• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, if we're at it, you are seeing the Bible literally, though when it comes to Genesis it is a very popular method to see it as an allegory then indeeed the day is million years. We can't take the Bible *too* literally.

Indeed. The Bible is filled with parables and metaphores (e.g. "do not cast pearls before swine"); even the people who claim to take it literally, really doesn't, because it would lose all its meaning if taken literally.

Peter smile
  1. Which was even seen in the Patristic days (3-5th Century, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) and St. Augustine's De doctrine Christiana (On the Christian doctrine).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I'm in California. If today is my last day of posting, you'll know why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited

VenomFangX and Kent Hovind? Oy vey! That's probably the two most ridiculous characters on the internet. They tend to sound very sure of themselves, but they are saying complete bollocks; lies, misrepresentations and misunderstandings of science. Hovind is currently in jail for tax evasion btw, which shows a bit about this man's honesty. If you have a favorite argument, bring it forth and we can discuss it in depth, it would take too long to address everything in the above links.

If you want to hear some actual scientific evidence from an actual evolutionary biologist, instead of a delusional teenager and a criminal with a fake degree, I again suggest Ken Miller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

Another link I recommend, for anyone who want to know what evolution actually is, instead of the strawman version creationists tend to attack, I warmly recommend the following site: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The reason most people don't believe in evolution is simply because they haven't read about it in-depth, or haven't understood it. The evidence is just too vast to dispute it using any religious ideas. It genuinely depresses me. sad

I think, in the US it's about 50/50 now, and it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Peter smile

The right direction meaning evolution, I assume?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    The evidence is just too vast to dispute it using any religious ideas. It genuinely depresses me. sad

Christians are the same way; you think we aren't depressed seeing so many people in this world missing out on God's gift of salvation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    TheTelmarine wrote
    The right direction meaning evolution, I assume?

Yep. At least from the last polls I saw.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed. The Bible is filled with parables and metaphores...

Yeah, Christian groups will simply pick and choose which bits of scripture to believe and which bits to write off as symbols or allegories. A frighteningly large number of people still take their scripture, including the story of Noah, literally. Their whole life of education has led them to view natural disasters as bound up in human affairs, paybacks for human misdemeanours, rather than anything as impersonal, such as plate tectonics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LSH wrote
    I went to a Catholic primary and secondary school and was once put in detention by my R.E. teacher and cautioned by senior staff for raising a logical case against Christianity, putting forward very sensible and reasonable questions in a very calm and friendly manner, during an R.E. lesson in year 10. Unfortunately I flipped when the teacher (a complete dickhead if there ever was one) suddenly began disregarding my arguments as silly and preposterous and the debate escalated until I was dismissed from the lesson. He clearly had time for discussion on the subject, just not with me. The memory of that day serves as excellent motivation for debates like these. I always hated that teacher, he was an ignorant f*cker.

I feel so sorry for you! Seriously, that teacher had no right to act the way he did! But you can't look at one past experience and think that all Christians are like that... Please don't use that bad memory as a means to fight against my religion, though. That jerk likely wasn't/isn't even a Christian, and he should've given you the chance to talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I feel so sorry for you!

To be honest, I feel sorry for him. Oh, and he is a Christian. A school like that would not employ non-Christian teachers for the R.E. department! No way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Am I actually the only Christian member that frequents this site? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am. Although not a fanatic, but yes, i am Christian Orthodox.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am. Although not a fanatic, but yes, i am Christian Orthodox.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    TheTelmarine wrote

Again you confuse creationism with christianity. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they aren't christian. Let God do the judging.

The evolutionary biologist I linked to in this thread is a christian. If you seek people in this thread, PawelStroinski is christian as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    plindboe wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Again you confuse creationism with christianity. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they aren't christian. Let God do the judging.

The evolutionary biologist I linked to in this thread is a christian. If you seek people in this thread, PawelStroinski is christian as well.

Peter smile

That's a good point. I keep forgetting that there are Christian evolutionists out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    The evidence is just too vast to dispute it using any religious ideas. It genuinely depresses me. sad

Christians are the same way; you think we aren't depressed seeing so many people in this world missing out on God's gift of salvation?

Yes, created by your own feelings - "God" is only real to you because you wish it so and you will find him wherever you look. Religion is largely followed simply because those who do need to believe in something to give meaning to their life and the world around them. The fact that it makes you feel good is in no way an argument for its legitimacy, it just isn't.

I feel sorry for you for thinking there is an all-powerful almighty "God" who judges and tells you how to live your life, one that will send you to hell for not living by his/her rule. I feel sorry for those who adhere to the sexual repression that the Bible teaches. I feel sorry for you for needing religion in your life to live a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    TheTelmarine wrote
    That's a good point. I keep forgetting that there are Christian evolutionists out there.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Says who? You. How do you know? You don't, you think you know.

But what you DO know pretty damn well than nobody is in a position to be aware of the actual truth for sure and up to that degree so that he'd write off others beliefs with full confidence and security of knowledge and in addition, add sympathies for their state of poor beliefs ontop.

And My God, Steven: you have a very misunderstood view of religion and Christianity in general :

I feel sorry for you for thinking there is an all-powerful almighty "God" who judges and tells you how to live your life, one that will send you to hell for not living by his/her rule. I feel sorry for those who adhere to the sexual repression that the Bible teaches. I feel sorry for you for needing religion in your life to live a good one.

2. Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, created by your own feelings - "God" is only real to you because you wish it so and you will find him wherever you look. Religion is largely followed simply because those who do need to believe in something to give meaning to their life and the world around them. The fact that it makes you feel good is in no way an argument for its legitimacy, it just isn't.

No, I think you're forgetting one thing here. I think we all believe in something and rationalize those beliefs. This is why actually there exists a dichotomy between religion and science.

Have you read Kierkegaard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

That's not true. God is real to me because He is real. He's as real as you are, as my family is, as my girlfriend is. You can't just say He's an imaginary being. You don't have any proof of that. Look around, and you'll see that there is nothing that can disprove what the Bible says.

Steven wrote

Don't feel sorry for me; I'm fine! biggrin It's you I feel sorry for. What's the matter with having someone who judges and runs our lives? He created us in His image, gave us life, a home, and His son to die for our sins, so why shouldn't we follow and serve Him? By sexual repression, do you mean abstinence? There's nothing wrong with that. After all, it's the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy and STDs. I have a girlfriend, and we're both waiting for marriage.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Says who? You. How do you know? You don't, you think you know.

But what you DO know pretty damn well than nobody is in a position to be aware of the actual truth for sure and up to that degree so that he'd write off others beliefs with full confidence and security of knowledge and in addition, add sympathies for their state of poor beliefs ontop.

Exactly. Every theory regarding creation HAS the tendency to model as the ULTIMATE truth. The problem with evolution is that every single new discovery (from discovery of DNA to discovery of transitional species) proves Darwin was right, but of course the theory of evolution, if memory serves me well, is constantly updated.

As a Catholic Christian I can say that seeing the Creation as an allegory of evolution is nothing insensible (word?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i am perfectly alright with my sweety, family, life and friends. I Don't see any dude with white beard and a stick running behind me hitting me on the head and telling me to be miserable. wink
  4. TheTelmarine wrote

That's not true. God is real to me because He is real. He's as real as you are, as my family is, as my girlfriend is. You can't just say He's an imaginary being. You don't have any proof of that. Look around, and you'll see that there is nothing that can disprove what the Bible says.

I'm sorry, but nothing can PROVE God's existence scientifically. PHILOSOPHICALLY it's possible, St. Thomas of Aquinas has done that and not only him. but scientific proof for ANY side of the religion/science conflict is interpretation of facts, not facts themselves. With any kind of assumption a scientific and religious interpretation of facts is nothing else than a logical reasoning. The question, really, is which assumption do you reject.

Oh well, I should be agnostic biggrin . But I am religious. It doesn't make me reject science though. I just don't think science disproves anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I'm sorry, but nothing can PROVE God's existence scientifically. PHILOSOPHICALLY it's possible, St. Thomas of Aquinas has done that and not only him. but scientific proof for ANY side of the religion/science conflict is interpretation of facts, not facts themselves. With any kind of assumption a scientific and religious interpretation of facts is nothing else than a logical reasoning. The question, really, is which assumption do you reject.

Excellent point. William, you can't expect people to accept that as an intelligible reply to this debate since you've blindly assumed God is real. I'm sorry, but if you are going to debate like that then I can't really take this debate very seriously.

Of course God cannot be disproved, but that does not mean the probability of his/her existence lies exactly half way between true or false. The probability of God's existence is extremely low in light of scientific evidence... but does that disprove the existence? No. And do I believe without a shadow of a doubt that God doesn't exist? No, I just assume he/she doesn't. You on the other hand KNOW of God's existence, you think you hold some God-given knowledge that people like myself do not have the privilege of - and I find that extremely offensive to human intelligence.

Christodoulides wrote

And My God, Steven: you have a very misunderstood view of religion and Christianity in general :

Ah, but I have only misunderstood it if I were referring to your take on Christianity specifically. I was not, I was referring to the teachings of the Bible and the oppressive interpretations that can and have been/being derived from it. I was paralleling it to the fruits of life that can be had without resorting to dogmas of religion if you like. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    PHILOSOPHICALLY it's possible, St. Thomas of Aquinas has done that and not only him.

Funnily enough, St. Thomas Aquinas is the namesake of my old school. His asserted 'proofs' of God's existence don't prove anything, most of which involve infinite regress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Exactly. Every theory regarding creation HAS the tendency to model as the ULTIMATE truth.

Religions aren't theories, imo, but a mixture of postulations, stories, rituals etc. that people live by. They are generally presented as the ultimate Truth.

Scientific theories are explanatory frameworks, consisting of mechanisms, subtheories, models, testable hypotheses etc., that seek to explain observations within specific boundaries. They are not regarded as Truth; conflicting evidence will either provoke changes to increase the level of accuracy or if really severe, get the theory discarded completely. Find a precambrian rabbit skull for example, and you've completely disproved evolution.

PawelStroinski wroteThe problem with evolution is that every single new discovery (from discovery of DNA to discovery of transitional species) proves Darwin was right, but of course the theory of evolution, if memory serves me well, is constantly updated.

The theory of evolution has indeed come a long way since it's humble beginnings. Darwin certainly wasn't right about everything.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    Of course God cannot be disproved, but that does not mean the probability of his/her existence lies exactly half way between true or false. The probability of God's existence is extremely low in light of scientific evidence... but does that disprove the existence? No. And do I believe without a shadow of a doubt that God doesn't exist? No, I just assume he/she doesn't. You on the other hand KNOW of God's existence, you think you hold some God-given knowledge that people like myself do not have the privilege of - and I find that extremely offensive to human intelligence.

I agree.

It's incredibly irritating that the 'truth' of Christianity (and all other scriptured religions) is an apparent axiom, not the end product of a process of reasoning. Your holy book is true and if evidence appears to contradict it, it's the evidence that must be thrown out, not the book. When a science book is wrong, someone eventually discovers the mistake and it is corrected in subsequent editions, something that conspicuously doesn't happen with holy books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LSH wrote
    Your holy book is true and if evidence appears to contradict it, it's the evidence that must be thrown out, not the book. When a science book is wrong, someone eventually discovers the mistake and it is corrected in subsequent editions, something that conspicuously doesn't happen with holy books.

Can you show me a bit of evidence that proves Christianity is a farce and God is not real?
  5. Middle Ages. What do you expect biggrin
  6. LSH wrote
    Steven wrote

I agree.

It's incredibly irritating that the 'truth' of Christianity (and all other scriptured religions) is an apparent axiom, not the end product of a process of reasoning. Your holy book is true and if evidence appears to contradict it, it's the evidence that must be thrown out, not the book. When a science book is wrong, someone eventually discovers the mistake and it is corrected in subsequent editions, something that conspicuously doesn't happen with holy books.

You can't correct a holy book, because the principle says (I think it goes as far as to St. Augustine again) that the human authors wrote down the words sent by God. If you believed that He is an absolute truth, etc. you rather wouldn't edit his works without his approval.

The mistakes in translation from the original Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek source is another thing, the corrections in that matter go as far as to Renaissance.