• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

You had to think about it, huh? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    God is man made as is a shit load of other stuff!

The SUN comes up every day and though I don't worship it I do think 'it hasn't exploded yet thank fuck'! Tan I up landlord. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

Curiously, I've always pictured you as a Cthulhu worshipper.

Peter cool
  1. TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

Do I detect some.....hesitation?

biggrin

LOL. No, just I thought I'd got a bit of a reputation around here for being a stubborn Christian. And with references to God, Scripture, faith and hope in my previous post, I would have thought the hint was pretty strong. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

Do I detect some.....hesitation?

biggrin

LOL. No, just I thought I'd got a bit of a reputation around here for being a stubborn Christian. And with references to God, Scripture, faith and hope in my previous post, I would have thought the hint was pretty strong. wink

Cool, I'm also a Christian. biggrin wink
  2. But are you a stubborn Christian? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    An Atheist Meets God

biggrin

It won't let me see it? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    But are you a stubborn Christian? wink

Possibly... unless that title is reserved solely for you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    An Atheist Meets God

biggrin

My bad! shame I editedededed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    An Atheist Meets God

biggrin

My bad! shame I editedededed it.

That's better smile

Saw this cartoon once...

"God is dead" signed Nietzsche

a thunderbolt zaps from the clouds obliterating Nietzsche explode

"Nietzsche is dead" signed God
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    Clearly God believes in cheaper fuel prices. I think I might give it a try next time I need to use the car!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oooh. Brilliant!

Can this group also pray for less stupidity in the world?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Oooh. Brilliant!

Can this group also pray for less stupidity in the world?

biggrin !

The ultimate irony that would indeed be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    Moved to here from the other topic

Steven wrote:
    I would add that scientific knowledge as it is today is limiting, not science itself.

Bregje wrote:
    People who think they know what life is, and death, are not the smartest people.

Couldn't agree more. Which is why true scientists don't pretend to know what life or death is. They just observe the workings and form deductions thereon.

Bregje wrote
    Life isn't logical at all you know, it makes absolutely no sense.

Again, you're absolutely right (if we're simply talking about the existence of life, not the system of life). But then that's not what I'd ever argue against - although we've learned much about the workings of nature, and much more sense is made today than has ever been achieved, so we are on the right path at least.

Science does at least try to make sense of life to the best of human ability. Science uncovers more questions with almost each new discovery, and that is an exceptional thing. I've said this time and time again (though probably worded differently each time): Science asks the appropriate questions based on the appropriate observations; religions gives inappropriate answers on inappropriate observations.

I love how some counter-arguments just emphasise the other person's point even further.

Do I understand correctly that you think that
    1) one day science will have revealed all answers?
    2) scientific knowledge is the only true answer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If at one day science has all the answers, humankind will cease to exist.
    After all, what else does science do but strive for answers? Propel the human spirit to reach beyond itself? To inquire, investigate, strive, search and develop?
    At the end of the road, I would think, there will be more questions, on levels of physics and metaphysics we can't even begin to dream of now!
    If not, we are doomed to an existence of mere...existing. A fate horrible to contemplate.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    Science isn't simply a made up thing like Religion Bregje, that's a very important facet of "science" you first have to understand. Science is simply the name we humans have given to the study and understanding of nature and the nature of the cosmos.

To answer your questions:

No idea, and I neither believe or disbelieve it will. I just hope human understanding of science continues to grow, as well as philosophies (which is a scientific way of thinking. The term 'science' is a broad term).

You may be getting the wrong end of the stick here. Not once have I said that science will reveal one true answer to all things, but this is certainly the aim of science. We are unimaginably far from such an answer and may perhaps be unanswerable. Who knows?

I understand you're a spiritual person, and I respect that. I definitely think there's something to be said about the 'spiritual' nature of the universe (or at least the spiritual nature of humans and animals), but then that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be of supernatural qualities. I've said it before and I'll say it again; nature is super enough as it is. More so than we can possibly imagine.
  3. I tend to agree with Martijn's points.

Regarding the second question, I don't think so. Formal logic is formal logic and Middle Ages showed that you can apply formal logic as seen by Aristotle to theological reflection, not that it made sense often (scholatics, as the Polish saying goes, ate its own tail, when it started to consider problems that have absolutely NO significance, like whether Christ would be the Savior if he was born a donkey). It's all in the ASSUMPTIONS we take.

The thing is that religion, for the sake of its own authority, MUST take the role of being the Ultimate Truth. With all due respect (I am religious myself, mind you), religion quite often can work as "philosophy for dummies", answering all the basic questions in very authoritary forms.

Luckily, though it took ALL the churches literally ages to accept it, there is more and more acceptance for scientific discoveries, unless, of course, it is in tune with the value system of a religion (Catholic church for example recognized evolution after a LONG while). I can give an example of a priest, who is also a physicist and, interestingly, precisely a cosmologist. He recently got a theological award for his discoveries and I know that he had a lecture about relations between science and religion. So it doesn't really reject anything. Heller proves that nothing has to contradict itself. He takes the assumption that God created the Universe, but that doesn't prevent him from contemplating Big Bang theory.

Physicists also try to look for a Theory of Everything. I might be wrong, but I think Stephen Hawking is looking for something like that. Goedel's theorem of "incompleteness", which generally says (I haven't read more into it yet) that any attempt at creating a TOE is bound to fail was recently under heavy criticism.

Yes, we have to differ science and faith. What is probably unacceptable to some atheists, is that faith is in its very definition kind of DEFYING the discovery of science, ie. you take unproven facts (though not disproven, mind you, nobody disproved God's existence yet) as GRANTED. Have you read the Kierkegaard I told you about, Steven?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Steven, don't forget that theology is *also* seen as a science. It is at least respected enough that you can get a degree in it and all self-respecting universities allow to study it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven, don't forget that theology is *also* seen as a science. It is at least respected enough that you can get a degree in it and all self-respecting universities allow to study it.

But it isn't thanks to theology that you were able to type those words and post them on the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    biggrin But it is theology that not only deals with God but also with what it means to be human. Anyway, the most surprising day for Steven will be when science will prove the existence of God biggrin
    I think it is not a coincidence that many scientists (maybe most of them) are/were religious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    OOps, sorry for the first smiley...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    biggrin But it is theology that not only deals with God but also with what it means to be human. Anyway, the most surprising day for Steven will be when science will prove the existence of God biggrin

People have an amazing ability to not listen to what I say on this forum. First, understand that there are many different versions of 'God' that people believe in, and the one that many of these so-called religious scientists believe in is an infinitely more grown-up one than that of petty religions. It is the Man With The White Beard theory that I disregard (and although the image taught today vastly differs to a white bearded man, it's still just as absurd and unlikely).

It's all a matter of how you define God. If you were to define him as a form of energy then you would likely find God everywhere. The LCH was built to find the Higgs boson, the 'God Particle'. And I'm all for it! But I'm not too sure on naming anything 'God' just yet.

I think it is not a coincidence that many scientists (maybe most of them) are/were religious.

I think you'll find that the shear majority of scientists today are in fact atheists/agnostics. Past scientists either did not have all the appropriate information and observations or were simply too scared at admitting their atheism. So the very point you've made works against you there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you read the Kierkegaard I told you about, Steven?

No, been far too busy reading about geology in all honesty.
  5. Theory of Gravity was invented by accident when Newton was looking for a mathematical formula, which would define God, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Depending on how you define God, then there are probably many versions of "God" that I would happily accept. But then why name it God in the first place? The term 'God' has such an archaic presumption behind it that, still, thousands of years later is hard to shake off. I'd be fine with using the word if it did not carry the slightest image of an old man in the sky (or whatever modern day version we have today).

Certainly not you Pawel, I have a huge respect for the things you say, but there are so many people who get the wrong end of the stick with my arguments. They see me as a fundamental, atheist apologist who's just as single-minded as the very people and philosophies I argue against. If one were to read everything I've said in this topic, they'd soon find that is not the case. I guess I'm just getting tired of repeating myself just to explain where I stand. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I find this science-religion opposition quite hard to understand. Anyway, I don't think you can convince an atheist about the existence of God unless she/he hasn't got something of a "God-experience". And that is unexplainable. I, myself, am a practicing Christian because of that certain "call" many years ago. That is why I am cannot be convinced about the non-existence of God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Science isn't simply a made up thing like Religion Bregje, that's a very important facet of "science" you first have to understand.

It's exactly this what I have problems with: people who say they know what's true and the others just don't understand. Have you considered the possibility that I don't agree with what you just said? Let the true / false thing go. I don't agree that science is not made-up in a way, it's created by humans, by our understanding and imagination and things like that. It's not like the rules of science just one day fell out of the sky!

To answer your questions:

No idea, and I neither believe or disbelieve it will. I just hope human understanding of science continues to grow, as well as philosophies (which is a scientific way of thinking. The term 'science' is a broad term).

I should have quoted your first post more carefully perhaps. I asked this question because you wrote: "I would add that scientific knowledge as it is today is limiting, not science itself." It was the word today that made me wonder if you think science will be revealing more (or everything?) in the future.

You may be getting the wrong end of the stick here. Not once have I said that science will reveal one true answer to all things, but this is certainly the aim of science. We are unimaginably far from such an answer and may perhaps be unanswerable. Who knows?

This question was about truth really and I'm not sure you get what I'm trying to say. Science is just one way to look at things and at one point it can't go further because it's a human thing. Science can explain many things, how certain things work, but it does not answer the questions about life. Also, we all know how scientific proof and statistics can tell truths that are way from the truth in fact because many things are not studied.

I understand you're a spiritual person, and I respect that. I definitely think there's something to be said about the 'spiritual' nature of the universe (or at least the spiritual nature of humans and animals), but then that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be of supernatural qualities. I've said it before and I'll say it again; nature is super enough as it is. More so than we can possibly imagine.

I don't remember saying I'm a spiritual person... I am only saying I will never claim to know the truth and basically I'm saying I know nothing. Of course I have values and everything that guide me in my life (would be rather meaningless without that) but I will never say that what I believe is the right thing to believe and others are wrong. Unfortunately that's what happens a lot, with any view on life.

Anyway, it may seem like I'm spititual and have no faith in science or something, but that was not the point I was trying to make. All I want to say is I keep my mind open for all possibilities and I wish people would be more careful when they speak about the truth and everything. OK, saying 'the truth and everything' is stupid because if there's a truth that will be everything of course.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    keky wrote
    But it is theology that not only deals with God but also with what it means to be human.

Yes, what it means to be human, in relation to God. Otherwise it's called Humanistics. smile