• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    In case anyone's interested, here's some music I recently recorded in Fl Studio 7. I had the fanfare in my head for some time and finally recorded it using brass from Edirol Orchestral. I wanted to do some more recording but the file got too big and because my poor RAM was struggling with all the loaded plugins so I ended it a bit more quickly, and when I get a faster computer later then I'll work on it again. Here's a link -

the snake and the mongoose.mp3

I haven't had an formal education in music as such and composed it myself with inspiration from some of Hans Zimmer's action music. Tell me if you like it, and what I can do to improve! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited

Hmmm, maybe it's just my computer, but I can't get it to play. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Hi Demonstar,

nice piece of work! Especially the second half sounds appealing because for me it sounds more layered than the first bit of music witch is ok but perhaps a bit too much of the same. I think the samples sounds better than the garage band samples, so well done!

Perhaps an idea for this kind of rhytmic motifs is that you can modulate them into another key. Same tune only higher or lower in register. it's a simple trick but it sometimes takes the music literally to another level. Zimmer does it all the time!

grtz, Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Hi Joris, thanks a lot for the suggestions! beer I'll definitely try that in my next composition. Telmarine, I'll try to upload it somewhere else for you to listen today wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Hi Joris, thanks a lot for the suggestions! beer I'll definitely try that in my next composition. Telmarine, I'll try to upload it somewhere else for you to listen today wink

Ok, thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I really liked it!

Well done! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Atham wrote
    I really liked it!

Well done! cool

Thanks, mate! beer

Telmarine, check this out, I uploaded it here - http://download.yousendit.com/C632E25747A3B1BE

You can get it now I think smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Wow, great piece, Ravi! Ugh, I envy you. smile I really need to get that program! My music would sound like 20x better! biggrin Seriously, this is a great work! Just out of curiosity, do you play any instruments (other than keyboard)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Wow, great piece, Ravi! Ugh, I envy you. smile I really need to get that program! My music would sound like 20x better! biggrin Seriously, this is a great work! Just out of curiosity, do you play any instruments (other than keyboard)?

Glad you liked it, man! beer Yeah I've taken up guitar now and am learning pretty fast. Once I'm satisfied with acoustic I'll be moving to electric. I also want to learn to play the drums sometime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Glad you liked it, man! beer Yeah I've taken up guitar now and am learning pretty fast. Once I'm satisfied with acoustic I'll be moving to electric. I also want to learn to play the drums sometime.

Awesome! This will be my fifth year playing French horn. Really great instrument, really difficult, too. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Awesome! This will be my fifth year playing French horn. Really great instrument, really difficult too. smile

Yeah~, I heard it's a very difficult instrument to learn. Good luck, and I want to hear (or see) you playing one day! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Awesome! This will be my fifth year playing French horn. Really great instrument, really difficult too. smile

Yeah~, I heard it's a very difficult instrument to learn. Good luck, and I want to hear (or see) you playing one day! beer

Well, when I'm older, I will hopefully either play horn, compose, or conduct (or do all three! biggrin). I like all of them, but composing is my favorite, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I like all of them, but composing is my favorite, I think.

Mine, too! I don't think I'll pursue that as a career, but it's definitely one of my favourite hobbies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I like all of them, but composing is my favorite, I think.

Mine, too! I don't think I'll pursue that as a career, but it's definitely one of my favourite hobbies.

I really want to compose professionally. Right now, I just practice up for it by buying and reading music theory books, as well as trying my own take on scoring for previously released film trailers. Ooh, and soon I shall be scoring my friends' homemade movies. biggrin Lots of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Ooh, and soon I shall be scoring my friends' homemade movies. biggrin Lots of fun.

I WANT TO DO THAT TOO!!! biggrin

Sadly out here in India there's little scope for talented composers. Very beautiful and creative soundtracks get flopped and garbage, uninspired pop songs half of whose music is ripped off English songs or scores become overnight hits. So if I do consider taking it up as a career, it has to be somewhere abroad. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Ooh, and soon I shall be scoring my friends' homemade movies. biggrin Lots of fun.

I WANT TO DO THAT TOO!!! biggrin

Sadly out here in India there's little scope for talented composers. Very beautiful and creative soundtracks get flopped and garbage, uninspired pop songs half of whose music is ripped off English songs or scores become overnight hits. So if I do consider taking it up as a career, it has to be somewhere abroad. smile

Yes, it's quite the same over here, too; the garbage makes the money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Yes, it's quite the same over here, too; the garbage makes the money.

Really. For example there's a song in the movie "Lakshya" in which the composers ripped off the Fellowship theme of LoTR note-to-note ditto and pasted it onto both the main theme and this song, which has become a hit. No one objected. And the movie, which is by far the best Bollywood war movie I've seen, performed less than average at the B.O. tongue

Not that the song is bad (it's very good with really beautiful lyrics) but when I discover that a tune has been deliberately ripped off then it takes much of the fun away for me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    I was experimenting around with my strings and brass samples a while ago and surprisingly I came up with a quite (IMO) good piece recently. Uploaded it here in case anyone wants to listen - http://www.zshare.net/audio/66046534cc5021c9/

I also added a few Indian instruments occassionally. It isn't long but I think it came out quite well mostly. Any suggestions for improvement will be welcome! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DemonStar wrote
    I was experimenting around with my strings and brass samples a while ago and surprisingly I came up with a quite (IMO) good piece recently. Uploaded it here in case anyone wants to listen - http://www.zshare.net/audio/66046534cc5021c9/

I also added a few Indian instruments occassionally. It isn't long but I think it came out quite well mostly. Any suggestions for improvement will be welcome! smile

Hey , I really liked that - well done !
    If you have more , then pls share again ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited
    Two more tracks I recorded a while back -

http://www.zshare.net/audio/695353734e8ba36f/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/69171284bed09301/

Mostly orchestral with some Indian traditional instruments added. I tried larger-scale action material particularly in the second track, though I don't really have a large sound library. Please tell me your views, and suggestions for improvement! smile
    • CommentAuthorAD
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    I think both tracks are well structured. I liked the second one more.
    I could tell straight away that you like Zimmer's music.
    How long have you been writing music for? I couldn't listen to the other tracks here I don't know why.
    Nice work smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks, AD. smile

Indeed, those tracks are inspired a lot by Zimmer (especially the second one was inspired by King Arthur). I don't have much education about music theory, I'm just composing as a hobby since about two years, but I did think some of it came out good so I posted them here for opinions, and suggestions for improvement.

Looks like the other links have expired, I'll upload them somewhere else soon.
    • CommentAuthorAD
    You know, I think action music is the most difficult to write. I hardly write any.
    I remember John williams was once asked what was his advice to young composers and he said to write music everyday no matter how little.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    AD wrote
    You know, I think action music is the most difficult to write. I hardly write any.
    I remember John williams was once asked what was his advice to young composers and he said to write music everyday no matter how little.

It was also John Williams who said that the most difficult thing to write was a good simple catchy melody / theme. Action music always seemed to come easy to the likes of Williams and Goldsmith.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Action music is generally more about technical abilities than an innate skill. To write decent action music, you need years of studying. To write a good melody, you need inspiration from God. I have neither... but I still try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Inspiration from God? I don't see YOU getting any of that, any soon!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, thank you for pointing out the joke. rolleyes

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would say inspiration from the Gods.

and those gods are Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and on and on to Korngold, Herrmann, Goldsmith etc etc
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    etc=Tyler bates, right?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.