• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Oh man, this is sad news, one of Hollywood's greatest special effects wizards passed away this morning. Details yet unknown!

Pfff, 62 no way an age to pass on sad

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0248514/
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    That guy was a pioneer of real special effects. Shame to see him go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Ah man, what a shame! RIP. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    shocked

I didn't even know he was that old! Or sick! Oh man... sad news sad He was the wizard behind Terminator... Jurassic Park... and go on.

RIP. He will be missed sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Steven wrote
    That guy was a pioneer of real special effects. Shame to see him go.

Indeed Steven, Indeed!

Stan was the modern day equivalent of Ray Harryhausen, I'm astounded that he's gone at such a young age?, Ray is still with us.

He'll be forever known as the effects genius behind Terminator, Aliens, Predator and Jurassic Park.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Hot damn! What a shock! I've seen Aliens for the 30th (give or take one) time a week ago, and his Alien queen is my favourite non human character in any movie. The genius behind Spielberg's dino's and Cameron's cyborgs is no more... Who can replace this godfather of mechanical craftsmanship and creativity?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hot damn! What a shock! I've seen Aliens for the 30th (give or take one) time a week ago, and his Alien queen is my favourite non human character in any movie. The genius behind Spielberg's dino's and Cameron's cyborgs is no more... Who can replace this godfather of mechanical craftsmanship and creativity?

Thankfully he employed a lot of talented people at his studios, so his style of special effects with hopefully live on.
  3. James Cameron has commented on Stan's death, brings a tear to my eye in all honesty...

Thanks for doing what you're doing. You're right, the mainstream media won't get it. They don't understand the important stuff. They're too busy chasing young idiot celebrities around the rehab circuit.

Stan was a great man. I'm proud to have been his friend, and his collaborator on what for both of us, was some of our best work. We met in pre-production on Terminator in 1983, and quickly sized each other up as the kind of crazy son of a bitch that you wanted for a friend. We've stayed friends for over a quarter of a century, and would have been for much longer if he had not been cut down.

We've lost a great artist, a man who made a contribution to the cinema of the fantastic that will resound for a long long time. I don't need to list the indelible characters he and his team of artists brought to the screen. Readers of your site know them.

We all know Stan's work, the genius of his designs. But not even the fans necessarily know how great he was as a man. I mean a real man --- a man who knows that even though your artistic passion can rule your life, you still make time for your family and your friends. He was a good father, and he raised two great kids. His wife of 37 years, Karen, was with him in the beginning, helping him make plaster molds in their garage for low budget gigs on TV movies, and she was with him at the end.

He was a man of incredible humor. When I think of him I see him smiling, usually a goofy grin as he twists his glasses askew on his nose doing a Jerry Lewis impression. Never afraid to play the clown, because he knew his colleagues respected him. He lived life full throttle, in work and play. Like me he loved fast cars, and whenever one of us would get a new toy, the other had to drive it (a practice which was strained for few years after I skidded his brand new Porsche turbo, just off the boat from Stuttgart, into his garage and stopped a half inch from the back wall). We even went to formula racing school together. For the last ten years or so we rode motorcycles on Sundays with Arnold Schwarzenegger and some other friends, not every week but as many Sundays as we could. There was a comradeship that comes from starting out together, and never betraying the respect and trust of that friendship over the years, but always being there for each other, that the three of us have shared.

Stan and I founded Digital Domain together, and our friendship was never strained by being business partners. He always demonstrated incredible wisdom in business, because he knew people, and especially creative people. He inspired artists to pull together and work as a team, which is like herding cats, but it was perhaps his greatest talent. To lead by inspiration. His own team at Stan Winston Studios is the most stable in the business. His core guys have been with him literally since Terminator, 25 years. That's because they respected him so much, and because he made the work fun, even though it was hard. They would stay up all night busting their ass for him. They knew they would always be doing something cutting edge and challenging, and that he respected them enough to let them run with it. Though he could draw and sculpt as well as any of them, he never let his own talent eclipse theirs, because he knew that team building was the most important aspect of leadership. And that's what allowed them to create success after success for over two decades, and win 4 Oscars, among over 30 awards. A walk through Stan's studio gallery is a trip through the last two decades of fantasy cinema. Predators, Terminators, raptors, T-rexes, Edward Scissorhands himself and a hundred more. It hits you how great an impact he's had.

I spoke with Stan by phone Saturday morning, and apparently it was one of the last conversations he had. Incredibly, in retrospect, he was full of life, you'd never have known he was at death's door. We talked for a long time about all the fun times, and all the dragons we'd slain together. He said that once you've shown something is possible, everybody can do it. What was important was being first. Breaking new ground.

Well that's just what he did his whole career, and today's creature and character effects business uses the techniques he developed every single day. He inspired a generation of fantasy effects geeks, and his legacy will be found in their dreams up on the screens of the future, not just in the films he worked on directly.

I'm going to miss him, like I'd miss a brother. It's hard, almost unfathomable, to talk about him in the past tense. He was just one of those larger than life people that was so alive that you can't imagine them gone. But he is gone. I ask the fans to remember not just the work but the man.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    Heartfelt feelings from a Directer who truly knows his stuff when it comes to special effects!

For anyone who doesn't know, Cameron is an exceptionally talented artist himself who worked in SFX for many years before becoming the name we all know today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I know, Cameron's movies are mandatory viewing for me every 1-2 years or so. Avatar is the ONLY movie I'm looking forward to right now. Sadly without any fantastic creatures or out of this world make up effects from his dear friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    I knew Stan Winston's name before I Knew about some big star actors.

Weird, but this man was one of the Greatest man in the film story!
  5. I watched Jurassic Park two weeks ago... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    What struck me every time was whenever he popped up in the extras of the movies he worked on, I knew he would have something interesting to say. I was always genuinely interested in how that animatronic puppet would work or how they would overcome a particular problem. He totally knew his craft, and he always explained it so it seemed simple to execute, where in fact it is very technical and stressful. I would love to be able to work in the movie business just doing that...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    I knew Stan Winston's name before I Knew about some big star actors.

Weird, but this man was one of the Greatest man in the film story!

I completely understand that. My idols of the film world has always been my beloved film composers, cinematographers, directers etc. Actors ( though mostly, and obviously necessary ) come further down that list.

In SFX, Stan's name is right up there with my other SFX heroes such as Willis O' Brien, Ray Harryhausen, Rick Baker, Dennis Murren, Rob Bottin etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I watched Jurassic Park two weeks ago... slant

And the CGI in that movie still out does 99% of the crap we see on screen today.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. it is wonderful to hear such fine words from James himself. What Stan did for all the movies he worked on is nothing short of brilliant, the beasts feel and look more real than the fully computer creatures you see in most movies today

Long live Stan Winston and his mind blowing creativity punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh