• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    New score from Badalamenti - The Edge of Love. Looks like the CD is already out:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/5598875 … oduct.html

Anyone heard it? I do like his stuff when he's in romantic mode.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No I haven't!

It's taken a long time for him to get his own thread?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Un long dimanche de fiançailles was GREAT indeed!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Un long dimanche de fiançailles was GREAT indeed!

It was supposed to be Zimmer... biggrin biggrin biggrin

Jeunet & Zimmer were OK... But Zimmer was too busy and "gave up"... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

That's because he doesn't write music for video games that sounds like all other music for video games, or use ghostwriters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's because he doesn't write music for video games that sounds like all other music for video games, or use ghostwriters.

Groan! rolleyes

Personally, I don't think Badalamenti is anything special and he is not one of the most well known composers. Maybe he should write music for video games. It a very challenging genre and is actually quite freeing for a composer not to be hampered by syncing your music to the image. Almost concert music like.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

That was... cheap. I personally don't think Badalamenti is anything special and he is not one of the most well known composers. Maybe he should write music for video games. It a very challenging genre and is actually quite freeing for a composer not to be hampered by syncing your music to the image. Almost concert music like.

It was cheap, but to offer a serious reply to your serious reply to my silly comment, the thing that I find video game scores lack (and I do mean all of the ones I've heard, without exception) is any sense of drama. It's all "BIG! BIG! BIG!" and without the constraint of the dramatic arc of a film, the composers seem unable to restrain themselves. Some really good music has been written, no mistaking that, but I rarely find the albums entirely captivating. The only composer I can think of where I heard video game scores by him before film scores is Giacchino, and the difference in quality of the albums is startling to me - the game stuff is fine, but there's so much more meat on the bones in the film (and to a lesser degree television) stuff he's done.

Just my opinion, and I know it's not shared by 99% of people here (and to get back to my original comment, that's why there are threads with lots of posts in them about obscure composers whose only output is a string of scores which all consist of an hour-long set of variations on "Desert Chase" from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and there wasn't one for Angelo Badalementi who has written over 200 film scores, many of which are good and some of which are great).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

That was... cheap. I personally don't think Badalamenti is anything special and he is not one of the most well known composers. Maybe he should write music for video games. It a very challenging genre and is actually quite freeing for a composer not to be hampered by syncing your music to the image. Almost concert music like.

It was cheap, but to offer a serious reply to your serious reply to my silly comment, the thing that I find video game scores lack (and I do mean all of the ones I've heard, without exception) is any sense of drama. It's all "BIG! BIG! BIG!" and without the constraint of the dramatic arc of a film, the composers seem unable to restrain themselves.

You obviously haven't heard enough video game music or played enough games because there's TONS of drama and restraint.

Sure, the action licks get the most play and the most praise but there is a lot of film music sensibilities in game music now more than there ever was - which is why you are seeing some film music composers starting to crossing over.

As for Giacchino's music... I still find that his video games scores are equal or better than his film output. I still haven't heard ANYTHING that can compete with the original Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy. The only one sandwiched between the two is Semper Fi. His first season work on LOST comes very close.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I think there's no question that Badalamenti does what he does very well. He has a bit of a niche, a kind of ethereal, romantic pop-orchestral music (call it 'minor key Mantovani/Mancini), but he's very successful in what he does with that.

I think for example his haunting contributions to MULHOLLAND DRIVE - forget the stuff by David Lynch that drones for 7 minutes - really help that film cast its ugly spell.

And until they make video games about human relationships, I suspect he won't be finding work in that genre. (It is a shame that this entertainment industry that utterly dwarfs the film industry is ultimately rooted in vicarious, escapist violence.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Giacchino's music... I still find that his video games scores are equal or better than his film output. I still haven't heard ANYTHING that can compete with the original Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy. The only one sandwiched between the two is Semper Fi. His first season work on LOST comes very close.

-Erik-

Different strokes for different folks! Give me Ratatouille or M:I 3 any day.

As for not hearing enough video game music... you may be right, but I do get sent a fair amount of it (unsolicited) and I'm not joking when I say that apart from the ones I remember because they're written by composers familiar to me from film work, I couldn't recall a single thing about them or tell any one from any of the others. This isn't to say it's not good music, undoubtedly some of it is, I just can't imagine what circumstances might make me want to listen to the huge majority of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd take Ratatouille over most things, it's become my favourite Giacchino score... perhaps on par with The Incredibles at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But does it take over Badalamenti's work? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um.. oh right, this isn't a Giacchino thread.

Er.

Badalamenti is totally awesome and stuff.

...is that better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin wink

I don't know much either about him.

Life as a House (is that its title?) has a really good feeling, warm and gentle guitar music. My favourite is Un Long Dimanche though.
    Kazoo
  3. Life as a House is a Mark Isham score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oooh, he got you good Bregt! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Oooh, he got you good Bregt! biggrin

Aww, that hurts indeed. biggrin

I meant The Straight Story, by Badalamenti.
    The covers are quite alike somehow, and I remember covers more than its titles.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    I am almost positive that most film score fans will be shocked when they listen to his score for CITY OF THE LOST CHILDREN wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am almost positive that most film score fans will be shocked when they listen to his score for CITY OF THE LOST CHILDREN wink

I love that score!

I haven't heard much outside of his Lynch scores, The Beach ( which I want to play and can't find slant ) and a few others.

I'll certainly take Badalamenti's "ethereal" ( spot on Michael ) and thoughtful music over a lot of rubbish I've mostly heard of recent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Southall wrote
    New score from Badalamenti - The Edge of Love. Looks like the CD is already out:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/5598875 … oduct.html

Anyone heard it? I do like his stuff when he's in romantic mode.

Is there a "shudder" icon anywhere?

http://www.tescodigital.com/Store/Pages … 3a14381211
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I love it!

: shudder : wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, really. It has that dark, noir, offbeat and melancholic atmosphere i really love, a nostalgic listen.
  5. I love A Very Long Engagement, somehow it ended up being the score I played repeatedly while reading Eragon. I didn´t like the book, but the score created a nice and fitting atmosphere for the sometimes rather dark scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Damn. Another thing I think I have to buy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cool! I am glad you liked it, really Southall, isn't that something totally NOT like the everyday junk we usually get? That's the sentiment i got from the clips with which i fell in love btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    So, you're all joining me at the WSA too!? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    So, you're all joining me at the WSA too!? wink

Any word yet on who will be winning this year's "Award for the only composer willing to show up"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    tongue

Phuh.
    Kazoo
  6. Christodoulides wrote

ah yes, heard that a long time ago, it was very nice.
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't it sound like Wojciech Kilar?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh