• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I know with Jerry Fielding scores I'm confident enough in the result that I will buy pretty much as they're announced, even if I don't know the music, because I know there are enough fans of him to make it sell out before I can really judge. One thing's for sure - I'm not one of the speculators. I do wish I had time to listen to all the music I bought however.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Ah well! I haven't gotten any of the Fielding scores because by the time I've tried to decide if I need them, they're gone. There's a lot of pressure to buy the limited edition cds because a little dilly-dallying can only lead to regret at missing out. I've gotten stuff in the past that I wasn't really interested in but didn't want to miss out (perhaps I might like it) but I'm being more choosy nowadays.

What would be great is for the labels to announce the title but start taking orders about 10 days later. That would give enough time to find out more about the score, or perhaps get the movie from Netflix and watch it.

Nevertheless it's cool that the Fielding scores are selling out and this should lead to more of his score releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    This is an interesting and challenging score, but I've already had the Bay Cities release on a CD-R for years, so I'm not too sorry for losing out on this. Only problem is that all my CD'R's have started to skip. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Even though it sold out after a few serious listens here is my opinion
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/scorpiofielding/
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had to edit the above review because I'm confused about wordpress but I'm trying to learn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One more question? Does the first paragraph sound like I'm bitter?
    Thomas confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    THE KILLER ELITE
    Composed and Conducted by JERRY FIELDING
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 85

The 1975 United Artists film The Killer Elite was the final collaboration between director Sam Peckinpah and composer Jerry Fielding, delving into the lives of two assassins at a super-elite, CIA-like agency. "Trust no one" is evident as one moral of this story -- as agent George Hansen (Robert Duvall) shoots his partner Mike Locken (James Caan), deliberately maiming him in order to “retire” him from the “life.” Left crippled, Locken struggles back to health and some level of fitness, while persuaded to return to active duty when Hansen resurfaces, now playing for the other side. Locken’s only motivation to put himself through the painful rehabilitation is his need to confront Hansen about the whys and wherefores of his heinous action.

Like Locken, the music for the most part is constricted, clinging to the shadows. Since the character is a partial invalid, Jerry Fielding's music "stays close, encircling him like a chain around his neck. The tolling pulse is Locken’s throb of anger, his inability to move as he once could, and the anguish that accompanies him everywhere, rising and falling like a gorge in Locken’s throat," comments Nick Redman in his liner notes.

Intrada initially released selections of The Killer Elite on its Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia album. This new release of the complete score expands on Intrada’s initial release, so that now it can be enjoyed in all its varied colors: light, dark, solemn, and airy, including the omitted jazz cues that play an integral part of the on screen action. One highlight on this new disc, never heard before, is the original take of the main title. The bass line in the opening basses, piano, and tuba is greatly reinforced by the low brass and played fortissimo, and the finale of the piece features a tympani crescendo in the closing bars for a dramatic punch. All this probably made the music too forceful, so Fielding greatly reduced the low brass to a solitary tuba and the crescendo was removed for the alternate version heard in the film.

Redman describes the additional music: Among the other cues added to this CD are: “Locken Shot”; “In The Limo”; all the fun and engaging source music for “Mac’s Garage,” which eagle-eared listeners will recognize from other Fielding scores; “Hot Waltz On Thin Ice In Two Movements Without Pause,” surely one of Jerry’s wackiest cue titles; the short, but ominous “Listen Carefully”; and “Collis Gets His.” With the gorgeous “Sailing To Suisan Bay” (aka “Sailing, Sailing”), Fielding is able to open up—to allow the music to momentarily break free—but then he is forced to shut down again until the final liberation, when Locken heads toward the open sea, outward bound into the head wind of man uncertain future.

Remixed and remastered from the original stereo elements at MGM, this release is limited to 1500 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 85
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5977/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    The first Special Collection double-dip! It was only a matter of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    One more question? Does the first paragraph sound like I'm bitter?
    Thomas confused

I think it's unnecessary. Seriously, get over this LIMITED EDITION bitterness that you have and just review the music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that people who know nothing about this should be made aware. If your in a film class doing research and need a copy you should know the rules. In fact it is still listed as being available on soundtrack collector thru Intrada. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=23469

None of this is true in the world of classical music. If I want to reference the influence McKay had on the composers who wrote western music for Hollywood the recording of In A Moonlit Ceremony will be available for years. It is the only recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ ONE BIG GIGANTIC rolleyes

Tom - producing classical music albums and producing film music albums are two TOTALLY different monsters. We've had this discussion before. Unless there is some magical way that you can figure out how to produce a film music album by not paying ridiculous UNION FEES (something that classical music usually doesn't have to worry about ) which in turn would allow you to produce an unlimited supply of albums then I will listen. Also, if you can magically make film music as popular a classical music, then I will listen. So until then STOP comparing classical music to film music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik's point on the comparison is well made, but I feel Tom is correct at least where the awareness side of things is concerned: reviews of film music CDs almost solely concern teh music (well duh), and I think Tom's extra take is an interesting one worth making.

Whether you like it or not, whether it's justified or not, there IS a growing concern about limited editions and the way they are presented AND snapped up. And Tom as a consumer, reviewer and writer has all the right in the world to address that.
    (Again, whether one agrees or not is another matter)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just think that a simple line at the end of the review stating the following "and unfortunately this album was limited to xxxx amount of copies and is now out of print" would do the trick. Or at least leave the editorial until the end of the review. I find the opening paragraph of Tom's review to be messy and incoherent.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My problem - and where I sympathise with Tom here - is that this "union rules" thing was a very real problem at one time, but a lot of limited editions these days are done that way solely as a marketing gimmick. For a London-recorded score (like Scorpio, I believe, though I would have to check) it wouldn't make a jot of difference whether the album was limited to 1,500 or 15,000 or not limited at all - though of course there may be another contractual reason for the limitation. Lots of things are limited to low quantities for the sole purpose of trying to make them sell out very quickly, which makes sound business sense for the label, but I think debating it is entirely valid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just think that a simple line at the end of the review stating the following "and unfortunately this album was limited to xxxx amount of copies and is now out of print" would do the trick.

Stylistically it might indeed more coherent to put it at the end.
    On the other hand, Tom clearly has a bee in his bonnet about the whole thing as readers of his blog will know, so it's not that odd on his own blog to start off with that particular aspect.

But of course you're right it might more or less alienate the casual reader.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    though of course there may be another contractual reason for the limitation.

Exactly! There is more to this then just union fees and what not. What would be fantastic is for someone like Tom who is bitter about the whole situation to get all of his fact straight and maybe call up an Intrada or Varese or whomever and request an interview and learn about the process and what exactly goes into producing an album like Scorpio or any other limited edition CD. I'll tell ya, you want visitors to your blog, Tom, a story like what bring'em by the truck load.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, that's one thing...but I doubt any business would admit to artificially keeping amounts low to jack up prices. With Southall and Tom I think that particular matter is eminently debatable.

But some background info would indeed be most interesting. Like I said, most reviews focus on the music.
    It'd be interesting to hear things froma production and business perspective (WITH the necessary critical analyses!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It has been extremely well read. I also explained that it could surface again as a release and in my opinion while it isn't worth $50 it is a good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have tried Erik. I couldn't get through to Townson, Lukas wouldn't give me the time of day, Fake skirted the issue, and MV told me the truth but off the record. As a journalist I must abide by that. Rats
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I have tried Erik. I couldn't get through to Townson, Lukas wouldn't give me the time of day, Fake skirted the issue, and MV told me the truth but off the record. As a journalist I must abide by that. Rats

Well, that's just... sad!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    MV?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I think the economy in the US is going to worsen even more and their sales will slow down. Let's all keep track of the cool new John Williams release (2500 copies) and how well it sells. Also the new Fielding The Killer Elite. I ordered the Williams one by the way as I had both of the LP's and loved them growing up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    LaLa Land Martijn, sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Well, that's one thing...but I doubt any business would admit to artificially keeping amounts low to jack up prices. With Southall and Tom I think that particular matter is eminently debatable.

But some background info would indeed be most interesting. Like I said, most reviews focus on the music.
    It'd be interesting to hear things froma production and business perspective (WITH the necessary critical analyses!)

Granted, I don't read many REVIEWS, but if you're looking at the online film music fora, it's the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what you describe. Most people seem to be more interested in everything AROUND the music - limited editions, what jewel case it comes in, copyrights, artwork, postal office delivery times, restoration details etc. - and VERY RARELY offer interesting, in-depth views on the AESTHETICS of the music itself. I think this is unfortunate. We need to get back to the music. It has become a collector's market, and I have very little - if ANYTHING - in common with collector mentality in relation to soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently you've been hanging FSM too long, Thor. smile

Here we mainly discuss
    emoticons?

shame
  2. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Granted, I don't read many REVIEWS, but if you're looking at the online film music fora, it's the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what you describe.

The reviews you'll find at Movie Wave, Movie Music UK, SoundtrackNet, Soundtrack Express, Music from the Movies, even FSM Online (as opposed to the message board) are nearly all always about the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Thor does make some excellent points also about the collector mentality which I don't care about either, thus the disagreement with the limited edition stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Granted, I don't read many REVIEWS, but if you're looking at the online film music fora, it's the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what you describe.

The reviews you'll find at Movie Wave, Movie Music UK, SoundtrackNet, Soundtrack Express, Music from the Movies, even FSM Online (as opposed to the message board) are nearly all always about the music.

Yeah...but again, I don't read many reviews, and since it is the fora that define "current events", so to speak - that defines our paradigm; the themes we discuss and that in turn define "film score fandom" at any given time, THOSE are the places I wish MUSIC had a higher place. If the reviews are all about music all the time, I say "swell, carry on!". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I still am of the opinion that some background info is necessary