• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I biggrin (It's on the TV at the moment. It's hilarious.)

British humor rolleyes tongue biggrin

Great innit? Best in the world. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I love Lewis Black, he often criticizes USA politics and creationism/religion.

My all time favourite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_BRZoXjOmI punk

'And then there are fossils...'. biggrin

Awesomeness. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    George Carlin... RIP? biggrin

(I'm a Sun worshiper too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    No, I know God is real.

beer

Just look around you. The world, the universe, the complexity of the human body and mind. I can't look around and not think God made it all. I can't think we all were made out of either nothing or some lesser creature. If evolution is true, why don't we seem to evolve anymore?

Absolutely right. Science deals with the tangible world, whereas God is intangible. I am no religious philosopher, but that's all I know smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    No, I know God is real.

beer

And thus here lies the problem; people are rewarded and patted on the back for their ignorance. Wonderful! dizzy beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    No, I know God is real.

beer

And thus here lies the problem; people are rewarded and patted on the back for their ignorance. Wonderful! dizzy beer

If you call that ignorance, I don't know what is knowledge. Sorry, I'm not heading for a religious debate tongue Can't change your religious views, can't change mine...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    If you call that ignorance, I don't know what is knowledge.

Knowledge is knowing I am a male. Knowledge is knowing the Earth is round. Knowledge is knowing water boils at 100°C. Knowing God exists is not knowledge, it's a hunch, a feeling, an assumption.

Ignorance of facts is a serious issue in religion, ignorance of how the cosmos actually works. That is the ignorance to which I refer to, and that is the ignorance which is so often applauded by people all around the world.

Sorry, I'm not heading for a religious debate

A reaction I find most theists tend to give. The reason I believe this is is because they find it increasingly hard to rationalise their beliefs in a time when those beliefs are becoming under so much scrutiny from reason and logic, two things religion has always been ney privy to. The religious minded simply will not accept anything other than what they believe, it's pure stubbornness. A classic human trait, I think most if not all of us are stubborn - though some are at least more willing to listen to reason and use their brains that "God" gave unto them.

Can't change your religious views, can't change mine...

Only because you simply will not listen to reason and logic! dizzy Reason and logic isn't some made up thing by non-religious people to prove their points and "beat up" religious ideas, they're facts of reality, as in the world we actually live in.

You're half right though. My views have been changed many times on religion, some in its favour and some not. There's a lot of good that can come from religion, and I know it can be consoling for many people in times of despair, but unfortunately it also entails believing in - as Mr. Black so eloquently puts it biggrin - bullshit. We shouldn't have to believe in bullshit in the 21st century, in a time 40 years since man walked on the moon (!), to console ourselves. There are other philosophies capable of comfort without resorting to dogmatic ideas of religion.

I just want people to use their brains for once, but alas humans generally don't. Fact of life I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Knowledge is knowing I am a male. Knowledge is knowing the Earth is round. Knowledge is knowing water boils at 100°C. Knowing God exists is not knowledge, it's a hunch, a feeling, an assumption.

What you mentioned is academic knowledge. Believing in God or not is your choice, but you cannot deny that there's karma in the world. That's values, without which, I believe, academic knowledge is useless. Don't get me wrong, academic education is the MOST important part, but without use of good values it is weak. It is like deciding whether you want to use your scientific brain to develop a atom bomb or a live saving medicine. Religion teaches you that, academic education doesn't. I am a Hindu, and we believe the maintainer or operator of karma, or rather the force of karma, as God. If you say there's no karma, I don't know what you're talking about.

A reaction I find most theists tend to give. The reason I believe this is is because they find it increasingly hard to rationalise their beliefs in a time when those beliefs are becoming under so much scrutiny from reason and logic, two things religion has always been ney privy to. The religious minded simply will not accept anything other than what they believe, it's pure stubbornness. A classic human trait, I think most if not all of us are stubborn - though some are at least more willing to listen to reason and use their brains that "God" gave unto them.

Say what you will, but true religion is more concerned with the art of living rather than pouring your blood on an idol as ritual. I agree that things like the later are, in my opinion, baseless and unacceptable (they mainly stemmed in the medieval ages) but the stories which are taught in religions, real or not, are to encourage people to live a life of values and not of evil. And since I believe in karma, I believe in God also.

Only because you simply will not listen to reason and logic! dizzy Reason and logic isn't some made up thing by non-religious people to prove their points and "beat up" religious ideas, they're facts of reality, as in the world we actually live in.

Except all those expensive rituals, which I've already told you about, may I know what's exactly "unreasonable" and "unlogical" about religion? Is the fact that religion tells us to live a life freed of sins unreasonable? Is the fact that reason tells us that as we sow, so we reap unlogical? Is the fact that religion tells us to watch over our deeds because the omnipresent (I will call Him karma personified) is watching over us unreasonable? Have you heard of Newton's Third Law of Motion? That is not just a physical law, we believe it is very much a spiritual law. I have seen a healthy, vain and filthy rich man who troubled my Dad and his colleagues a few years ago nearly to tears, choke on a cup of tea and die on the spot. I know a friend who was troubled by some relatives very badly, and those people eventually died naked on the streets because someone claimed their property. It is called tit for tat. I have seen a person who was as poor as you can imagine, but he had a great heart and he served people even at his own expense. He even returned us our 1000 rupees which had accidentally fallen on the ground. Eventually his crops flourished and now he leads a normal, pretty well off life.

I call this personification of justice God, and I respect Him and worship Him. If it's still unreasonable and unlogical, I'm sorry.
  1. Steven, the thing is that religion doesn't state facts, but interprets them. The world was created? Fact. Things appeared in time? Fact. Was it 6 days (allegory or not)? Interpretation.

The same of the Ark of Noah: Middle East had a large flood? Fact - proved even by Babilonian epics. A certain guy saved every animal? - a legend, which means a little part of it is a fact (maybe that's how numerous people survived the large flood). The flood being sent by God because people were sinners? Interpretation of fact.

Reason and logic can be given to religion, which was TOO MUCH practiced in the Middle Ages (scholastics anyone?), but the thing is that we either accept or reject the very assumption of God's existence. And within the assumption the logical process goes accordingly.

Of course, religion does pretend to be the Ultimate Truth, often to be taken as granted. But it has two things to its defense - without it anything like this wouldn't make ANY sense and you are right that religion was created when science was practically non-existent (proven by the fact that Egyptian priests could PREDICT astrological phenomena and use them - again question of INTERPRETATION, not FACTS themselves), so that adds to the mix (being religious and all I do agree that religion is some kind of philosophy for dummies, with all due respect).

Second thing that has to be taken into account and goes in defense of religion is the difficulty of faith. Steven, if you haven't, read some Soren Kierkegaard, he explains it very well. And he is very much right.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The same of the Ark of Noah: Middle East had a large flood? Fact - proved even by Babilonian epics. A certain guy saved every animal? - a legend, which means a little part of it is a fact (maybe that's how numerous people survived the large flood). The flood being sent by God because people were sinners? Interpretation of fact.

I'd like to point out an interesting fact here - in Hinduism there is also mentioned a great flood God caused to liberate Earth of sinners. God instructed Manu (we call him the first man, equivalent to Noah in Christianity) to collect his animals and family and build a huge boat, in advance. Then when the flood came, the Lord took the form of a giant fish ("Matsya") and helped the boat through to a safe piece of land when the catastrophe subsided.

And this piece of literature dates years back when India hadn't even been discovered by the West! Some scholars believe that these tales could have genuine origins and could be evidence. I don't know, but that's just what I read in the newspaper a few years back.
  2. Is it Ramayana, Ravi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it Ramayana, Ravi?

No, it's the Srimad Bhagvatam, which chronicles the life of Lord Krishna and the ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu (Matsya is his first).
  3. OK. I am no religious scholar, a mere future Ph. D. in literature, but I find it fascinating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, it's very entertaining reading biggrin

If you want to read, here's the English translation - http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/
  4. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

What you mentioned is academic knowledge. Believing in God or not is your choice, but you cannot deny that there's karma in the world. That's values, without which, I believe, academic knowledge is useless. Don't get me wrong, academic education is the MOST important part, but without use of good values it is weak. It is like deciding whether you want to use your scientific brain to develop a atom bomb or a live saving medicine. Religion teaches you that, academic education doesn't. I am a Hindu, and we believe the maintainer or operator of karma, or rather the force of karma, as God. If you say there's no karma, I don't know what you're talking about.

Knowledge is knowledge whether you wish to call it academic knowledge or not. I also don't agree at all that religion is the only thing that can teach us values and morals. It's simply one of the first and worst attempts at it. Through academic education, I think modern, more healthier morals and values can actually be learned, particularly through sociology and philosophy. Most humans know wrong from right, the Bible just tells them not to act on the wrong... I can figure that out for myself. And so could a lot of people if they were brought up to think for themselves without preconceived notions of hugely unfounded religious assumptions.

Say what you will, but true religion is more concerned with the art of living rather than pouring your blood on an idol as ritual. I agree that things like the later are, in my opinion, baseless and unacceptable (they mainly stemmed in the medieval ages) but the stories which are taught in religions, real or not, are to encourage people to live a life of values and not of evil. And since I believe in karma, I believe in God also.

But again, there are other stories out there which could be told to teach us about the moralities of life without resorting to believing in the absurd, which a lot of people do whether you profess to be a religious moderate or not. This is the point I'm getting at here.

Except all those expensive rituals, which I've already told you about, may I know what's exactly "unreasonable" and "unlogical" about religion? Is the fact that religion tells us to live a life freed of sins unreasonable? Is the fact that reason tells us that as we sow, so we reap unlogical? Is the fact that religion tells us to watch over our deeds because the omnipresent (I will call Him karma personified) is watching over us unreasonable? Have you heard of Newton's Third Law of Motion? That is not just a physical law, we believe it is very much a spiritual law. I have seen a healthy, vain and filthy rich man who troubled my Dad and his colleagues a few years ago nearly to tears, choke on a cup of tea and die on the spot. I know a friend who was troubled by some relatives very badly, and those people eventually died naked on the streets because someone claimed their property. It is called tit for tat. I have seen a person who was as poor as you can imagine, but he had a great heart and he served people even at his own expense. He even returned us our 1000 rupees which had accidentally fallen on the ground. Eventually his crops flourished and now he leads a normal, pretty well off life.

Perspective. Significance of events can be found in almost anything depending on your perspective. If God had the capability and indeed compassion to perform such acts of justice upon the those who dabble in injustice, then why allow it to happen in the first place? Why allow anything bad to happen? What about the RUF "freedom fighters" that needlessly murder entire villages? Why does karma not intervene here? Is this to say your Father and his colleagues are of more importance to God than those children slain by groups such as the RUF? It's all a matter of perspective. Again, I think it's always a good idea to look at a more logical side in cases like this. Then again, who knows, you may indeed be right. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Second thing that has to be taken into account and goes in defense of religion is the difficulty of faith. Steven, if you haven't, read some Soren Kierkegaard, he explains it very well. And he is very much right.

I shall take your recommendation to heart Pawel. Seems like this could be an interesting read. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Knowledge is knowledge whether you wish to call it academic knowledge or not. I also don't agree at all that religion is the only thing that can teach us values and morals. It's simply one of the first and worst attempts at it. Through academic education, I think modern, more healthier morals and values can actually be learned, particularly through sociology and philosophy. Most humans know wrong from right, the Bible just tells them not to act on the wrong... I can figure that out for myself. And so could a lot of people if they were brought up to think for themselves without preconceived notions of hugely unfounded religious assumptions.

So how have Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Maths helped you gain values? I'm really interested to know.

And sociology and philosophy are value sciences, more inclined toward the religious side as far as I have seen.

Perspective. Significance of events can be found in almost anything depending on your perspective. If God had the capability and indeed compassion to perform such acts of justice upon the those who dabble in injustice, then why allow it to happen in the first place? Why allow anything bad to happen? What about the RUF "freedom fighters" that needlessly murder entire villages? Why does karma not intervene here? Is this to say your Father and his colleagues are of more importance to God than those children slain by groups such as the RUF? It's all a matter of perspective. Again, I think it's always a good idea to look at a more logical side in cases like this. Then again, who knows, you may indeed be right. smile

Ever heard of "free will"? We have a special ability known as FREE WILL, which means that we can freely do what we wish, or more accurately what they think is right. God will not stop you doing something. God did not stop my Dad and his colleagues from suffering from the Boss, nor did he stop the Boss at that time. But the Boss eventually reaped his punishment. God is not stopping RUFs and terrorists from massacring because they have free will too. They will reap their punishment one day when they have crossed the line, because they misused their free will. That is not for us to decide. It is believed everyone is given a chance to atone when they do a crime, and if they don't and continue doing, they will pay.

As for why innocents suffer, it is believed that they're punishment for previous sins, perhaps from "previous lives". Again that depends upon YOUR perspective of thinking, but I recently I read some interesting scientific research about the previous life thing. I'll say it here if you want.

You might call it my perspective, but personally many feel, not just me, that it is more or less a solid hypothesis, if not a theory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    No, I know God is real.

beer

Just look around you. The world, the universe, the complexity of the human body and mind. I can't look around and not think God made it all. I can't think we all were made out of either nothing or some lesser creature. If evolution is true, why don't we seem to evolve anymore?

Absolutely right. Science deals with the tangible world, whereas God is intangible. I am no religious philosopher, but that's all I know smile

Ravi, if I may, what is your religion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote

Hindu smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Hindu smile

OK.
  5. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I shall take your recommendation to heart Pawel. Seems like this could be an interesting read. beer

Basically it's the *only* work of his I've read, but it's very good and shows how complicated everything is - Fear and Trembling. There Kierkegaard takes one Biblical excerpt to show what faith is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just wanted to say that I think TheTelmarine have behaved admirably during this thread. It is difficult participating in a debate where everyone seems to be against you, especially in a thread with Steven, who tends to be rather direct. tongue wink

TheTelmarine, I hope you will check out the two links I posted. You can also PM me if you'd like ask questions about evolution or other sciency stuff, or if you want elaborations of the stuff in the links. I study this stuff after all, so I might be able to sort out the problems you think there are.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think everyone has behaved well in this thread, as I said at the beginning this isn't the type of forum where individuals will resort to name calling. Though I do feel William has yet to argue his case for religion in a particularly intelligible matter as yet, though no offense intended. As far as me being direct goes? Well, no point in pussy footing around issues that do not need pussy footing around. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    plindboe wrote
    Just wanted to say that I think TheTelmarine have behaved admirably during this thread. It is difficult participating in a debate where everyone seems to be against you, especially in a thread with Steven, who tends to be rather direct. tongue wink

TheTelmarine, I hope you will check out the two links I posted. You can also PM me if you'd like ask questions about evolution or other sciency stuff, or if you want elaborations of the stuff in the links. I study this stuff after all, so I might be able to sort out the problems you think there are.

Peter smile

Thanks a lot, Peter! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I think everyone has behaved well in this thread, as I said at the beginning this isn't the type of forum where individuals will resort to name calling.

I agree. I'm just glad this discussion hasn't torn the whole forum apart. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This forum isn't like that, i think you must have realized it by now smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, I have. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

What? You telling me I'm NOT at the FSM forum? confused

Oh....ehhh......right! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What? You telling me I'm NOT at the FSM forum? confused

Oh....ehhh......right! wink

LOL lol

plindboe wrote
    Peter smile

Totally agreed! beer