• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Hippies . Hippies everywhere.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014 edited
    What they've described to you can be explained by the placebo effect, Stavi. Don't waste your money. There's a wealth of research attesting to this, so the burden of proof is most definitely on those who say it works.

No, cranberry has nothing to do with homeopathy whatsoever. I fear some cross path confusion has occurred here! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Demetris wrote

Excuse me my good Sir. Are you calling me a hippy? uhm tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    What they've described to you can be explained by the placebo effect, Stavi. Don't waste your money. There's a wealth of research attesting to this, so the burden of proof is most definitely on those who say it works.

No, cranberry has nothing to do with homeopathy whatsoever. I fear some cross path confusion has occurred here! dizzy

I know honey, I didn't write it in a clear way. I meant to say that even he who is a classically trained doctor considers some other "therapies" as an extra help which are not purely related to conventional medicine. I hope it's more clearly phrased now.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, I see. smile By the way, I have nothing against this. As I said, I'm sure cranberry does have genuine health benefits, it's a fruit after all, and it seems very likely that it helps urinary problems. But a doctor prescribing the use of cranberry is very different to being prescribed something like homeopathy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    indeed! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But it also tastes like the devil's ass... Eurgh.

Mango juice all the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I can only drink the juice with a lot of ice! The dried fruit is fine but the pills are even better! You just take them!
  1. The answer is: As long as they don't harm anyone else, let people do and believe and take in what they bloody please.
    I mean - what's wrong about being cured by the placebo effect. We know that this effect has a big part in scientific medicine, too.
    If people choose to belive in homeopathy? Those who prescribe those preparations have to be very convincing. The conversation they have with patiens have much to do with psychology. It's like religion really. Peolpe lead a happy live by believing in Jesus and they get their theological dose every sunday. Doesn't work for me, but if it works for others? Suits me just fine.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's all well and good up to to a point. But there are various reasons, some of which I may have mentioned, why these alternative medicines are harmful. But in a broader sense, faulty beliefs can lead to some pretty dire consequences, so criticism and skeptical and unbiased inquiry is not only fun, but necessary.

Reasoned criticism is not about taking away someone's cherished beliefs, but to get them to think about and perhaps even scrutinise those beliefs, which should encourage a healthier approach to forming ideas. Given that beliefs inform actions, it is surely better in almost any circumstance -if not all- to have the best possible, most reliable, most reasonable information at hand. Otherwise we get things like honour killings, genital mutilation, spread of Aids in Africa, the prevention of stem cell research, this disempowerment of women to choose abortion, and pineapple on pizzas. Well fuck that I say.
  2. As I said: As long as they don't harm anyone else.
    But there are things about homeopathy that do irk me. I don't know about Britain. In Germany homeopathic preparations are treated like "real" mediacation in that they can only be bought in pharmacies. There is no reason to prevent suggar and water form being sold in the supermarked. It gives those preparations a guise of "seriousness" they do not deserve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    As I said: As long as they don't harm anyone else.

Couldn't agree more!

But unfortunately these sorts of things often lend themselves to harmful effects, which may not be readily apparent, especially when you consider taking water or sugar pills does no direct harm. But these are organisations, institutions, that are monopolising on people's ignorance and desperation. They offer false hope and consolation where there are, ironically, far better alternatives.
  3. Steven wrote
    pineapple on pizzas

shocked shocked shocked

Too far, man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    pineapple on pizzas

shocked shocked shocked

Too far, man.

Called a Hawaiian. wink ( includes ham and mushrooms if I'm not mistaken )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Steven wrote
    That's all well and good up to to a point. But there are various reasons, some of which I may have mentioned, why these alternative medicines are harmful. But in a broader sense, faulty beliefs can lead to some pretty dire consequences, so criticism and skeptical and unbiased inquiry is not only fun, but necessary.

Reasoned criticism is not about taking away someone's cherished beliefs, but to get them to think about and perhaps even scrutinise those beliefs, which should encourage a healthier approach to forming ideas. Given that beliefs inform actions, it is surely better in almost any circumstance -if not all- to have the best possible, most reliable, most reasonable information at hand. Otherwise we get things like honour killings, genital mutilation, spread of Aids in Africa, the prevention of stem cell research, this disempowerment of women to choose abortion, and pineapple on pizzas. Well fuck that I say.

Also we get the Red Cross, quite a few charity organizations, ironically, quite a few scientists somehow never quit their religious faith no matter what they discovered (Copernicus was a priest, Kepler was very religious, Newton... one of the authors of the Big Bang hypothesis was a priest).

Why is religion attacked as a principle and nobody whatsoever attacks some of the fundamentalist rhetorics? I would say that by attacking any religion as a whole for a certain thing, we miss the point and do much more harm in general than if we pinpointed the exact rhetorics that are at heart with fundamentalists. Saying, for example, Islam is/is not a religion of peace, we miss the point whatsoever by arguing statements that are in fact both valid on the same level. Jihad? Well, first it's the internal struggle of the believer and THEN it is a military term. And in fact, in most cases, it's perceived as a defensive war, in rare circumstances it's used for offensive means. So I would rather ask, why this rhetorics works among the Arab groups? Why and by whom do they feel persecuted?

Crusaders and Zionists? Sure, this puts it as a religious conflict. But why don't we look deeper at it and not consider that the first group for example performed so much of what we would call legally genocide today (massacring both Jews and Muslims) that it is still regarded a trauma over 900 years after it happened?

Even let's give a little look at the conflict in Gaza right now. Do you regard Israel as a religious state I wonder? If you do, then you are deeply wrong. The Haredi community, the most radically religious Jewish population, doesn't really participate in what's happening there. As you know, Israel is not only one of the only countries which still use military draft, but also drafts women for obligatory military service. And guess what. The Haredi community is not drafted, because they're treated automatically as conscientous objectors.

So if you're anti-Israel in what's happening out there (though the situation is much more complex than that and while I am shocked by the civilian casualties I also happen to be scared for a friend of mine, who's too scared to leave her house in case a rocket actually gets in her town's vicinity; there are even towns near the Strip where people have 30 seconds to run to a shelter in case of an attack... happening on an everyday basis), religion is out of the equation on that side.

All you say is fine and dandy. But the problem is that we're not as rational in human nature as you'd like us to be. This is why a guy claiming that people were around when dinosaurs were extinct, will get more popularity than any, even the most fun, explanation of Darwinian, or not, evolution. Aristotle said that a speech can speak to reason (logos), character (ethos; a point I largely forgot, since I read it years ago) and emotion (pathos; literally suffering). And the truth is that 90% of the cases? Pathos triumphs logos big time. So if you want the more productive values than "let's blow up some Crusaders/Zionists/whoever", or in fact speak against all the awful things that indeed do happen because of religious ideas, then find a way to get to the regular Joe in Africa, Middle East or wherever by speaking to their emotions. Not by trying to reason with them.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    pineapple on pizzas

shocked shocked shocked

Too far, man.

Call it anything you like so long as it stays far away from me. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    Stavroula wrote
    Demetris wrote

Excuse me my good Sir. Are you calling me a hippy? uhm tongue

You're a hot hippie .
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    pineapple on pizzas

shocked shocked shocked

Too far, man.

Call it anything you like so long as it stays far away from me. vomit

Noch nie was von Toast Hawaii gehört? Total lecker! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's no kind of pizza I don't like. Pizza is irresistible heaven.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

There is D and I've had it. I had one in India, it was one of the nastiest things I've ever eaten ( somehow I managed two bites ), god knows what kind of dough the base was made of, there was a kind of sugary tomato paste smeared on it and the topping was cabbage, raw(ish) carrots, onions and paneer cheese ( I love paneer but it isn't a pizza cheese.

It was the cabbage that really did it! Dreadful beyond words.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014 edited
    Doesn't sound too bad, but I'll take your word for it! (Except maybe the cabbage... uhm )

I like a simple margarita pizza, thin crispy base, plenty of olive oil, fresh basil and tomatoes, with a peroni. lick a PROPER Mediterranean made one I hasten to add.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Doesn't sound too bad, but I'll take your word for it! (Except maybe the cabbage... uhm )

I like a simple margarita pizza, thin crispy base, plenty of olive oil, fresh basil and tomatoes, with a peroni. lick a PROPER Mediterranean made one I hasten to add.

As someone who absolutely adores pizza please do take my word for it, I was really hungry at the time and barely managed two bites. I didn't describe its horrors well enough.

My fave pizza is salami, mushroom and jalapino from a local place near me that make the best pizzas I've ever tasted anywhere.
  7. I think it's quite appropriate to be talking about pizza on the religion thread. No, seriously! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I believe in pizza.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It does exist! I've seen it and eaten it.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think it's quite appropriate to be talking about pizza on the religion thread. No, seriously! lick

Wrong food tongue
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

There is D and I've had it. I had one in India, it was one of the nastiest things I've ever eaten ( somehow I managed two bites ), god knows what kind of dough the base was made of, there was a kind of sugary tomato paste smeared on it and the topping was cabbage, raw(ish) carrots, onions and paneer cheese ( I love paneer but it isn't a pizza cheese.

It was the cabbage that really did it! Dreadful beyond words.

Well obviously my well travelled friend. I forgot India. The place of wackiness and all kinds of sunil craziness wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and to get back on topic: Cheesus saves
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    sunil

freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ya'll motherfuckers need cheesus.