• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014 edited
    I think the chaplain is corteous enough for a while there, and impressively so. Besides, there isn't that much 'fun' in the rather rude way the parent expresses himself, so even a more humourously inclined priest would have trouble with that. Even I -- a very liberal Christian -- do.

The best thing the chaplain should have done is to leave the conversation earlier.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, well. If I had received such mails, whether critical towards me or not, it would have left me in stitches. I guess we can't all be equally sensitive.

Anyway, humour seems to be a fine way to vent against people who preach to your children before they are old enough to make up their own minds. I think most Christians would find it easy to sympathize with this parent if their own kids were bringing home permission slips about visits to the Church of Scientology and if public schools throughout the country had scientologists working as counsellors. Humour seems to me to be a rather benign reaction in such a situation.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014
    plindboe wrote
    Ah, well. If I had received such mails, whether critical towards me or not, it would have left me in stitches. I guess we can't all be equally sensitive.

Anyway, humour seems to be a fine way to vent against people who preach to your children before they are old enough to make up their own minds. I think most Christians would find it easy to sympathize with this parent if their own kids were bringing home permission slips about visits to the Church of Scientology and if public schools throughout the country had scientologists working as counsellors. Humour seems to me to be a rather benign reaction in such a situation.

Peter smile

Word!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Well, yeah, but we're not priests. I do not expect Christian professionals to 'be in stitches' over someone who ridicules the very thing they're passionate about. No more than I would someone who ridiculed film music. As I said, I think the chaplain reacted admirably, the only fault being that he kept the conversation for too long, thus "baiting the troll".

The only thing one can do in such circumstances is to raise the eyebrow, smile a bit, maybe, and move on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But you have to agree the whole flyer and the already pre-ticked (i agree) was a bit stretched.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmm...I don't know. I presume it was created because they didn't want to offend non-Christians? If so, it's a rather commendable thing to do, IMO. The chaplain says in the comments field that the box was not supposed to be pre-ticked.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It's not as much a flyer as it is a sort of parental consent, which is OK. With all the kitschy graphic element, it was a kind of document. The pre-ticking doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but generally it was a consent form. If it's illegal to preach or to give anything religion-related in that country, it's perfectly OK to offer such a thing and ask for consent.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And you believe that it all those flyers printed were not meant to be pre-ticked? Not me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The humour angle aside, can you at least sympathize with the parent? If you had children and strangers were trying to indoctrinate them with their religious "truths", out of your control and with full knowledge and cooperation from their school, wouldn't that annoy you?

If I went to schools to spread atheist propaganda I'd fully deserve it if someone told me to shove it. And if atheists had a nationwide monopoly of indoctrination with full knowledge and cooperation from public schools it should be considered a national problem.

I'm reminded of this:

--------------------------------------------------
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    It's fine to have one
    It's fine to be proud of it
    But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around
    And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    The humour angle aside, can you at least sympathize with the parent? If you had children and strangers were trying to indoctrinate them with their religious "truths", out of your control and with full knowledge and cooperation from their school, wouldn't that annoy you?)

Sure, but I don't think that's the case here. It seems to be a voluntary attendance, where parents have a choice. How is that indoctrination?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Demetris wrote
    And you believe that it all those flyers printed were not meant to be pre-ticked? Not me.

All the time I am saying precisely that I do NOT believe it was accidental.
  3. Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The humour angle aside, can you at least sympathize with the parent? If you had children and strangers were trying to indoctrinate them with their religious "truths", out of your control and with full knowledge and cooperation from their school, wouldn't that annoy you?)

Sure, but I don't think that's the case here. It seems to be a voluntary attendance, where parents have a choice. How is that indoctrination?

I side with Thor. It's a consent form, not propaganda.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

First of all, the permission slip isn't the only issue here, as pointed out in the link. Second of all, to preach the "truth" to children is indoctrination by definition, irrespective of parental consent. Third of all, I doubt that any other religion (or nonreligion) would be given the same advantageous spotlight by being welcomed to work full-time at the schools as school counsellors and being allowed to arrange school trips to their propaganda of choice. Christians would be up in arms if muslims, satanists, scientologists or anti-theists had the same nationwide influence and cooperation from public schools.

Peter smile
  4. Don't some states allow Muslim religion classes for Muslims?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

First of all, the permission slip isn't the only issue here, as pointed out in the link. Second of all, to preach the "truth" to children is indoctrination by definition, irrespective of parental consent. Third of all, I doubt that any other religion (or nonreligion) would be given the same advantageous spotlight by being welcomed to work full-time at the schools as school counsellors and being allowed to arrange school trips to their propaganda of choice. Christians would be up in arms if muslims, satanists, scientologists or anti-theists had the same nationwide influence and cooperation from public schools.

Peter smile

I disagree with your rhetoric here (with words such as 'propaganda'), and I think you're over-dramatizing what this is.

When I was a kid in school, Christianity was actually an obligatory subject, although parents could apply for alternative religion/worldview subjects instead. It makes sense, because it's our state religion, but that's actually far closer to 'indoctrination' than this innocent play, IMO (where the parents even get a CHOICE).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Don't some states allow Muslim religion classes for Muslims?

It's in the works in Germany but it pooves to be a very complicated matter. Certain groups try to force their interpretation of Islam into the curriculum, which is of course unacceptable for the state. Those groups won't accept a historico-critical approach as provided by Islam studies faculties at German universities. Typical clash of cultures.

I side with you concerning the present matter btw.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    When I was a kid in school, Christianity was actually an obligatory subject

Same here. I wasn't allowed to skip religious studies. ( and by that I mean the Christian religion )

I do not know what the curriculum in schools for religious education is now? I'd like to hear Bregje's viewpoint.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. plindboe wrote
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    It's fine to have one
    It's fine to be proud of it
    But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around
    And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats

applauseapplauseapplause
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    When I was a kid in school, Christianity was actually an obligatory subject

Same here. I wasn't allowed to skip religious studies. ( and by that I mean the Christian religion )

I do not know what the curriculum in schools for religious education is now? I'd like to hear Bregje's viewpoint.

In Norway, the subject is now called 'religion' instead, as opposed to 'Christianity' -- both in primary school and up to and including high school.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There is religious education for roman catholic and protestand Christians here in Germany. Whoever does not belong to either denomination, whoever is signed off by his parents (under 14 years old) od signs off himself (14 and older) ends up with me: He has to take "Philosophy". (At least in the state of Northrhine Westphalia.)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Peter smile

I disagree with your rhetoric here (with words such as 'propaganda'), and I think you're over-dramatizing what this is.

I use the words as defined. There's clearly an agenda (otherwise there wouldn't be these people working nationwide without pay in schools), and it's not about teaching different sides but to only forward a single agenda, and to present this as undeniable truth to children. This is propaganda and indoctrination by definition. Of course this is pretty much the modus operandi of Christianity, but that doesn't make these words any less applicable.

You accuse me over over-dramatizing, but I've yet to see you address my point that if such a religious monopoly was happening in your country with a religion/non-religion you disagreed vehemently with, say scientology, satanism or anti-theism, would it truly not concern you?

Thor wrote
    When I was a kid in school, Christianity was actually an obligatory subject, although parents could apply for alternative religion/worldview subjects instead. It makes sense, because it's our state religion, but that's actually far closer to 'indoctrination' than this innocent play, IMO (where the parents even get a CHOICE).

You've ignored the first and third points I made in my previous post. This is not just about a permission slip, as explained more than once.

Anyway, it's been the same in Denmark. I had Christianity classes too when I was a kid. We now simply have religion classes, which I think is much better and an important subject.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    applauseapplauseapplause

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

You accuse me over over-dramatizing, but I've yet to see you address my point that if such a religious monopoly was happening in your country with a religion/non-religion you disagreed vehemently with, say scientology, satanism or anti-theism, would it truly not concern you?

First of all, I think your examples are quite farfetched in this circumstance, so I don't really see the point in debating on that premise.

Second, it isn't really relevant either, because no one is forcing anyone to participate in anything here. It's an innocent play with Christian themes, and it's up to the parents whether they want to attend or not. Again, I think you're making much more out of this than what it really is. There's no grand conspiracy here.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I can speak my opinion about that.

Religion classes in scientology is something I can't imagine, really, because it's just plain weird to read about on wikipedia, let alone imagine as a school subject (and would they teach about fair game, for example?). So first I'd have to see the problem, but in general this is a religion safe to ridicule, partly because of Tom Cruise who did much worse to scientology than anyone else in that regard, even the people who had scandalously quit it recently (Leah Rimini over the leader's wife's disappearance and Paul Haggis over failing to work with charities or something similar). So it's unimaginable to see scientology being taught in schools.

Islam? I wouldn't mind if there were checks, I mean you'd have to make sure of what Volker talked about - Islam is a religion where there is no coherent interpretation of Qu'ran, because of the Islamic courts making the calls on a local level. As long as the terrorist doctrine (in itself rather incoherent, reading up on wiki I'd find Islamic law reasoning for Israel's existence as a state, which the terrorists fail to consider, for example, but it's possible). So if it's made sure that a dangerous (terrorist) doctrine is not taught? Sure, why not. And trust me, there are "safe" (in terms of not vowing to kill infidels) doctrines in Islam, especially in European countries. I wouldn't mind Islam taught in school under the caveat I just mentioned.

Anti-theism is a problem, because I generally think that the only anti- things that I would allow taught in schools are Antisthenes (a Greek philosopher) and anti-matter biggrin . In general I am anti anything anti.
  9. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think satanist doctrine is known well enough to assess it. The opinion of mine is not, but my knowledge is limited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In Norway, Islam is taught -- like all the other religions -- in the 'religion' class. I thought it was the same in most countries with similar school systems? Are some of you saying that schools in the western world somehow DON'T teach Islam?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I don't think Islam is taught in Polish schools, but I don't know if it's legally disallowed or there is just not enough teachers to make that possible. Islam isn't very popular in Poland, as a religion, but Islamic clergy and community is working very closely with the Christian community in terms of general religious distribution, as in: when there was the idea (heavily criticized by the general community) to build a mosque in Warsaw, the Christian majority - as high as the Catholic archbishop of Warsaw vehemently *defended* the right of Muslims to have a mosque in the city. And it works the other way around, in general - on a contact level - the religious community, with the notable exception of radical right-wing parties/organizations - is quite ecumenic.
  11. Islam as all world religions is a returning subject in religious education, both rc and pr, as well as in philosophy here in Germany.
    Religious education for Islamic children is, as stated above - in the works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

First of all, I think your examples are quite farfetched in this circumstance, so I don't really see the point in debating on that premise.

Is Islam better then? Imagine that about 50% of schools in your country have Muslims working full-time as school counsellors, who will inspire and influence the decisions kids make and will instil their beliefs and talk to them about private issues and they'll regularly arrange field trips to mosques to instil their religious values and beliefs into kids. Sure, parents can decline the field trips (they have no control over the counselling though), but many parents won't really bother declining or they'll let the kids attend so they won't feel left out. To be comparable to the Australian situation there would be no or few alternatives.

Thor wrote
    Second, it isn't really relevant either, because no one is forcing anyone to participate in anything here. It's an innocent play with Christian themes, and it's up to the parents whether they want to attend or not.

It's very relevant that you try to step outside of your own head for a moment and try to see the situation as a non-Christian, because the point under discussion is whether this guy has a valid reason to feel concerned. And for the 377th time, this isn't just about a single permission slip. (I've bolded this sentence in the hope that you might read it this time)

Thor wrote
    Again, I think you're making much more out of this than what it really is. There's no grand conspiracy here.

I never said there was a conspiracy. Christians are open about their agenda, and they openly propagandize and indoctrinate.

Btw, I never meant to make a huge deal out of it, I just wanted to show you that this guy had a valid reason for concern and annoyance, but you don't seem willing to look at the issue from his perspective, hence this needless debate ensued.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think Islam is taught in Polish schools, but I don't know if it's legally disallowed or there is just not enough teachers to make that possible.

Seriously? I can't believe that Islam isn't somehow part of the syllabus of the religion subject (or variations thereof) in Poland.
    I am extremely serious.