• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Download the best browser now!

Firefox 3 is out.

Mozilla tries to break a world record by having the most downloaded installers in 24 hours. Even if you will not use Firefox foever (which would be a hard decision to make!) download it at least to try!

This isn't just a browser like Internet Explorer btw. The new bookmarks component is fantastic and fast. It also loads a lot quicker than before, requires less memory, is completely tunable (also its downloading speed, just like previous versions), safer, most plugins still work, basically, it beats all the rest.

Download Firefox 3:
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ (Starting at 10AM PDT, timetable)

See why it's so good and what's new
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/firefox3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g30Xyh6Wqc
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    in what time zone is that 12pm there??
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    IEuhm, 12PM = 12:00? Or 24:00?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused Here in Greece, it's already 12.27 pm now. I don't think it's the same everywhere wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oopsie.

I guess in a couple of hours then. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, will do. You sparked my interest smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timetable, seems you won't have it before 20:00 tonight.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt, if i was firefox, i'd be hiring you btw wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I WANT IT NOW I WANT IT NOW I WANT IT NOW

It's free
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DOWN WITH MICROSOFT! DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    DOWN WITH MICROSOFT! DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!!

Oh I dunno.
    I think they adapt nicely to new circumstances.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Cool! shocked I'll be sure to download it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, i am testing the pre-release version of FIREFOX 3 now, will the final one be like that? 'CAuse apart that it's screamingly fast indeed, i don' t see many differences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The new bookmarks and history component is really clever. Check out the video I posted above.

The most changes are not on the surface:

- there's much more security (including an improved phishing detector and much more focus on those unsigned certificates)

- there's the inclusion of Google Gears (which will become an important feature in the coming months/years, as it enables offline surfing on rich Internet applications like GMail and Google Docs, but also non-Google products. MySpace will use it as well)

- there's the session restore that remembers everything before a crash of Fireofx or the operating system, really handy if there were tons of tabs open! It also remembers the values of the fields of a form you were filling in just before the crash!

- spell check is now built in

- another cool thing is the zooming functionality, that also resizes the images!

- password management is a lot handier now, with instead of a popup, just a banner at the top

- you'll notice some tunings and other stuff when you work with it.

I just find Firefox a lot handier than Opera somehow. Opera is not so fluent, the GUI is also so much more pressed together, it creeps me out a bit. Firefox is soo tunable, full of smart extensions, clever bookmarking (I use bookmarking a lot) and it's all done with love! wink

I'm a fanboy obviously, also because Firefox is so damn helpful when developing. IE sucks balls when it comes to debug a site.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

- there's the session restore that remembers everything before a crash of Fireofx or the operating system, really handy if there were tons of tabs open! It also remembers the values of the fields of a form you were filling in just before the crash!

- spell check is now built in

- another cool thing is the zooming functionality, that also resizes the images!

Opera does those as well but i am under the impression that FIREFOX now does them faster. And the implementation of the auto-spelling is a huge MUST and a very positive point to the overall browser thingy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I also liked the fact that when yo go in to type a word, a url in the address bar, it auto-searches! confused shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    D, you're someone I know who loves Opera, so is this any better? confused

I don't really want to go back to Firefox unless it's improved a lot....it didn't like my PC before...

Edit: Don't worry, I've seen your post in Browser War now. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, either it's a huge success or a monumental failure: the site has been unreachable for the last 90 minutes or so... slant

Guess I'll do my download tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can get on it.

So far almost 500.000 downloads!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Dunno what you did, but I was able to get on now as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...using Internet Explorer....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can't get on it anymore now.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    ...using Internet Explorer....

God will remember this at the Gates of Heaven.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Bill bought those some time ago.
    Why do you think they call them Gates?

Anyway, still can't get on the site with Firefox. Yeah, the irony isn't lost on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Perhaps it's a suicide mission of IE.
    Knowing that when you finally download FF, he will not be of use anymore, and be technically dead.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I tried getting it earlier but the site was down. It's clearly imploding on it's own success. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Now surfing on FF3...bloomin' 'eck, it's fast! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    I also liked the fact that when yo go in to type a word, a url in the address bar, it auto-searches! confused shocked

Indeed, extremely handy. Especially since it searches on the title of a page too, or a word in the link. That way you can find a url again by just knowing a word or content from that site. That's part of the bookmark component. Check out the video to make it even handier with shortcuts to Google or other sites, and you can create your own for maintitles.

Martijn wrote
    Now surfing on FF3...bloomin' 'eck, it's fast! shocked

Allright! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just downloaded it... still have to install it. Looks great from what I've seen and heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Wow. Everything done and working. It´s incredibly fast. You can see it especially with the "Update Scanner" Add-On. With twenty or thirty updated pages my comp needed a minute or more to open them all in new tabs (old version), now it´s a matter of seconds. I´m so totally sold on the new version...