• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Romantic Era composer, whose music has featured as incidental music in the films Parting Glances and Rubin and Ed. Any fans of the composer here? I absolutely love his symphonies; I have recordings of all but Mahler's third, with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic (except the Mahler 8 in the cycle is with the London Symphony Orchestra), and am starting to buy from Valery Gergiev's new cycle with the London Symphony Orchestra, as well. I also own recordings of Das Lied von der Erde and Mahler 2, with Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra, Kindertotenlieder, with Leonard Bernstein and the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, and Mahler 5, with Lorin Maazel and the Vienna Philharmonic. Anyways, just wondering if there are any fellow Mahler fans, and if so, any advice on good recordings to purchase? What recordings do you own? Favorite works?
  1. I'm just beginning to explore Mahler's work. I've been listening to Symphony 1 a lot this week. I must get Symphony 2 and get into that too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I have two recordings of Symphony No. 1, and have seen it performed live. Really incredible to see it live; at the end of the finale all the eight or nine horn players stand up and belt out their notes (I'm an amateur hornist smile) Anyways, yeah, keep listening! Mahler 2 is also really great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The first time I've heard Mahler was in the soundtrack to The Bride of the Wind. I forget which symphony but the adagietto is one of the most gorgeous pieces I have ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    It's from Mahler 5, and was composed for his girlfriend/wife, Alma, if I remember correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    I love the fourth movement "Sturmisch Bewegt" of his Symphony no: 1! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can highly recommend Bruno Walter for any available recordings. He was an outstanding conductor of Mahler
    http://www.sonyclassical.com/artists/walter/bio.html

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm eating up the massive Symphony No. 3 just now. This and his 8th are all I know atm.
    I'm very impressed with his music so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I was first exposed to Mahler by my French horn teacher, a member of our local professional orchestra. She gave me and my family free tickets to see Mahler 9, and I thought it was great. I soon bought an used old live recording of Bruno Walter and the Vienna Philharmonic. As it was recorded in 1938, sound quality isn't the best on it, but Walter leads a very good interpretation. As I understand it, Mr. Walter actually knew Mahler, and was pretty close to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    I love the fourth movement "Sturmisch Bewegt" of his Symphony no: 1! punk

Oh, yeah! That's a really good movement. I recently bought a recording of that symphony off the iTunes store, from the new Gergiev/LSO cycle. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Beautiful sound - it sounds really fresh, and was recorded in January 2008, great interpretation, everything. I'm really liking this new cycle. Apparently this is a new start for Gergiev, as he is Russian and previously has recorded only Russian works. The sixth from that cycle is also good. So far, these are the only two they're released, but these two were only spaced about couple months apart, so keep your eye out the new additions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    No problem. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Here's an article about Mahler's music, posted on NPR Music: Classical, about a month ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Here is a forthcoming recording of Mahler 7, one of my personal favorites from the composer, from the cycle I mentioned above, with Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra. These seem to be coming out a couple months apart, and are very, very good recordings in all aspects!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    And here is a forthcoming release of Mahler 3, from that same cycle. Can't wait for this one. I've actually never heard Symphony No. 3, but I'm sure the LSO will deliver a stunning rendition, as they always do.
  2. Mahler's second symphony is the only one of his I've heard. The time I heard it performed, though was unforgettable. It was performed at BYU in just the scope Mahler had intended (double orchestra with more horns off stage and a choir of 100s). It blew me away. The finale made me cry. That's something none of my soundtracks has ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    christopher wrote
    Mahler's second symphony is the only one of his I've heard. The time I heard it performed, though was unforgettable. It was performed at BYU in just the scope Mahler had intended (double orchestra with more horns off stage and a choir of 100s). It blew me away. The finale made me cry. That's something none of my soundtracks has ever done.

Mahler 2 is one of my favorites by the composer. I currently only have one recording of the work, from way back in the 1930s. I eagerly await the LSO's rendition in the new Gergiev/LSO cycle, which will allow me to finally hear the work in its full scope and brilliance, as Mahler intended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008 edited
    OK.
    I now officialy had too much port for one evening.
    I read (three times running) "Mahler 2 is my favourite composer", and I had this whole post going about clones and multiple-personality syndrome when I read what you properly wrote.

shame

I'm off to bed.
    dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    OK.
    I read (three times running) "Mahler 2 is my favourite composer", and I had this whole post going about clones and multiple-personality syndrome when I read what you properly wrote.

shame

I'm off to bed.
    dizzy

What!? Just as you get flakier and funnier!!! Get back here dabnabbit! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    OK.

shame

I'm off to bed.
    dizzy

What!? Just as you get flakier and funnier!!! Get back here dabnabbit! slant

MY GOD MAN, that was the main theme of what i was typing in as a reply as well!!!!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    THEN STOP DRINKING MY PORT!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    biggrin

beer tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Here is a forthcoming recording of Mahler 2. I really can't wait to get my hands on this one! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Hope your happy with this new recording. He is quite well recorded
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Hope your happy with this new recording. He is quite well recorded
    Thomas

Well, seeing as I've liked every other recording so far in this cycle, I think there's a pretty good chance of me liking this one too. And since my only other recording of this work is from the 1930s... I think it has a great chance of being a new favorite. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Many of the great conductors performed the Mahler cycle such as Haitink, Walter, Szell, Ormandy, Bernstein, Von Karajan, and others.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Many of the great conductors performed the Mahler cycle such as Haitink, Walter, Szell, Ormandy, Bernstein, Von Karajan, and others.
    Thomas

I've heard Bernstein and Karajan, but not the others you mentioned. Perhaps I will hear them all in good time. I particularly enjoy Bernstein's Mahler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bruno Walter is worth exploring. Szell conducted the Cleveland. Ormandy conducted the Philadelphia. Haitink was from the Netherlands.