• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Excerpts from an interview with McCarthy, conducted by none other than William Shatner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc3z2M2-fCY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016 edited
    Wish it were longer. Shatner seems like a very self-absorbed fellow; leaves little room for McCarthy to expand his views (you can insert a joke about my preference for abbreviated albums now).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    What's everyone's take on McCarthy's decision to score a pro-Trump movie a couple of years ago (DEATH OF A NATION, 2018)? It soured my relationship to the composer considerably, but I still aim to keep my soundtrack of STAR TREK: GENERATIONS, and pining for a MACGYVER release.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It doesn't bother me at all. If his opinions were pro-Trump then that would be different.

I try to separate an artistic output from the subject matter of a project.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    True, but a sane person would have stayed away from the project, regardless if they're pro-Trump or not. One can only excuse a pay check for so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. There are an awful lot of composers who have score movies they felt were trash, but still did their best to give the films a good score. Goldsmith practically made a career of it. I guess it's a little different, though, when a film is trying to pass itself of as informative or factual when it is actually outright propaganda. I don't really hold it against him, though. In fact, even if he actually believed what the film said, I'm not sure I would hold it against him. I can listen to most people's music on its own without being soured by their beliefs or politics. Like Wagner. The dude had some messed up ideas, but I can enjoy his music despite that. Several of the classical/romantic masters were kind of nuts, but I love what they composed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021 edited
    Yeah, and I can appreciate art of Leni Riefenstahl too, even though it was nazi propaganda.

I think it's easier to overlook these kinds of things when the artist is long since dead, rather than fresh and new.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    True, but a sane person would have stayed away from the project, regardless if they're pro-Trump or not. One can only excuse a pay check for so much.

I don't agree that 'any sane person would...stay away'. It must be good to be in a position to pick and choose projects. Writing music for a project such as this might be removed enough from the subject for it not to matter.

I have no idea of McCarthy's politics.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I’m on the fence about this, but I think ultimately I wouldn’t mind it. I don’t really know this composer and haven’t heard works of his, so it doesn’t affect me, but if one of my loved composers would score such a project, I don’t think it would really affect my enjoyment of the music. Also because music itself is apolitical, and his reasoning for scoring it may have to be completely unrelated to his political views (we all know getting jobs in the film music world can be brutal, also thinking about Joe Kraemer’s tweets on the subject).

On the other hand, I was looking forward a while back to reading The Terror and Drood from author Dan Simmons and after hearing he was a complete nut job when it comes to Trump and stuff, I just deleted his novels from my reading list. I guess I mean it differs from profession to profession. Music is, like I said, apolitical and is easier to seperate from ones views than, say, authors of books. Just like I’ll never again watch a standup special from Louis CK, since that also touches his views and personal beliefs.

EDIT: I just IMDb’d the project and recognized it as that one project that was produced by Gerald R. Molen, which I remembered I was pretty disappointed about as that’s a producer I know from my childhood favorites and as a child it was one of those names you start to recognize. Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I guess I'm a little more "aggressive" in my anti-right wing attitude than some of you. I also block people from my social media if I notice they flirt with right-wing sentiments (like trailer music composer John Beal). Yes, I thereby create a socalled "echo chamber", but that's fine with me. It's MY echo chamber. I don't want to have anything to do with people who associate themselves with extreme right-wing attitudes. But again, I can appreciate the work of people like Wagner or Riefenstahl because of the time gap. Go figure.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Would you stop listening to McCarthy's STAR TREK word as a result of his connection to a pro-Trump work?

(I am not sure you would listen to much of his STAR TREK music but I use it as a hypothetical example.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Would you stop listening to McCarthy's STAR TREK word as a result of his connection to a pro-Trump work?

(I am not sure you would listen to much of his STAR TREK music but I use it as a hypothetical example.)

No, I've decided that I want to keep enjoying GENERATIONS, at least. I've liked the score since I got the CD in the early 2000s. It's just a mental exercise to disassociate myself from the composer. And I've desired a MACGYVER score release for decades (mostly Harrison's stuff, though, less so McCarthy's). But I'm not going to go actively out and seek out more of him. Even if he just did it "for the money" and does not share the film's views.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, and I can appreciate art of Leni Riefenstahl too, even though it was nazi propaganda.

I think it's easier to overlook these kinds of things when the artist is long since dead, rather than fresh and new.

That makes sense. (And I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic - It's got to be easier to overlook people's faults when those faults are far removed from current events)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2021 edited
    So what do you think of Tom Cruise then?

His association to Scientology makes me just not like the guy, no matter how affable he seems to be in talkshows. There are some films of his I like (mainly because of its directors, like Eyes Wide Shut and Minority Report), but I don’t seek out newer releases of his. It’s a principle thing, Scientology ruins lives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021
    Cruise is another good case, sure. Ultimately, I think right-wing Trumpism is worse than Scientology, although it's basically pest and colera. For some reason, I've managed to disassociate Cruise's off-screen shenanigans with the films he's in, often because the films are of a high quality (he tends to pick great projects 9 times out of 10).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021 edited
    Hmm, Trumpism is indeed probably a bigger ‘threat’ because it’s a lot more widespread and has more power - it literally concerns the whole country, and in certain ways the planet, whereas Scientology only concerns those who sign up for it (even thought they are recruited in horrible ways). But I think in principle, at its core, I think the way Scientology works is more evil. I’ve seen parts of Leah Remini’s documentary and that organization really destroys lives. On the other hand, so does Trump’s policy…

Nonetheless, it sounds like you’re boycotting McCarthy’s work more easily because his works are due to its quality easier to ignore, but with Tom Cruise it’s more difficult just because you actually want to see those films? wink. If he’d made crappy films, would you then stop seeing his films, you think?

Or is it because actors are, in effect, a puppet of its director, and his personal beliefs won’t be part of the film? (Unless said film is, of course, Battlefield Earth). And a Scientology director would be a different case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021
    It is very complex, but I think you might be on to something. Scientology is basically just a cult of lunatics, while Trumpism and other forms of right-wing tendencies are so rampant across the world, it annoys me to high heaven.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Say what you want about Scientology and Cruise, but his work ethos is brutal, which in turn leads to astounding results. Giving 150% in everything he does, stunts included, he kinda rightfully expects others to give at least their 100%. And by now everyone filming with him should know that beforehand. I'm sure he's an intensely demanding guy, but I believe he has the potential to make yourself do great things when you work with him. It's probably not totally unlike working for James Cameron. But I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't last five minutes with either of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021 edited
    Sure, and I know about the injuries he sustained on set for Mission: Impossible, not to speak of the insane stunts he does. But I boycot someone on principle of his or her behavior and beliefs if that causes harm to a large group of people, and the quality of their work is not a factor in that. I think it would be a bit hypocritical if I’d still watch someone’s films despite other people suffering, just because I get enjoyment out of them. Scientology is a plague and it’s been kept up due to not enough people speaking out on it, and keeping people like Tom Cruise on powerful places by making his films so successful. It’s weird how #MeToo actors are being boycotted, but Tom faces no consequences just because Scientology is a “religion”.
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Say what you want about Scientology and Cruise, but his work ethos is brutal, which in turn leads to astounding results. Giving 150% in everything he does, stunts included, he kinda rightfully expects others to give at least their 100%. And by now everyone filming with him should know that beforehand. I'm sure he's an intensely demanding guy, but I believe he has the potential to make yourself do great things when you work with him. It's probably not totally unlike working for James Cameron. But I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't last five minutes with either of them.

Isn't that essentially what makes someone a legend, or a master?
    It's the same as being the best in sports. If you don't give all you got, you can never be the best. If you don't demand perfection, you'll never get it, or keep hanging on to it.

They may be people you can't stand, or who will intimidate you. But you can't deny what they deliver often is of stellar quality. If you get perfection for being an asshole, so be it. The results are what they are, Cameron having delivered some of the most financial hit films in history (but a stylist in every way, I personally call him the Michael Bay stylist, but then with depth), Cruise delivering pretty much quality in most things he does.

If an athlete doesn't put his life aside to achieve their goals, you can't stay at the top.
    I have respect for anyone of those people, the energy it must consume to do this every day must be downright exhausting. But they achieve greatness, by having talent but above all persistance to keep at it every single day.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021 edited
    BobdH wrote
    But I boycot someone on principle of his or her behavior and beliefs if that causes harm to a large group of people, and the quality of their work is not a factor in that. I think it would be a bit hypocritical if I’d still watch someone’s films despite other people suffering, just because I get enjoyment out of them.
    Absolutely fair and valid. It's just that by boycotting him, you also boycott the work of a thousand and more filmmaking people who came together to create something amazing. You pay them as well with your ticket. And I try to focus on that while I enjoy watching Cruise hurting himself. biggrin

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I have respect for anyone of those people, the energy it must consume to do this every day must be downright exhausting. But they achieve greatness, by having talent but above all persistance to keep at it every single day.
    This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2021 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Absolutely fair and valid. It's just that by boycotting him, you also boycott the work of a thousand and more filmmaking people who came together to create something amazing. You pay them as well with your ticket. And I try to focus on that while I enjoy watching Cruise hurting himself. biggrin

Sure, but as we have seen with the MeToo movement, if the audience at large decides to boycot a certain actor, it does not mean less films get made. The crew of these films have already been payed, and if the film underperforms there will be no studio boss saying that it’s the grip’s fault, or because the cinematographer is out of vogue with the public. They will most likely get another job in the industry. But studio CEO’s might look at Cruise’s popularity if one of his films flop, and might pay him less for the next film. But as long as people keep turning out in droves over the latest Mission: Impossible film, he will keep getting payed this much.
  8. Well, people go because they expect a high quality movie based on Cruise' involvement, so that won't change.

We won't change a thing about Scientology by boycotting Cruise. They need to be fought on a completely different level - which is also not going to happen. The US have got a few other problems.

I mean, I completely support your point of view and intention. I just think it doesn't change much whether you (and everyone who hates Scientology) go see a Cruise movie or not. The masses don't care. Which is true for many sad things.