• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
    eniat wrote
    He is the next John Williams I think

What?!!!
  1. Review of the excellent Journey 2: The Mysterious Island score

enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited
    Dwayne da Rock Johnson sings the Louis Armstrong classic What A Wonderful World?

Fascinating!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Dwayne da Rock Johnson sings the Louis Armstrong classic What A Wonderful World?

Fascinating!

and he actually does a nice job too. Fitting and a comical moment in the film. Though I rather delete it whilst listening
  3. Got this response after I mailed Andrew about my Journey 2 review

I'm just getting started on the next Percy Jackson film which is an awesome film. Fun to get back to the action / adventure genre again after a year of some intense dramas and a dark time-travel film.
    Journey 3 is around the corner too. It's going to be a fun year.

I can only say: bloody fantastic punk
  4. Well, I know most people around here seem to be indifferent to him, but I think his latest score deserves a closer look and a bit of a second opinion, so here's my review:

http://tracksounds.com/reviews/percy_ja … ington.htm

It's funny...in James' review of this, there's a bit where he says that other and better websites would tell you about the themes and how they're used (and give the score a high mark), but he couldn't because they're so unmemorable. Well, that's kind of exactly what I did, minus the "better" part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013
    Has he really been compared to David Arnold because of a lack of personality in his music? uhm I certainly don't see that in David Arnold's music, even if Dodd has a big influence.
  5. Steven wrote
    Has he really been compared to David Arnold because of a lack of personality in his music? uhm I certainly don't see that in David Arnold's music, even if Dodd has a big influence.

I didn't mean to say that Arnold doesn't have personality, but rather that people like to say Lockington is nothing more than an Arnold clone with no voice of his own. Which I don't agree with at all, incidentally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow, now I can't wait to hear it even more!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

I didn't mean to say that Arnold doesn't have personality, but rather that people like to say Lockington is nothing more than an Arnold clone with no voice of his own. Which I don't agree with at all, incidentally.

Ah, I see I see. No, I'm not sure I agree with that assessment either.
  6. Scribe wrote

Get thyself a Spotify account!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

I have the score on my PC already, I just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, because of my OCD new-score-listening-procedures.
  7. Scribe wrote
    christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

I have the score on my PC already, I just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, because of my OCD new-score-listening-procedures.

I know exactly what you mean, and I have absolutely ridiculous procedures about what scores to listen to in what order and such, but when something by the likes of (say) Lockington, Powell or Two Steps From Hell lands then it is instantly shuffled to the #1 priority spot. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I know exactly what you mean, and I have absolutely ridiculous procedures about what scores to listen to in what order and such, but when something by the likes of (say) Lockington, Powell or Two Steps From Hell lands then it is instantly shuffled to the #1 priority spot. biggrin

Well, I moved it ahead of all my other new scores so I will listen to it tomorrow morning smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

He doesn't have much of a voice of his own.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013
    To be honest, without some Barryisms or Nic Dodds orchestrations I'm not sure if I could spot Arnold's voice? Perhaps the Lockington/Arnold lack of personality isn't that far off the mark, both have very generic action styles.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    To be honest, without some Barryisms or Nic Dodds orchestrations I'm not sure if I could spot Arnold's voice? Perhaps the Lockington/Arnold lack of personality isn't that far off the mark, both have very generic action styles.

yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013 edited
    I do like Arnold but I really do question how much "voice" he has? It's not a strong original voice and that's a fact.

I quite like some of what I've heard from Lockington too in a 'he's a competent generic composer' sort of way.
  9. Does a composer have to have a "voice" right from the outset? I can see how having a specific style could be both an advantage as well as a disadvantage for work.

Perhaps those who churn out "generic" scores have yet to find a voice for their work that will distinguish them from the rest?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Perhaps those who churn out "generic" scores have yet to find a voice for their work that will distinguish them from the rest?

Can you point one out to me? The majority just continue to prove that they don't have an original thought in their heads. I'm sure sooner or later somebody will stand out from the inanely average. ( John Powell is a very good past example )

FalkirkBairn wrote

Does a composer have to have a "voice" right from the outset? I can see how having a specific style could be both an advantage as well as a disadvantage for work.

And has probably always been true.
  10. I can't think of one at the moment - I didn't have a specific example in mind when I wrote my comment. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you guys kidding? Arnold has one of the most distinctive voices around -- even if you remove the Dodd orchestrations (it's evident even in the films where they have not collaborated). Especially those minor-moded, "Arabic"-like chord progressions that are all over his action music.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Nope. I don't hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have no idea what an Arabic chord progression is. It sounds racist. slant wink

And no, I really don't think Arnold has a distinctive voice at all. The first time I heard Independence Day, I hated it and thought it was the most generic cliched music I'd ever heard. Now, because I became less of a retard, I love that score, but I still don't see much personality in his music. The last time his music for the Olympics came on randomly, I couldn't for the life of me figure out who or what it was. Whereas composers that have a really distinct voice (Silvestri, Zimmer, Horner, Morricone, Williams, Gregson-Williams, Powell, to name the ones that first come to mind) I can usually recognize their music right away when it comes on randomly, before I even know what score I'm listening to, I can tell who the composer is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Are you guys kidding? Arnold has one of the most distinctive voices around -- even if you remove the Dodd orchestrations (it's evident even in the films where they have not collaborated). Especially those minor-moded, "Arabic"-like chord progressions that are all over his action music.

'has one of the most distinctive voices around'? Compared to who? Andrew Lockington mayhap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

'has one of the most distinctive voices around'? Compared to who? Andrew Lockington mayhap?

I don't know anything about Andrew Lockington.

I think I can hear five seconds of a cue and identify it as Arnold -- especially those wide-open intervals leaps I talked about.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fair enough. I can't. To say he has 'one of the most distinctive voices around' is a big leap for me.

Still, in this modern, mostly artistically void film music landscape I wish he was doing more film scoring.
  12. Scribe wrote
    I have no idea what an Arabic chord progression is. It sounds racist. slant wink

And no, I really don't think Arnold has a distinctive voice at all. The first time I heard Independence Day, I hated it and thought it was the most generic cliched music I'd ever heard. Now, because I became less of a retard, I love that score, but I still don't see much personality in his music. The last time his music for the Olympics came on randomly, I couldn't for the life of me figure out who or what it was. Whereas composers that have a really distinct voice (Silvestri, Zimmer, Horner, Morricone, Williams, Gregson-Williams, Powell, to name the ones that first come to mind) I can usually recognize their music right away when it comes on randomly, before I even know what score I'm listening to, I can tell who the composer is.

[irony] Yeah, Zimmer truely has a most distinctive voice. [/irony] wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

Zimmer voice is VERY distinctive, it's just that it might be one of a multitude of interchangeable names on the credit instead.