• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    Well guys,

with Indy 4 out there, there's been something that annoyed me quite a bit! A read a couple of reviews that made completely false comments on the track: 'The Journey To Akator ' !! So let's get this straight for ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! John Williams the composer is NOT, i repeat NOT the same dude as John Williams the guitarist!!!!!! ( yes, he did filmmusic as well - deer hunter ). So, if you write a review and make this kind of comments, PLEASE make your homework first or at least check the right sources!

Amen,
    Jojo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No offence, but I don't know what you're on about in the first place, so that post didn't really clear it up at all. dizzy smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm. I haven't read a single review which made that mistake!

But while we're on the subject, please can I make clear that the David Arnold who wrote the music for Stargate is NOT the same David Arnold who was in class 2B with me in 1990-91.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    Well Anthony, may be I did'nt explained it right. But there seems to be a lot of confusion on the artist John Williams. Some folks think that the classical guitarist John Williams is the same guy that writes all of Spielberg Scores! that's NOT the case. Both are very succesfull but in there own right. So some reviewer just mix'em up and think it's the same man! And I think it's a bit strange that those reviewerss are so badly informed in these days of internet, wikipedia and such...

Thé John Williams: http://www.johnwilliamscomposer.com/
    the other one: http://www.johnwilliamsguitar.com/

So heil to John Williams and euh that other John Williams guitardude smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Joris wrote
    And I think it's a bit strange that those reviewerss are so badly informed in these days of internet, wikipedia and such...

Dood... I don't think you will find ANYONE around here who mixes up the two. But I'm curious... where are these uninformed reviews that you speak of.

Examples please...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    Yes, indeed examples would be appreciated!

This must surely be the wrong crowd to inform that John Williams the composer is not a famous guitarist... rolleyes
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Can you please link to the review(s)? We'd all love to read them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To give Joris the benefit of the doubt, he's probably just venting a similiar type of frustration that we all must have felt at one point. Film music is prone to a lot of mis-information by "the general public".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    To give Joris the benefit of the doubt, he's probably just venting a similiar type of frustration that we all must have felt at one point. Film music is prone to a lot of mis-information by "the general public".

Yes, but why bitch on a film music board when we all know the difference. Why not email or contact the reviewers who are confusing the two.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    Well, no biggie happened if you want my opinion, no need to drag this even more. It's call exaggerating to make a point. Yes, it's a bit bigger than usual but nothing major happened. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote

Good point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

Good point.

Again, why vent on a film music board where we are all quite knowledgeable about which John Williams is which. Or at least list some examples so we can see what you are talking about. Like I said earlier Joris should be spending his time emailing the reviewers instead of wasting his time bitching to us.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    I was not bitching about it guys, Just a bit surprised that in these days and age there still can be a mix-up with the composer en guitarist! Especially knowing that filmcomposer John Williams is an Icon not only in the USA but all over the world.

this is the review I was talking about. I've seen the same mix-up elsewhere but can't find it at this moment:

7. The Journey to Akator – 3:08
    The opening of the track features an enjoyable rhythmic buildup to a rendition of the Raiders March which appropriately ends with a full fanfare statement.

And then.

Then we get what is perhaps the biggest surprise of the entire album. The second half of this track is a Latin-flavored cue filled with percussion, brass, wood flute and guitar. And while it may seem bizarrely placed in the soundtrack, it’s exceptionally well-done. Williams has already experienced success as a classical and Spanish guitar composer. And if you can accept the jarring transition from the Raiders Theme to this cue, you’ll be in for a real treat. (Posted by Samuel Walters )

http://dauntlessmedia.net/indiana-jones … eview.html

Grtz, Jojo - setting gay things straight
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Joris wrote
    I was not bitching about it guys, Just a bit surprised that in these days and age there still can be a mix-up with the composer en guitarist! Especially knowing that filmcomposer John Williams is an Icon not only in the USA but all over the world.

I'm not shocked that people still make this mistake. In this day an age there are people out there that consider all film music to be composed by John Williams and that one and only film score that one would listen to is Star Wars.

BTW, did you bother to contact and reviewer and point out the mistake?

-Erik-
  1. Joris wrote

this is the review I was talking about. I've seen the same mix-up elsewhere but can't find it at this moment:

7. The Journey to Akator – 3:08
    The opening of the track features an enjoyable rhythmic buildup to a rendition of the Raiders March which appropriately ends with a full fanfare statement.

And then.

Then we get what is perhaps the biggest surprise of the entire album. The second half of this track is a Latin-flavored cue filled with percussion, brass, wood flute and guitar. And while it may seem bizarrely placed in the soundtrack, it’s exceptionally well-done. Williams has already experienced success as a classical and Spanish guitar composer. And if you can accept the jarring transition from the Raiders Theme to this cue, you’ll be in for a real treat. (Posted by Samuel Walters )

http://dauntlessmedia.net/indiana-jones … eview.html

Grtz, Jojo - setting gay things straight

Bregt, now this is a member we should never allow as member on this site!
    You do the right thing now yes? biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    What 'Kind' of member do you mean exactely Tommy Boy? biggrin
  2. Joris wrote
    What 'Kind' of member do you mean exactely Tommy Boy? biggrin

the kind who thinks they are gonna teach us something about film music tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    "Our minds thus grow in spots; and like grease spots, the spots spread. But we let them spread as little as possible: we keep unaltered as much of our old knowledge, as many of our old prejudices and beliefs, as we can."

James Truslow Adams
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    In this day an age there are people out there that consider all film music to be composed by John Williams and that one and only film score that one would listen to is Star Wars.

Man, that's insane! biggrin
  3. Joris wrote

&
    TheTelmarine
    Man, that's insane! biggrin

Nah, not insanity ... just ignorance. wink

The thing about ignorance though, is that until someone clues you in (or you stumble on the information yourself), you stay ignorant. Quite honestly, even though there are lots of resources I could have used to get the right information, I had no reason to suspect that the guitarist was different from the composer -- I just figured Williams (the composer) had written the music and someone else was performing it. And it would seem that I'm not the only one to make such a mistake. So I definitely appreciate having found this particular discussion and I wanted thank those here who've pointed out my error. I've since removed the erroneous statement from my review.

beer
    The ends do not justify the means, the means are what separate good from evil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    It happens to the best of us I guess. Besides, what are the odds that 2 people in a simular profession share the same name!! Williams does classical stuff from time to time, and the classical guitar-player did filmmusic as well ( deer hunter ). As a Williams fan and devoté, I was a bit annoyed because it's a frequent mistake, although I hardly can blame people for making them because of the reason I just gave above.

And on the other hand, everyone that writes about filmmusic keeps it alive by doing just that, so please keep on writing those reviews!!! I Did like your detailed review on the whole Simon smile

Grtz, now let's get pissed!!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Yeah, and there's that ALAN SILVESTRI dude who sells his own-made wine.

tongue wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    not to mention 'the invasion of Greek filmscorelovers' LOL biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Joris wrote
    It happens to the best of us I guess. Besides, what are the odds that 2 people in a simular profession share the same name!! Williams does classical stuff from time to time, and the classical guitar-player did filmmusic as well ( deer hunter ).

Actually, the guitarist Williams didn't write anything for THE DEER HUNTER. Stanley Myers wrote the famous "Cavatina" theme. Williams only performed the guitar solo.

Also, as John Williams is a very common name, there are several other people in the film biz by that name. For example, I seem to remember that there was another John Williams working on SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (a producer?), so there were two John Williams'es working on the same film (although with different middle names)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Imagine that! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Good thing this reviewer didn't search for John Williams on imdb and wikipedia, he could have gotten all kinds of strange ideas. It could just as easily have been:

---------------------
    Then we get what is perhaps the biggest surprise of the entire album. The second half of this track is a Latin-flavored cue filled with percussion, brass, wood flute and guitar. And while it may seem bizarrely placed in the soundtrack, it’s exceptionally well-done. Williams has already experienced success as a classical and Spanish guitar composer, producer of Shrek, actor in "Dial M for Murder", "Bon bini beach" and "Sesame Street", cinematographer in "Some of Your Bits Ain't Nice", a coach for the South African rugby team and a british MP who died in 1855. And if you can accept the jarring transition from the Raiders Theme to this cue, you’ll be in for a real treat.
    ---------------------

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    plindboe wrote
    Good thing this reviewer didn't search for John Williams on imdb and wikipedia, he could have gotten all kinds of strange ideas. It could just as easily have been:

---------------------
    Then we get what is perhaps the biggest surprise of the entire album. The second half of this track is a Latin-flavored cue filled with percussion, brass, wood flute and guitar. And while it may seem bizarrely placed in the soundtrack, it’s exceptionally well-done. Williams has already experienced success as a classical and Spanish guitar composer, producer of Shrek, actor in "Dial M for Murder", "Bon bini beach" and "Sesame Street", cinematographer in "Some of Your Bits Ain't Nice", a coach for the South African rugby team and a british MP who died in 1855. And if you can accept the jarring transition from the Raiders Theme to this cue, you’ll be in for a real treat.
    ---------------------

Peter smile

LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Joris wrote
    It happens to the best of us I guess. Besides, what are the odds that 2 people in a simular profession share the same name!! Williams does classical stuff from time to time, and the classical guitar-player did filmmusic as well ( deer hunter ).

Actually, the guitarist Williams didn't write anything for THE DEER HUNTER. Stanley Myers wrote the famous "Cavatina" theme. Williams only performed the guitar solo.

Also, as John Williams is a very common name, there are several other people in the film biz by that name. For example, I seem to remember that there was another John Williams working on SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (a producer?), so there were two John Williams'es working on the same film (although with different middle names)!

The "Theme to The Deer Hunter" was first used years before in the 1970 film The Walking Stick.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt