• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Theory of Gravity was invented by accident when Newton was looking for a mathematical formula, which would define God, too.

I find it is quite offensive to call Newton's extraordinary discoveries an accident. He was perhaps the greatest scientist who ever lived and he worked extremely hard to achieve what he did. Yes, he saw the hand of God in the universe, but it was because of his genius, persistence and fascination with nature that he achieved what he did, not some random accident or miracle.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I definitely think there's something to be said about the 'spiritual' nature of the universe (or at least the spiritual nature of humans and animals), but then that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be of supernatural qualities. I've said it before and I'll say it again; nature is super enough as it is. More so than we can possibly imagine.

I would go as far as to argue that "supernatural" as a concept is flawed.
    NOTHING is SUPERnatural. There are only ASPECTS of nature we don't full understand YET.
    What we define as supernatural today is commonplace tomorrow.

There seems to be a generally pervading concern that somehow (cold logical) science will supplant (warm loving) spirituality. This to me always seems a bit like a kneejerk reaction: especially among the more sensitive, creative part of the people I know there is a great reluctance to the idea that some things may be defined ("caught") by scientific research. I have a composer/text writer friend who is absolutely panicked by the thought that one day creativity may come out of a pill (a rather charged idea, but I do get his meaning: it's not completely unthinkable that some day certain parts of the brain may be stimulated artificially to enhance (or treat) facets of our personality...in fact, on a very small scale, that is already happeninga s we're mapping the brain and its functions. Though any such "pill" is absolute science fiction at this point, of course).

The overbearing fear seems to be that this implies we "lose" something of that what makes us unique. For the life of me, I cannot understand this reasoning as -aside from the many, many variables hat make up the human character- it completely negate the concept of free will.

To my mind there is no dichotomy between science on the one hand and supernaturalism, spirituality, human personality and all things undefined on the other. They enhance and complete each other, and always will! What drives science is the spark of will, determination and inspiration. Science, at its turn, (also) tries to understand these sparks.

The one key thing in both spirituality (in which I would include religion) and science is that we try and better ourselves. This implies a continued quest for improvement on every level.
    And that's the danger of any "one" answer: it STOPS progress.
    And me, I'm not prepared to accept that from any source, whether it's a guy with a big white beard thundering from a mountain, an all-powerful all-seeing galactic Force, OR a bloke in a laboratory who hasn't had a date for 64 years.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Theory of Gravity was invented by accident when Newton was looking for a mathematical formula, which would define God, too.

I find it is quite offensive to call Newton's extraordinary discoveries an accident. He was perhaps the greatest scientist who ever lived and he worked extremely hard to achieve what he did.

Newton's true genius to my mind was that he took all the empirical work of centuries before and finally started to draw conclusions. he was able to discern connections unthought of before his day. Yes, to put that aside as "accidental" is to negate the man's staggering intellect: while some aspects may have been byproducts of a main investigation, his definition of gravity is based on deduction and the eralier works of eastern philosophers and the likes of Galilei. No accident there AT ALL!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I find it is quite offensive to call Newton's extraordinary discoveries an accident. He was perhaps the greatest scientist who ever lived and he worked extremely hard to achieve what he did.

Newton's true genius to my mind was that he took all the empirical work of centuries before and finally started to draw conclusions. he was able to discern connections unthought of before his day. Yes, to put that aside as "accidental" is to negate the man's staggering intellect: while some aspects may have been byproducts of a main investigation, his definition of gravity is based on deduction and the eralier works of eastern philosophers and the likes of Galilei. No accident there AT ALL!

Indeed. His famous gravitational laws are basically reworkings/corrections of Descartes laws of nature for instance. There have been so many great minds before him, and he formulated all these thoughts and discoveries into three beautiful laws and some simple but extremely illuminating mathematical equations.

I think many people just hear the apple story and picture themselves some lazy guy lying under a tree daydreaming 24/7, and then by accident/miracle an apple falls and he jumps up and yells "Hallelujah". It's a shame that many people don't realize the effort and dedication that really takes place hiding behind these embellished and rather silly stories that often arise after scientific discoveries.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Steven wrote
    Science isn't simply a made up thing like Religion Bregje, that's a very important facet of "science" you first have to understand.

It's exactly this what I have problems with: people who say they know what's true and the others just don't understand. Have you considered the possibility that I don't agree with what you just said? Let the true / false thing go. I don't agree that science is not made-up in a way, it's created by humans, by our understanding and imagination and things like that. It's not like the rules of science just one day fell out of the sky!

Sure, but religion and science aren't equatable on the same terms.
    Sure, both are human based, but how does that matter? Isn't everything we do human based?
    You can't accurately replicate experiments in religion. Religion is based on dogmas that cannot change even when faced with evidence to the contrary. This is of course in wry contrast to science.
    Our concepts of Gods and supernatural beings was created to answer complex issues with a simple solution that would need no further bearing.
    "Why do we become ill?"
    "It's the will of God/the devil's work/a witch's curse"
    It stems the investigatory nature, halts any progress, insight or understanding (as I argued before).

In that sense, I far more would rely on science for answers than religion.
    And in that sense, I have no qualms whatsoever in saying religion provides many false answers (and, to its detriment, sticks to those).
    But truth and falsehood really aren't the domain of science.
    We're talking philosophy now.

Science is just one way to look at things and at one point it can't go further because it's a human thing.

And you say that as if science is some static entity!
    "You cannot go further because the world is flat and you wil fall off".
    This is EXACTLY the point I'm making: science IS a human thing, and as we are human and strive and search and investigate, science evolves along with us. Science CAN and WILL go further, exactly BECAUSE it's a human thing. That we cannot explain something now, by no means implies that we won't be able to later!

Science can explain many things, how certain things work, but it does not answer the questions about life.

Depends on the question. Depends on the time.
    Again: any question unanswered now doesn't mean it will be unanswerable forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    keky wrote
    I find this science-religion opposition quite hard to understand.

I quite agree.
    It's like they would be enemies, and of course they don't have to be at all.

To try and put things as abstractly as I can to try and endorse consensus:
    I would oppose any school of thought that inhibits man's natural prediliction towards development and betterment of himself, including a greater understanding of the world around him, and within him.

Anyone who follows that predilection freely I respect and applaud, and I don't give a rat's ass whether he believes in God, Shiva, Odin or Elvis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Science is just one way to look at things and at one point it can't go further because it's a human thing.

No no, I mean at one point, the point where we reach human limits. I'm not saying that point never changes. So here we are saying the same thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote

No no, I mean at one point, the point where we reach human limits. I'm not saying that point never changes. So here we are saying the same thing.

Oh, OK! Yeah, in that case we are saying the same thing, more or less. smile
    (except that I honestly don't believe we will ever reach our limits in any way (except maybe at the end of the Universe wink ). Whether or not what that will entail for what we define as "humanity" of course remains to be seen, and assuredly food for scholars in a couple of million years or so.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven, i can speak for Orthodox christians and from my little experience in the ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI - SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY where i attended and passed several lessons during the last 6 years, that you'll be greatly surprised if you read some of our academic theology literature, how far the image of God is situated in these studies, from the "white bearded old and wise man" image you have in mind; that image - more and more nowadays, tends to exist only in the minds of the grannies that populate our churches each Sunday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    No no, I mean the limit of science that is humanity. Because science is human. That limit.
    I'm not sure if I'm clear!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    No no, I mean the limit of science that is humanity. Because science is human. That limit.

Um... dizzy

No, sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Have faith in science. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Have faith in science. biggrin

That was funny biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Are you talking about the limits of science due to logic?
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I find it is quite offensive to call Newton's extraordinary discoveries an accident. He was perhaps the greatest scientist who ever lived and he worked extremely hard to achieve what he did. Yes, he saw the hand of God in the universe, but it was because of his genius, persistence and fascination with nature that he achieved what he did, not some random accident or miracle.

Peter smile

I mean the legend about the apple falling from the tree. He was contemplating that formula idea then. Maybe *accidental* invention is a bad word, maybe I should say "byproduct", indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Steven wrote
    Depending on how you define God, then there are probably many versions of "God" that I would happily accept. But then why name it God in the first place? The term 'God' has such an archaic presumption behind it that, still, thousands of years later is hard to shake off. I'd be fine with using the word if it did not carry the slightest image of an old man in the sky (or whatever modern day version we have today).

Certainly not you Pawel, I have a huge respect for the things you say, but there are so many people who get the wrong end of the stick with my arguments. They see me as a fundamental, atheist apologist who's just as single-minded as the very people and philosophies I argue against. If one were to read everything I've said in this topic, they'd soon find that is not the case. I guess I'm just getting tired of repeating myself just to explain where I stand. sad

You know, I don't know about theology today, though I am reading through some MODERN Encyclopediae of religion due to my future Ph. D., but I think we are indeed, as Demetris said, going far from the old man in the sky idea. We must remember one little things.

Your remark in another thread about Christianity ripping off other, earlier beliefs is really spot-on. Of course, the primary setting is taken from Judaism, in a quite verbatim way, remember that Christian religion DOES take Old Testament into account, even if through the filter of New Testament (mostly Christ's interpretation of certain prophecies, the Mountain Sermon, or however is it called in English and St. Paul's Letters, also Apocalypse reworks some OT ideas).

But then come other influences. The Greek and Roman idea of religion was anthropomorphic. I am not denying nobody's knowledge and intelligence here, but let me explain this term - of human shape. Everybody definitely saw at least photos of ancient Greek/Roman sculptures and that the gods are depicted as humans of perfect proportions (not because they were gods though, I think, it had more to do with general aesthetics of the times than any specific vision of the gods).

The early Christian iconography was based on that idea, which was very connected to the due times. We must not forget that religion is really a cultural thing. This is where there are many concepts of god(s), this is why there is a large difference between the way a god is defined and even in the proposed (yes, religion is a choice, so I see it as a proposition, even if, indeed, if you decide to follow the religion, you also follow this) value system. Science is based on definitely different set of rules and the language of mathematics is very universal. But to me, of course (also as a Ph. D. since this october), humanistics is also a science.

Bregje wrote
    keky wrote
    But it is theology that not only deals with God but also with what it means to be human.

Yes, what it means to be human, in relation to God. Otherwise it's called Humanistics. smile

Bregje, theology is of course a part of Humanistics smile
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven, don't forget that theology is *also* seen as a science. It is at least respected enough that you can get a degree in it and all self-respecting universities allow to study it.

I'd be interested to know who sees theology as a science? Isn't science the accumulation of knowledge through experimentation and observation, i.e., examining things are testable.

I'm not sure how you'd go about testing theological ideas.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Theology as a science is a little bit more like the 'science' of law/jurisprudence, where interpretation of documents, uncovering links, positing common systems, etc. are the primary intellectual challenges. The observables are the texts and social history, and a thesis derived from a text will usually be tested against both by a theologian. (Though I do agree, it's not experimental science in the classic sense. But then neither is economics, political science, or historical study, with some exceptions.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Theology as a science is a little bit more like the 'science' of law/jurisprudence, where interpretation of documents, uncovering links, positing common systems, etc. are the primary intellectual challenges. The observables are the texts and social history, and a thesis derived from a text will usually be tested against both by a theologian. (Though I do agree, it's not experimental science in the classic sense. But then neither is economics, political science, or historical study, with some exceptions.)

Yeah, we must not forget about the Modernist differentiation of nomothetic and idiographic sciences. I will expand on this when I find my notes which one means which, because frankly at this point I don't really remember and I don't want to make a stupid error.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Absolutely! By all means let's not!
    In fact, I would argue we need LOADS more modernists in our differentiated idiographies! Can't imagine ever having lived without 'em! Brilliant stuff! My nomothetics are positively rife with anticipation!

(wink I have NO idea what you just said, but I'm honestly curious as to your follow-up. smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited
    My head needs a rest after reading some of these posts. (MIND you! It's all very interesting, but I never talk on such level. I feel ... lost! I feel like ... a heretic biggrin )

explode => my head having a break
    Kazoo
  6. OK, got it now. This typology was created by Wilhelm Windelbrand, a Kantian philosopher. Modernist means "post-positivistic", which in culture history basically means the turn of XIX and XX centuries.

So, nomothetic science is natural science, because it deals with the tendency to generalize, as Kant said, which means deriving natural laws based on observation of objective phenomena, like the legendary apple of Newton - an apple fell and he saw it as a general rule of natural gravity, in big simplification, of course. Literally translating from Greek "the position of the law". Nomos means law, interestingly it affects the names of certain sciences, like ECONOMY (oikonomia - the law/administration (nomos) of the household (oikos)), also ASTRONOMY (astron - star)

Idiographic is in social science and generally humanistics, because it deals with our tendency to specify. As Wikipedia says: "It describes the effort to understand the meaning of contingent, accidental, and often subjective phenomena.". Literally translating from Greek - "self-describing".

Generally, idiographic sciences deal with subjective phenomena, because it deals with the creation of humans (see the origins of the word "culture"). You can't build general laws based on literature, because we all try to make what we can and our own understanding out of it. The same goes with theology (also, incidentally theos and logos - the theory of deity), where we deal with very subjective views.

Of course there is a trend of generalization, which I can tell based on my experience with literary history - the trend goes when we try to define certain historical periods, which is very clearly shown by the art historian Heinrich Woelfllin, who in his famous book tries to define certain elements of Renaissance and Baroque art, building even oppositions between both styles.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, we must not forget about the Modernist differentiation of nomothetic and idiographic sciences.

I know you meant it in all seriousness, and I've appreciated your follow-up post, but you have no idea how funny that sentence read when I first saw it! biggrin
  8. Why? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

Um... dizzy

No, sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at?

Are you talking about the limits of science due to logic?
    Thomas smile

What I mean is science is always limited because science is human and human understanding is limited. Science is understanding the world from the human point of view. One should not forget that's only one point of view of course!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Science is understanding the world from the human point of view.
    One should not forget that's only one point of view of course!

Once again I'm not sure what you mean... sad
    There's a human point of view... and another?

What I mean is science is always limited because science is human and human understanding is limited.

OK, I thought that was what you meant, but my view on that is that it's far less restrictive than you might infer: of course science is limited by human understanding, which is limited as well.
    But while I would agree that human understanding is, and will always be limited, it does grow and expand. And of course science grows and evolves accordingly.

So any one limit today is history tomorrow.
    smile
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Why? biggrin

Because I had no idea what you meant, and you said 'of course'! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Science is understanding the world from the human point of view.
    One should not forget that's only one point of view of course!

Once again I'm not sure what you mean... sad
    There's a human point of view... and another?

If I would know that, it wouldn't be beyond human understanding! dizzy
    You know, what we think is true is only based on our own senses. I'm not saying there is more, I am saying I cannot know if there is more and neither can anyone else.

Our understanding can expand, maybe we will develop other senses who knows, but still they will always be human and... only human.
  10. I just finished reading through this entire thread. Absolutely fascinating, and I loved reading about the different viewpoints on offer.

I agree 100% with Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    Bregje wrote

You know, what we think is true is only based on our own senses. I'm not saying there is more, I am saying I cannot know if there is more and neither can anyone else.

Oh, but we already KNOW there is more, wayyyyyyy beyond our senses! (silly examples: ultraviolet, sub-bass tones). We already require enhancements to detect those. Currently there is no reason at all to assume there may NOT be more.
    Why?
    Simply because we haven't explained EVERYTHING.
    Therefore there must be more.

Our understanding can expand, maybe we will develop other senses who knows, but still they will always be human and... only human.

But that's just a label.
    What we do, think and say today would be considered heresy not four hundred years ago.
    A thousand years back we wold have been considered demons.
    In a million years time, who's to say how humanity will have developed and changed? Of course we'll still be (well, refer to ourselves as) "only human" then...but to today's standards we may be as gods. Where our trains of thoughs part ways is that I do not see being human as inherently limited *).
    Humanity to me is potentially UNlimited.

*) That's what I *understood* your point to be. I may have misunderstood of course!