• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    SCORPIO
    Composed and Conducted by JERRY FIELDING

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 69

Intrada is proud to announce its brand new remixed, remastered, and expanded release of Jerry Fielding's score to Michael Winner's 1973 United Artists film Scorpio. An espionage thriller set in Paris, Washington DC, and Vienna, Fielding wrote one of his most colorful, thrilling, and diverse scores. As Nick Redman writes in his insightful notes, "The opening chords of Jerry Fielding’s “Main Title” waft on the air like the warm fragrance of baking bread from a Parisian patisserie. So romantic and fulling are these sounds that it’s disconcerting... As the music swells, reaching the theme’s fullest statement, Cross (Burt Lancaster), clad in this film’s habitual costume of suit, hat and raincoat, purposefully stalks the Paris boulevards."

Cross is an old-time CIA agent, in charge of assassinating high-ranking foreign leaders that get in the way of US policies. He often teams up with Frenchman Jean Laurier (Alian Delon), alias "Scorpio," a gifted free-lance operative. One day, the CIA orders Scorpio to eliminate Cross. While Scorpio may be a cold-blooded and systematic killer, veteran Cross knows enough to evade demise. A lethal game of hide-and-seek ensues, with the true motives of each player truly clouded.

The score to Scorpio was originally released on LP in Elmer Bernstein's Film Music Collection in the 70s, then later reissued on CD by Bay Cities in the early 90s. As Redman notes, "This new edition of Scorpio is a revelation all over again; its author would have been proud to hear it this way. Replicating as closely as possible what it must have been like to stand in CTS at the sessions and hear this forceful work played live, this expanded recording captures in
    vivid detail every nuance of the tightly embroidered patchwork quilt that is the Scorpio score: its rhythms, its shadings, its dazzling twists and turns. Sonically, it’s most impressive, with every glob and globule of Lewzey’s careful microphone placement matching stave for stave Fielding’s layered waves of sound. Built out from the 1977 LP’s 14 tracks to 22 for this presentation, the score is substantially longer, revealing motifs and thematic connections
    easily missed in the film." Several other tracks have been expanded beyond their original LP presentation, delivering the definitive release of one of Fielding's finest works.

This release is limited to 1500 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 69
    Retail Price: $19.99
    IN STOCK NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5816/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Intrada's on a roll! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Another Fielding / Winner score makes it out!

And James - you're going to have to do another Moviewave horroscope. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin biggrin

I'd forgotten about that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    sold out at Intrada!
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    sold out at Intrada!
    Tom smile

This is getting insane now. Had my evening out with my work colleagues lasted another 45 minutes I'd have missed out on this CD. It's beyond a joke. Can't the labels see how stupid it is?
  2. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin biggrin

I'd forgotten about that!

It was quite a let down when you didn't do one for ZODIAC! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I hope in another 10 or 20 years the scores of the 90s will also get attention and get this form of release. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Intrada and Varese mostly are trying to create a demand plus figure out how many they think they can sell in advance. They spend their own money up front paying for the reuse fees, printing, and the making of the CD. If they end up with too many extra that is inventory that is $$$ out of their pocket. If say the cost is $15 and they sell it for $20 and they make 3000. That way everyone is happy except Intrada. Their cost is 45,000. If they sell say half (remember at 3000 many will wait) that is only $30,000. That means they have 15,000 tied up and if you multiply that by 20 you have 300,000 tied up in inventory which is a lot of money. They are trying to figure out how many they can sell. Tough call. I don't think that cutting the price by a third would double their sales. Price isn't as much of a factor. Also remember this. In the 90's I bought 55 CD's from them on a closeout for $55. I wonder how much they lost. I know its the cost of doing business but somehow I don't think we're dealing with that big a market. I was in retail for a long time and frankly I'd have to think long and hard to come up with something better.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I do understand the economics of it but the only reason to make it limited to 1,500 is a marketing gimmick. It doesn't have to be limited at all. They could just print 1,500 of them and then if demand is such, they can easily print another 1,000 when the first run sells out. It's really nice for them (and Varese) that they're getting these big pay-days after so many years of struggling along, but it's doing nobody any favours in the long run, this game they're playing. There will be no new generation of fans listening to these older scores now because by the time any reviews of these CDs appear which might encourage them to buy them, the CDs are sold out. This is very different from even a handful of years ago - I remember when I made my first tentative leaps into older film music having originally been satisfied with newer stuff, I just wouldn't be able to do it any more because of the limited editions. They could even make the things available for download - MovieScore Media does this, releasing a few physical CDs which may or may not sell out, and having a download option as well which will never expire. But then they wouldn't be able to play their game of trying to sell out as quickly as possible, thus screwing over every future generation of film music fans, and indeed dividing the current generation between those in the financial position to be able to afford to click "buy" the very second they hear of a release, and those who aren't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    Of course it's all marketing. Thing is that most people are "buying it" (no pun intended).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Speaking about myself, I'm happy enough if there is an expanded release of a score I love, that's a big thing in itself. Personally it's the quantity and quality of the music that matter to me most, and even if they do only a 100 limited copies release I'll be perfectly happy getting just a CD-R copy from eBay or something and make my own covers etc. At least the music is there... look at so many deserving titles that don't even have a proper score release, not even a limited one! tongue

That's only strictly my personal opinion, anyway.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Of course it's all marketing. Thing is that most people are "buying it" (no pun intended).

To be honest, the world would be a better place if more people bought Jerry Fielding's film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The world would be a better place if more people bought film music. Alas there will forever be fucktarts on this planet who fail to appreciate the finer things in life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    The world would be a better place if more people bought film music. Alas there will forever be fucktarts on this planet who fail to appreciate the finer things in life.

If that were the case we'd have better than 15 minutes long score releases from labels like Disney... tongue

I'm perhaps one of the ten or so people in the total 2 million or something population of my country who actually know it as "film score" and not as "background score" or just "background music" rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I HATE that! "Background music" is one of the most ignorant ways to describe film music! IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!! :hulk:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I HATE that! "Background music" is one of the most ignorant ways to describe film music! IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!! :hulk:

Same here! angry

Ironically in films here the sound editing is pretty bad so sometimes the score is so LOUD that it almost masks the dialogue!! We can pretty much call it "foreground music" biggrin
    And despite apparently wanting us to pay attention to the score so much, they don't bother to release it tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    MovieScore Media is dealing with different licensing rules I think. The question you and I don't know the answer to is how much cost is involved between 1500 and 3000. At least with the game that Intrada plays Douglass and Roger are kicking themselves knowing they likely blew another 10,000 in sales because in this case they could have sold 2000. On the otherhand with their re-recording of Spellbound they lost money.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

To be honest, the world would be a better place if more people bought Jerry Fielding's film music.

I was talking more in general terms about people going bananas over scores that otherwise wouldn't interest them 'cause of marketing / limited edition / film board craze tricks.

About the said gentleman, what would you recommend to someone who's never heard anything? (with some short descriptions of musical style if possible, please)
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    james, you need to write that essay already. We need the bigwigs to see it and respond to it, when us normal folk write such things, it just gets glossed over as "narrow" thinking.
  4. With Fielding, BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA and THE MECHANIC (incredibly dark) are the two I get the most out of. Warning: Very stark, chamber-oriented, modernist composition. He uses elements from both jazz and atonal techniques.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    Sounds VERY interesting for sure. Will check it out. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For a novice Lawman would be my suggested starting point. If you go with something like The Mechanic, you have to be ready for some truly challenging music. Exceptionally rewarding - but exceptionally challenging, not like anything a film composer would get away with today, especially in a film like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Figure out a way for them to make more $$$$ with less work and they'll be interested.

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    There is NO starting poitn with Fielding because they're practically all out of print. All Ive heard is his star trek stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Bay Cities CD set if you can find it is a good starting point

Tom smile
  5. I was wondering if there was going to be any releases worth getting that I'd miss whilst I was away - and here's the title I missed!

There was a time when a Jerry Fielding title would take a while to sell a couple of hundred never mind over 1000 units!

It seems now that there's some sort of frenzy when limited editions are released. Are people buying something that they, in the past, would not buy just in case they liked it but don't want to wait just in case it's sold out when they want to buy it later? dizzy

Also, Just looking at eBay today there are 5 Scorpio items for sale: and it looks like they will go for >$100 each. These labels must know that this sort of "panic buying" is happening and there's not much that can be done about this. Indeed, this sort of buying is inconvenient for people who are away from their computers for a few minutes, but if people are genuinely interested in trying an unfamiliar score then good luck to them.

But how many of these CDs are bulk-bought by people so that they can sell them on on eBay knowing that they will fetch inflated prices? Shouldn't labels introduce "1 CD per customer" limits right from the start to allow all the people who want a copy to get it. Then allow bulk buying and see how many sell on eBay.

Anyone who has managed to get a copy of this Intrada release I'd appreciate a copy. Because I'm not paying >$100 on eBay.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But how many of these CDs are bulk-bought by people so that they can sell them on on eBay knowing that they will fetch inflated prices? Shouldn't labels introduce "1 CD per customer" limits right from the start to allow all the people who want a copy to get it. Then allow bulk buying and see how many sell on eBay.

Give THIS a read.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Thanks Erik for the link. Have they expanded this rambling a bit since it came out? I thought that I had read this before but it does seem quite a bit longer now.

One of the things I do find hard to accept centres around:

"...We can't just limit things to one-per-customer because in a free enterprise system, other dealers may choose to do something else. And we don't want to exclude other dealers we enjoy working with..."

Surely, Intrada knows who their "other dealers" are? Don't they take Intrada's more general releases as well? And would this not make it easy to identify who genuine dealers are and who are the speculators? I think that the "slippery slope" Doug talks about is having genuine fans, in the long run, losing out and missing these releases.

"...we've got more goodies in the works that you probably thought would never see the light of day..." - they may see the light of day by being released by Intrada but if we can't actually hear the music because they can't be bought for a price below $100 then it sort of defeats them being released in the first place.

I just hope that Roger, Jeff, George, Steve, Wendy and Doug can come up with a solution that pleases everyone - except the speculating businessmen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn