• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    This is my 3,000th post, and using it to recommend Cinema Paradiso is as good a use as I can think of! I'd be amazed if you didn't like it after hearing the whole score. I'll play it to you next time we meet up (whenever that may be).

I look forward to that "Morricone Weekend"!

Now there's an idea...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    This is my 3,000th post, and using it to recommend Cinema Paradiso is as good a use as I can think of! I'd be amazed if you didn't like it after hearing the whole score. I'll play it to you next time we meet up (whenever that may be).

Now there's an idea...

In the wilds of Wales? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Now there's an idea...

In the wilds of Wales? cool

Now if I can just get rid of the rest of the family for a couple of days.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009
    Cinema Paradiso is one of the most GORGEOUS film scores you'll ever listen to!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

Not by a long way in my book! I have literally thousands of CDs I've bought in preference to Cinema Paradiso!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not by a long way in my book! I have literally thousands of CDs I've bought in preference to Cinema Paradiso!!

I thought you'd only heard clips!
  4. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I thought you'd only heard clips!

I have only heard clips. But if someone wants to send me a "review copy" of Cinema Paradiso then I'm willing to give it a go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    LES CHORISTES was just shown on Norwegian TV. What a great, heartwarming film in the tradition of DEAD POETS SOCIETY.

I'm not sure which cues are by Bruno Coulais and which are classical pieces, but it all meshed very well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited
    Has anybody heard Brendan et le Secret de Kells? From what I can tell, it's a fairly new release. I just enjoyed listening to some clips and really like the sound of it.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    LSH wrote
    Has anybody heard Brendan et le Secret de Kells? From what I can tell, it's a fairly new release. I just enjoyed listening to some clips and really like the sound of it.

smile

Which label has released it? Where can it be found to purchase?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    thanks D!!

amazon MP3 seems to be getting more diverse in its selection, making it easier to buy foreign scores that would otherwise be very expensive to obtain (the latest Rombi score, for instance). i like it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    Review of De L'Amour:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/de-l-amour/

Probably my favourite Coulais score.
  5. Joep wrote
    Review of De L'Amour:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/de-l-amour/

Probably my favourite Coulais score.

ah, you're still alive wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    I saw Winged Migration going cheap.

What's it like? / worth getting?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very colorful, with heavy vocal work as always with Coulais, lots of songs written by him and there's this gorgeous Nick Cave song as well in there too. If you like non-usual listens which, erm (no pun) put you on a musical travel and are on the sentimental side of things, you'll like it i guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Buy! Great song, good main theme and some exceptional tracks!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I have a feeling Bruno might get quite some award nominations this year for his Coraline score. That is a quite unique and interesting (and great) score and the judges dig that kind of stuff these days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks D and Bregt, I'll pick this up and let you know what I thought in NP. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Just a few thoughts... I first heard Coraline months ago, but it wasn't until the last couple weeks that I really "discovered" Coulais. I found that Deezer offers 8 albums with his name on them. Here are my favorites so far:

Lucky Luke - 8/10 - the catchy main theme feels straight out of the classic westerns of yesteryear, while the rest of the score tends toward Coulais's more experimental tendencies. Lucky Luke offers strong, consistent thematic material and manages to be experimental and creative without losing accessibility. This is my favorite score from Coulais, I think.

Le deuxième souffle - 8/10 - this one is more consistent and cohesive than most of the works I've heard from Coulais. It's also less experimental and (like Lucky Luke) more overtly thematic, which makes it easy to digest. The focus is primarily on the strings, with lovely character added by what I think is an oboe or an English horn (I'm not very good at differentiating instrumentation!), as well as some wonderful brass augmentation at times. Strong thematic material.

La planète blanche - 8/10 - this score encapsulates the one major thing that bothers me about Coulais's music: every track is interesting and engaging, but virtually every track feels like something new--in the sense that it doesn't necessarily seem connected to the ones surrounding it except in a very general stylistic way. La planète blanche comes across to me almost as more of a compilation of similarly-themed tracks rather than a cohesive body of work. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's my impression.

Having said that, though, there is quite a lot to enjoy in this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Make sure you hear what are possibly his best works to date (along with La planète blanche)

Les choristes
    Genesis
    Le peuple migrateur (2001)
    -... aka Winged Migration (Canada: English title: festival title) (USA)
    Himalaya, l'enfance d'un chef
    Vidocq

Brilliant works which altogether hold Coulais' characteristic musical voice more prominently than some of his most recent works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    simplyjosh wrote
    Lucky Luke - 8/10 - the catchy main theme feels straight out of the classic westerns of yesteryear, while the rest of the score tends toward Coulais's more experimental tendencies. Lucky Luke offers strong, consistent thematic material and manages to be experimental and creative without losing accessibility. This is my favorite score from Coulais, I think.

I'm really looking forward to this one!
    Thanks for the review, Josh!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Les choristes
    Genesis
    Vidocq

Y'know, as I've begun to delve into Coulais's discography over the past couple weeks, I've paid particular attention to Coulais-related message board threads--here, at Filmtracks, and at FSM--and the scores you listed always seem to come up as favorites. I guess I'll have to check those out! How would you rank them as far as which ones I should obtain first?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    I think Himalaya is one of his most accessible scores. Very good and memorable main theme that is repeated throughout, mixed with Coulais' recognizable chanting and warm instrumentation. Le Peuple Migrateur is in the same vein, with again a very strong main theme, and the songs at the start are excellent! I'd add La Planète Blanche to this list, since you have heard that one.

Les Choristes has a great main theme, but I don't think is one of his better ones.

I also like De L'Amour a lot, as does our reviewer Joep. Not often mentioned in these lists, but that score has something hypnotic. Joep's review here: http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/de-l-amour/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    simplyjosh wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Les choristes
    Genesis
    Vidocq

Y'know, as I've begun to delve into Coulais's discography over the past couple weeks, I've paid particular attention to Coulais-related message board threads--here, at Filmtracks, and at FSM--and the scores you listed always seem to come up as favorites. I guess I'll have to check those out! How would you rank them as far as which ones I should obtain first?

HIMALAYA and
    WINGED MIGRATION are the most direct, accessible and easily-digested beautiful music / songs he's ever written. His style is pretty choral / vocal based and it seems brilliantly in these works.
    WHITE PLANET is more orchestral, but equally impressive.

Is what you'd listen to, first. Imo.

And of course: Les choristes
    Genesis and Vidocq for a more obscure side of Coulais.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Anyone familiar with 2009's VILLA AMALIA, music by Bruno Coulais?
  6. Winged Creation remains my favourite, but then again I haven't heard a lot of Coulais' music shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How would you describe it?

Also, shame you haven't heard much of Coulais, i'd advice you'd start immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Holy cow! No one's mentioned Le Comte de Monte Cristo? I saw the 7 hr long film just a few weeks back and I have the theme playing in my head even now. It's OOP and I've searched like crazy. But there's always youtube. Very strong work!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHX_knLo_kc
    Hey, you can watch the whole thing on Youtube!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    7 hours of watching on youtube!??? shocked dizzy