• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    Steven wrote
    Ya'll motherfuckers need cheesus. yo!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    Yeah, BITCH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014 edited
    I knew it! Ghosts are real!
  1. Rinchard Dawkins is nuts. Whatever important contributions to discussions he has made in the past he has degenerated to an agressive materialistic jihadist. His remarks on trisomy 21 are in my opinion repulsive and beyond discussion.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What do you mean, Captain?
    The only remarks I have seen of his on the subject are of the most respectful and thoughtful kind.

Down Syndrome screening is not eugenic: DS has extremely low heritability. Screening offers a humane moral choice. Majority choose abortion.

Richard Dawkins @RichardDawkins · Aug 21

Women have a right to early abortion. Choice is theirs. Down Syndrome is 1 of the commonest & most moral reasons to exercise that right.

If I were a woman with a DS fetus I personally would abort. So do most women in fact. If you wouldn't, good luck to you, it's your decision,

Woman said she wouldn't know whether to abort. I told her what I would do & why. I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't TELL a woman what to do. Up to her.

I happen to agree on each and every remark, but even if I didn't I completely fail to see what is "repulsive" or "beyond discussion" about any of it!

I urge you to read this rather than the Moral Outragers on Twitter.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah x2

People love to take Dawkins' words at face value. Everything has to be so black and white. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    who is this dude?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's the guy who can explain the imprint of that ammonite on the rock you've been living under.
  2. I urge you to read this rather than the Moral Outragers on Twitter.

I did beforhand. Regrattably he also said:

'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl … 81549.html

That makes all the nice things he sais above worthless.

I do not deny any woman the right of choise. I do not blame her what ever her decision. But to say appodictically that it is immoral not to abboard a child that is handicapped is out of bounds. It means to say that a handicapped unborn child has objetively (!) a lesser right to live than others. This is social Darwinism in its most dangerous form. It makes ther term "human being" fuzzy. It puts into quetion to whom human rights apply and to whom they don't. It's an argument along the line of Peter Singer. vomit
    I know that I see things in th light of German Idealism. But that is just the way I see things. I strongly reject utilitarian ethics.

smile Volker
  3. This nonsense at least isn't dangerous. It's just laughable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie … wkins.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote

I agree that to put it that bluntly is simply asking for trouble. No one is going to ask you to elaborate on such a statement, and you know you'll incur the seething wrath of thousands.
    140 characters is not the way to discuss these matters, I think.
    That's utterly on him. He should have thought this one through.

That said, I do find a lot of sympathy with his explanation and reasoning in the link I posted above though.
    But if you are indeed as dead set against utilitarian ethics as you state, I can perfectly see where this might cause as much offense as it does. Me, I can find no fault in his reasoning. Bringing a person in the world as debilitated as all that will cause a massive strain on all concerned, including the child.

To immediately label that Social Darwinism (a very dodgy container concept in itself) though seems too harsh to me.
    As Dawkins says: at the end of the day it's a PERSONAL choice.
    There are excellent arguments to bring against it (as he does).
    I'm sure from other points of view there may be excellent arguments to bring in favour of it.
    But it's not a discussion that simply by being there per se offends or repulses me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Richard Dawkins a supporter of eugenics? That's... interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    This nonsense at least isn't dangerous. It's just laughable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie … wkins.html

You are aware that the atricle was based on a BBC interview in which he was SEVERELY misquoted, for which the BBC has since apologised, right?

I'm getting a little concerned about both the laziness of journalists and the lengths anti-rationalists will go to to discredit those they find objectionable (To be sure: not having a go at you, Volker! This is a generic concern!).

The very topic title already compels me to dig deeper as it simply makes NO sense (although I'm frightfully sure the religious right in the US will quote this "fact" for many decades to come. "It's on the internet, see, so it must be true". sad )

PawelStroinski wrote
    Richard Dawkins a supporter of eugenics? That's... interesting.

Of course he's bloody not, as he's clearly stated several times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes Pawel, he's a supporter of eugenics. He also hates Jews and keeps a copy of Mein Kampf by his bedside table. These are facts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you sure?
    I didn't find that on the internet.

I did find he eats babies though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As an atheist myself, I find they go well with white wine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was thinking like Oysters with a dash of salt and lemon.
  5. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes Pawel, he ... keeps a copy of Mein Kampf by his bedside table. These are facts.

Yeah, so do I. Well, not on my bedside table but stored away in a cupboard a few meters away from my bed. You better not put such items on the book shelf lest peolpe get funny ideas about it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed, it's a funny thing about people. They're so quick to jump to conclusions!
  6. Point taken. biggrin
    Yet I stand by my views.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I agree that to put it that bluntly is simply asking for trouble. No one is going to ask you to elaborate on such a statement, and you know you'll incur the seething wrath of thousands.
    140 characters is not the way to discuss these matters, I think.
    That's utterly on him. He should have thought this one through.

That said, I do find a lot of sympathy with his explanation and reasoning in the link I posted above though.
    But if you are indeed as dead set against utilitarian ethics as you state, I can perfectly see where this might cause as much offense as it does. Me, I can find no fault in his reasoning. Bringing a person in the world as debilitated as all that will cause a massive strain on all concerned, including the child.

To immediately label that Social Darwinism (a very dodgy container concept in itself) though seems too harsh to me.
    As Dawkins says: at the end of the day it's a PERSONAL choice.
    There are excellent arguments to bring against it (as he does).
    I'm sure from other points of view there may be excellent arguments to bring in favour of it.
    But it's not a discussion that simply by being there per se offends or repulses me.

I too agree with all of his points on abortion.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Indeed, it's a funny thing about people. They're so quick to jump to conclusions!

I certainly wouldn't get any ideas.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2014
    I'm not entirely convinced this isn't hoax trailer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm not entirely convinced this isn't hoax trailer.

Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Because it looks ridiculous. It looks like a parody.
  7. Is that supposed to be a remake of that ridiculous film they made back in 2000?

Btw, the "pre tribulation rapture" interpretation of Scripture isn't taken serious even by most theologians.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Because it looks ridiculous. It looks like a parody.

My but you've lived a sheltered life ( lucky you ) if you've not been exposed to the plethora of shit films Cage has been forced to star in to pay bills.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Is that supposed to be a remake of that ridiculous film they made back in 2000?

Btw, the "pre tribulation rapture" interpretation of Scripture isn't taken serious even by most theologians.

Volker

I love factual works. My favourite true stories are Warlords of Atlantis, Elf and Bill Cosby's Ghost Dad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's Cage . Natural.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.