• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    the 2 brilliant orchestral scores of Lockington have now found their place on Maintitles

- City of Ember
    - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Happy reading

punk I own Journey to the Center of the Earth, but have not yet heard or purchased City of Ember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. To be honest I wasn't impressed at all.
    Not that these scores were bad, but they seemed to suffer from a trait I find with more latterday composers: once the CD is over for the life of me I can't remember what I listened to.

Yeap; technically perfect but lacking in essence and in the soul department wink journey to the Center of the Earth had some good themes though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Not that these scores were bad, but they seemed to suffer from a trait I find with more latterday composers: once the CD is over for the life of me I can't remember what I listened to.

I wonder if it's partially to do with the amount of scores released these days? (A quick listen and then onto the next 100 new score releases or indeed back to a favourite score.)

It's not always easy to remember themes and motifs on a first listen. I remember listening to Kung Fu Panda for the first time and not being able to remember much.... but now, ALL of its themes will stay with me forever. Same with Ratatouille. I would hazard a guess that sometimes [not always] it's the fault of the listener.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yeap; technically perfect but lacking in essence and in the soul department wink journey to the Center of the Earth had some good themes though.

time will tell if Lockington has got what it takes, but what these 2 scores offer of personal voice is enough to praise him this much

personal taste's a bitch wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, personal taste wasn't in the list for those scores imo, which sounded like myriad other scores out there; but he surely has talent in what he does and musical knowledge; he surely is promising but he needs to develop a style asap or else he'll be too lost in the hordes of impersonal composers / scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    having listened to those scored a combined total of probably 35-40 times, i'd say he has a very distinct voice, and one i'm dying to hear more of. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    having listened to those scored a combined total of probably 35-40 times, i'd say he has a very distinct voice, and one i'm dying to hear more of. smile

Yeah... David Arnold and Nicholas Dodd's distinct voice!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

Word. beer

Distinct is the LAST ever adjective i'd imagine anyone would ever attach to Andrew's music, so far.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, personal taste wasn't in the list for those scores imo, which sounded like myriad other scores out there; but he surely has talent in what he does and musical knowledge; he surely is promising but he needs to develop a style asap or else he'll be too lost in the hordes of impersonal composers / scores.

like Brian Tyler? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It was the first name that popped into my head. sad
    More's the pity as I had (and to some extent still have) great hopes for the man.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    More's the pity as I had (and to some extent still have) great hopes for the man.

indeed me too, but if I still adore one of his first the most (Darkness Falls), then that's a big problem

Lockington's 2 adventure scores are very much alike, but still, Skinwalkers was something different if holding his voice all the same

I think he is capable of becoming a really good one (hoping)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Martijn wrote

indeed me too, but if I still adore one of his first the most (Darkness Falls), then that's a big problem

Lockington's 2 adventure scores are very much alike, but still, Skinwalkers was something different if holding his voice all the same

I think he is capable of becoming a really good one (hoping)

Skinwalkers was Goldenthal territory.

As for Brian Tyler, i'd say that he doesn't lack a personal voice, but during the last couple of years he's been repeating it and doing variations on the same thing / style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

How many times have you listened to Lockington's scores before reaching that conclusion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

How many times have you listened to Lockington's scores before reaching that conclusion?

Quite a bit actually because they are enjoyable but with Dodd orchestrating his scores - as with other composers who use Dodd - his influence is going to bleed through.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

Quite a bit actually because they are enjoyable but with Dodd orchestrating his scores - as with other composers who use Dodd - his influence is going to bleed through.

-Erik-

Having pondered this a bit, I actually see your point. I never thought to compare Lockington's style to David Arnold, but now I do see some definite similarities.

Doesn't reduce my opinion of either though smile
  4. Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Having pondered this a bit, I actually see your point. I never thought to compare Lockington's style to David Arnold, but now I do see some definite similarities.

Doesn't reduce my opinion of either though smile

indeed, at least these scores are fun, and that's the only reason I like em so much
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thomas, for the most part I LOVE your two Lockington reviews, they are exactly why I was so excited when you first showed up on MainTitles after years of reading your reviews on your own website smile

However, I have one question...I am not sure why you seem to consider City of Ember as such a monothematic score. I am listening to it right now and I can count at least 4 themes and/or motifs. 4 distinct melodies, at least. Maybe you are considering them all to be part of them same larger theme? But even so, these melodies appear together so rarely that they seem to be distinct themes. I'll post specific tracks/times if anyone wants convincing. But regardless, I'd hardly accuse it as being as monothematic as, say, a Patrick Doyle score...don't you think?
  5. Scribe wrote
    Thomas, for the most part I LOVE your two Lockington reviews, they are exactly why I was so excited when you first showed up on MainTitles after years of reading your reviews on your own website smile

However, I have one question...I am not sure why you seem to consider City of Ember as such a monothematic score. I am listening to it right now and I can count at least 4 themes and/or motifs. 4 distinct melodies, at least. Maybe you are considering them all to be part of them same larger theme? But even so, these melodies appear together so rarely that they seem to be distinct themes. I'll post specific tracks/times if anyone wants convincing. But regardless, I'd hardly accuse it as being as monothematic as, say, a Patrick Doyle score...don't you think?

I only consider the main theme as a theme, the other more as reocurring material. In fact Journey to the Center of the Earth is more or less the same, mostly the theme as cornerstone. But at least there we have the diverse score surrounding it.

Anyway, I believe ya. I think everyone will hear a theme or a tune it it, but to my recollection it are variations of theme, and occassionally a another musical progression. But I don't consider them to be themes
  6. for those who missed it, here's the interview we did with Andrew Lockington in October

Interview
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    Nice!
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Nice!

he's a very cool guy too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited
    Great interview guys !
    Did you ask for any autographs ? wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Eric wrote
    Great interview guys !
    Did you ask for any autographs ? wink

we got our Skinwalkers CD autographed, and he asked for a photo with us, so yeah, it was good enough for us smile
  9. excellent news everybody, Andrew confirmed me that he's doing the sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth, namely Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

He had this to say: "Yes! I'm just getting started on it! Very excited to be continuing the franchise"

Woohoo, I hope it's as exciting as the first one punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012 edited
    I'm excited for this score:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/01/11 … announced/

But more importantly...
    WTF is Dwayne Johnson doing singing in this movie!?
  10. And there is ni need to have him singing on the CD either!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012 edited
    its a great score with wonderful themes. you can hear the journey theme from the first one again. he also composed a new theme, the family theme. it has a very nice trevor rabin touch. actually it sounds better than the last rabin themes. the score has also some great female solo vocal parts, especially when the journey theme and the family theme are performed by these vocals. some parts also sound a bit like john williams. the actionmusic is performed by drums and percussions and lockington also uses a choir in some actionmoments.

for me its a fantastic adventure score with beautiful themes, great vocal performences and exciting actionmoments.

btw: The Rock can sing pretty good.
    • CommentAuthoreniat
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
    Lars wrote
    its a great score with wonderful themes. you can hear the journey theme from the first one again. he also composed a new theme, the family theme. it has a very nice trevor rabin touch. actually it sounds better than the last rabin themes. the score has also some great female solo vocal parts, especially when the journey theme and the family theme are performed by these vocals. some parts also sound a bit like john williams. the actionmusic is performed by drums and percussions and lockington also uses a choir in some actionmoments.

for me its a fantastic adventure score with beautiful themes, great vocal performences and exciting actionmoments.

btw: The Rock can sing pretty good.

He is the next John Williams I think
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
    ......and BANG! Here's goes the over-statement of the day.