• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    Martijn wrote

Oh, but we already KNOW there is more, wayyyyyyy beyond our senses! (silly examples: ultraviolet, sub-bass tones). We already require enhancements to detect those. Currently there is no reason at all to assume there may NOT be more.
    Why?
    Simply because we haven't explained EVERYTHING.
    Therefore there must be more.

It's the eternal notion of man to think he knows and understands everything; more importantly, the illusion that he can control everything.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's the eternal notion of man to think he knows and understands everything

I think I just argued quite extensively against that very notion? confused

more importantly, the illusion that he can control everything.

Ahhh, now that's a different kettle of dolphins.
    Give it time, mate, give it time... wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Honestly, the prospect of humanity having unlimited possibilities is quite scary to me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why????
    <Honestly, completely and utterly
    confused>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    See the results around you;
  2. As Demetris said. Having unlimited possibilites means also an unlimited responsibility for the WHOLE universe and that's very scary, since look at the idiots who often rule the world. I guess the fear of this responsibility and the security that is connected to the feeling that some power above us is ruling the world is one of the reasons behind the creation of religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

You know, what we think is true is only based on our own senses. I'm not saying there is more, I am saying I cannot know if there is more and neither can anyone else.

Oh, but we already KNOW there is more, wayyyyyyy beyond our senses! (silly examples: ultraviolet, sub-bass tones). We already require enhancements to detect those. Currently there is no reason at all to assume there may NOT be more.
    Why?
    Simply because we haven't explained EVERYTHING.
    Therefore there must be more.

If we know there is more, that means we are able to know! I'm talking about things we cannot know ever, because we are human. I agree that humans develop but what I mean is, everything we understand now or will understand in the future will always be from our point of view. Whether it's through our senses, our inventions, our new possibilities, it remains human. Humans can never be all-knowing. An objective point of view does not exist. So the limit of understanding moves along with our development yes, but I believe there is a final limit which is the simple fact that we will always be human.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's the eternal notion of man to think he knows and understands everything;

Yes, this is what is a problem on many levels. We may be discussing now if we can know all, but on a different level this has a lot to do with what we think is normal and right. What we learn by culture is what we consider normal and other cultures are labelled as weird or wrong. On an even smaller scale the same happens in upbringing. For a long time we think the family we grow up in is normal and different families are weird.

Unfortunately too many people grow up still thinking they are normal and right and everyone else is weird and wrong...sad

Pawel wrote:
    Honestly, the prospect of humanity having unlimited possibilities is quite scary to me.

Hm, well, I understand what you mean, but I also try to see things in perspective. 100 years ago the possibilities of the internet would have scared many people to death as well (and it does so nowadays too to some people) just to name one thing.

The only difference with these days is that our technological development seems to increase exponentially so we should make sure our moral development can keep up!! In the older days when things were developping a bit slower we could adjust morally a bit easier perhaps...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree with your statement
    Humans can never be all-knowing

But I DISagree with how you approach that statement.

The more we learn, the more we know there is more to learn.
    It's like that old children's game: "what's the biggest number you know?"
    Whatever (fantastic) number you give, the other one is always able to top it by giving that number PLUS 1. Ad infinitum.
    This is why I don't believe in your "final limit".
    Whenever we will meet any limit, our natural tendency will be to ask "...but what's behind it?" THAT's what makes us human.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Yes, I understand, but that's not what I mean.
    I don't know how else to explain the kind of limit I'm talking about. Maybe with this question:
    Do you think there will be a time when we will be able to understand things from a non-human point of view?

I don't think so, our point of view will be limited. No matter what we will discover and understand in the future, we can never go beyond being human. Even if humanity evolves in ways we cannot think of now, it's still humanity! Being human itself is the limit I'm talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Bregje wrote
    Yes, I understand, but that's not what I mean.
    I don't know how else to explain the kind of limit I'm talking about. Maybe with this question:
    Do you think there will be a time when we will be able to understand things from a non-human point of view?

Yes, but it may involve us not "being human" in the sense of how we generally see/define it today. The actual definition of humanity changes over time!
    (Except in the most abstract way which would be something like "a living organism with self-awareness and cognitive capabilities"... which could well also apply to any extraterrestrial life, whatever form that would take!).
    For example, it is not at all unlikely that at some point in the future we will unlock and harness telepathy or super-empathy. Obviously that would greatly assist us in understanding things from a non-human point of view.

While I would agree it's theoretically possible (likely, even) that there will be entities out there we cannot understand due to a lack of commonality (what do you do when your definitions don't even match?), even that is simply a matter of time before we do communicate (and hence understand).

I don't think so, our point of view will be limited. No matter what we will discover and understand in the future, we can never go beyond being human. Even if humanity evolves in ways we cannot think of now, it's still humanity! Being human itself is the limit I'm talking about.

Fair enough.
    It's a point that's often raised in the "extended universe" of the Alien films: the Alien is suppsoed to be so foreign to us that we have absolutely no choice but to be its ultimate enemy.

At the end of the day I guess I'm mostly speculating absed on hope and trust in man's capability for good, drive for improvement and natural curiosity.
    I'm perfectly aware that that's just one point of view and an opposite case can easily be made from man's capacity for destruction, fear of the unknown and sense of natural dominance.
  3. Kieslowski once said that he follows a heavily unpopular religion - faith in people.

In general, I believe in people and have achieved pretty much due to that. I started to learn that people tend to give you what you expect from them.

But on the other hand, if we look at history and see people like *cough* Hitler, Stalin *cough*, Ted Bundy or others, we can ask question what would happen if we had limitless possibilites, that could be VERY painful.

The science also goes into making life easier for people. Great, but it's two-sided. With the help of machines and stuff, people become weaker and weaker. They think less. Let's look at IT.

At the earliest times, when computers literally took rooms of space, programming demanded knowledge of the computer's architecture and, also in most cases, the machine code. Today binary and hexadecimal numeral systems, which, of course, is still obligatory for people who want to use assembly language (the famed assembler) with its code based on both knowledge of the processors registers, interrupt requests and memory. (for example, I might be mistaken, but I want to show the general idea:

MOV ah, 4Ch
    INT 21h

That moves (puts?) the value 4Ch (h stands for hexadecimal) in the higher byte (ie. 8 bits) of the AX register and invokes interrupt 21h which was reserved for the MS-DOS system. If memory serves me well, this was the "exit to system" command - interrupts always performed commands given to that byte).

Other, MUCH simpler programming languages were created and even basic school education (at least that was the case in Poland) teaches the base of structural (e.g. based on functions and procedures - certain structures performing a bunch of necessary operations) programming, mostly for algorithmic thinking purpose. If you have, e.g., Visual Basic, you can create a decent Windows application in literally minutes.

Another thing is the evolution of operating systems. At first they demanded, again, the knowledge of disk structure and basic written commands. Today you do THE SAME stuff with a mere click or double-click dependant on system. Hell, even UNIX (mostly known in the form of open-source Linux) , which was the most difficult (admittedly) system to learn due to some of the commands not really based on basic English word (rm as DELETE, for example, it doesn't take much time to notice it means REMOVE, not to mention that I think the alias DEL is used in the console, but still, it may be pretty hard to learn for some users) has its own graphical user interface (GUI) which can be entered directly after booting!

Of course, we also have Macintosh computers, which sport a mouse and icon based interface since their beginning (the famous System, now renamed as MacOS) and if I remember well (will do my research about it if necessary) Microsoft actually collaborated with them for a while and there was some controversy about MS Windows, I think. I know for sure that Microsoft was supposed to develop OS/2 for IBM, but they backed off to work on their own 32-bit system.

This little, maybe sometimes erroneus and hard to follow, essay is supposed to prove that technical development, while discovered by really intelligent and often genial people, is supposed to dumb people down. I, for one, got an Atari emulator once just because... I wanted to do some Basic. I also have a DOS emulator for old games. Sometimes I want to spend some time on Linux console, just because I am bored with mouse. Call me an idiot, but yes, I do have that kind of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    *cough* Where's Steven?
  4. "The Lord took him!" wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ceiling Cat? shocked
  5. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The science also goes into making life easier for people. Great, but it's two-sided. With the help of machines and stuff, people become weaker and weaker. They think less.

But that sort of anti-technology grumbling has ALWAYS been present!
    Plato forbade his pupils the use of writing materials, as it would make the brain lazy.
    In the fourteenth century there was a lot of grumbling against chimneys as they would "weaken man's hearts, while the smoke fortifies and strengthen's the body".

And of course ALL progress has the innate potential of destruction. And that's logical: as one way opens, another, old (and familiar) one is cast aside.
    Computers will make people stupid.
    Cars will make people lazy.
    Electric light will destroy our eyes.

What you'll find at the end of the day is that there are indeed some people who choose to surrender all their capacities to comfort (and they WILL grow far from fast food, stupid from not excercizing their brains and lazy for not moving).
    And then there are those who always grab progress to expand their horizons: learn or excercize a new language; build knowledge; elaborate on classic social interaction...in fact this very board is proof of the proper use of technology and its benefits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The science also goes into making life easier for people. Great, but it's two-sided. With the help of machines and stuff, people become weaker and weaker. They think less.

A good example of that would be GPS in the car... people have no idea anymore where they are! biggrin

But I don't agree on thinking less. There was quite some thinking involved in creating these machines and technology and people have to keep thinking about how to use technology the right way.
  6. GPS actually LETS them know where they are, that's a thing that is useful without much dumbing down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    No, they don't know! People trust GPS blindly, almost literally. When that thing breaks down some people have no idea where they are at all. They follow the directions without looking around and thinking about where they are and which way they are going.

GPS has the same effect as being a driver's mate. When you have to drive yourself you remember where you drive. When you are in the passengers seat you don't pay attention. The same with GPS, you don't pay attention yourself at all.

This happened to me the other day. Someone picked me up from the station by foot and we walked to her home. When I had to go back she said 'you know now how to get back to the station right?' and I thought 'oops... forgot to pay attention on the way over here'. So she gave me the directions and I walked back and I did not recognize a thing... just because we were talking on the way over there and I was simply following her and not looking around.

I am awful with things like that. Sometimes I ask how do I get back? An then people say, the exact same way you got here! But I never understood that because it all looks different from the other side right?? When you go somewhere you don't look behind you... well, that's what you see when you go back! So I think 'the exact same way' does not make sense at all... hehe
    dizzy

Anyway, I just hope people will keep reading maps and following signs on the road, just to train the coordination a bit. Just like we keep exercising instead of hunting food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

But that sort of anti-technology grumbling has ALWAYS been present!
    Plato forbade his pupils the use of writing materials, as it would make the brain lazy.
    In the fourteenth century there was a lot of grumbling against chimneys as they would "weaken man's hearts, while the smoke fortifies and strengthen's the body".

lol, that reminds me how every generation, going back thousands of years, always complains about the youth, and how life was so much better when they were young themselves. I think the root to these sorts of thinking patterns are a natural aversion to change. All organisms thrive on stability and in human society these naturally selected preferences are translated into such cultural attitutes. People almost never seem to think deeply about why they have these feelings/attitudes, instead they choose the easier route of trying to support them with arguments and cherry picked evidence.

Of course many people realize the benefits of technology too, even though they habour this natural aversion to change, so we end up with these curious situations where people use their computers (the ultimate technological product) to complain about how damaging and worrying technology is.

Life sure is funny sometimes. spin

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    " This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion Professor Richard Dawkins"

That must be the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. Tell Mr.Dawkins that stupidity is unfortunately a "virtue" for the entire human race, since day 1 irregardles of specific religious background.

But then again, what do i know? I am a brain-dead Christian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hmmm.... You know I'm not too fond of atheist or antitheist humanism. slant

In the Netherlands the 'Humanistisch Verbond' (Dutch Humanist Association) had a campaign like that. Not on busses! But in newspapers and such. They also used slogans that were joking with religion a bit.

Now, since humanists don't agree on many things (one of the reasons why humanism is hard to define) this campaign was also causing some discussion. Personally I see myself more as a plurifum humanist and I like diversity and I hate moralising. Sometimes it scares me a bit though when I'm not too sure people are able to think independently and focus on life here on earth and make moral decisions based on human feelings, thoughts and experiences.

Anyway, personally my slogan would be simply 'Don't worry, enjoy your life' but I understand they wanted to react to the religious campaigns that were all over the place apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    These campaigns are plain dumb and while those "atheists" or whatever might not acknowledge or even realize it, they are no different than the average fanatic christian religious ramification who writes similar declarations with their believes on, and with which they fill several public-seen places and media. That is so amazing with them, "atheists" or whatever. They are doing exactly the same thing they oppose to, just writing something different each time which represents their belief. Writing such slogans on busses, to me it's not less idiotic than this dumb bitch here: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=34e_1224662447

If somebody really wants to let people think for their own good, just let them be; nobody who already has the ability to think for themselves and is not an idiot needs indications on how to do it nor pushing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    That is so amazing with them, "atheists" or whatever. They are doing exactly the same thing they oppose to, just something different.

Yes, that was my point as well. When you want other people to be against something you are as much telling someone else what to do as when you want people to be pro something.

But the problem is humanists don't get much support because they don't have many specific statements. So the reason they chose a point of view like this is so it gets noticed. It's a true dilemma in humanism. In the Netherlands 60 % of the people agree with humanist values and beliefs. But the number of people who support humanism or call themself a humanist is very low. Humanist often don't like labels, so basically they are digging their own grave. For instance because many are pro pluriformity, it's hard to define humanism and have a campaign. Other humanists therefore argue they need to make more clear and distinguishing statements they stand for. And that's why there are campaigns like this, they want to show a point of view opposite to the other point of view, otherwise they won't get heard.

But like I said, many humanists don't agree with campaigns like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote

But like I said, many humanists don't agree with campaigns like this.

Of course; i know that not everyone who shares the philosophy is pro those tactics as well, there are always exceptions. If i assumed that, i'd be doing the same thing with some of them who condone the notion that all religious people are dumb and not thinking for themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    If somebody really wants to let people think for their own good, just let them be; nobody who already has the ability to think for themselves and is not an idiot needs indications on how to do it nor pushing.

I really understand what you say and I agree.

But this is about humanist organisations. They need support. Many humanist values are seen as just western values and are taken for granted.

I already explained it a bit in my other post, but the paradox is that humanists don't like the idea of organising, they like to be independent and free, something the organisation is fighting for!

So the organisation does not get enough members and money.
    One example of why it's a pity is the broadcasting networks. Each religious group gets time on TV to broadcast and the more Hindus, the more time Hindu TV gets. The same with Muslims, Christians, etc. So, they look at the number of 'humanists' and see there are not many. While 60% of Dutch people agree with humanist live view. So HUMAN does not get much time on TV and that's a shame.

Other things the Dutch Humanist Association has been fighting for in the past is equal rights for women, homosexuals, human rights in general and now autonomy and euthanasia are hot items. They just need members and support for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, that's what all this aims for. More members, money and popularity. Dawkin's wallet is still not full enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, the thing is that humanism is far more a state of mind than it is a belief system.
    Humanism doesn't have a Book Of Truth. Humanism doesn't have clearly defined guidelines.

In humanism you would be perfectly justified in practising the slogan "don't worry, just enjoy your life". I on the other hand (being slightly (wink) more moralising) would add "do the right thing as per social agreement and/or law"...and that would be perfectly alright too!
    And of course both standards could lead to hour-long discussions and provoke as many positive as negative reactions within humanist-minded people.
    It's just not as clear-cut as "kill witches" or "don't eat pork".
    And we all know that man in general loves clear boundaries to live his life by. So it's no wonder an amalgam of man-centered considerations doesn't find a clear and defined audience...no matter how many people subscribe to its core values.