• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Composer of Star Trek: Generations, as well as The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Enterprise.
  1. Don't you mean, the "ORiginal Motion Picture Soundtracks" to? tongue

What about him? You pretty much just summed up his Trek credits.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Don't you mean, the "ORiginal Motion Picture Soundtracks" to? tongue

What about him? You pretty much just summed up his Trek credits.

LOL, you really love bugging me with that, don't you? tongue Um, I just started this thread as a place for discussion about his works...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Does anyone have the Star Trek: Generations OST? I'm contemplating purchasing it tonight, and was wondering what you all think of it. Just finished seeing the movie for the first time this morning.
  2. I think -- and this is my opinion -- it's a very strong score and one of the best in the franchise, though more modern (especially in orchestration). Also one of his best scores.

Here is some of the end of the "Main Title":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpy3zn3okd0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    I think -- and this is my opinion -- it's a very strong score and one of the best in the franchise, though more modern (especially in orchestration). Also one of his best scores.

Here is some of the end of the "Main Title":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpy3zn3okd0

Thanks for the link! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    Well, I just bought the soundtrack to Star Trek: Generations, and so far am very impressed with it! punk
  3. I like it. There is some very impressive work on the famous Trek TV theme in it, and it has some very nice action tracks. Compared to Goldsmith and Horner, it´s not standing a chance, of course, but I prefer it far above Rosenman´s effort, and parts of it are on par with Eidelman´s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I like it. There is some very impressive work on the famous Trek TV theme in it, and it has some very nice action tracks. Compared to Goldsmith and Horner, it´s not standing a chance, of course, but I prefer it far above Rosenman´s effort, and parts of it are on par with Eidelman´s.

Yes, I noticed the main Star Trek theme in it while listening last night! At the end of Star Trek Generations Overture there is a very cool intertwinement of the main Star trek: Generations theme and the original Star Trek TV theme! Brilliant! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Coincidentally, I just listened to the GENERATIONS score for the first time in several years. I've always found this to be one of the weakest of the series (kind of non-descript TV music blown up to the big screen), but now I found myself liking it more. It has themes and things going on that I hadn't discovered before. Of course, I could be without the sound effects at the end, which are mostly geared towards Trekkies (which I am not). I think this was a 90's phenomenon.

Other than that, I think some of the work he did on MACGYVER was pretty good. Not always (and I actually prefer Ken Harrison's work on the series), but the occasional gem now and then. We need a MACGYVER CD in any case!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Of course, I could be without the sound effects at the end, which are mostly geared towards Trekkies (which I am not).

Yeah, I find those to be kind of stupid; I rated them all one star on iTunes. smile
  4. It is more of a Trekkie thing; listen once in a blue moon, because they are done quite well and some have a certain "flow" to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    Since the score is quite long, I don´t feel being cheated of plaiyng time. And there are / were a lot of fans out there making their own fan movies who surely were quite thankful for those sound files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Since the score is quite long, I don´t feel being cheated of plaiyng time.

Good point. I'm listening to The Nexus / A Christmas Hug right now; it's absolutely gorgeous! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    William wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Good point. I'm listening to The Nexus / A Christmas Hug right now; it's absolutely gorgeous! cool

It's a fabulous track, easily the best on the album. Apart from that one track I don't warm much to the rest of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

It's a fabulous track, easily the best on the album. Apart from that one track I don't warm much to the rest of it.

I also like the opening track, Star Trek Generations Overture. It's a nice arrangement of the main theme and the Nexus theme.
  5. I also like the action tracks. They are certainly not the best stuff out there, but for McCarthy, they truly WERE an accomplishment. I guess he was just extremely happy to finally being allowed to run amok with an orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I also like the action tracks. They are certainly not the best stuff out there, but for McCarthy, they truly WERE an accomplishment. I guess he was just extremely happy to finally being allowed to run amok with an orchestra.

I agree. I've actually never been too fond of the action tracks, but they certainly aren't anything particularly bad.
  6. New CD:

October 15, 2012 — GNP Crescendo Records continues its commitment to Star TrekTM fans with the first-ever release of Dennis McCarthy/’s complete score for Star Trek Generations (1994). This 2 CD collector/’s edition features the complete film score on disc one (including music for one scene deleted from the finished film), and a remastered version of the 1994 GNP soundtrack album (and its innovative sound effects library) on disc two.

Star Trek Generations was the first feature film starring the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a /“passing the baton/” story in which Star Trek: The Original Series character James T. Kirk (William Shatner) teams up with Star Trek: The Next Generation Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) via a mysterious space/time phenomenon called the Nexus to battle an obsessed alien scientist, Dr. Soran (Malcolm McDowell).

Generations/’ atypical (for Star Trek) mood of melancholy, contemplation and—ultimately—uplift was captured by the composer who has scored more hours of the modern-day Star Trek television series than any other, Dennis McCarthy. Relishing the opportunity to work with a large orchestra and a more cinematic vocabulary, McCarthy used a broader, more melodic palette befitting the big-screen presentation.

From its innovatively gentle main title music to its traditionally heroic themes, from its haunting choir-infused music for the Nexus to its strategically spotted quotes of Alexander Courage/’s Star Trek fanfare, McCarthy’s score both honors tradition and brings a fresh new voice to the Star Trek universe.

GNP Crescendo released the original soundtrack album to Star Trek Generations in 1994, featuring 45 minutes of score highlights. This expanded release includes not only the full score (nearly 76 minutes) and remastered album, but also 3 bonus tracks—including the motion picture dialogue “Lifeforms” performed and somewhat improvised by Brent Spiner (as Data).

The accompanying 16-page booklet includes informative notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall and is lavishly illustrated with film stills. A track-by-track commentary for both discs by John Takis is available online at gnpcrescendo.com/generations. STAR TREK GENERATIONS—2 CD Collector’s Edition (GNPD 8080) is a limited edition of 10,000 units, and is available solely as a physical CD from GNP Crescendo Records, www.gnpcrescendo.com.

Star Trek: Generations 2CD Expanded Collector's Edition

Disc One
    1. Main Title 2:54
    2. Past Glory 1:19
    3. The Enterprise B 0:42
    4. Distress Call / Harriman and the Ribbon 4:27
    5. Kirk Saves the Day / Deck 15 / HMS Enterprise 4:50
    6. Picard's Message / Raid Post Mortem 4:43
    7. Data and the Emotions 0:54
    8. Time is Running Out 1:11
    9. Data Malfunctions 2:29
    10 Soran Kidnaps Geordi 2:44
    11. Guinan and the Nexus 2:47
    12. Torture 1:37 (deleted scene music)
    13. Soran's Plan Revealed 1:49
    14. Prisoner Exchange 2:59
    15. Outgunned 3:22
    16. The Gap / Coolant Leak / Appointment with Eternity / Out of Control / Blasted / The Crash 5:43
    17. Coming to Rest 1:00
    18. The Nexus 1:32
    19. A Chrismtas Hug / The Kitchen Debate 8:03
    20. Coming to Rest 1:38
    21. Two Captains / Crash Recap 2:04
    22. The Final Fight 6:15
    23. The Captain of the Enterprise (Kirk's Death) 2:45
    24. To Live Forever 2:40
    25. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
    Total Disc Time 75:39

Disc Two: Remastered Soundtrack Album
    1. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
    2. Main Title 2:54
    3. The Enterprise B / Kirk Saves the Day 3:13
    4. Deck 15 1:41
    5. Time is Running Out 1:11
    6. Prisoner Exchange 2:58
    7. Outgunned 3:22
    8. Out of Control / The Crash 2:05
    9. Coming to Rest 1:00
    10 The Nexus / A Christmas Hug 7:07
    11. Jumping the Ravine 1:38
    12. Two Captains 1:34
    13. The Final Fight 6:15
    14. Kirk's Death 2:45
    15. To Live Forever 2:40
    Star Trek: Generations Sound Effects
    16. Enterprise B Bridge 3:13
    17. Enterprise B Doors Open 0:13
    18. Distress Call Alert 0:10
    19. Enterprise B Helm Controls 0:16
    20. Nexus Energy Ribbon 1:38
    21. Enterprise B Deflector Beam 0:08
    22. Enterprise B Warp Pass-by 0:14
    23. Enterprise B Transporter 0:12
    24. Tricorder 0:30
    25. Hypo Injector 0:03
    26. Communicator Chirp 0:06
    27. Door Chime 0:07
    28. Enterprise D Warp Out #1 0:22
    29. Bird of Prey Bridge / Explosion 2:51
    30. Klingon Sensor Alert 0:08
    31. Bird of Prey Cloaks 0:04
    32. Bird of Prey De-cloaks );10
    33. Klingon Transporter 0:12
    34. Soran's Gun 0:11
    35. Soran's Rocket De-cloaks 0:05
    36. Shuttlecraft Pass-by 0:21
    37. Enterprise D Bridge / Crash Sequence 3:21
    38. Enterprise D Warp-Out #2 0:09
    Bonus Tracks
    39. Prisoner Exchange (film version) 2:59
    40. A Christmas Hug (choir only) 1:22
    41. Lifeforms (Vocal: Brent Spiner) 0:17
    Total Disc Time 66:11

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/produ … cts_id=228

Not on SAE yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    Is disc two really there for any reason other than to increase the purchase price? I'm all for bonus tracks but when the "bonus" adds 25% to the price then it doesn't really feel like much of a bonus at all. One would assume that anyone who wants this score will already have the original album and will never even put disc two in their CD player.
  7. Southall wrote
    Is disc two really there for any reason other than to increase the purchase price? I'm all for bonus tracks but when the "bonus" adds 25% to the price then it doesn't really feel like much of a bonus at all. One would assume that anyone who wants this score will already have the original album and will never even put disc two in their CD player.

Another example of "it's in the contract to do it"?

I very rarely listen to this anyway so it's easy to pass on this one. But then, if they sell lots maybe another label gets the green light to release it again with a bit more music? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sigh
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would be interested in doing a review of this one
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I saw where BSX is taking orders for end of the month shipping. The first 100 orders will be autographed by Dennis McCarthy.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  8. It's now up at SAE (for pre-order).

Okay, so another one down, just "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" left to go. I suspect the next Varese batch will cross another off the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I'd gladly spin disc two if it's completely remixed. The original album was severely lacking in the sound quality department!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's not a bad point. I had forgotten how badly it's mixed. Hope they fix that.
  9. As I mentioned in the Now Playing thread a few days ago, this must be one of my quietest scores I have. That problem definitely needs to be addressed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with the sound quality issue.

That being said, that score never really connected to me. Except for the theme and a few other places, it sounded mostly like a "TV score" to me; rather non-directional and perfunctory. A bit like some of McCarthy's MACGYVER scores (I far prefer Ken Harrison's work on that series).

I eventually sold the GNP release a awhile back, so this is obviously not for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    That being said, that score never really connected to me. Except for the theme and a few other places, it sounded mostly like a "TV score" to me...

That probably best expressed my thoughts on this score as well.