• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    Arright, so here's the Record Labels' Wall of Fame to praise the efforts of all the Record Labels who've taken pains to deliver us the best releases! wink

So which were the Record Labels which produced better releases? Which gave the scores the kind of treatment they deserve? Which treated each score like a child and painfully "brought" it up paying attention from everything sound quality to artwork! Feel free to express your opinions here! smile
    ______________________________________________________________________________

*THE WALL OF FAME*

* ARISTA RECORDS

Star Wars Anthology 4 CD set - John Williams

* INTRADA RECORDS

Alien 2 CD - Jerry Goldsmith
    Back To The Future 2 CD - Alan Silvestri
    Silverado 2 CD - Bruce Broughton
    Tombstone 2 CD - Bruce Broughton
    The Wind And The Lion 2 CD - Jerry Goldsmith

* FILM SCORE MONTHLY

Mutiny On The Bounty 3 CD
    Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan Expanded
    Superman 8 CD "Blue Box" Set

* LA-LA-LAND RECORDS

Godzilla 2 CD - David Arnold
    Masters of The Universe 2 CD - Bill Conti
    Outer Limits 3 CD - Dominic Frontierre

* PROMETHEUS RECORDS

Cutthroat Island Complete 2 CD - John Debney

* RCA RECORDS

Moses The Lawgiver 2 CD - Ennio Morricone

* REPRISE RECORDS

The Lord of The Rings Trilogy Complete Recordings - Howard Shore

* RHINO RECORDS

Ben-Hur 2 CD set - Miklos Rozsa

* VARESE SARABANDE

Elmer Bernstein 4 CD Box set
    Home Alone 2 Complete 2 CD - John Williams
    Jerry Goldsmith Box set
    Stargate Deluxe Edition - David Arnold
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Please free to add more so I can write them down here! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    I will vouch for -

Reprise Records for The Lord of The Rings Complete Recordings - Awesome packaging, top notch sound quality and beautiful booklets. A score couldn't have gotten a better treatment. The royal scores by Howard Shore have been given the form they deserve by the generous Reprise Record and Warner Bros.

La La Land Records for Godzilla Complete - The covers may not be as grand as LoTR but they were definitely much better than several other scores. The sound quality was uncannily perfect IMHO.

Warner Bros. Records for Transformers - Terrific covers and crisp sound quality. Nearly all the highlights from the movie are present here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy received some of the best releases in history from the original releases to the complete recordings. That's exactly what a good film music deserves to get

I'd say the same for Cutthroat Island as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RCA Records - Eragon (Music from the Motion Picture)

Beautiful score with very good sound quality, as well as one of my favorite CD covers. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ben-Hur 2CD set from Rhino and Arista's Star Wars 4CD Anthology are, IMHO, two of the greatest soundtrack releases of all time.

- Ben-Hur features the first-time-ever release of the original motion picture soundtrack recordings, conducted by the composer himself - with extended score cues and outtakes—and is accompanied by an extensive 52-page account of one of the most celebrated sagas in history, with rare behind-the-scenes photos and artwork! Simply superb.

- Star Wars Anthology featuring outtakes, expanded cues, improved sound from all three films - a lengthly booklet with essays and a track-by-track analysis of every score. This set still holds value because it contains the best sounding version of the Return of the Jedi soundtrack. It also contains tracks you can't find on the RCA Special Editions.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    - Star Wars Anthology featuring outtakes, expanded cues, improved sound from all three films - a lengthly booklet with essays and a track-by-track analysis of every score. This set still holds value because it contains the best sounding version of the Return of the Jedi soundtrack. It also contains tracks you can't find on the RCA Special Editions.

Totally agreed! Star Wars Anthology is a great score release.

I'll also say Gladiator by Decca Records. It has fine artwork, great sound quality and unlike most Zimmer releases it covers most of the highlights and provides a very decent presentation of the score on album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    King Arthur by Hollywood Records was a very decent release which covered most of the highlights of the film, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    King Arthur by Hollywood Records was a very decent release which covered most of the highlights of the film, too.

But did it go above and beyond every other score ever released? Seriously think about this guys... pick your 5 five soundtracks of all time. Consider the score, the production value, the importance of said release, etc. While King Arthur might be a solid release in your eyes Demon should it be on Hollywood Records Wall of Fame?

I mean, I would be including stuff like Alien from Intrada, Superman from FSM, The Jerry Goldsmith Box set from Varese, Raiders of the Lost Ark from DCC, The Lord of the Rings from Reprise, The Sea Hawk from Naxos/Marco Polo, etc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I think that it's worth thinking small and as well as thinking large.

I mean, with all the big players releasing superb titles, the smaller and newer labels who are trying to release music from the up-and-coming composers who are likely to be the next generation of "big names" deserves some sort of recognition.

It seems to be a very crowded area considering the few numbers of labels there used to be a few years ago and the myriad of labels there are now - some of these labels only seeming to release 1-2 titles only to disappear.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

But did it go above and beyond every other score ever released? Seriously think about this guys... pick your 5 five soundtracks of all time. Consider the score, the production value, the importance of said release, etc. While King Arthur might be a solid release in your eyes Demon should it be on Hollywood Records Wall of Fame?

I mean, I would be including stuff like Alien from Intrada, Superman from FSM, The Jerry Goldsmith Box set from Varese, Raiders of the Lost Ark from DCC, The Lord of the Rings from Reprise, The Sea Hawk from Naxos/Marco Polo, etc.

-Erik-

Absolutely!

Add the expanded classic James Bond soundtracks to that list too!

Along with the expanded Bond's, ( which amongst thousands of fans were amongst the most important releases this century ) would also add Silva Screens brilliant recordings of Raise The Titanic and The Last Valley.

And how about Vareses remastered and expanded OMEN trilogy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    While King Arthur might be a solid release in your eyes Demon should it be on Hollywood Records Wall of Fame?

I wanted to appreciate the attempt by the Records to release most of the highlights, which is rare in today's releases. After all this thread is for all releases, not just the elite ones like LoTR wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008 edited
    Considering how much music we heard in the film, I thought I Am Legend was a real treat. JNH is the man when it comes for emotional music for sure.

The cover is also one of the best in 2008 so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Superman Blue Box Set by FSM was one of the best releases lately. It gave each of the Superman scores released by it a great presentation, with top quality sound and great covers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sylvos wrote
    Considering how much music we heard in the film, I thought I Am Legend was a real treat. JNH is the man when it comes for emotional music for sure.

The cover is also one of the best in 2008 so far.

Couldn't agree more, one of the most surprisingly good CD releases this year!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    ... not just the elite ones like LoTR wink

So average at best albums would go on a Wall of Fame? I mean, do you put an average .230 hitter with less than 200 homers in the Baseball Hall of Fame? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the elite releases.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    ... not just the elite ones like LoTR wink

So average at best albums would go on a Wall of Fame? I mean, do you put an average .230 hitter with less than 200 homers in the Baseball Hall of Fame? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the elite releases.

-Erik-

All right then, mention the best releases here. wink

Alien 2 Cd Intrada release was a great recent full release! The sound quality is excellent and much better than I expected.

Independence Day 2 CD by World Records was also great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have to throw in a vote for FSM and the 3 CD release of Mutiny on the Bounty.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I have to throw in a vote for FSM and the 3 CD release of Mutiny on the Bounty.

Tom smile

Good one... I was going mention that one as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bruce Broughton's Silverado 2 CD release by Intrada was terrific IMO! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    I think the new Elmer Bernstein 4 CD box set by Varese definitely deserves a place here! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    So does La La Land Records release of Masters of the Universe by Bill Conti. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm going to make the master list in the first post now! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Maybe we should exclude Independence Day because it was a bootleg release after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    Sylvos wrote
    Maybe we should exclude Independence Day because it was a bootleg release after all.

Are you sure? Someone told me there were two versions, one a bootleg and one an official one. Can anyone please confirm this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    DemonStar wrote
    Are you sure?

100% certain. Even Soundtrack Collector lists it as a bootleg release.
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=5998
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    All right, I am removing it. Keep giving more suggestions for additions! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    hmm... Prometheus Records release of Cutthroat Island, anyone? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Jeez, forgot this! Added! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    I'd add Home Alone 2 too. Varese released the complete score back in 2002 as a part of their CD club collection, if memory serves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    Added. How about Giacchino's Lost scores?