• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    I have nothing against certain people, but I am totally opposed to their religion? confused Religion is a central aspect of most people's identity, or is it not?

If people have been taught from birth to believe a certain thing or to think a certain way, then I don't hold it against them personally one way or another. I won't think any less of someone as a human being because of their religion. But I will challenge and question that religion. Besides, if as you say, some people can claim to be Muslim but not have been to a mosque in a decade, that doesn't exactly make it a central aspect of their identity!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I have nothing against certain people, but I am totally opposed to their religion? confused Religion is a central aspect of most people's identity, or is it not?

Then STILL one speaks against the institute. Not the people.
    As the -highly charged but thoroughly accurate- analogy goes: I hate cancer. Do I therefore hate those who have to live with that disease? (Note -and yes, we've come so far that I feel the need to even explain this, what is to me selfevident- that I speak to the concept of aspects of identity. I am not directly comparing Islam to cancer. )

My experiance as a teacher is that the islamic community is as complex as any given religious community.

Much MORE complex, I would say, as there is no central authority.
    There are as many "valid" interpretations as there are tribes.
    Which is just part of the problem and one of the most important reasons why the politiocal aspects of islam are fully integral to the debate: political, sociological and ideological Islam overlap. Fully.

It's not about individuals. Or groups, even.
    It's about how Islam facilitates and pervades -much more easily than any other religion on Earth today- political and sociological life...which -as evidence shows time and again- is mostly dogmatic and repressive. If not all-out hostile.
    It is a truly legitimate concern.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    In that sense, I freely admit to being an Islamaphobe.

A phobia is defined as an irrational fear though. I'd describe my attitude towards Islam as a rational concern. We should invent a word for that.

Peter smile

Very true!
  2. The non-central aspect of Islam is the most worrying thing, indeed. I have voiced that many times.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Obviously, Islam has a largely political stance, as any religion creating a system of laws does, but still. If we don't look at things like Jihad for what they were in the historical context (as I said, it's originally a defensive war, not offensive, and the concept stems from the fact that Islam believers actually had to defend themselves (and ultimately prevail) from local tribes back in 7th Century.

The issue we have to deal with is that millions of Muslims today look at Jihad very differently. You can't simply ignore the problems in the current world by pointing to the 7th century. Additionally, when you listen to some of the most extreme Muslims out there today, they actually do think that the jihad they wage is about defending Islam. The best defense is a good offence after all.

Peter smile
  3. I am not ignoring current problems, I am hinting that the situation is way more complex that we think just sitting nicely on a message board. The west has many times fucked up the relations with the Arab world and that can't be denied either. The fact that the terrorists can influence people by using words like "Crusaders and Zionists" is the thing that we should *precisely* fight.

And uproot movements to reform the religion have either already started or will start soon. Concentrating only on the evil of Islam (or any religion whatsoever) muddles the issue at heart. Of course it's easy to pick a scapegoat, but what we don't look at is at the cynicism of the religious leaders of Islam or certain Christian groups (Catholicism or generally Lutheranism, Calvinism, Episcopalism, you-name-it, isn't exactly the Westboro Pieceofshit Church, now is it?). The attack is on faith itself, not on the politics of religion, this is, I think, wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited
    Criticism of beliefs held on a lack of evidence, ignorance, wishful thinking, indoctrination, skewed logic, ancient wisdom, or all of the above (i.e. religious faith), does not automatically equate to an 'attack', nor does the offence it causes to those in question give them any immunity to further scrutiny, particularly if those beliefs continue to cause problems.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

If people have been taught from birth to believe a certain thing or to think a certain way, then I don't hold it against them personally one way or another. I won't think any less of someone as a human being because of their religion. But I will challenge and question that religion. Besides, if as you say, some people can claim to be Muslim but not have been to a mosque in a decade, that doesn't exactly make it a central aspect of their identity!

I said it's central to most people. Also you could question if such people realy are Moslems.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Martijn wrote

My experiance as a teacher is that the islamic community is as complex as any given religious community.

Much MORE complex, I would say, as there is no central authority.
    There are as many "valid" interpretations as there are tribes.
    Which is just part of the problem and one of the most important reasons why the politiocal aspects of islam are fully integral to the debate: political, sociological and ideological Islam overlap. Fully.

I think that is not entirely true. There are the Sunni. For the them the Islamic University of Cairo is a distinct voice of authority. Then there are the Shiites who orientate themselves towards the Iranian clerics. A third group that comes to my mind are the Alevi who indeed do not listen to any voice of authority beyond their local community.

On second thought the Shiites living in Germany mostly do not answer to those mullah types, which is why they live here and not there.

Also I'd like to put into question if societies like those of Turkey, Egypt or Iran are adequately described as being "tribal".

smile Volker
  6. Apparently, religion's days are numbered thanks to the Internet...

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religio … _internet/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Apparently, religion's days are numbered thanks to the Internet...

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religio … _internet/

I hope so.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Inevitable really, given how easy it is to access information nowadays. But what's also inevitable is that religion will adapt, and you end up with very slippery definitions of 'faith' and 'god', definitions that are almost impossible to have a sensible discussion with. At least, outside of churches. Having been to a few church meetings, I can speak from experience that once those doors close, the fundamental core beliefs of traditional Christianity are alive and kicking.

There is at least one thing wrong with that article though: Neil deGrasse Tyson has never admitted to being an atheist, and clearly has no interest in getting involved in things like that unless he's asked the question. He promotes science, not atheism. So I'm not sure he would be too pleased with being referred to as an "atheist superstar". (Even though it's evident from his answers in interviews he doesn't believe in any specific deity or supreme being.)
  7. His stance on religion is quite interesting and hard to define. He's not anti-faith, he's anti-system. Also he admits that the most spiritual experience is looking at stars at night and realizing that he's formed of the same particles. So... that's DEFINITELy not a theist approach.

I don't think that the definition of "faith" is so slippery, if one accepts that it's more emotional and epistemological. I don't think even the most ardent theist would argue that gravity is something dependant on faith or something. The emotional aspect is something quite underrated when people try to perceive religion in a rational way. This is also partly why a discussion can't happen if we don't respect the simple fact of what is faith like, really...

When you talk to a very ardent theist and start questioning the existence of God, it's not that you win the discussion because he got angry with you and you had arguments. Rather consider what would you feel if someone questioned the existence of your girlfriend, because she's not with you during the discussion. This could get even more ridiculous:

"But hey, I can call her and she'll be here in 20 minutes, she exists!"
    "Last time I had a migraine, I prayed for 5 minutes and it was gone! God exists!"

Aaaaaaand how can one really argue with that, if it gets so much about emotions? smile And yes, I agree, this is downright stupid. The discussion between theism and atheism should be on totally different grounds, for a couple of reasons:

1. Trying to explain the lack of existence of God by scientific reasoning is not gonna work. Cognitive dissonance takes too long for that to happen and it's not something simple to deal with.
    2. Both sides have to admit that there IS relevance to religious and non-religious thinking. As there is religious ecumenism (trying to find agreement between several religious systems), there should be a dialogue based on mutual respect between atheists and antitheists. And antitheists liking certain theists doesn't cut it.

God's existence should be something that is agreed to disagree on, really. There HAVE to be certain systemic changes, indeed. The relationship between religion and science should be heavily discussed and it should be made a point on why is creationism rejected, etc. Separation of religion and state? Check.

But if someone thinks that reason trumps emotion... Not always. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    We need more cat perspectives in this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    Steven wrote
    We need more cat perspectives in this thread.

lol Cats fucking rule! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    I thought sharing this would be appropriate on this pagan holiday.

If this is how the CoE generally thinks, they can stay as far as I'm concerned. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. A Catholic clergyman would say exactly the same. Took them a while, but now evolution is part of the doctrine.
  9. Yes, Pawel, but what the Catholic Church suggests is a guided process with a predetermined outcome, intelligent design actually, although the CC chooses not to use that word. It's really just a variety of creatianism disguised as science.

Now, I don't think that the neodarwinistic doctrine is the epitome of wisdom. I do think that some of the questions, creationists ask are justified. (As many people in the scientific field agree. Neodarwinists are actually outsiders in the scientific community.) But every interpretation of evolution that postulates humanity as its predestined result is just not scientific. Its theology.

Volker
  10. It's a hard thing to tackle. I mean evolutionism today is not exactly how Darwin saw it, is it?

And could somebody remind me how does Darwin's work chronologically relate to the early work in genetics by Mendel? It's something I never quite researched properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A Catholic clergyman would say exactly the same. Took them a while, but now evolution is part of the doctrine.

Possibly.
    I just wish they'd say it as loudly, eloquently and publicly then as the priest in this excerpt.
  11. Depends who you get to discuss that. If you got a professor called MichaƂ Heller, who's a physicist (cosmologist) and a theologian at the same time (with scientific discoveries only making his faith stronger rather than declining it), he'd probably do something as public and loud, if slightly more subtle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014
  12. I'm reading a sociological classic (early 20th Century) called The Elementary Forms of Religious Life. It was written (to those who may not know) by one of the founders of sociology as a science - Emile Durkheim.

Now before you completely destroy the idea that a book that's in part founding for a certain science (and sociology and psychology may be, by radical natural scientists, regarded as the closest to their concept of what science is because of its large reliance on statistics, not to be seen in this book however), what is fascinating and what I actually like in this one is that texts that were written in late 19th/early 20th century do NOT lose their relevance both on an empirical and on a theoretical level. So you have modern writers discussing anomy (a-nomos, not connected to the law), the "division of work", collective consciousness is a relevant concept (me having to potentially deal with what is called cultural memory finds that particularly inspiring, I do wonder if Jung's concept of collective UNconscious doesn't relate here) by Durkheim (that I am reading now), or the concept of Gesellschaft (society) and Gemeinschaft (a group, probably Volker could help me translate this one better) by Ferdinand Toennies are still being analyzed and often confirmed.

This book makes a few interesting observations, whenever it leaves actually referring old (totemic) Australian beliefs and rituals, though it has to be noted that while it was on the decline for numerous other philosophical reasons (Wilhelm Dilthey being one of them), it still belongs to the idea that Darwinian theory of evolution is useful and relevant also in humanities, though not as strongly as it was 20-30 years earlier, when you would even analyze the history of literary genres in a Darwinian (!) fashion.

I think some points that Durkheim (the book WAS criticized, though I make a point in reading it first to get my own opinion and THEN read the introduction to see the points of others) makes are very interesting and could lead to a massive discussion. First, he regards (back in 1912) religion as a still important source of moral thought, more than anything. The basic role of religion is integration of social groups. Since he deals mostly with totemic religion, a single totem (for example a crocodile) unites every man (women and children were/are stilll disallowed to participate in rituals or even LOOK at sacred things, under capital punishment) unites everyone who belongs to the clan. As a sociologist, of course, Durkheim is not concerned with faith, but religion as an institution.

What may prove even more controversial is the biggest thing that I noticed. Durkheim claims that there is NO big difference between religious thought and scientific thought. In fact, the only major difference and that makes science on a higher cognitive level than religion is the methodology and empirical observation. But the logical principle of abstract combinations (sound is a wave vs. I was a bird) is the same. I think it can't be so easily rejected. He uses that to claim that philosophy and science wouldn't exist without religious thought before. The way of explanation, the methodology and observational principles changed. But, as Durkheim claims, the scientific logic is already in the religious thought, it's just not as prevalent and relevant, because at the end of the day it's not explaining reality (even if it ultimately does that, convincingly or not), but to unite a group having the same beliefs. In that way, and knowing Durkheim's thought, I am not going too far here, religious thought is one of the foundation stones of society in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Any homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic or 'alternative medicine' fans around here? I'm curious to hear your various thoughts and perhaps experiences, no matter how small.

(This thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask the question.)
  13. Nope, nope (though some treatment like that saved my dog's back once), nope and nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Any homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic or 'alternative medicine' fans around here? I'm curious to hear your various thoughts and perhaps experiences, no matter how small.

(This thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask the question.)

I've had some success with Vitamins in regards to a bladder infection (cranberry), cough (zinc), tumor elimination (variety of different ones).
    Accupuncture didn't work for me but I tried with my bad leg.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014 edited
    Vitamins and zinc, a mineral, are essential to our health (our bodies cannot produce them), so they don't count as 'alternative' since they are on firm evidence-based ground. Cranberry I'm not sure, I honestly haven't looked into it - but I'm not sure that counts either since it's not sold or advertised primarily as a medicine.

But acupuncture certainly is! Remember, "alternative medicine" is an umbrella term that describes unproven and, in many cases, disproven (for all intents and purposes) forms of complimentary or alternative medicines or treatments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure Cranberry has been shown to be very good for your urinary tract?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The problem is knowing which source or study to trust, but I'm sure cranberry will have least some health benefits given that it's a fruit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The problem is knowing which source or study to trust, but I'm sure cranberry will have least some health benefits given that it's a fruit.

I use it a lot as someone who has suffered gout in the past.