• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In many parts of Europe Christianity is about as old as is Islam in Arabia and Northern Africa. Just to give things a little perspective.

Islam developed in a "primitive" tribal context as opposed to Chirstianity that was born into the world of the Hellenistic Eastern Roman Empire. Islam had to defend itself by means of force from the beginning and would later spread by way of force. So force was an inherent part of Islam. That could have changed druring the Moorich period, that actually was the Islamic Renaissance. Sadly the fundamentalists in Bagdad took over and the Moorish Renaissance never turned into a true Enlightenment.
    Force and violence became part of Christianity that day it turned into the official Roman religion. But the Hellenistic fundaments never eroded and made movements like that of Saint Francis possible throughout history. Sadly there have been no such movements in the history of Islam.
    Nevertheless I tend to side with Thor in this debate.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. This is precisely why I am telling people to look at the historical context. The Muslim Arabs were, at the beginning of their religion, in constant defense and defense understood in a military way. So Jihad, as a duty of a pious Muslim, is the duty to give his life in defense of their religion.

Slowly, there are uproot movements appearing in Islam, but they have to really take flight to actually reform the religion.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014
    Religion and reform are always a troubled couple. Thankfully, there IS a development for most of them (some faster than others).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    I think that's another rather farfetched hypothesis.

It's a hypothetical scenario that's meant to help you understand the in my opinion easily understandable frustration that the guy feels. Hypothetical scenarios aren't meant to be realistic. One of the most famous hypothetical scenarios, the Trolley Problem, is ridiculously far fetched, but that doesn't invalidate it in any way.

Thor wrote
    Societies will always be arranged around the nation's state religion in some form or fashion, and then exceptions are formed based on that -- to accomodate everyone (at least in the free world).

To accommodate everyone as fairly as possible, our public schools should be neutral ground, and people with religious rather than educational agendas should be weeded out whenever possible. Even our Nordic countries with state religions are striving towards this ideal. I find it curious how Australia and the US, countries without state religions, seem to have so many problems with Christians trying to get their views into public schools.

Thor wrote
    I read it perfectly the first time, and I disagree with your assessment. I think this is indeed about a single permission slip. Nothing more, nothing less. The parent in this case simply used it as a springboard for a little 'trolling' against a religion he doesn't share.

That's your own prejudice talking. You are not a mind-reader, so perhaps you shouldn't decide what other people's motives are. I don't see why he would even need to attach a serious preface like that, if all he cared about was the comedic 'trolling'. And since I can sympathize with his introductory mini-rant, I find it rather easy to accept that his motives are related to his preface criticisms.

Thor wrote
    That's your assessment. I do not share it.

We must be using different dictionaries, because by using my definitions I haven't said anything controversial.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find any common ground with you on this guy, so I'll stop trying.

Thor wrote
    The fault is usually never in the religion itself, but in the people who interpret it to the extreme -- whether Christians or Muslims or whatever.

Do you say the same when people do good in the name of religion, i.e. that their good actions never have anything to do with their religion? Or does religion always win, no matter what any of their followers do?

Anyway, I always it baffling when people express such views. If a scriptural text tells people to kill homosexuals and witches and endorses slavery, then it doesn't take extreme interpretations to take the text to mean that one should kill homosexuals and witches and that slavery is a-ok. There are always outs of course when people want to ignore parts of their scripture, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the Bible (and hence Christianity) would have been and would have done a whole lot better without these sickening verses.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014
    Next time a fanatic Jihadist blows up a bunch of kids (which will sadly happen sooner than we want to think) tell their mothers about the history of Islam and their initial good intentions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Good to know there's a thriving Greek industry in producing straw men. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey plindboe, we had moved on to Islam now. Keep up with the flow of discussion! wink

Seriously, though, we won't see eye to eye on that issue (nor in the chosen rhetoric for debate), so it's probably futile to discuss it further.

plindboe wrote
    Anyway, I always it baffling when people express such views. If a scriptural text tells people to kill homosexuals and witches and endorses slavery, then it doesn't take extreme interpretations to take the text to mean that one should kill homosexuals and witches and that slavery is a-ok. There are always outs of course when people want to ignore parts of their scripture, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the Bible (and hence Christianity) would have been and would have done a whole lot better without these sickening verses.

I'll be the first to admit that there are questionable passages in all religious texts, and they should always be brought up for scrutiny and criticism as society develops. Much of the anti-gay attitudes in various religions sicken me, for example. But that doesn't in any way invalidate the value of the religion, IMO. You'll have to evaluate the totality of it, as well as the way the texts are interpreted and acted upon.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Next time a fanatic Jihadist blows up a bunch of kids (which will sadly happen sooner than we want to think) tell their mothers about the history of Islam and their initial good intentions.

It's not something we should tell the victims' families, but the perpretrators' society, I'm afraid.
  5. Thor wrote
    Hey plindboe, we had moved on to Islam now. Keep up with the flow of discussion! wink

Seriously, though, we won't see eye to eye on that issue (nor in the chosen rhetoric for debate), so it's probably futile to discuss it further.

plindboe wrote

I'll be the first to admit that there are questionable passages in all religious texts, and they should always be brought up for scrutiny and criticism as society develops. Much of the anti-gay attitudes in various religions sicken me, for example. But that doesn't in any way invalidate the value of the religion, IMO. You'll have to evaluate the totality of it, as well as the way the texts are interpreted and acted upon.

And that's very much the point. Unless you're right-wing crazy, nobody endorses slavery and urges to kill homosexuals in today religion except (in the latter case only) radical Islamic extremists. But generally those passages (as much of the original Torah law) is not anymore applied to everyday life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Good to know there's a thriving Greek industry in producing straw men. wink

Michael, i am not sure i understand your phrase here but by looking around a bit, it doesn't seem like something very positive, now does it? Unless i am misunderstanding you, maybe next time you might try to avoid easy generalizations about Greece, and the financial status 'cause it's getting very tiring.

Maybe answer directly to my argument instead of a wise general comment that we simple men don't understand, especially since English is not our mother Language? Adding the 'wink' next to something of spite doesn't make it less spiteful.

It's very convenient to judge from the comfy and serene edge of the world, let's talk again when Jihadists decide to blow Australians up right next door of you, and when financial crisis hits you in the ass over there (something i don't wish for you in any case).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Ah. A tripwire in the religion thread. I should have known better than to bait. dizzy

A 'straw man' is a flimsy stereotype, mostly used as the basis for argument. For example, there are already 3 straw men in this exchange:
    All of Islam reduced to jihadists.
    All of Greece reduced to insolvency and Mediteranean passion.
    All of Australia reduced to blissful financial utopia and larrikinism. (Jihad-free, at that.)

Forgive my characterising you as a Greek -- if you think of the way I talk about Norway and Thor, or Martijn and the Netherlands, I have a tendency to refer to the person by way of the country. I was in effect criticising you (softening it with a wink), not your country, and not because of anything about your country. I apologise for the intent, and all that was unintended that was subsequently felt. It wasn't spiteful, but I feel you were using a straw man in the face of fairly reasoned discussion, which is now ironically what you're accusing me of.

To that point -- I will not bring up the historical context of Islam to explain to the survivors of a bomb the greater system of actions within which we are all caught the day after the bomb goes off. But some time later, a few months, a year, if it seems appropriate to make the point, I will make point. Anything else affirms the bomber's view of the world, which should have exited the stage with them.
  7. Yeah, I would do the same and I would do the same in the perpretators' society. It also bemuses me how the rhetorics of Jihadists isn't discussed at all in the general public. I believe it would give us a lot of insight in the thinking. There are unsolved issues between the generally understood West and Islam. And nobody thinks to work THAT out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014
    Fuck the Catholic church. Seriously.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    It also bemuses me how the rhetorics of Jihadists isn't discussed at all in the general public. I believe it would give us a lot of insight in the thinking. There are unsolved issues between the generally understood West and Islam. And nobody thinks to work THAT out.

To me the moral rhetoric isn't necessarily that revealing. An economic interpretation for example -- the rich exploiting the poor, and using an 'ism' as a way to make death seem worthy -- would say it's about socio-economic inequity and finding a way to fight modern wars against superior powers, elements that are less stressed in the rhetoric compared to the moral critique.

(I guess much in the same way, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Anders Brevick on the 'why' of what he did. Clues to the why may be sprinkled in what he said.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It also bemuses me how the rhetorics of Jihadists isn't discussed at all in the general public. I believe it would give us a lot of insight in the thinking. There are unsolved issues between the generally understood West and Islam. And nobody thinks to work THAT out.

To me the moral rhetoric isn't necessarily that revealing. An economic interpretation for example -- the rich exploiting the poor, and using an 'ism' as a way to make death seem worthy -- would say it's about socio-economic inequity and finding a way to fight modern wars against superior powers,

I read that as 'superhero' powers for a moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Steven wrote
    Fuck the Catholic church. Seriously.

What, is the world running in reverse with regards to civil rights now? Between this and the "no gay propaganda" Russian bullshit. Fuck me. slant
  10. Thor wrote

I read that as 'superhero' powers for a moment.

That would wrap up the zeitgeist in one nice neat bundle, admittedly. (Since the superhero genre is the dominant modern incarnation of the action movie, and the action movie is typically where American shows its colours to the rest of the world. Sam Raimi's flag-waving in Spiderman.)
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

To me the moral rhetoric isn't necessarily that revealing. An economic interpretation for example -- the rich exploiting the poor, and using an 'ism' as a way to make death seem worthy -- would say it's about socio-economic inequity and finding a way to fight modern wars against superior powers, elements that are less stressed in the rhetoric compared to the moral critique.

(I guess much in the same way, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Anders Brevick on the 'why' of what he did. Clues to the why may be sprinkled in what he said.)

I mean the keywords used by jihadists. I guess it's some of an education case. Funnily enough, it was nicely addressed in one of the first scenes of Body of Lies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote

Oops. Too slow. *sniff*

But to contribute a little, I'm not a fan of Islam either. The Muslim world hasn't really had their age of enlightenment yet though, so these days Christianity seems more peaceful in comparison. Were all things but the religions equal, I'm not sure which religion would produce worse effects. Muhammed was a conquering warlord though, and there's a significant emphasis on war in Islam, while Jesus was pretty much a pacifist communist hippie, ahead of his times in some his views, so it wouldn't surprise me if Islam is inherently more violent.

Thor wrote

I concede that I should probably have avoided such charged words, even though I think my usage was valid, but let's drop that discussion for now. Was getting a bit frustrating, but you are still my favourite Norwegian. beer

Thor wrote

I agree that one shouldn't oversimplify and only focus on whatever bits is in line with one's bias. All religions have good and bad elements, and they all need to be taken into account to reach a proper estimate of the religion in question. Overall I find the Abrahamic religions harmful, but I fully acknowledge that there are some positives in all three religions that secular society doesn't always manage to do equally well. For instance, churches often function very well as community centres and some have really perfected the art of charity collecting, in ways that the rest of society can learn much from. These religions also provide the ultimate death denying fantasies, giving people hope that they'll be with their loved ones forever after death in a wonderful after life. Whether the hope is false or not, the joy and comfort the fantasies bring are very real.

But I could write books on all the harm stemming from these religions, so I certainly think that mankind would move forward by leaving these archaic beliefs behind. The hate and intolerance the scriptures promote (against homosexuals, other perceived sodomites, nonbelievers, heretics, blasphemers, dissenters and even non-existent groups like witches); the needless sexual guilt that has plagued our societies throughout history; the rejection of skepticism and the emphasis on dogma and faith as core tenets; the countless false claims concerning the natural world, that people are expected to take on faith, thereby making them pigheaded and resistant to scientific advances; the black-and-white thinking (for instance the sharp division between good and evil); simplistic thinking (just look at the 10 commandments); the us vs. them thinking (which when combined with the concepts of good and evil, essentially permits just about any cruelty towards 'them'); the archaic, meaningless and often fucked up moral teachings (scape-goating, blood sacrifice, the idea of Hell and that non-believers deserve everlasting torture, inheritable sin and guilt, cutting off part of your children's genitals is good, might makes right, put your religion before your family, selling your daughter into slavery is fine too, oh and under no circumstance must you boil a goat in its mother's milk); the superstitions (demons causing diseases, talking animals, unicorns, witches, giants, fire-breathing monsters, the dead rising from their graves); the conservative tendencies that throughout history and to this day holds back progress; the countless ways that scriptures can be twisted to support any agenda; the divine permission that we can do with the planet as we please; the way it depreciates humanity and our current existence (Earth is pretty much a dirty doormat that people wipe their feet on before they go and live blissfully, forever in an infinitely better life).

We see these negative effects throughout the world every time we turn on the news, and whenever we open a history book we read about the genocides over doctrinal disagreements, the wrongs done by the Church, for example ridiculous things like opposing and holding back anaesthetics and analgesics for decades (because suffering brings us closer to God), torturing and threatening people for disagreeing with the geocentric model, and recently causing the deaths of millions (essentially destroying whole countries), by aggressively and deceptively campaigning against condoms. I don't think the good things that religions do, comes anywhere close to justifying these wrongs.

Anyway, there are of course interpretations and translations that make it possible to reject most of the negative stuff, so many Christians today are quite harmless and wonderful and easygoing people to be around. But the thing is that as long as all the sickening verses are kept intact, harmful interpretations will inevitably continue, and even though we like to think that our societies have moved past the point where certain archaic verses (say, the ones pertaining to slavery) no longer causes any harm, we only need a societal relapse before these extremely harmful interpretations could gain a foothold again. Get rid of the garbage and keep the good verses, the beneficial beliefs, the sense of community and the beautiful poetry, and you'll hear no more complaints from me about your religion.

I think I'll stop now before I've actually written a book.

Peter smile

PS.Sorry for the long post. I'm too busy these days to write posts like this, but my brain decided that I should procrastinate, instead of doing actual work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If it's any comfort, most religions have come a long way since their inception. It's a sloooooow process, but there is an evolution (moreso in Christianity than in Islam, although the latter too).
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Will you marry me, Peter? love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Will you marry me, Peter? love

Are you suggesting gay marriage in the middle of a discussion about Islam? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I see the irony of that was not lost on you, excellent. biggrin
  14. I don't think that the notion of afterlife deprecates humanity in any way. It does deprecate the everyday life, stemming from the hardships of life. It's all about hope, rather than anything.

I think that religion taken seriously speaks to a certain element of humanity that, I would argue, anti-theism deprecates on its own. While endorsing rationality is good, we aren't just rational beings. On a psychological level there are psychologists through out the history of the science that actually tried to endorse the spiritual self, as William James called it. Interestingly the psychologists endorsing the irrational/spiritual aspect were open agnostics and atheists. There was Carl Gustav Jung, who said that anyone rejecting spirituality basically needs therapy.

I don't mean to say that atheists/antitheists can't be spiritual. I am very much OK, in fact happy, to read Neil deGrasse-Tyson's statement that looking at stars gives him a spiritual, metaphysical feeling through his knowledge that that's were we come from (his beautiful "we're star-stuff" statement). This is a very fair enough moment. But if we emphasize only what's rational in our lives, we're, I believe, ignoring a big part of our mental composure as human beings.

As I said in a largely ignored post, I believe that the metaphysical basis of our personal philosophies, because we have metaphysics even if we choose to repress it. It's a funny hypocritical element of what's called the analytic school of philosophy, which I can shortly explain: Analytic philosophy is a radically logical method of dissecting language, with language being regarded as the basic form of describing our experience. So rather than writing about our experience, trying to describe it (philosophy has stopped with telling us how to live ages ago, right now it's more about telling us how things are and what do they mean, the latter if you are s hermeneutist), they try to dissect these statements, often with disparaging (in a very polite way though, as the style goes) statements about what is fleeting and not easily definiable - metaphysics.

This leads to the big hypocrisy of this radically rational (called often neopositivist) philosophy. Metaphysics can indeed be very blurry in terms of the terms used (so, we are writing about ontology, the theory of being, but WHAT is a being? Is it ONLY humans? What is a non-being, a me on in Greek? Does it exist or does it not, as Parmenides said back in ancient Greece? Simmel and Dilthey talk about life, what IS life? What is Geist? Hegel wrote two volumes about the evolution of the Spirit, but never really says openly what it is). Even a carefully anti-metaphysical philosoher was misunderstood by the analytic philosophers, because of his rather difficult language, which gets simpler if you realize his method, that is reworking everyday life language, sometimes even informal notions, into philosophical technical terms (often with long passages of etymological analysis, in his later works). But then, with the focus of language, a philosopher like Wittgenstein (the Treatise, of course, is a very general description of logical laws defining reality) or Rudolf Carnap don't really say why language and what language is. They don't seem to actually refer to philosophers who tried defining language and communication (Plato, Aristotle at the earliest; Humboldt, Hegel, hell, even Heidegger!). This could be described, and that is how I see it, as metaphysics being a realm of keywords that the philosopher uses to describe the way he defines his world.

I know this post is overlong already, but there is something more I have to add here, hopefully in a more logical way than before. It is a pet-peeve of mine. From my experience with philosophy and I am getting constantly more of that, metaphysics is the overarching element of our philosophy. The keywords we choose to use (God, Reason, Nature, Geist, Life, yes, even Language) is the basis of our definition of reality and our personal world (subjectivist, I know but Nietzche's and Heidegger's arguments are very convincing in this regard and, in fact, seminal for the modern world-view). What does that give us? We can have whatever ethical system we have, but it's still rooted in the keyword-based metaphysical approach, the definition. It's the pre-understanding (as Heidegger and his followers as Ricoeur and Gadamer would say) that informs our actions. This can't be defined universally (socially?), which leads us to Nietzsche's famous "God is dead" statement. We create and find meanings on our own. And, Nietzsche would hurry to add, that's the way it should be, even if it gets us lost in the world.

Sorry I talked so long about this aspect, but back to my argument. It's relevant to where I find a certain problem with anti-theism: from the statements I read reason replaces God, which is fine and dandy as long as you openly admit it. And I don't find they do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote: I think that religion taken seriously speaks to a certain element of humanity that, I would argue, anti-theism deprecates on its own.

In what way? Endorsing rationality and speaking against irrational beliefs (i.e. anti-theism) does not in anyway deprecates the importance of spiritual experiences. It merely places those experiences within a rational framework which doesn't appeal to supernatural explanations. We are, partly, irrational beings living in a rational world.

I don't mean to say that atheists/antitheists can't be spiritual. I am very much OK, in fact happy, to read Neil deGrasse-Tyson's statement that looking at stars gives him a spiritual, metaphysical feeling through his knowledge that that's were we come from (his beautiful "we're star-stuff" statement). This is a very fair enough moment. But if we emphasize only what's rational in our lives, we're, I believe, ignoring a big part of our mental composure as human beings.

See above. Rationality does not in anyway require us to ignore the importance of spiritual experience. Rational thinking will, in fact, tell us that spirituality is, or at least can be, an extremely important part of life that doesn't require unjustifiable claims about the external world to either explain, enjoy or gain insight from these experiences.

we have metaphysics even if we choose to repress it.

Depends what you mean by metaphysics? uhm I don't feel like I'm repressing anything.

Sorry I talked so long about this aspect, but back to my argument. It's relevant to where I find a certain problem with anti-theism: from the statements I read reason replaces God, which is fine and dandy as long as you openly admit it. And I don't find they do.

See, now you've lost me... again. Isn't admitting that kinda the whole point of rationality? confused (At least when applied to theism.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    If it's any comfort, most religions have come a long way since their inception. It's a sloooooow process, but there is an evolution (moreso in Christianity than in Islam, although the latter too).

Indeed, religions are fortunately changing, and I think the driving force is our changing societies, which forces religions to adjust, albeit always lagging some decades behind and constantly resisting. I always get the mental image of a puppy that doesn't want to be taken for a walk, so the owner has to keep yanking its leash.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Will you marry me, Peter? love

Ooh, sailor! moon

Btw, speaking of gay marriage, this video is essential watching.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think that the notion of afterlife deprecates humanity in any way.

I agree, and I didn't mean to imply that. The way the Bible depreciates humanity is with all the verses about us being evil sinners at our core, who are nothing without God and who are justly deserving of everlasting torment if we reject God.

PawelStroinski wrote
    It does deprecate the everyday life, stemming from the hardships of life. It's all about hope, rather than anything.

An eternal life in a perfect paradise makes everything about our current existence insignificant in comparison. All the beauty, joy and love we experience in this lifetime is nothing compared to eternity. The only significance that this earthly existence holds is about what belief you end up "choosing", as it will determine your eternal fate. But additionally the Bible finds plenty of other ways to depreciate our current existence; by calling nature itself evil and also the whole notion that all of this was created with us in mind and for us to use however we see fit clearly belittles and disregards our dependency and the enormity, complexities and beauty of Nature. It's not all about hope, because one can instil hope without exacerbating your current situation. Hope is a part of it though, and is in itself a positive thing, but it seems for every positive message in the Bible, there's a bunch of negative ones as well.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that religion taken seriously speaks to a certain element of humanity that, I would argue, anti-theism deprecates on its own. While endorsing rationality is good, we aren't just rational beings. On a psychological level there are psychologists through out the history of the science that actually tried to endorse the spiritual self, as William James called it. Interestingly the psychologists endorsing the irrational/spiritual aspect were open agnostics and atheists. There was Carl Gustav Jung, who said that anyone rejecting spirituality basically needs therapy.

Humans aren't perfect creatures, and pointing out our weaknesses doesn't diminish us in any way, because it tells us exactly what we are. To diminish something you have to make something appear less than it actually is. Irrationality (e.g. distress, inadequate thinking, strong biases and feelings, mental deficiencies etc.) has a very strong tendency to lead to wrong conclusions, false beliefs and poor decision making. That we have realized the pitfalls of irrationality has been the essential step that has propelled us forward and increased our understanding of the Universe immensely. Without this, science as we know it would never have existed. It has made us stronger, not diminished.

That said, recognizing the fact that something has pitfalls is not the same as rejecting it or not being able to appreciate it. What the awareness tells us is that these irrational thoughts and feelings should be handled delicately and shouldn't be expressed, acted out or used to form beliefs without careful consideration, to avoid hurting yourself or others or getting a distorted view of reality. Consequentially it doesn't make us any less irrational, deep down, and doesn't turn us into robots or Mr. Spock, but it provides us with a filter so we'll act and express ourselves in a manner that will be conducive to a healthy and happy life.

PawelStroinski wrote

Anti-religious would probably be a better label for me, as it's not really with theism my beef lies. Anyway, not sure I'm understanding the problem. I'd say that reason will dismantle theism, as theism is an irrational belief. If that's the same as 'reason replaces God', then I don't see the problem with "admitting" it.

Peter smile

PS. I just cried, watching an episode of Doctor Who. Nothing rational about that reaction at all. But it makes me appreciate it on a whole other level and makes it memorable.
  15. Admitting to irrationality rarely happens on a discursive level. The point of spirtuality, really, is that it can't be often rationally defined.

Metaphysics is hard to define partly because the origins of the term itself is quite vague: Aristotle's students, after they collected his writings on nature (Physics and so on, it has to be stressed, that it's writings on nature, because the Greek word physis was basically translated to Latin as "natura", which is why for a very long time physicists were called "natural philosophers" or "naturalists") couldn't find a name for them, so they called it ta meta ta physika (after physics, which once led me to make a joke that "metaphysical love" is having a cigarette after sex), but the way I define it (based on my understanding of Ludwig Wittgenstein) is:

The physical realm is the set of logically connected sentences describing reality, as Wittgenstein states: the world is every (logically and "realistically") true statement we say. Beyond that lies metaphysics, which could be argued to be not the description and explanation of the world, but our definition of the world. If the physical concerns itself with how things work, the metaphysical is finding the answer to what it is.

Now, as I believe, there is nothing more personal than defining the world we live in (which concerns itself with what is called "our own world", that is the world as we perceive it and fill it with our experience and our emotions). In that case the definition mostly isn't something we make in a rational way. Reading philosophy may prepare a more or less subtle and logical arguments for defending our personal definitions, but it's still rationalizing something that we rather feel out than speculate on. In this case loving the stars because the their chemical components are the source of our life is a combination of our knowledge (which can be philosophical, can be scientific, as the case of deGrasse-Tyson shows, but at a very high level physics and mathematics becomes a sort of philosophy) is on the basic level as justified as what you call "unjustifiable claims".

It's something I want to stress strongly: as much as the concept of science and falsifiability (to use a criticized, I know, notion), the concept of theory and hypothesis, is, in case of the physical approach and our intellectual capability the basic and most fair and honest way to express our knowledge about the world, for our basic conduct in life, it's not everything and science, of course, never states (unless we are talking social sciences, which sometimes look for a program to solve certain social problems, but that's when it stops being science and starts being politics, I'd argue). Our basic conduct should, of course, be as rational as we can get, but there is an emotional aspect to it and that's where the metaphysical foundation of our personal philosophy kicks in.

I am a proponent of hermeneutics, which is called the philosophy of understanding. Ever since Nietzsche, Dilthey and later Heidegger, there is the notion that we have a pre-conceived vision of the world we live in and what we try to do is understand the world as it appears to us, while changing the vision, but we are still trying to understand what's happening and act upon that understanding. It's difficult to describe in less convoluted way (Heidegger himself is very convoluted at times), but the way I see it is that our existence, our everyday functioning, is shaped by the pre-conceived vision we apply to our actions. These actions themselves are elements of our understanding. Basically every philosophy asking "what does it mean?" could be called hermeneutics. Because it's about finding the meaning: of works of art (it's a very important methodology of humanities!) and, in fact, our very lives and reality itself. Nietzsche of course, stops a bit earlier, stating that we are left on our own to find the meaning of our lives on our own.

In that case, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, religion is as justified as anything rational. It speaks to emotions, it can influence our actions positively (it did quite a few times, but the media choose not to discuss that bit recently), there is that possibility which you called genuinely good advice. I feel it great that atheism and antitheism found a voice and can speak publicly, but I'd like there to be a bit more respect for religious thinking. It's hard to understand even for religious people, it's not making things as easy as you may think they are. But there is a value to that. I appreciate and generally accept all rational arguments, but keep that little irrational element to myself. Call me naive, but I think there is that bit that may be just that bit necessary in this world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Unfortunately as usual it's extremely difficult to make sense of most of what you say, but, again, here goes:

The physical realm is the set of logically connected sentences describing reality, as Wittgenstein states: the world is every (logically and "realistically") true statement we say. Beyond that lies metaphysics, which could be argued to be not the description and explanation of the world, but our definition of the world. If the physical concerns itself with how things work, the metaphysical is finding the answer to what it is.

So, as a non-religious person, I am repressing that what we do not know? confused

In this case loving the stars because the their chemical components are the source of our life is a combination of our knowledge (which can be philosophical, can be scientific, as the case of deGrasse-Tyson shows, but at a very high level physics and mathematics becomes a sort of philosophy) is on the basic level as justified as what you call "unjustifiable claims".

How is believing in something that cannot be tested nor proven under strict scientific conditions as justifiable as the belief -that is the practical knowledge gained from scientific methods- that stars are largely made from hydrogen? You seem to be playing an extremely slippery word game here.

In that case, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, religion is as justified as anything rational.

Justified in what terms? The unjustifiable I'm referring to is, largely, core religious beliefs, basic religious (and spiritual) claims that fail to stand up to scrutiny. This is what I mean by unjustifiable claims. These aren't just feelings and vague philosophical ideas, these are specific beliefs about reality that are sold in a quick and easy pill to swallow.

But if you mean justifiable in terms of giving people comfort, then even with your hypothetical benignity, religion at best provides bad reasons for doing good things. Religion would be the best of all things were it not for its particular truth claims and ass-backwards morals.

I feel it great that atheism and antitheism found a voice and can speak publicly, but I'd like there to be a bit more respect for religious thinking.

I do think we can learn a lot from religion, just as Peter mentioned the community aspect and organisation of charitableness, among other things. This is where I have genuine respect for religion. That said, a non-religious person such as myself finds great comfort and elation in music, arts, science, alcohol, drugs and naked bodies without any need to appeal to a higher purpose or being.
  16. I don't know what is your "metaphysical keyword", so I can't tell what you repress and what you don't repress. In other words, I can't tell (and I don't want to try before I get insight) how you define the world and what definition do you act upon. You may base it on reason and that's very much fine. Spirituality though isn't only elation.

Now, to the definition of beliefs... Belief doesn't have necessarily to stand to scrutiny at all. Wikipedia: "Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a conjecture or premise to be true". I think you are making the fallacy of thinking that belief and knowledge are on the same cognitive spectrum. They're not. If belief is (and the way I see it as well) a mental state, then it doesn't really compute to treat it as a scientific hypothesis. Because forming hypotheses is a process, not a different state, of the mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't know what is your "metaphysical keyword", so I can't tell what you repress and what you don't repress. In other words, I can't tell (and I don't want to try before I get insight) how you define the world and what definition do you act upon. You may base it on reason and that's very much fine. Spirituality though isn't only elation.

....okay.

Now, to the definition of beliefs... Belief doesn't have necessarily to stand to scrutiny at all. Wikipedia: "Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a conjecture or premise to be true". I think you are making the fallacy of thinking that belief and knowledge are on the same cognitive spectrum. They're not. If belief is (and the way I see it as well) a mental state, then it doesn't really compute to treat it as a scientific hypothesis. Because forming hypotheses is a process, not a different state, of the mind.

Again, slippery word game Pawel. Christianity at its core is about taking on faith the belief that a specific God really does exist and impregnated a virgin who really did then give birth to His only son. This is not merely a statement about one's mental state, it is implicitly a statement about reality and the external world. And it is an unjustifiable statement by its very definition, and therefore an unjustifiable belief, no matter how you view faith.

This is what I mean. Simple. Easy to understand. Written clearly.