• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Bruno Walter is worth exploring.

Ah, I forgot to mention him. I own a recording of Mahler 9 with Walter conducting. Great stuff, though my enjoyment of the recording is greatly dampened by the poor audio quality as was to be found in most recordings of the time in which it was made. sad It was recorded in '38, IIRC. However, the recording still holds a special place in my heart as it was the first recording of Mahler I ever purchased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    I'm very amazed at how well Mahler was able to write feeling into his music. Probably some of the most emotional stuff I've ever heard. Music like his really gives you a look into the mind of a genius who died almost a century ago and lived an incomplete life.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wish I wish I wish I could get into Mahler in the same way I adore the music of Vaughan Williams, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Ravel etc. I've always loved bits and pieces of Mahler but never the whole works, I just seem to be incapable of embracing him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Hmmm... Well, what "bits and pieces" in particular do you enjoy? Can you name any specifically?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's more moments. there are a few moments in all of his symphonies that I like and I do own ALL of his symphonies. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy playing his work and I recognise his genius but for the meantime I just can't wholeheartedly embrace him. Tom knows as he's tried to get me to enjoy him more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Hmmm. OK.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm pretty much the same with Mozart.

I am a blasphemer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I'm not as big a fan of Mozart as Mahler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    I think perhaps what Timmer is trying to say is that Mahler isn't as accessible to the ear as others. However, once past that hurdle you'll find he is genius.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Agreed. I never found him to be accessible to my ear. I just heard some cool moments that I enjoyed, and was hooked enough to listen to the entire works again... and again. You can't just get into Mahler through one listen, I feel (unless your ears are already so trained for this sort of thing). There are so many different things you notice with each new listen. For me, the first work of Mahler's I ever heard was his Ninth, in live concert. A truly great experience. And it served as my general introduction to classical music, for which I am thankful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was introduced to Mahler with a performance of his 1st including the blumine movement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    I have heard Mahler's works many, many times over ( one of my very best friends is a massive fan of his work ). It may be an unfair comparison but he's like Danny Elfman to me, someone I have the utmost respect for but just don't click with.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Discovering Mahler's 9th was a devine experience, the most heavenly piece he ever wrote. That atmospheric introduction with the low harp and tremolando violas, and the building tension that results in revelation of emotions all film composers could dream of but never equal! I must say that although Mahler's music is very moody and loud, I actually consider it to be quite accessible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    It may be an unfair comparison but he's like Danny Elfman to me, someone I have the utmost respect for but just don't click with.

Don't worry; I don't click with Danny Elfman either. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    Thus my old signature which was "Some music I just don't understand"
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I have heard Mahler's works many, many times over ( one of my very best friends is a massive fan of his work ). It may be an unfair comparison but he's like Danny Elfman to me, someone I have the utmost respect for but just don't click with.

And yet, my favourite film composer John Barry is a massive fan of Mahler! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I don't listen to much classical music but Mahler's first symphony is really a favourite of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The first is really the one to begin with Tim. Give it a real serious listen sometime where you can listen to it and only it without interruption or disturbance.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Which conductor's version for the first do you think is the best, Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

And yet, my favourite film composer John Barry is a massive fan of Mahler! dizzy

He is? I never knew that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    I don't listen to much classical music but Mahler's first symphony is really a favourite of mine.

Have you heard any of the others?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I heard the fourth and sixth ones once. Liked them but the first is by far my favourite, especially the final movement.
  1. William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

He is? I never knew that.

Yes, Mahler influences are particularly to be heard in his beautiful theme to Somewhere in Time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think to begin with the Leonard Bernstein one is fine. They are available on the Sony Budget Series so it would be quite reasonable.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Ah, thanks! smile
  2. William wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Have you heard any of the others?

I think the second is awesome. It's the only one of his I've heard, and I heard it in concert performed at BYU by the number of musicians it was actually written for (something like a double orchestra, a choir of 100s and some additional horn sections playing from off stage). It was maybe the greatest concert I've ever been to. I would wholeheartedly recommend you check that one out, but I wonder if there are any recordings that would do it justice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    I've certainly never heard the second symphony recorded in such a way before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    Really, Tom? I thought most recordings of Mahler 2 are like that? And christopher, be sure to check out his others. You won't be sorry! beer