• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited
    Before this turns into a long discussion which confuses subject matter and core of argument, there IS no such thing as something that is "rightfully disliked by many".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017
    Except wet socks
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. I love wet socks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017
    Okay, is there a block feature here?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    taking something that is bad and rightfully disliked by many

Is G.I. JANE 'rightfully disliked by many'? It's my impression that both film and score are widely LIKED (or at least that reception was mixed). I know that within my own circle of 'film buddies', the movie is appreciated as a typical example of Scott's feminist cinema.

To be the devil's advocate, I watched it years ago, I don't remember a thing, but my memories aren't all too warm. I somehow remember is as one of Ridley's lesser efforts, however, it might compare favorably to Prometheus as I haven't seen a Scott film that wouldn't compare favorably to Prometheus biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. BobdH wrote
    Before this turns into a long discussion which confuses subject matter and core of argument, there IS no such thing as something that is "rightfully disliked by many".

That's one thing. Another thing is that how could many people exactly know this score well, when it wasn't really officially released? Is there anything available outside of bootlegs?
  4. Yes, There's this one, 3 cues by Jones, 2 long suites holding basically everything worth hearing (IMO).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    I had the pleasure to interview Trevor during Fimucite!

If interested have a gander at: https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/02/tre … interview/
  5. I didn't realise until recently that Trevor Jones was from Cape Town and now lives in South Africa again. Has he ever written any scores for films set in Africa or written any score whichs have an African feel in orchestration? I'd be keen to check them out if he has, any help appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2018
    John Chambers wrote
    I didn't realise until recently that Trevor Jones was from Cape Town and now lives in South Africa again. Has he ever written any scores for films set in Africa or written any score whichs have an African feel in orchestration? I'd be keen to check them out if he has, any help appreciated!

I don't think so, which is a bit weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2018
    Didn't he spend most of the time of his career in London?
  6. I believe so but I read that he has now returned to Cape Town. Does anyone know if he's officially retired or if he still sometimes takes assignments he has a particular interest in?
  7. Thor wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    I didn't realise until recently that Trevor Jones was from Cape Town and now lives in South Africa again. Has he ever written any scores for films set in Africa or written any score whichs have an African feel in orchestration? I'd be keen to check them out if he has, any help appreciated!

I don't think so, which is a bit weird.

Not really. As far as I know the native and white respective cultural spheres in South Africa are still very much separated. So a white South-African artist isn't necessarily more likely to associate himself with African culture than any other artist anywhere outside Africa.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2018
    John Chambers wrote
    I believe so but I read that he has now returned to Cape Town. Does anyone know if he's officially retired or if he still sometimes takes assignments he has a particular interest in?

I believe he's more or less retired from film scoring (especially high profile feature film assignments), but keeping busy as a teacher and educator in music.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I hear he's teaching How to Be a Grumpy Curmudgeon Who Doesn't Work with Specialty Score Labels 101.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2018
    John du Prez's real name is Trevor Jones. I guess everyone already knows that.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    I hear he's teaching How to Be a Grumpy Curmudgeon Who Doesn't Work with Specialty Score Labels 101.

...because he owns a label of his own?