn 22 points
    Demetris 16 points
    Stavroula, LSH 14 points
    The Grey Pilgrim, Bregje 10 points

What about other folks like Southall and Franz? Can they quietly steal away the first place?

Edit: Southall joins in with an excellent performance and now we have 4 people in the 30s. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Peter, JuPe and Ranietz are the new entrants to this game and they all perform very well. wave It's a tough battle at the top with Alan joining in.

zirael 39 points
    JuPe 35 points
    Timmer 33 points
    FalkirkBairn 32 points
    Southall 31 points

plindboe 27 points
    Ranietz 18 points
    Demetris 16 points
    Stavroula, LSH 14 points
    The Grey Pilgrim, Bregje 10 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    Sorry, I forgot to update this.

A number of people gradually moving up and a warm welcome to Tommy_Boy! Stavroula and Bregje pull level with Demetris. Meanwhile zirael has all the answers except for the 1st one.

zirael 42 points wave
    JuPe 35 points
    Timmer 33 points
    FalkirkBairn 32 points
    Southall 31 points

plindboe 27 points
    Ranietz 18 points
    Tommy_Boy 17 points
    Demetris, Stavroula, Bregje 16 points punk
    LSH 14 points
    The Grey Pilgrim 10 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote

Demetris, Stavroula, Bregje 16 points punk

Who am i with? Who am i with?!?!? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who am i with? Who am i with?!?!? wink

With me if you turn your ears on!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ..... however that doesn't contradict the fact that i am unwontedly ravishing to the other sex.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ..... however that doesn't contradict the fact that i am unwontedly ravishing to the other sex.

That goes without saying! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked biggrin
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    I'll post the answers later this evening. Bregt and DemonStar are the newest players. JuPe does admirably well to finish up with all except 2 clips. Here are the latest scores-

zirael 42 points wave
    JuPe 40 points dizzy
    Timmer 33 points
    FalkirkBairn 32 points
    Southall 31 points

plindboe 27 points
    Ranietz 18 points
    Tommy_Boy 17 points
    Demetris, Stavroula, Bregje 16 points cool
    LSH 14 points
    Bregt 13 points wave
    DemonStar 2 points wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Can you wait until tomorrow evening?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Bregt wrote

OK. Friday night US time then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    Last call for guesses... the answers will be posted tonight (US time).

Ralph Kruhm is the newest entrant and he falls just short of Demetris and his bevy of girls wink
    zirael gets clip #1 finally and completes the game once again! punk

zirael 44 points cool
    JuPe 40 points dizzy

Timmer 33 points
    FalkirkBairn 32 points
    Southall 31 points
    plindboe 27 points

Ranietz 18 points
    Tommy_Boy 17 points
    Demetris, Stavroula, Bregje 16 points cool
    Ralph Kruhm 15 points biggrin
    LSH 14 points
    Bregt 13 points wave
    DemonStar 4 points wave
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Bregt wrote

OK. Friday night US time then.

Better close BhelPuri, I don' want Bregt to finish before me tongue

Ps, If nobody objects and if I'm not passing someone up, I can throw a third hidden treasures game up this sunday, but if anyone was planning something, let me know and I'll wait a couple of weeks
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    I haven't time now for some last guesses but I'm happy with my 33 points.

I tried harder on this game than I have on many others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Ps, If nobody objects and if I'm not passing someone up, I can throw a third hidden treasures game up this sunday, but if anyone was planning something, let me know and I'll wait a couple of weeks

Sure, go for it! I probably owe two of these games now. I've started jotting down a list of possible scores and haven't experimented with the editing software yet. I'll get it together eventually!
  3. Tommy_Boy wrote
    If nobody objects and if I'm not passing someone up, I can throw a third hidden treasures game up this sunday, but if anyone was planning something, let me know and I'll wait a couple of weeks

Sure, go ahead.

Well done again, zirael! punk

Maybe a game with really obscure clips and very vague clips is in order to really test you out? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008 edited
    Alright! So those were the final scores! Many thanks to all for the large number of players for this one! punk

This was a varied set of clips and there were quite a number of European composers and none of the biggies like Williams or Goldsmith (that's also kind of representative of what I have sad )

The cd covers from the albums that the clips were taken from-
    http://i28.tinypic.com/2z5nq54.jpg

Answers
    #1 Bernard Herrmann (Citizen Kane)

#2 Alex North (Unchained)
    A classic! This is the theme that led to Unchained Melody made famous by The Righteous Brothers and the movie Ghost.

#3 Nino Rota (Romeo and Juliet)

#4 Piero Umiliani (La Raggaza dalla Pelle di Luna)
    Umiliani composed the Mahna Mahna song for a fake documentary (erotic) called Sweden: Heaven and Hell. Years later it became the Muppet song. This score (Woman with the moon skin) is a fun ride with many variations on this gorgeous theme.

#5 John Barry (Love Among The Ruins)
    Unmistakably Barry. It was only a question of finding which score of his. It's from a score not released on CD but a lovely suite exists on Silva's Essential John Barry compilation

#6 Angelo Badalamenti (Blue Velvet)
    Remember! Synths and mystery = Badalamenti (this was also one of the clues for Franz's waltz game)

#7 James Horner (Sneakers)
    A very young Branford Marsalis on the sax. Perhaps the last part of the clip reminded you of A Beautiful Mind

#8 Alan Silvestri (Forrest Gump)
    The famous feather theme!

#9 Marc Mancina (Return to Paradise)

#10 Bill Conti (The Thomas Crown Affair)
    Fun, fun, fun score! Go Conti!

#11 Maurice Jarre (Sunshine)
    One of the last orchestral scores of Jarre and a stunner at that!

#12 Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell (Chicken Run)
    Do check out FSM's Great Cue article on Chicken Run - http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … en_Run.asp

#13 Ennio Morricone (Il Papa Buono)
    I was delighted with one of the guesses of Marco Frisina for this clip. Frisina is really the best guess for religious scores but Ennio did quite a few himself.

#14 Nigel Hess (Ladies in Lavender)
    That's Joshua Bell on the violin

#15 A. R. Rahman (Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero)
    So Herrmann and Doyle might have written the finest debut scores. But nothing beats the against-the-odds debut and impact that this composer made. His debut film Roja was performed on synths because none of the musicians came for the recording. Hah, check out his keyboard in this pic http://i28.tinypic.com/i4r6us.jpg
    This score on the other hand is his most under-rated to date. We're fortunate that there's about a good 35 minutes of score released (a rarity for Bollywood)

#16 Andrea Guerra (Cuore Sacro)

#17 Nitin Sawhney (The Namesake)
    One of my favorite cues of 2006 was this opening credits theme from Namesake, starring Kal Penn (who played Kumar in the Harold and Kumar movies)

#18 Klaus Badelt (Rescue Dawn)
    Beautiful! Why doesn't he compose more like this instead of going by the MV/RCP formula?

#Bonus 1 Andrew Powell (Ladyhawke)
    This was solely for the fun quotient. I didn't think anyone other than Thor would get this correct.

#Bonus 2 Luis de Arquer (Sinfonia de Ilegales)
    I cannot recommend this score enough! Here are youtube links to the movie trailer and the composer playing this on piano. Thanks to Juan Angel Saiz of Saimel label for producing this!
  4. Not surprising that I got only 10. I don't even know the rest!

Otherwise, another good game. Keep 'em coming!
  5. wow, some nice clips there, I really want to check several out

Anyway, I will throw my game on the market this sunday, now I'm off to drink beer and harrass women! Happy weekend you all biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Damn, I completely forgot to play. I knew Thomas Crown, Ladies in Lavander, and I should've gotten #1 and #2. But good game nonetheless!

I'm going to look for that Namesake score!
    Kazoo