• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

MY.GOD! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven,

Just playing Devil's advocate here mate but what would you say to anyone suggesting perhaps you're not any better than those you so heartily oppose to? End of day, you both passionately defend your beliefs which are highly subjective since - knock on wood - nobody has gone up there (or down below, anyway) to check and come back to tell us the truth and we are all basically choosing what we want to believe and follow as real. How are you any different than any passionate Christian defending his beliefs?

wave

Well then you have again truly got the wrong end of the stick Demetris. You're as stubborn as I am, so I'm going to be able to convince you of otherwise. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Just a minor question - does anyone know how the elements that we know today, like iron, silicon etc (the BASIC elements) of which everything is made of, even the planets, were first formed? They're the simplest substances - all other compounds are their combinations or derivatives. So there must be a Creator who made them, the atoms they're composed of, the SUB atomic particles like electrons or protons. Or was everything just "automatic"? tongue

And how was the universe itself formed? When? How? Even the scientists don't know. All we have is theories. This is one of the many things for which I belive in the Creator.

A perfectly valid reason too, but not enough of a reason for me personally to base a strong belief on a creator since it still doesn't explain whom or what created the creator, it's an infinite regression. Scientists, unlike many religious people, are quick admit they simply do not know. This, for me, is not a reason to become religious.

So yes, you're absolutely right about the how and when the universe was formed; we have but theories, and that's it. I'm just amazed that religion hasn't looked at science and marveled at the infinitely more awe inspiring universe it describes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Steven wrote
    we have but theories, and that's it.

Such as atheism. wink biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    we have but theories, and that's it.

Such as atheism. wink biggrin

Atheism is simply a non-belief, that's it, nothing more to it. I guess you could call it a theory in its own right, but at least it's a theory based on sound reason rather than gut feeling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Just a minor question - does anyone know how the elements that we know today, like iron, silicon etc (the BASIC elements) of which everything is made of, even the planets, were first formed? They're the simplest substances - all other compounds are their combinations or derivatives. So there must be a Creator who made them, the atoms they're composed of, the SUB atomic particles like electrons or protons. Or was everything just "automatic"? tongue

And how was the universe itself formed? When? How? Even the scientists don't know. All we have is theories. This is one of the many things for which I belive in the Creator.

A perfectly valid reason too, but not enough of a reason for me personally to base a strong belief on a creator since it still doesn't explain whom or what created the creator, it's an infinite regression. Scientists, unlike many religious people, are quick admit they simply do not know. This, for me, is not a reason to become religious.

So yes, you're absolutely right about the how and when the universe was formed; we have but theories, and that's it. I'm just amazed that religion hasn't looked at science and marveled at the infinitely more awe inspiring universe it describes!

I didn't say it is a reason to become religious, I just expressed what is my own reason to hold the beliefs I do today. wink

And I don't think the "religion hasn't looked at science and marveled at the infinitely more awe inspiring universe it describes!" part is correct. I mean, at least in India (I don't know about other countries but it must surely be there too) I have read there were religious sages who expressed several hypotheses about some natural phenomenon and many of those have been proved correct by scientists today.

For example, in the book I mentioned above the stages of a human foetus inside its mother's womb have been described. And this was written thousands of years ago before people even thought about surgery!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And this was written thousands of years ago before people even thought about surgery!

Just a small historic note: this is not entirely correct. The ancient Egyptians were actually doing brain surgery well before that, and there is even some indications that neolithic man engaged in the practice! (Though the record does not reflect the number of surviving patients...).

I grant though that describing the stages of a human foetus suggest either a powerful logical and analytical mind... or a pretty sick practice of opening up women in various stages of pregnancy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But there are things you believe in. Maybe even put above yourself (see as transcendent), don't you? It may be even reason. mind, nature.

Belief and faith do not automatically imply a religious context.
    I believe that Man is a god in his own right, I have faith in Man's endurance and ingenuity.
    And as with all theories with results that cannot be fully and infinitely replicated, facts ofttimes belie my faith and belief...but that doesn't mean I will stop believing it!
    But that in no way can be construed as an argument towards theism or religion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    And this was written thousands of years ago before people even thought about surgery!

Just a small historic note: this is not entirely correct. The ancient Egyptians were actually doing brain surgery well before that, and there is even some indications that neolithic man engaged in the practice!

Yeah, I think I remember that from the corners of my mind which is connected to the History stuff I read in Grade X cheesy I was mentioning the history of India itself... and want to add it were also these ancient religious sages that allegedly developed Ayurveda.

I grant though that describing the stages of a human foetus suggest either a powerful logical and analytical mind... or a pretty sick practice of opening up women in various stages of pregnancy.

I did think about the latter... it's gruesome! shocked Though there's not much evidence I think it is unlikely because men of that age were supposedly very chivalrous towards women (aren't they even today? wink biggrin )
  1. It's not an argument towards neither religion or atheism. It's rather making them even. It's just a question of choice, not any evaluation.

Granted, there aren't fundamental atheists, but when we believe in something, sometimes it gets so deep into our identity, that we start to defend it as we were defending yourself. I guess with reason it is somewhat the same, though you of course won't kill somebody for Darwin or Max Planck.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

I didn't say it is a reason to become religious, I just expressed what is my own reason to hold the beliefs I do today. wink

No of course not, fair enough. I was just stating why I think those reasons aren't reasonable enough for me to become religious, which I think is more than fair if you are going to tell me your reasons for being religious. smile

And I don't think the "religion hasn't looked at science and marveled at the infinitely more awe inspiring universe it describes!" part is correct. I mean, at least in India (I don't know about other countries but it must surely be there too) I have read there were religious sages who expressed several hypotheses about some natural phenomenon and many of those have been proved correct by scientists today.

I highly doubt that early scholars looked at a leaf and surmised that it gets its energy from electromagnetic radiation by turning carbon dioxide and water into sucrose, glucose and starch to then be proved right by scientists in the 19th century.

An interesting hypothesis made by religion is that the Earth was created 6000 years ago, but geology has pretty much thrown that idea out the window thankfully. All evidence suggests the Earth is a lot older than that, and that's not just something I've blindly accepted on faith from my peers, I have studied basic geology and the predicted age of Earth. Fascinating stuff! (Although geology can be a little anal at times, which is why I'm glad I'm not doing it anymore. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I highly doubt that early scholars looked at a leaf and surmised that it gets its energy from electromagnetic radiation by turning carbon dioxide and water into sucrose, glucose and starch to then be proved right by scientists in the 19th century.

They didn't of course, but it was one of the first steps towards modern science.

An interesting hypothesis made by religion is that the Earth was created 6000 years ago, but geology has pretty much thrown that idea out the window thankfully. All evidence suggests the Earth is a lot older than that, and that's not just something I've blindly accepted on faith from my peers, I have studied basic geology and the predicted age of Earth. Fascinating stuff!

Even renowned not-so-old scientists made such mistakes, it is not religion's fault. After all the mulling over, and thinking over facts for years and years did scientists come out with facts. Read about the experiments about abiogenesis vs. biogenesis where a sweaty nightshirt was put in a corner and when some mice began to live in it, they thought they were produced by the shirt. So what's religion's fault in this? And eventually these very experiments led to Miller and Urey's experiments which provided scientific proof for abigenesis. Had the previous experiments, however funny they sound, not been performed, there wouldn't have been advances in the field.

And I want to add that the main motive of religion is to instruct people to live a life of values. Whether or not you want to believe the stories (there are actually places here where they say God had incarnated, I have seen the prison where Lord Krishna was supposedly born, but again that depends on what you wish to believe as there's not any scientific evidence), if you understand their morals it definitely helps to become a better human being. IMHO wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So are you saying you're a better human being than me because you are religious? Obviously, I know you're not saying that, and I respect your intelligence in this matter, but I make this point because religion wouldn't help me to become a better person. I've studied religion and nothing in it has taught me better moral views than those that I already hold. I already have an ingrained sympathy and caring nature for my fellow man without resorting to religion. On the flipside, I think I can agree with you in the sense that it can make other people better human beings, I think there is certainly truth to that.

I, like Martijn, believe that Man is a god in his own right, and I have faith in Man's endurance and ingenuity (to quote him there). I believe goodness doesn't need to be taught by religion, but then of course shouldn't necessarily not be taught by religion. It's a handy basic guide for the masses you could say.

(Theologians shifted the focus of religion from an Ultimate Truth to a life value system because they knew they had to if they wanted to stay afloat in a world of scientific advancements.)
  2. It has taken Church a lot to acknowledge the scientifical advancements and we all know that kinda too well. Let's don't forget that Copernicus's classical book had its place on the infamous Index of Prohibited Books (Index librorum prohibitorum) and even Galileo faced burning on stake for DEFENDING that theory. (A famous anecdote says that after rebutting this on the trial, Galileo left the building saying "And yet it moves").

I think religion was always really about value system and theologians didn't just shift focus. Religion stopped explaining cosmology, this is a fact, but don't forget that moral interpretation was an important method even in Medieval times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, very true. I didn't mean that religion as a value system was never an important facet of religion before scientific advancements just to make that clear. Of course, it was, but I think it's safe to say that it taught and emphasized an Ultimate Truth to a much greater degree before these advancements came about, and it still does in many religious circles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    So are you saying you're a better human being than me because you are religious? Obviously, I know you're not saying that, and I respect your intelligence in this matter, but I make this point because religion wouldn't help me to become a better person.

How did you infer that? I never said that, nor I will. It doesn't take religion to be a good human, but yes, people who are on the wrong side might learn some good values from religion and change their ways. Yes, yes, I know next you're going to ask me to point out how many terrorists and mass muderers have changed their life due to religion; I know they haven't. Nothing can force anyone to change their ways if they're determined to be the way they are, whether it is religion or anything else. Religion is more for a prod in the right direction IF anyone wishes to listen.

I, like Martijn, believe that Man is a god in his own right, and I have faith in Man's endurance and ingenuity (to quote him there). I believe goodness doesn't need to be taught by religion, but then of course shouldn't necessarily not be taught by religion. It's a handy basic guide for the masses you could say.

Very true, and I agree. But then, what exactly is WRONG with religion? The purpose of every religion is to make its followers good human beings, if they already aren't. No religion asks you to cut your lungs out and throw them at a God's idol to appease Him. Those are MAN MADE practices, and I don't believe in things like that. I never believe God wants humans to do anything like that. Holy books like the Bible or Bhagwad Geeta don't ask you to make sacrifices. They only ask you to follow the right path of life. If what you have against is religion is those practices, I agree. Otherwise, I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    So are you saying you're a better human being than me because you are religious? Obviously, I know you're not saying that, and I respect your intelligence in this matter, but I make this point because religion wouldn't help me to become a better person.

How did you infer that? I never said that, nor I will. It doesn't take religion to be a good human, but yes, people who are on the wrong side might learn some good values from religion and change their ways. Yes, yes, I know next you're going to ask me to point out how many terrorists and mass muderers have changed their life due to religion; I know they haven't. Nothing can force anyone to change their ways if they're determined to be the way they are, whether it is religion or anything else. Religion is more for a prod in the right direction IF anyone wishes to listen.

If you re-read the post then you'll realise I wasn't inferring that at all. Just making a point.

But then, what exactly is WRONG with religion?

Pretty much everything I've stated in previous posts in this thread. I shan't restate them as it will only take this discussion in circles. You're asking questions that I've already responded to by taking statements out of the context of previously made points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Pretty much everything I've stated in previous posts in this thread. I shan't restate them as it will only take this discussion in circles. You're asking questions that I've already responded to by taking statements out of the context of previously made points.

I have read all your posts, yeah. But referring to my previous post, I just wanted to know if you dislike religion because you think the stories are just myths. Because IMHO it is not the true existence of the incidents thats the point (and there have been some proofs) but their morals that are important in religion.

But well then.. ok wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's not an argument towards neither religion or atheism. It's rather making them even.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is herer, Pawel.
    Yes, believing Man is good, believing in God, and believing you left your lights on when you left the house are all situations which imply a certain amount of uncertainty.
    But I don't think this is actually germane to the issue at stake.

Putting faith in your fellow man is quite different from putting your faith in a force from above.
    Apart from sharing the word and process of "belief", there is nothing but difference, and certainly not merely a matter of choice.

DemonStar wrote
    Though there's not much evidence I think it is unlikely because men of that age were supposedly very chivalrous towards women

Were it but so. sad
    In fact, the chivalry thing is something thought up by mid-nineteenth century Romantics, and has no basis in fact anywhere in the world. Generally, historically women were generally thought of as property and means to political ends. At best they were patronized and kept as trophies. (Yes, of course there are historical exceptions, but I'm talking about women in 13th century France, 9th century India or 15th century Persia in general).

That said, the Upanishads show indeed marvellous insights and understanding of the human fetus which can really be only attributed to the sharpest of minds rather then the sharpest of scalpels: not only is dissection never mentioned (as it is in post-Vedic literature), but the knowledge from the Upanishads would, if taken purely from observation, would have required microscopes!

the main motive of religion is to instruct people to live a life of values.

No, it is not. That is a byproduct (which can indeed be very beneficial, let's have no misunderstanding there!)
    The main motive of religion is to impose a system of belief.
    Everything else is secondary or subservient to that.
    The proof is quite simple: according to religion, if you do not believe, you fail (at whatever it is that the particular religion is trying to propagate, be it reincarnation, karma, heaven or Elysium).

Let's not confuse sociology and religion here.
    Religion, when propagated properly, includes a LOT of sociological tools and elements which inherently have nothing to do with religion, but everything with organization and survival:
    "be nice to each other"
    "killing is wrong"
    "don't take other people's stuff"
    These are all values which civilized people hold most dear, and they hold true regardless of religion.

But I don't need any god telling me killing is wrong. I am perfectly able to understand that killing will seriously impede my place in society and affect irrevocably my relation to my fellow men!
  3. Steven wrote
    Yes, very true. I didn't mean that religion as a value system was never an important facet of religion before scientific advancements just to make that clear. Of course, it was, but I think it's safe to say that it taught and emphasized an Ultimate Truth to a much greater degree before these advancements came about, and it still does in many religious circles.

Yeah, religion started with humanity merely ASKING basic question. At some time, believe it or not, saying that the world was created by a god was the only plausible explanation. And I think even ancient Romans would see today's photos of say Mars as the work of, I don't know, Minerva or Jupiter.

I think religion played another important part in the early times and I think it still may play the same role today. Religion builds a hierarchy, a sense of where we are, gives the teleological element to human existence and also often giving hope of what happens after the demise.

OK, I will agree that this is taking it easy - living basically to die and have a better afterlife and we shouldn't give a damn about afterlife if we are on Earth. Being religious I have some of yours and Martijn's beliefs in humanity. But, to be honest, I like feeling something is above us. It gives us the perspective that whereas we can achieve a lot, we must not forget about the fact that whereas nothing can destroy us, something can still kill us and we can't always believe ourselves. Like in depression. I think religious people may become depressed more rarely. Sadly, I don't have statistics to defend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    No, it is not. That is a byproduct (which can indeed be very beneficial, let's have no misunderstanding there!)
    The main motive of religion is to impose a system of belief.
    Everything else is secondary or subservient to that.
    The proof is quite simple: according to religion, if you do not believe, you fail (at whatever it is that the particular religion is trying to propagate, be it reincarnation, karma, heaven or Elysium).

Religions have changed through time. When religion first started, its main motive was to give the stories about God ONLY as an example to encourage people that good deeds will be rewarded and evil be punished (and there are numerous supposed evidences about every story, it depends on what we want to believe again wink ) . Then later some rich people began the practice of sacrificing meat or grains or even money to appease their Gods, and began to disdain people who didn't believe in their Gods etc. So you see that's not the main point. Yes, you will say that religions remained "polluted" because of this, but that's NOT my point. If you see what they were originally intended for, you'll see their reasons.

But I don't need any god telling me killing is wrong. I am perfectly able to understand that killing will seriously impede my place in society and affect irrevocably my relation to my fellow men!

But does everyone have your ideals? Do terrorists etc think like that? I know it's pretty impossible now, but in the past, even terrible criminals have been changed into better people by Buddhism. There are historical evidences of this. Of course, if a person doesn't want to change, there's nothing anything can do, let alone religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    Religions have changed through time.

...but have not changed their main objective, whatever the religion.
    The main point, always and ever, is to convince people that the only true salvation lies with (the) god(s). That the only proper way to live is through god(s).

Again, the point remains: if you do not believe, you fail.
    We have come so far that religions grudgingly admit that it may be possible that heretics or heathens (i.e. those not following the particular religion at hand) do good deeds (a recent development) or may even be good people even though they do not believe (an even more recent development!), but they will still not get into heaven!

But does everyone have your ideals? Do terrorists etc think like that?

That's besides the point: there has been a lot of killing done in the name of religion.
    The fact that not everyone shares my values and my faith in humanity does by no means logically infer that therefore religious values would be better (or the logical alternative).

I know it's pretty impossible now, but in the past, even terrible criminals have been changed into better people by Buddhism.

Or by psychotherapy, by help from social workers or by simply thinking about it and choosing to change. I'm not sure what your point is here?

Pawel wrote
    Religion builds a hierarchy, a sense of where we are, gives the teleological element to human existence

This directly ties in with my earlier point on the use of sociology. Yes, religion does tend to draw people together and form a community. This was an extremely useful tool in ancient times to create a coherent society with the same belief, norms and values system.
    It can't be denied that this has pretty much formed history.
    But that doesn't mean that humanity still needs this? We have other tools now, and in fact, our whole concept of society/societies is changing rapidly with people speaking the same language and communicating globally!

Incidentally, you realize that this very community, with a server in Belgium, and a Dutchie and a Brit having a discussion with an Indian and a Pole actually marks that very point? smile

I think religious people may become depressed more rarely. Sadly, I don't have statistics to defend it.

You are absolutely right.
    The main reason for this is the sense of security and belonging religion brings, or rather the lack of insecurity that modern-day lives brings. It has often been argued that depression is a 20th century (i.e. "fad") disease. It's true, but it's not a fad: it's to do with the breaking down of social classes and the endless possibilities people suddenly are confronted with. This brings huge challenges, changes in mindset and pressure, which can very easily lead to depression.
    When everything is possible, when everything is reachable, then why can't I? The mismatch between expectation, possibility and outcome has never been greater anywhere in history.

The life of 'Ora et labora', where one's station, goals and end were known from the very beginning were much more secure. Religion has always employed that sense of destiny to offer security and answers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    ...but have not changed their main objective, whatever the religion.
    The main point, always and ever, is to convince people that the only true salvation lies with (the) god(s). That the only proper way to live is through god(s).

Again, the point remains: if you do not believe, you fail.

But wouldn't it be worth it if people, at least with the intention of pleasing God, start doing good deeds? I say again, that is why religion began in the first place. The communism rubbish began later because of people but that was NOT what religion is originally intended for.

Or by psychotherapy, by help from social workers or by simply thinking about it and choosing to change. I'm not sure what your point is here?

The story about how Lord Buddha changed a robber who used to chop off people's fingers and string them into a necklace ( vomit ) is famous here. Buddha only offered him a few words of wisdom about karma and salvation and stood unarmed in front of him. After the robber thought over it, he himself flung aside his dagger and embraced Buddhism. Similarily, the sage Valmiki who is famous for writing a version of Ramayana was also a robber initially, but he was changed after a similar meeting with some devotees.
  4. I will expand on it later, but I must say that I like that sense of destiny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think religion played another important part in the early times and I think it still may play the same role today. Religion builds a hierarchy, a sense of where we are, gives the teleological element to human existence and also often giving hope of what happens after the demise.

OK, I will agree that this is taking it easy - living basically to die and have a better afterlife and we shouldn't give a damn about afterlife if we are on Earth. Being religious I have some of yours and Martijn's beliefs in humanity. But, to be honest, I like feeling something is above us. It gives us the perspective that whereas we can achieve a lot, we must not forget about the fact that whereas nothing can destroy us, something can still kill us and we can't always believe ourselves. Like in depression. I think religious people may become depressed more rarely. Sadly, I don't have statistics to defend it.

I agree totally! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote:
    But then, what exactly is WRONG with religion?

I hate to lean on the words of another to get across an answer to this question, but this person has worded it so eloquently I can't but help post it in reply to it:

I’ve been debating with myself for several days about whether I should write this post. Since some other bloggers have dealt with this question quite effectively recently, I haven’t felt that I would have anything useful to add to the conversation. I changed my mind when I read Brian’s recent heart wrenching post. For the religious folks who wonder why nonbelievers care at all about religion and why we can’t we just respect believers’ beliefs and leave them alone, I offer the following thoughts.

The first problem that I have with religious beliefs is that, as Greta Christina pointed out recently, acting on the basis of false beliefs can lead to ill-conceived, even harmful, behavior and decisions. Take, for example, cases of snake handlers who die from snakebites, or Jehovah’s Witnesses who die for want of blood transfusions - both of which have occurred in the USA within the past several months. One may argue that such beliefs are misunderstandings of scriptural injunctions, but to so argue merely cedes my point. Yes, I agree, such beliefs are misunderstandings, but those misunderstandings are founded upon what believers have read in scriptures and they are founded upon traditions that have been passed down to successive generations for millennia. Quite simply, the misunderstood scriptures would not be taken so seriously, and the errant teachings that have been transmitted through the ages would not exist, were it not for the religious contexts that gave birth to them and continue to nourish them.

Consider the subject of Brian’s post that I alluded to in the opening paragraph of this post. In this case, a man who was suffering from mental illness heard the voice of god telling him to slaughter his family. He responded by killing his teen aged daughter. Fortunately, his wife was not home at the time of the murder so she was spared. Prior to that event, the man had told members of his church that he was haunted by demons, was hearing voices and so on. The church people believed that the man was extraordinarily blessed to have such experiences! The tragedies of this man’s delusional beliefs and his resultant behaviors are highlighted by the inconceivable (to me) failure of the man’s religious community to distinguish between mental illness and the leading of god’s holy spirit! Remove the shroud of religious superstition from the community’s thought processes and the man’s derangement would have been clearly evident.

I can already hear several of the faithful protesting that I’m painting all believers with the same broad, tainted brush. Most believers are not deranged, most believers do not handle poisonous snakes as part of their worship rituals, and only a few believers eschew modern medicine…. All of that is true, but it doesn’t change the underlying fact that theistic belief in any form is mistaken. Even if those mistaken beliefs don’t cause believers to make such egregious errors in judgment as those noted above, they can lead to other errors, such as susceptibility to swindling televangelists, or refusal to believe that one’s pastor is molesting Sunday school children, or the notion that abstinence-only sex education is sufficient, or the conviction that gays are evil…. Even though the vast majority of believers apply rational thought processes in most areas of their lives, there is a corner of their minds, especially for religious conservatives, in which they refuse to shine the light of reason. Every scrap of information they process is run through religious filters. If it does not threaten to undermine the religious scaffold around which they’ve built their lives, then normal reasoning processes can be applied safely. If a bit of information contradicts the scaffold, then it must be rejected. Religious liberals, on the other hand, frequently bend the scaffold so that it will accommodate new information. Whatever process one applies, the fact remains that there are points at which reason and religion conflict. How one handles those conflicts determines the extent to which religious belief is harmful. Sometimes the harm is confined to believers. Other times, however, that harm spills over and affects others, believers and nonbelievers alike. This brings me to my second problem with religious belief.

The second problem I have with religious belief is that believers do not live in vacuums. Their religious beliefs are not always private and those beliefs do affect others, including me, in numerous ways. Billy wrote a great post about this recently. To cite one example, when creationists and Intelligent Design proponents advocate for the inclusion of their non-scientific theories in school science curricula, in addition to hurting their own children, they threaten to undermine my children’s education, they threaten to undermine American progress in scientific and medical research and they threaten to dilute the American education system and thereby weaken our nation’s economy. In short, when they bring their religious beliefs into the public square and seek to impose those beliefs on others, they threaten our livelihoods and our well-being. Another example: when a fundamentalist presidential candidate advocates amending the Constitution so that it conforms to an ancient book of fables, he threatens my liberty of conscience. Cases like these and countless others lead me to conclude that the only way I can adopt a philosophy of “live and let live” is if religious believers will pledge to do the same. The moment they open their church doors and let their ideas drip all over the pavement is the moment they invite me, regardless of whether they intend to do so, to examine those ideas. This leads to my third problem with religious belief.

The third problem I have with religious beliefs is the persistent entreaty that I respect religious beliefs simply because they are religious. My response to this demand is that I’ll extend to religious beliefs the same degree of respect that I extend to astrology or phrenology or alchemy and not a speck more or less than that. Nevertheless, I will always strive to respect believers, regardless of what I think about their beliefs. If believers want their beliefs to be considered as plausible foundations of social, economic, international, educational, or any other public policies, then I will critique those beliefs just as scrupulously as I would critique the beliefs of a Marxist, a Maoist, or a monarchist. Religious beliefs are simply one class of ideas among many that have the potential to do real damage to individuals, societies and nations (though it seems self-evident to me that false beliefs will seldom pass muster as suitable foundations for good policy decisions). All ideas, religious and otherwise, should be scrutinized ruthlessly before one renders judgments regarding their soundness. Religious ideas are no more special than any others, they are simply more widespread and more deeply ingrained than most.

Setting aside, momentarily, the fact that religious beliefs are detrimental to believers and nonbelievers alike, it is true that all of us hold many values, interests and aspirations in common. These are bases upon which we can all agree to work together for our common good. If we can agree to do so, then maybe one day I’ll be able to revise my view of religion and concede that, perhaps, it is good for some people, though certainly not for all. Until that happens, however, I will continue to maintain that, given current conditions, religion’s bad effects far outweigh its good ones.

– the chaplain

Again, I feel a little guilty for being lazy and cheating here, but these are indeed wise words to which I can only agree with and they communicate the exact problems I too have with religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    This will take me some time to read (it's pretty long after all) and I will post my thoughts about it shortly, unless my internet connection refuses to work as it has been, recently.

Thanks, Steven! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote

But wouldn't it be worth it if people, at least with the intention of pleasing God, start doing good deeds?

Ravi, I honestly don't understand what you mean.
    Couldn't I just come back with "But wouldn't it be worth it if people, at least with the intention of finding their place in a community, start doing good deeds?"
    Starting to do good deeds would be great whatever the incentive, but that's not the prerogative of religion!

I am not sure whether you are simply challenging causality or are trying to make another point?

I say again, that is why religion began in the first place.

You may say this, but I challenge that assumption, which I think is wrong.

No religion in the world (with the possible exception of Buddhism, but that's a debatable issue) ever began with "let's do good".

It ALWAYS and EVER began with "Let's honour (the) god(s)", generally followed by "and in his/their name do some things, some of which are good and some of which make no sense whatsoever except in the context of this specific religion, so that this/these Gods will be kind to us in some way".

The communism rubbish began later because of people but that was NOT what religion is originally intended for.

No sure what Communism has to do with this?

The story about how Lord Buddha changed a robber who used to chop off people's fingers and string them into a necklace

You said it: it's a story. I can quote you similar stories about Jesus, Odin, Herne, Persephone, Ba'al, Minerva, Azhrarn and indeed Freud.

These are mere parables, Ravi, created to show the overpowering truth and justice of whatever authority figure happens to be the main character. Interesting from a mythological point of view, but surely you can't expect anyone to take stories like that as documented evidence?
    Do you believe stories like that to be historically accurate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    These are mere parables, Ravi, created to show the overpowering truth and justice of whatever authority figure happens to be the main character. Interesting from a mythological point of view, but surely you can't expect anyone to take stories like that as documented evidence?
    Do you believe stories like that to be historically accurate?

There isn't enough historical evidence, yes, but there isn't any solid evidence that they're just parables either. And saying that they're just tall tales made by people cannot be solidified without any proof IMO. Just expressing my thoughts. smile

Ravi, I honestly don't understand what you mean.
    Couldn't I just come back with "But wouldn't it be worth it if people, at least with the intention of finding their place in a community, start doing good deeds?"
    Starting to do good deeds would be great whatever the incentive, but that's not the prerogative of religion!

I am not sure whether you are simply challenging causality or are trying to make another point?

You may say this, but I challenge that assumption, which I think is wrong.

No religion in the world (with the possible exception of Buddhism, but that's a debatable issue) ever began with "let's do good".

It ALWAYS and EVER began with "Let's honour (the) god(s)", generally followed by "and in his/their name do some things, some of which are good and some of which make no sense whatsoever except in the context of this specific religion, so that this/these Gods will be kind to us in some way".

Ok, I'll explain everything. Let's say religion began just to make people believe in their
    Gods for some reason and make them believe it forcefully. Whatever it began for. Now these stories, whether they're historical or not, is not my point. What I mean is that none of these stories ask people to murder, or loot etc. They have good morals, they ask us to do good deeds. For example, I will give you one famous story here, from Hinduism - http://surrealist.org/gurukula/storymat … simha.html

As you can see, it sounds pretty fictional. And I know no one will survive if they're stabbed by spears etc. But if one can take its moral as not to sway over to the dark side and remain good for as long as possible even in adverse situations, isn't it a good value? I know, I KNOW it can be gained without religion also, but still, religion is for hoping more people can learn such values. It is not the existence of the historical evidence that matters (for this story, there's quite some interesing evidence actually) but the morals IMO. The "you must believe this" thing is not acceptable I know, but if you leave that out, I can't see anything wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have some issues with Steven's post.
    I think the poster quoted too regularly mixes the geopolitical and geosociological issues with personal religious experiences and very America-centred practices.

In fact, I think the issue against religion can be summed up quite a bit more succinctly (however much against character this may be for me wink ):

Religion is bad because it is dogmatically dependent on value systems of one particular place in time.

That's the short version.
    the slightly longer version is that of all the current world religions, there is not one that properly incorporates changing values and rejects teachings on the basis of new insights and changing world systems.

The reason for that is twofold.
    First of all you have the existing power structures.
    Centuries and millennia old teachings provide the power base for those currently in charge of things religiously. These are generally not the people who are looking for change, so they will desperatly kling to the old ways to reinforce their political power. Many of the Christian and Islamic schismas are based on a hierarchy like this, and these are very unlikely to change.

The problem of course is that the longer you remain dependent on age old teachings as Absolute Truth, the more you become detached from reality. What was generally held to be true in the 14th century ("women are property; homosexuality is an aberration punishable by death; your caste is your destiny and you can never in life rise above it" and so forth) are simply not true or valid any more.

This leads directly to the second reason: people hate change.
    I have already alluded to that in an earlier post: in general, people crave security, certainty.
    World religions offer such security! This is why, in a world of change and social unrest, you see people leaning towards fundamentalism: at least there are universal values with absolute certainty to provide the ultimate truth.
    This is why you see that generally those religious directions that try to embrace change are faltering and fading away (e.g. many of the smaller Catholic and Protestant movements that embrace homosexuality, accept women priests et cetera. All started with great enthusiasm and hope, now almsot dwindling to nothing).