• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Due to popular demand, we're exploring the inclusion of videos on ScoringSessions.com

To kick off the video on the site, we're presenting an exclusive peek at the AFRIKA scoring sessions that took place a few months ago, where composer Wataru Hokoyama recorded with a 104-piece orchestra at the Sony Scoring Stage.

The video was produced by Sony Japan, has no narration, and only Japanese subtitles. But it's a great way to hear the orchestral main title that Wataru composed, as well as see the orchestra play it in glorious HD.

Hope you find it enjoyable, and look forward to future videos that we're working on!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/video/1/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    AWESOME!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Very cool! Looking forward to more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    dgoldwas wrote
    Due to popular demand, we're exploring the inclusion of videos on ScoringSessions.com

To kick off the video on the site, we're presenting an exclusive peek at the AFRIKA scoring sessions that took place a few months ago, where composer Wataru Hokoyama recorded with a 104-piece orchestra at the Sony Scoring Stage.

The video was produced by Sony Japan, has no narration, and only Japanese subtitles. But it's a great way to hear the orchestral main title that Wataru composed, as well as see the orchestra play it in glorious HD.

Hope you find it enjoyable, and look forward to future videos that we're working on!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/video/1/

Enjoy!

Sweetness! cheesy Are you also going to do these videos for film scoring, or just video game scoring? Either way, great video. Thanks a lot for posting this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    That was brilliant! Great music by the way, I love that theme! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Sweetness! cheesy Are you also going to do these videos for film scoring, or just video game scoring? Either way, great video. Thanks a lot for posting this!

I'd like to do them for as many scoring sessions as I'm able to do so.

I have two that I filmed recently (one with a crappy digital camera, and the other in 16x9 miniDV), but I need to show them to the studios first, as "proof-of-concepts", then hopefully I can post them for you all!

Meanwhile, I have some older video stuff I'm hoping to re-purpose a bit and post, including my never-published video tour of Harry Gregson-Williams' studio as he was prepping for the first NARNIA film; the KARATEGUARD scoring session with Michael Giacchino; some John Ottman session videos, and more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Great video, Dan! And the music is awesome! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Very cool, Dan, but I take it that you didn't film this yourself? Seemed like a multiple-camera production.

More of this, please!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Very cool, Dan, but I take it that you didn't film this yourself? Seemed like a multiple-camera production.

Not necessarily. You don't need an army of cameras to shoot a recording session.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Not necessarily. You don't need an army of cameras to shoot a recording session.

-Erik-

Maybe a bit of creative editing gives the impression of various cameras filming the same sequence of music. But it may in fact be a single camera shooting a whole piece with the editing together of a sequence being an amalgam of different takes of the same piece of music shot from different angles and spliced together. Or repeated segments of the same cue shot from different positions and edited together to the same sequence. Or even a close shot of (e.g.) strings that doesn't exactly correspond to the corrent musical position but is good enough for the edited sequence?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Maybe a bit of creative editing gives the impression of various cameras filming the same sequence of music. But it may in fact be a single camera shooting a whole piece with the editing together of a sequence being an amalgam of different takes of the same piece of music shot from different angles and spliced together. Or repeated segments of the same cue shot from different positions and edited together to the same sequence. Or even a close shot of (e.g.) strings that doesn't exactly correspond to the corrent musical position but is good enough for the edited sequence?

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    I've now said it multiple times, so I'll say it again so it's clear: I DID NOT SHOOT OR EDIT OR PRODUCE THIS VIDEO. It was given to me by the wonderful people at Sony Japan, who DID have a team of cameramen at the session, and I put it up on the site with their blessing.

As for the multiple-camera thing, yes, you can get away with shooting multiple takes at multiple angles, and it will give the impression of a large crew. I've done this for a few videos in the past, and hope to be able to share them with you on the site at some point.
  2. dgoldwas wrote
    I've now said it multiple times, so I'll say it again so it's clear: I DID NOT SHOOT OR EDIT OR PRODUCE THIS VIDEO. It was given to me by the wonderful people at Sony Japan, who DID have a team of cameramen at the session, and I put it up on the site with their blessing.

And thanks for having somewhere to exhibit this gift.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    dgoldwas wrote
    I've now said it multiple times, so I'll say it again so it's clear: I DID NOT SHOOT OR EDIT OR PRODUCE THIS VIDEO.

Not?
    I think you did a really good job on the subtitles.

wink

Great to see how the magic begins!

It wasn't always like that with me. I remember feeling a bit disillusionated when I first saw a 'making of the score'. Of course I knew it was an orchestra playing but I never had those visuals when I was listening to the music! Anyway, I had to get used to it a bit and especially after attending an orchestral concert for the first time I can really get goosebumps when I see all those musicians working together creating the magic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    dgoldwas wrote

To be fair, I've never heard you say this "multiple times" and your first post only said that Sony "produced" the film, not who shot it. But thanks for being clear about it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

To be fair, I've never heard you say this "multiple times" and your first post only said that Sony "produced" the film, not who shot it. But thanks for being clear about it. smile

Gotcha there, Dan. wink

-Erik-