• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008 edited
    This just in:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Acclaimed film composer Jeff Rona has composed “Songs of the Sea: The Regatta Suite” at the invitation of the International Olympics Committee and the City of Qingdao, host of the 2008 Olympics Regatta. The music will be the theme of the Olympic regatta competition.

On July 16, in Qingdao at the Olympic Village, Rona will conduct a 110 piece orchestra, traditional Chinese musicians and one of the country’s top sopranos in the first ever performance of the music. Rona has tapped renown poet David Whyte and singer/songwriter Lisa Gerrard (of Dead Can Dance) to create words as part of the concert. Rona will bring the production to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong following the Qingdao world premier.

"For as long as I can remember. I have truly loved the Olympics - the spirit of global friendship and competition. A chance to see the best of the best" says Rona.

"The Olympics are about being a part of the world,” he continued. “The IOC wanted music that had a universal sound, one that conveyed the scope and prestige of the games. Dongxiao Xu, conductor of the Qingdao Symphony and a musical director for the Regatta, was introduced to my film scores quite by accident. He felt that this style was what they wanted the Olympic concert to feel like. I met with him both in Los Angeles and China, along with other musical and cultural directors for the city and the games, who were given the task of commissioning a composer for the concert - and it all went very well."

Rona traveled to the seaside town of Qingdao in January to tour the just completed Olympic Village, meet with the artistic directors, and get a feel for what he might compose. During his stay he walked through small village street markets, sat in a 1000 year old Taoist monastery and looked at the harbor where the races will take place. He visited all the concert venues throughout the city, dined with the local residents, and met with everyone involved in the regatta. He also went to Beijing to see the Olympic facilities, meet with leading Chinese musicians, tour the Great Wall of China. He also traveled to Xi'an to see the Terra Cotta warriors and travel through the country side to the Famen Temple - one of the holiest Buddhist shrines in China. All to get a better sense of a country most westerners know little about outside of politics.

Upon his return to Los Angeles, he began to sketch the 12 pieces that would make up the Regatta Suite. Using the state of the art computer technology he uses for film and television scores, he composed the symphonic pieces in a way that reflected his experiences in China, and brought his own personal sense of music and culture to the Olympics. He returns to China in July to record the Suite before the big tour begins in the 2 weeks leading up to the opening of the games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008
    Out of all the composers....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

Don't knock it until you've heard it!

THEN fire away! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008
    Jeff Rona? rolleyes
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Jeff Rona? rolleyes

He did do some nice stuff for Earthsea. Maybe it's an omen but the track "Sailing" is one example of a cue from this score I enjoy. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    He DID score that Ridley Scott film about a sailboat, didn't he? WHITE SQUALL? I haven't seen it myself, but it seems like an appropriate choice of composer for such an event.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yeah, he scored White Squall...

... because Zimmer wasn't available to replace the former composer Ridley Scott didn't like (I heard Horner ?)

biggrin
  4. Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Yeah, he scored White Squall...

... because Zimmer wasn't available to replace the former composer Ridley Scott didn't like (I heard Horner ?)

biggrin

Maurice Jarre sued Ridley Scott, claiming that he refused to pay him his full fee after his score was rejected.
  5. Antineutrino wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Yeah, he scored White Squall...

biggrin

Maurice Jarre sued Ridley Scott, claiming that he refused to pay him his full fee after his score was rejected.

Yeah, that's it !

Pauvre Maurice... biggrin
  6. Zimmer has an "ADDITIONAL MUSIC" credit in the film credits biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer has an "ADDITIONAL MUSIC" credit in the film credits biggrin

Yeah, I heard that... I don't know the truth...

And HGW is credited as "Vocal Performances" !

biggrin biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthorjrona
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Demetris,

I am sorry you feel I am such a wrong choice. It has been a pleasure to compose this concert suite - and it is very different from anything I have done before. I ask that you not judge me before hearing it.

I was asked to write some grand, epic music in honor of the Olympics, and I have tried to do that in a way that is personal, but gave the orchestra what they asked for.

Most every film composer I know gets put into a box, and is thought to only be able to write in the style of their more successful films. Most composers are either more versatile, or simply misjudged. I have wanted to write many kinds of music for which I have not had the commercial opportunity. And so this project has been a great chance to do new things.

My prior scores that involved ships and ocean do not reflect this music entirely (well, maybe here and there), but I do not believe I am below this.

My best wishes from China.

jeff rona
  8. Hi Jeff ! beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Welcome, Mr. Rona! smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Hey Jeff, glad to have you with us, welcome aboard!

I, even more than anyone else perhaps, really hope you prove me dead-wrong.

Reason is that there are some very good moments in your work in general, notably several solemn, sacred-like and melancholic writing (a style i am generally drawn to) and interesting vocal work in Earthsea and A Thousand Roads but i always felt they were scarce good parts amidst generally unfocused material that dominated the largest majority of the scores, at least as presented on album. I don't know if it was due to the nature of the on-screen visuals you had to accompany, but at least on CD they came as generally disjointed musical experiences with some few but very good isolated moments.

If you concentrate your musical ideas into larger coherent pieces and meaningful musical compositions instead of scattered film music ideas of small duration that serve merely to accompany the on-screen visuals, i am sure you'll deliver a very good musical work.

I, for one, am looking forward to the end-result.

Again, thanks for your input and for stopping by, it is much appreciated. I really hope you stick with us!

D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Good to have a composer on board here. Best of luck with your stuff there in China, Jeff. beer
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    I'm sure Jeff will do fine with this, though I may be biased as I've enjoyed his work for many years. White Squall, A Thousand Roads and Earthsea are beautiful heartfelt scores. His more contemporary work is pretty interesting too - especially from a techie point of view!

We all got our fave composers and I see Demitrious' point of view, but... dont knock it 'til you've heard it. Isn't often the least expected choice of composer that surprises us the most??? Dare I say Shore and LOTR? (Though personally I still disagree with that choice, but most of you seem to love it! LOL).

pete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    No one would have thought Gavin Greenaway had "Millennium" in him...I am sure Rona's work will be excellent. I just hope it gets a CD release.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I just hope it gets a CD release.

Me too!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    The music was released via iTunes:

Songs Of The Sea - The Regatta Suite

1. Calling Of The Sea (5:48)
    2. The Noble (5:55)
    3. The Great Journey (4:15)
    4. On The Open Sea (5:30)
    5. Intrepid (6:53)
    6. Horizon (6:13)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    jrona wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Demetris,

I am sorry you feel I am such a wrong choice. It has been a pleasure to compose this concert suite - and it is very different from anything I have done before. I ask that you not judge me before hearing it.

I was asked to write some grand, epic music in honor of the Olympics, and I have tried to do that in a way that is personal, but gave the orchestra what they asked for.

Most every film composer I know gets put into a box, and is thought to only be able to write in the style of their more successful films. Most composers are either more versatile, or simply misjudged. I have wanted to write many kinds of music for which I have not had the commercial opportunity. And so this project has been a great chance to do new things.

My prior scores that involved ships and ocean do not reflect this music entirely (well, maybe here and there), but I do not believe I am below this.

jeff rona

Whoa, I never noticed this post! shocked

D, you totally got busted. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    jrona wrote
    Demetris,

jeff rona

Hi Jeff

Could you tell us a bit about how you were approached for this project? Were there constraints?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

He has. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Has anyone heard this music yet that they can comment on it?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Hans-Zimmer.com says that this isn't the complete release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sweet maybe there will be a real CD. I can't buy it yet anyway because I have like zero money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

He has. wink

You've heard his pieces in specific?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

He has. wink

You've heard his pieces in specific?

Nevermind, answered my own question wink Is that a real orchestra btw? Sounds librar-y
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds good to me whatever it is. I really really like it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Panthera wrote
    Hans-Zimmer.com says that this isn't the complete release.

You mean Hybrid says it isn't a complete release. So what is!?