• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well you might like what lp is talking about, although i haven't heard it and i can't comment on it. The unbearable comment of mine mostly went to chinese opera wink That's what we analyzed at the uni.

I've heard it and you're spot on D.....it's fooking awful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am not too aware too, mind you. I know that certain instruments are Chinese and certain are Japanese. generally if you hear a koto and a shakuhachi (the wood flute used so much by Horner), that's Japanese and hearing an erhu means Chinese music. There are also some scale differences, but we would need a musicologist to expand on it.

It's a bit late and off topic, but interesting topic for me...

I have "Japanese ear", I hear the differences between Chinese and Japanese music. But I know little about Japanese/Chinese musical scales (I learned only a little about those stuff at elementary & junior high school), so I judged instinctively, not based on knowledge...

For example, to my ear, Sayuri's Theme from Memoirs Of A Geisha sounds Chinese. crazy It's not about instruments... the melody sounds Chinese, at least to me.

But Japanese music has been influenced by Chinese music throughout history, and we've been exposed to western music (some songs that we consider "old" were actually written in western way), so it's difficult to see what is "real" dizzy

And there are many kinds of traditional music in Japan. I think the things used by Hollywood composers are only a small part of it.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Oh, of course Hollywood uses only a small part of it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Asian traditional music complete with its pentatonic scales and local, genuine instrumentation is one thing and taking a western-composed but easter-sounding melody that through the intervals asian music uses making it "sound" that (asian) and putting it ontop completely western arrangements and instrumentation (i.e. what Hollywood does) is a completely different thing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Can anyone find the piece Rona did for the Olympics for sale somewhere other than iTunes and amazon.com that's purchasable in the UK?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    New score assignment for Rona, THE TORTURED

More info at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … tured.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    Press release about the technical/financial/art subjects film music book written by Jeff Rona

THE REEL WORLD
    Scoring For Pictures
    Revised and Expanded Second Edition
    By Jeff Rona

Advance praise for the new edition of ‘The Reel World’:

"As timely and useful a book on the subject as I've seen" -- ROBERT KRAFT, Head of Music for 20th Century Fox

"Jeff's new book is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in making film music. It's one-of-a-kind." -- JAMES NEWTON HOWARD, Academy Award nominated film composer

"This is a must for anyone considering a career in film music. Informative and entertaining, it contains nuts-and-bolts as well as big picture thinking." -- PETER GOLUB, Director of Sundance Film Music Program

“Jeff's book, The Reel World, was a deadly accurate and informative introduction to the world of film scoring. We're lucky that he has taken the time to update and expand this excellent text, making it an invaluable guide for students and score enthusiasts alike”. -- STEPHEN CROES, Berklee College of Music (Dean of Music Technology)

For aspiring composers looking to break into the field of scoring music for film, television, video games or new media, it can be a long road from just starting out to finally hearing your music come alive on the big screen. The art, technology and business of music for pictures is complex and ever changing and can be difficult for beginners to navigate. Designed to address the industry's latest trends and challenges, the 2nd edition of The Reel World – Scoring for Pictures is an essential field guide to help composers understand what it takes to make it in film music.

Readers of the original Reel World will find this new “2.0” edition a whole new look at the landscape of this popular and sometimes complicated world. Whether scoring for traditional orchestra, or new electronic musical trends, readers will learn how to exploit the latest and best tools for the job.

In this new and fully revised edition of The Reel World, Jeff Rona, a well known and highly in demand composer, details personal insights into the technical, business, and creative aspects of becoming a successful film scorer. He explains how to work within the complex politics of filmmaking, advising on the most effective ways of building relationships with directors, producers, music supervisors, orchestrators, musicians, engineers, and agents. The book also includes a wealth of new interviews with some of Hollywood’s top film writers including John Williams, Carter Burwell, James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Mark Isham, Wendy and Lisa and many more. A companion website offers audio clips and constantly evolving resources for composers.

The Reel World covers everything from setting up a studio and managing the business side of a film career, to learning how to create impactful demos and write music that shapes the tone, character, and pacing of any project. Rona draws on his wealth of experience writing music for such films as Traffic, Blackhawk Down, Mission: Impossible 2, Gladiator, Homicide-Life On The Street, White Squall, Profiler, The Mothman Prophesies, and many more, making the new edition The Reel World the most complete and authoritative book available on the subject.

About the Author:
    Jeff Rona is a contemporary film composer, recording artist, producer, conductor and performer. He worked on dozens of films & records before landing his first solo composing project, scoring the acclaimed television series Homicide:Life On The Street for director Barry Levinson. He was for many years a collaborator with Academy Award winning film composer Hans Zimmer. He has scored numerous major films and television projects with directors such as Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, Wong Kar-wai, Robert Altman, Steven Soderbergh, Mark Pellington, Jonathan Demme, Frank Darabont and many others. His projects have received significant awards including Oscar, Peabody & Emmy awards, and countless film festival awards around the world. He is a recipient of the ASCAP film and television music award. He has composed music for numerous commercials, video games, trailers, remixes, and albums. Rona can be reached on the web at www.jeffrona.com.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009
    2009, May 19

Composer Talk: Interview with Jeff Rona

Jeff Rona is one of the most versatile composers working in Hollywood. He's written music for television, film and games. Jeff Rona has collaborated with composers such as Hans Zimmer, Mark Mancina, John Powell and many others. He's written music for the Ridley Scott film White Squall, for television series such as Homicide, Traffic miniseries, Earthsea. Currently he's working on the playstation 3 game God of War III and has also finished the music for the Nintendo DS version of Transformers 2. His book The Reel World has just been released in it's second edition.

http://www.filmmusicsite.com/titles.cgi … mp;lang=en
  3. 2 reviews of Rona

One that is very nice: White Squall and one that is average: Earthsea
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    2 reviews of Rona

I remember seeing WHITE SQUALL a few months back and absolutely loving the score! But it's kinda hard to come by these days, right (for a reasonable price)?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    2 reviews of Rona

I remember seeing WHITE SQUALL a few months back and absolutely loving the score! But it's kinda hard to come by these days, right (for a reasonable price)?

you can still find it, and at a pretty decent price at Amazon when you pick used
    but indeed, lovely score

Amazon
  5. Has anybody heard the music Jeff Rona wrote for God of War III?

Typical bombastic stuff, sampled but quite entertaining, in the style of the game music of the previous 2
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    Yeap, i heard it in context with the Marino and the co pieces. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    New score

phantom

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.gr/2013/0 … -2013.html
  6. If the music heard in the video linked below is part of the score for Phantom then it could be quite an interesting listen:

http://jeffrona.com/phantom/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. ... Generation Iron by Jeff Rona. A mesmerising electronic work, that I can't get enough of.

http://synchrotones.wordpress.com/

All the best,
    <s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    And i love it too, huge surprise by Rona, i wrote about it in facebook.com/scoremagacine to which Rona responded very possitively too; very nice score, and went under the radar as well.
  8. Well.. he is a very nice guy.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube