• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Oy veh....and Bregt only wanted to post something funny he'd found on the internet! :D

While I am a Christian myself (although a very liberal one....I drink, party, have sex with random women and occasionally swear!), I don't think the article that Bregt referred to really has anything to do with Christianity. It's more a nerdy guy with too much time on his hands, envelopped by his own "spur-of-the-moment" theory. It makes even the most anal film score "anorak" seem like James bloody Dean in comparison!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thor wrote
    (although a very liberal one....I drink, party, have sex with random women and occasionally swear!)

rolleyes A very, very liberal one, from the sound of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I drink, party, have sex with random women* and often swear! Does that make me a liberal atheist? biggrin

*very very occasionally I hasten to add sad, truth be told they're far from "random", and I certainly wouldn't consider myself a 'player' that Thor seems to be - or at least seems all too happy to let us know about it! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me, I often have random drinks at parties.
    Does that make me a liberalcoholic?
    christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Me, I often have random drinks at parties.
    Does that make me a liberalcoholic?
    christmas_drunk

Be away with you and your secularist ideas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Steven wrote
    *very very occasionally I hasten to add sad, truth be told they're far from "random", and I certainly wouldn't consider myself a 'player' that Thor seems to be - or at least seems all too happy to let us know about it! rolleyes

rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

rolleyes tongue

Oh yes, I'm afraid there are people fornicating all over the world as we speak surely going to hell for their sins! Actually, I'm hoping to meet Thor by the unreachable high cupcake table. We can discuss the women we've been with while the Devil whips us with his thorny tale. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

rolleyes tongue

Oh yes, I'm afraid there are people fornicating all over the world as we speak surely going to hell for their sins! Actually, I'm hoping to meet Thor by the unreachable high cupcake table. We can discuss the women we've been with while the Devil whips us with his thorny tale. wink

No comment. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shit, I'm an atheist and already got a one way ticket to hell... might as well enjoy the ride there. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atheist? And you believe in......hell?!?! wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

applause

Thank you for pointing out the irony there D. rolleyes biggrin

(Love you. kiss )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You didn't love me in the afternoon when you wanted to fight over Bregt though cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

applause

Thank you for pointing out the irony there D. rolleyes biggrin

(Love you. kiss )

I am sure deep inside you know what awaits you; that's why you maintain a towards-the-back aptitude from time to time; you never know which old white-bearded wise man with his long-haired son you might piss off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eh? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure if you re-read it in the morning you'll know whom i mean wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sure if you re-read it in the morning you'll know whom i mean wink

Or you could explain it, there's an idea! biggrin

Well, from what I can tell, and this is merely an assumption so please correct me if I'm wrong, you are saying that I joke about such things because in the back of my mind I secretly believe them? Trust me, if I believed in hell, I wouldn't joke about it. wink

If truth be told, I maintain this "towards-the-back aptitude from time to time" (or as I like to name it, irony-in-the-face-of-absurdity) because humour and irony is one thing a non-believer tends to have in his or her favour. A light-hearted way to ridicule the ridiculous. And there are some ridiculous ideas out there, religious and non-religious alike! (And certainly not meant to be taken as a personal dig at anyone, just a dig at stupid ideas. Aw, see, now I'm back in debating mode... it's tiring you know! biggrin )

Again, if I am mistaken in my interpretation of your comment, please correct me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I could also expand upon this a little and add that perhaps a theistic mind likes to think that even atheists believe in God in the back of their mind. Perhaps a case of "well, they say that, but surely they're scared of judgment some way or another?" Well, I can assure you that is almost certainly not the case with a lot of - if not all - non-believers, atheists if you will, and certainly not the case with me! (Just a thought mind you, I obviously can't be entirely sure of how theistic minds works in all their differing forms. But I can be sure of how mine works in a this psychological sense.)

Edit: thanks to dyslexia, I thought you had said "what" instead of "whom". I'd have to be pretty bloody thick to not know whom you were referring to! biggrin dizzy
  1. But there are things you believe in. Maybe even put above yourself (see as transcendent), don't you? It may be even reason. mind, nature.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You'll have to excuse my density here, as I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at? If you mean that a belief in reason, mind and nature is comparable to belief in God and many of the Bible's stories, then I don't think the comparison has much to say (or perhaps it does, it deserves further thought). I base my belief on reason because I have seen it work, I indeed base my belief on science as a workable approach to finding truth in the literal sense because, again, I have seen it work. It is because of science I was able to visit my family in California on a Boeing 777 rather than a magic carpet. And the faith I place in scientific knowledge that is taught to me is because I trust the peer-to-peer system that scientists and academics alike pursue. That is an entirely different kind of faith than that of the religious kind I think.

I like your argument, but arguments like that tend to twist meanings of words until they have none left. Words are our servants not our slaves as has been said before! smile

(I apologise for going off at a tangent, but it all makes for interesting discussion, right?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I walked on water today!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

rolleyes LOL You did? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

You filled it with custard didn't you? Didn't you?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

Yep! Wet pavements, didn't drown once!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aw, I was totally gonna go for the custard theory. I was wrong! sad

Ooh ooh, check your PMs for a good laugh. Well, made me laugh at least! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

Yep! Wet pavements, didn't drown once!

Good job.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Aw, I was totally gonna go for the custard theory. I was wrong! sad

Ooh ooh, check your PMs for a good laugh. Well, made me laugh at least! cool

Have done! biggrin

For my next miracle I'm going to turn wine into water. Takes a few hours but it always works, just hope it doesn't wake me in the middle of the night? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    For my next miracle I'm going to turn wine into water. Takes a few hours but it always works, just hope it doesn't wake me in the middle of the night? wink

LOL Wine into water and not water into wine? confused biggrin wink
  2. No, I understand you very well. I don't feel offended. What I mean is that people believing in God see Him "work" as much as you see reason work, which proves my theory that it all depends on an assumption. I'm not saying that believing Stephen Hawking is the same to believing Moses (the ancient tradition, still believed until 19th Century or later, stated he is the author of the Pentateuch, which constitutes of e.g. Genesis) regarding the creation of the world.

The author I recommended, Kierkegaard, states that faith is so hard, because it's so much AGAINST reason. But then again...

If you take the sole ASSUMPTION that God exists, then you can very logically explain Creationism. The question is if you take an assumption. Don't question the logic of a theory though.

I don't agree with Creationism, though I seem to see where does William come from with his firm believe in it. Some Protestant churches (including his, I know it from PM, so I abstain from telling which one it is) have chosen the rule called "by Scripture alone" or in its Latin original "Sola Scriptura". This principle was created by Martin Luther along with 4 other "solas" (alone) , like "by faith alone" (sola fide).

The sola scripture principle goes against Scholastical tradition, which made Biblical interpretation go completely overboard and led to its Renaissance critique and demise until the Council of Trent (1545-1563) reassured Tradition as the basis of understanding of the Bible. Its basic rule says that the Scripture is simple as is and it *explains* itself, thus a religious person shall read the Bible by oneself, rather than only during official service (in fact, reading Bible at home was forbidden for a long time by Catholic church).

Catholic Tradition on the other hand goes as far as the Church Fathers do. St. Augustine is the basis by his book of De doctrina Christiana, which kinda regulated the question of traditional four senses of Bible. The literal sense explains the history presented in the interpreted excerpt. Then comes the moral sense, which is obvious, the "anagogical" sense, which is, if I remember well, to explain the future. And there goes the allegorical sense, which, in one of the meanings of it, refers to the New Testament. Allegory WAS one of the ways of connecting both Testaments. Case in point is one of the Psalms, which was literally quoted by Christ on the cross (Eli, Eli lama sabachthani - God, my God why have You forsaken me), or the book of Job, where the main character is seen as a figure of Christ (through unwarranted suffering).

Now the question is whether we see the Bible as a series of metaphors or literally. Some readings may be very literal, which is the reason behind Creationism. Seeing the 6 Days (hence the Greek term of Hexameron) of creation as a metaphor allows us to accept Evolutionism as plausible.

Biblical literalism can't be seen as a logical mistake, especially if we choose to ABSTAIN from the tradition, like Protestants do, often being right about the mistakes behind theology, especially Medieval theology.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Just a minor question - does anyone know how the elements that we know today, like iron, silicon etc (the BASIC elements) of which everything is made of, even the planets, were first formed? They're the simplest substances - all other compounds are their combinations or derivatives. So there must be a Creator who made them, the atoms they're composed of, the SUB atomic particles like electrons or protons. Or was everything just "automatic"? tongue

And how was the universe itself formed? When? How? Even the scientists don't know. All we have is theories. This is one of the many things for which I belive in the Creator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven,

Just playing Devil's advocate here mate but what would you say to anyone suggesting perhaps you're not any better than those you so heartily oppose to? End of day, you both passionately defend your beliefs which are highly subjective since - knock on wood - nobody has gone up there (or down below, anyway) to check and come back to tell us the truth and we are all basically choosing what we want to believe and follow as real. How are you any different than any passionate Christian defending his beliefs?

wave