• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    Composer of several Stargate SG-1 episodes, several Star Trek: Enterprise episodes, the films Wing Commander, Madison, and the recently announced film and series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Head on over to the Star Wars: The Clone Wars minisite to hear some sneak peeks of Kiner's music for The Clone Wars. Some of Kiner's music is played once the main page is fully loaded, and you can hear more (including the actual Star Wars main theme!) if you click the 'GAMES & FUN' tab, which will then open up a Clone Wars game. The style is quite different from Williams', though from what I've heard, I think it does sound pretty cool. I found his use of the Star Wars theme somewhat different from what we've heard, much more modern-sounding, and with a different rhythm than what we're used to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Oh shit no! I hope that's not how the score will sound? Looping percussion over orchestra... Yawn-eriffic. But that was about 5 seconds of music... I look forward to hearing the rest of the score but if it's going in that direction there will be hell to pay! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh shit no! I hope that's not how the score will sound? Looping percussion over orchestra... Yawn-eriffic. But that was about 5 seconds of music... I look forward to hearing the rest of the score but if it's going in that direction there will be hell to pay! wink

-Erik-

Yeah, quite different from the traditional Williams stuff, huh? smile Personally, I like it. (Please don't kill me for saying that. wink) It's a change for Star Wars, and it left me wanting to hear more. I know, you may not like it, but I can't wait for the soundtrack to be released within the next couple months. Don't think, however, that I'm going really easy on this just because it's Star Wars (I'm a big fan biggrin). If it turns out to be really crappy, then that's that. Even I was a bit scared when I first heard it, but I'm starting to like it. My main concern is Kiner's development of Williams' themes; I hope he doesn't just concentrate on his own stuff, or the score is bound to fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    A deviation from the Williams sound will kill this score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. On the main page, just stay there; aside from periodic noises, new score keeps playing.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    A deviation from the Williams sound will kill this score.

-Erik-

I don't think so. Or, it at least won't kill the film. I've been over at Star Wars fan forums since this new site was released, and so far, everyone over there seems to love it. Granted Star Wars fans and score fans will see this differently (well, I'm both wink), but people who look more on the score side of things may not like it. Actually... it all depends on taste, and what you think of Williams' other Star Wars scores. Some people want to hear something new, others feel only John Williams' sound is good for Star Wars. But we've never had a case like this before for Star Wars, a large feature film with someone other than John Williams providing music. Does that automatically mean it will be bad? No, I don't think it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Well, Joel McNeely took the baton from Williams and composed a brilliant score for Shadows of the Empire and managed to keep his style while at the same time understanding that deviating from the Williams sound too much would be a bad thing. Also, Jeremy Soule and other video game composers have managed to create scores that sound like they belong in the Star Wars universe. And James L. Venable managed to create some specatular music from the Clone Wars cartoon which again sounded like Star Wars music.

The stuff I'm hearing at the new Star Wars site sounds ugly, generic and completely wrong. The cliched drums, loops and ethnic vocals are terrible. Again, I will wait to hear the whole score before I make any judgment but from what I'm hearing on the site it's not a score that belong with a Star Wars film.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, Joel McNeely took the baton from Williams and composed a brilliant score for Shadows of the Empire and managed to keep his style while at the same time understanding that deviating from the Williams sound too much would be a bad thing. Also, Jeremy Soule and other video game composers have managed to create scores that sound like they belong in the Star Wars universe. And James L. Venable managed to create some specatular music from the Clone Wars cartoon which again sounded like Star Wars music.

The stuff I'm hearing at the new Star Wars site sounds ugly, generic and completely wrong. The cliched drums, loops and ethnic vocals are terrible. Again, I will wait to hear the whole score before I make any judgment but from what I'm hearing on the site it's not a score that belong with a Star Wars film.

-Erik-

But this film is also very different from the others, in that it is animated. George knows what style of music he wants to accompany this new style of film, and I'll just have to wait and see if I think he picked the right one. I still think it'll be nice to hear something other than Williams for a change. I mean, I'm not saying John Williams isn't a great film composer and Star Wars composer, but simply that I'd like something fresh for a change, with a different style maybe, but still Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    but simply that I'd like something fresh for a change, with a different style maybe, but still Star Wars.

Nah! It's still Star Wars. Star Wars is Star Wars whether computer animated, claymation or a story book. And the original Clone Wars cartoon was animated and featured Williams' themes and orchestration along with Venable's own style. And this new movie is using that exact same style mind you it's completely CGI instead of classic 2D animattion. I mean, if Indy went the cartoon route would you want something that didn't sound like an Indy score? It wouldn't work.

A musical style has been establish... a blue print if you will... and Kiner should follow that blue print - with a bit of tweaking - but not so much to create a whole new sound and musical identity. Star Wars is symphonically written in a very classical style.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    but simply that I'd like something fresh for a change, with a different style maybe, but still Star Wars.

Nah! It's still Star Wars. Star Wars is Star Wars whether computer animated, claymation or a story book. And the original Clone Wars cartoon was animated and featured Williams' themes and orchestration along with Venable's own style. And this new movie is using that exact same style mind you it's completely CGI instead of classic 2D animattion. I mean, if Indy went the cartoon route would you want something that didn't sound like an Indy score? It wouldn't work.

A musical style has been establish... a blue print if you will... and Kiner should follow that blue print - with a bit of tweaking - but not so much to create a whole new sound and musical identity. Star Wars is symphonic written in a very classical style.

-Erik-

OK, you've got me there. wink I don't know, though. I doubt that George Lucas would let in a complete stranger with little film experience, unless he saw some real potential there for Star Wars. How do we know Kiner doesn't also write with a more Williams-like sound at times? Personally I think it all sounds very cool so far. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm completely wrong, but then again, as you say, it's only few seconds. Best to wait a couple months for the score, before I make my final decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    How do we know Kiner doesn't also write with a more Williams-like sound at times?

It is possible. If it sounds anything like Wing Commander (which is of course heavily influenced by the David Arnold sound) I'd be happy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    How do we know Kiner doesn't also write with a more Williams-like sound at times?

It is possible. If it sounds anything like Wing Commander (which is of course heavily influenced by the David Arnold sound) I'd be happy.

-Erik-

Ah, then there's a chance. Ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is the loop if anyone is interested.

http://www.starwars.com/tcw/site/media/ … e-loop.mp3

This sounds more like Metel Gear Solid then a Star Wars score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is the loop if anyone is interested.

http://www.starwars.com/tcw/site/media/ … e-loop.mp3

This sounds more like Metel Gear Solid then a Star Wars score.

-Erik-

OK, you're right. After finally being able to hear it without all the gunship sounds from the site, I must say, it doesn't sound nearly as Star Wars-like as I had hoped it. Ah well. I'm still going to wait for the album before I judge it. Thanks for posting that MP3, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik, just curious, how did you find the URL to that MP3? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, anything besides JOHN WILLIAMS copy-pasting (no matter how good it is being done) for anything STAR WARS is a sin? smile angelic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, anything besides JOHN WILLIAMS copy-pasting (no matter how good it is being done) for anything STAR WARS is a sin? smile angelic

I didn't say copy and paste. I said in the John Williams classical style. I don't mind new themes and a composers own voice but he or she has to understand that a musical foundation has already been laid out. Deviating from that to create something like the loop clip above is a bad idea. Again refer to the Star Wars video game with original scores or Shadows of the Empire or The Clone Wars cartoon that came out a few years ago.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    The Star Wars: The Clone Wars minisite has been updated with some new music by Mr. Kiner. The new clip(s) portray Kiner's score to be much 'rockier' in nature than the Williams scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked

AWFUL!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

AWFUL!

-Erik-

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for you to drop by, Erik! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

AWFUL!

-Erik-

vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

AWFUL!

-Erik-

I just can't wait to hear the explanation as to why they decided to take the score in THAT direction.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

AWFUL!

-Erik-

I just can't wait to hear the explanation as to why they decided to take the score in THAT direction.

-Erik-

Yeah, I too would like to know that... These new clips are making me grow more and more doubtful Kiner can pull it off. I'll be buying the soundtrack, nevertheless (as a big Star Wars fan), but I am very interested to see how it fits the film - if it does at all. I'm thinking it has something to do with the film being apart from the other films, and George wanting a new sound to accompany the new stylistic change in animation and appearance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    I guess you're talking about the clips being heard when you navigate around the page, right? 'Cause in the feature videos / trailers / video-interviews all is JOHN WILLIAMS'.

The rocky stuff is more in the vein of 300, Iron Man and the whole lotta similar cr....stuff. Does it really surprise you so much?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    I guess you're talking about the clips being heard when you navigate around the page, right? 'Cause in the feature videos / trailers / video-interviews all is JOHN WILLIAMS'.

The rocky stuff is more in the vein of 300, Iron Man and the whole lotta similar cr....stuff. Does it really surprise you so much?

Not me as much as Erik. And yes, we're talking about the music heard on the page. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought the music sounded cool. Just because it's STAR WARS doesn't mean it HAS to be in the neo-romantic, traditionally symphonic Korngold mode that Williams used for the movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Just because it's STAR WARS doesn't mean it HAS to be in the neo-romantic, traditionally symphonic Korngold mode that Williams used for the movies.

YES. IT. DOES.

John Williams has establish a sound for the Star Wars universe which has been the blueprint for other films, TV shows, video games and other forms of multimedia. And it's not like we are talking NEW characters here... these are the same characters from the prequel films following a storyline that bridges Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. This rock approach is totally inappropriate!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How about a rock approach to Amadeus? Just because it's a film about Mozart, doesn't mean you have to use music by the man himself. Oh, wait. tongue

I absolutely agree with Erik here. Some things just shouldn't be changed, especially if it's perfect to begin with. dizzy