• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Stephen Fry on God | The Meaning Of Life | RTÉ One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=8 … NYSQo#t=14
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015
    This is gross and racist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With unwarranted provocative statements like that he's kind of inviting a radical response, isn't he?

I hope religion is soon protected by law against attacks like this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I heard he was fired from a job for antisemitism. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See? It's all pure hypocrisy. Nothing to do with freedom of expression. Is it freedom of expression to be able to insult religion, anyway?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015 edited
    Have you seen 'Mister Deity's' reply to The Pope's sentiments concerning this? It's brilliant. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Have you seen 'Mister Deity's' reply to The Pope sentiments concerning this? It's brilliant. biggrin

Thank ye kindly. I've just nicked it. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh my. biggrin
    He seems a mite vexed...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015
    I want one.

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/09/16/dailymailhate/
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015 edited
    God I miss Hitch's voice.

Good grief, I should say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015
    Yeah, he is on a list of people where the world is less without them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    My extreme-left friend is a staunch defender of Islam, despite being gay, and often posts these insipid, ingratiating, sanctimonious articles explaining how bigoted everyone is where Islam is concerned. He recently posted this, which admittedly has got under my skin somewhat:

https://www.indy100.com/article/muslim- … ng-7309101

"Why are you driving? Under sharia law in Saudi Arabia where Islam was born, you are not allowed to drive. The freedom you are enjoying in the West came from Christianity, NOT Islam."

Now, Moballeghi could have got angry at yet another attempt by a bigot to explain her own religion to her.
    Moballeghi could have lashed out. She didn't.

Instead, she delivered the shortest, most brutal history lesson ever:

"While I understand why all the misinformation in this world has got you to this point, it's just not a valid one. Firstly, there were no cars 1400 years ago; therefore it's not really sharia law. Secondly, there are many rights to women that Islam afforded for 1400 years well before Christian countries implemented them (in very recent history); such as the right to work, and the right to a pre-nup. It's not a competition, but hey you did bring it up. Thirdly, Saudi may be where Islam was born, but the Islam it practises now is not endorsed by most Muslims (who incidentally think the no driving by women is ridiculous). In fact the current monarchy there has its roots in a tribe who rebelled against Sunni Islam (the main body of Muslims). Why haven’t we done anything about it you ask? Well the Saudis are very well protected you see...and not by Muslims. The creation of the modern day Saudi Arabia and its monarchy was actually funded and propped up by the British, who explicitly wanted the Wahabi (extremist) Islam to be promoted there (for political reasons of course). and despite all their barbarity and all the protests across the world (including once a week here in London where there are protests against Saudi Arabia and Britain’s relationship with them by - shock horror - Muslims!) so actually it would be great if the "Christian west" country of America and Britain would stop supporting Saudi with arms, money and diplomacy...you know all the things that have helped create those western freedoms you are chirping on about that have not come from the noble principles of Christianity at all...but from power politics that endorses the very same warped Islamic thinking that you are criticising. I hope you kept up."

The sophistry is obvious, but I'm skeptical of her historical claims given her other specious reasoning. Any history buffs here?
  2. 1. Claim no. 1: While I am not sure whether Islam granted women more rights than they would have in the Christian world at the same (aka ca 632 AD) time, I don't know, but definitely women were granted more rights than they had in the early tribal history of Arabia. As I haven't read the Qu'ran just yet, I can't discuss any other thing about this claim just yet.

2. I know nothing about the rise of the Saudi dynasty... that might well be true, though. Whether and why the British wanted the Wahhabi movement installed in Saudi Arabia for political reason (e.g. what do the Wahhabi have to do with oil, I have no idea whatsoever!).

3. The Western treatment of Saudis as a major ally in the Middle East is, mildly put, flabbergasting and makes the Western investment in peace in the region, at best, doubtful. If they really, really cared, the interest would move to the trio of Egypt, Israel and Jordan with the rest of the region (especially the Arab League) being shunned out of the club until they actually recognize the state of Israel... and keep their own criticism of the human rights issue from that standpoint - from the perspective of Israel being a legitimately existing state.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Steven:
    When Islam was first proliferated in Arabia it did bring social advancement in certain respects:
    - The social position of women was indeed strengthened the way described above. For instance the often frowned upon polygamy had it's justification back then in so far that a man would take care of his diseased brother's wife and secure her social position. (I know Islamic polygamy goes beyond that, but anyway.)
    - Sharia was the first codified law in Arabia and was - at the time - a clear advancement when before everything was handled according to the daily whims of some elders.
    - Monotheism was a catalyst in unifying the Arab tribes. Stuck between two super powers (Persia and the Byzantine Empire) the tribes were often played off against each other.

Pawel:
    In foreign politics you seldom have the luxury to act from pure idealism. You have to deal with whoever is in power. Anyway, one shouldn't be to short sighted in choosing ones allies. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is to simple an equation to act upon.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Again, I'm suspicious of any claims that Islam offered social advancements given its penchant for precisely the opposite. Though I suppose if you cherry-pick it enough, and compare to other ills, it may appear beneficial in certain instances.

My main objection is the way in which it was argued for, since it misleads the unscrupulous reader into thinking that certain regressive ideas within Islamic countries would exist in the same form and to the same degree even without Islam. Faith never gets the blame. Faith is a mere personal and spiritual endeavour that never really causes anyone to do anything bad (which is certainly true for many). That's the takeaway message from these things, and frankly it's dangerous.

To people like my friend, ISIS are just a bunch of psychopathic thugs who desire power in this world and don't really believe in the hereafter. Although that may be true for some, a sort of Emperor's New Clothes deal, it doesn't get to the core of what ISIS really stands for and where those ideas come from. The inability to recognise that religious pluralism doesn't nullify the explicit calls for violence on offer in the religion has us at a loss against theocracy. These people would prefer to treat cancer through its symptoms rather than its cause. You feel ill? Forget chemotherapy, take a swig of whisky and wait for it to subside.
  4. I'm not advertising religion or Islam here. I do not defend what is done in the name of that religion today. What was an advancement in the year 632 is very likely backwater thinking today.
    Yet the notion that religion from principle has never served the grater good anywhere at any time is not a basis that I would like to proceed from.
  5. Well, yes. Religion was certainly a step up from tribal law. But so too is reason a step up from religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm not advertising religion or Islam here. I do not defend what is done in the name of that religion today. What was an advancement in the year 632 is very likely backwater thinking today.

Again, my history is severely lacking, so I'm willing to accept her history lesson is accurate, but her conclusion from it is misleading at best given the stark obvious fact that Islamic societies represent some of the worse places to live. Also, to imply that banning women from driving is not an Islamic problem because combustion had yet to be cracked 1400 years ago stretches my ability to entertain a thought.

Yet the notion that religion from principle has never served the grater good anywhere at any time is not a basis that I would like to proceed from.

It depends what you mean by religion and the greater good. A loose enough term gives enough slack to tie any argument. I would never doubt that many devout religious people are decent folk who get a warm and fuzzy feeling from unfalsifiable claims, and indeed might even encourage them to do good. If it cheers them up, so be it. I do however dispute faith is required in the first place, and is generally a bad surrogate for humanism, specifically the various malicious forms it takes -- even more specifically Islam's view of women. These ideas are coming from the religion, and are shared across borders and politics.

But to admit that, in the eyes of so many liberal progressives who are atheists themselves (and I hate to sully those terms), is an admission of bigotry and hatred. I am continually surprised by this reaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016
    I tried of couple of times to formulate an answer, but stopped each time as I veered off wayyyy too much into all sorts of tangents.
    And then I realised the issue: what is the actual question?
    What historical claims do you question?
    The tribal vs. religious ones? (That is VERY hard to argue on either side given the lack of written tradition for tribal culture)?
    The creation and role of Saudi Arabia?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016 edited
    The accusation of bigotry, the sanctimonious tone of the reply, the implication that Islam provides women with 'many' rights and that Western imperialism is to blame for everything.

My response was simply to quote an excerpt from a speech given by Sarah Haider as I believe it gets to the heart of where my friend and many like him position themselves on this topic:

So why is it so difficult for many on the Left to criticize Islam? Why do they shy away from it? I believe that the primary reason is that many are simply incapable of separating the criticism of an idea with hate directed towards a people, and immediately call the first "racism". That idea should not be entertained for very long, as if there can be no valid reasons to critique an ideology rooted in seventh-century patriarchal norms except for hatred toward the very people imprisoned by those ideologies.

There are people who use the phrase "Islamophobia" both to mean criticism of the people and of the religion. I know that many Muslims do this, it is an easy way of stopping others from criticizing their religion, but I believe that many in the West use this word because they haven't quite thought of why it might be harmful. Islamophobia is a meaningless term. It serves to confuse and to muddle two very different forms of intolerance, based on two very different reasons, to which there should be two very different reactions.

Sometimes it is claimed that the critique of religion is critique of the identity of the believer, and is therefore bigotry. This person's identity happens to be based on ideology, so if you criticize their ideology, you are necessarily generating hate towards that person. But I wonder what would happen if we applied this type of thinking to everything? What if New Agers decided that criticism of New Age spiritual healing was a form of hate against people who chose to identify that way? What if Hindus decided criticism of the caste system was a deeply offensive form of racism against Hindu people? How much of that would that retard reform?

It is quite clear that allegiances here aren't to the truth, instead the aim is to selectively hide inconvenient truths, truths that are deemed to be harmful, should they ever be acknowledged. I assume the fear is that we do not want to give support to actual bigoted people. But the liberation of a billion and a half Muslims in the world, Muslims who are suffering under the yoke of an ever-present theological authority, should be at the forefront of our minds.

As has been repeated hundreds of times by critics like myself, the primary victims of Islamism are Muslims, be it in terms of terrorism, violence, misogyny, freedom of expression, religion, and economic decline. Yet bizarrely, these concerns are secondary still to not presenting offense.

Still there are others that believe that people in the West have no right to speak about problems of "brown cultures" due to the legacy of colonialism and other forms of violence the West has cast upon the East. This is a strange argument because it ignores the history of the world, a history in which various nations, Muslims and non-Muslims, have succumbed to the ebb-and-flow of conquest, repeatedly, for all of recorded history. Many Islamic countries in fact had horrific laws before colonialism. Two of the epicenters of Islamic thought, Iran for Shia Islam, and Saudi Arabia for Sunni Islam, resisted colonialism. In fact, Saudi Arabia was founded in 1744 as an extremist state, the first iteration of which was destroyed by the Ottomans, due to their religious fanaticism. The first Saudis in fact attacked and desecrated some of the most holy Muslim sites and were stopped not by intervention of the West but by other Muslims that viewed them as dangerous fanatics. There was then no American imperialism, no frame of wars against other Muslims, and yet, fundamentalist Wahhabis existed, and were attacking other Muslims very much the same way that ISIS attacks them today.

The liberal Left needs to present a different path. It is particularly important that those who stand for compassion, that those who stand for human rights and recognize the harmful effects of bigotry and discrimination lead the charge.

Reform is impossible when you constantly shift the conversation away from Islamic fundamentalism, and back to western violence and imperialism. But don't get me wrong. It is important to discuss this, it is important to discuss imperialism and the harm that it caused. But violence in the name of Islam has terrorized the Middle East ever since its inception, and it is important that we don't derail this conversation. The moral paralysis out of fear of the right, out of fear of furthering bigotry, by shame of prior crimes committed by other white people should not trump all considerations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, if it's just the tone of the post, sure, Haider's response is perfect.
    The view Moballeghi proposes, far from being "short and most brutal" is rather more "short and hopelessly lobsided".

While I understand why all the misinformation in this world has got you to this point, it's just not a valid one. Firstly, there were no cars 1400 years ago; therefore it's not really sharia law.

Of course not. Therefore this would be considered a "Mustahdathah" (a "new thing"). The ruling must then be deduced from other general legal precepts and juristic principals, which in Saudi Arabia is -of course- extrapolated from Sharia concepts.

The legal argument in Saudi Arabia was never (as Moballeghi suggests) "women driving is not permitted in Shariah", but that "women driving will lead to corruption, which is forbidden in Shariah" (I shit you not) :
    - Driving a car involves uncovering the face.
    - Driving a car may lead women to go out of the house more often.
    - Driving a car may lead women to have interaction with non-mahram males, for example at traffic accidents.
    - Women driving cars may lead to overcrowding the streets and many young men may be deprived of the opportunity to drive.
    - Driving would be the first step in an erosion of traditional values, such as gender segregation.
    This is all considered haram ("unclean", and a perfectly valid juristic reason in Sharia) in Saudi Arabia.

So while you might argue (which Moballeghi DOESN'T) that Saudi Arabia uses extremely spurious and conservative logic in interpreting Sharia, the suggestion that this is not DIRECTLY linked to Sharia is simply false.

Secondly, there are many rights to women that Islam afforded for 1400 years well before Christian countries implemented them (in very recent history); such as the right to work, and the right to a pre-nup.

This may be true.
    It may not.
    At the end of the day it's utterly irrelevant.
    The question is not (and has NEVER been) "who's first?", but "who's BEST?"
    TODAY (and I use today in the sense of "our generation" ) there is absolutely no question that women's rights are far, FAR better served in the West than under Sharia or in Muslim countries in general.

And that really is all that matters.
    Any historic comparison is an academic excercise. Cognitively interesting but irrelevant to today.
    If we really want to go there I'll be happy to write up a comparison (which I guess will end in a bit of a stalemate)...but is it REALLY germane to ANYTHING anyone brings to the table today?

Thirdly, Saudi may be where Islam was born, but the Islam it practises now is not endorsed by most Muslims (who incidentally think the no driving by women is ridiculous)

Absolutely true.
    Even Indonesia, the most strict Sharia-governed country in the world, is happy to have women drive.
    (Of course they're not stupid: it's also one of the poorest[/i[ countries in the world, and to take half the population off the road would mean economic ruin. Saudi Arabia can [i]afford insane laws like these!)

In fact the current monarchy there has its roots in a tribe who rebelled against Sunni Islam (the main body of Muslims). Why haven’t we done anything about it you ask? Well the Saudis are very well protected you see...and not by Muslims. The creation of the modern day Saudi Arabia and its monarchy was actually funded and propped up by the British, who explicitly wanted the Wahabi (extremist) Islam to be promoted there (for political reasons of course).

While the British were instrumental in helping the Saud dynasty to power, this had of course fuck-all to do with any interest on the British side in Wahabism. In fact, the Brits couldn't care less whatever these damn Arabs believed in as long as they could form a strong buffer against the Ottoman empire.

And THAT is the REAL reason the Brits shifted their loyalty from the local Hasemite Meccan emir Hussein bin Ali to Abdulaziz Ibn Saud: he had a much stronger military hold and was at the forefront of the Arab Revolt against the Turks. The Brits, hopelessly stuck in the trenches of Europe, had need of relief on the other front (and safeguard the way to India! That is SO often overlooked! The Brits couldn't give a toss about the Middle-East if it wasn't in the direct interest of keeping the way to India open!).

One could theorise that Wahabism was not entirely of disinterest to the Brits as it was a religious school of thought they were happy to cultivate (again!) in India (it was a nice counterbalance toi the Hindus. Divide and conquer, don't you know?). But there is absolutely no conceivable reason why they should be interested in it in the Middle-East. There was no political, military or economic benefit to it whatsoever.
    Likely they just didn't care.

Side note:
    Moballeghi is smart enough to steer away from the oil argument, as indeed that was completely invalid these days. But as it is used still far too often I still want to touch on the fact that Saudi oil was only discovered in 1938.
    A full SIX YEARS AFTER the Brits granted Saudi Arabia independence.

The reason that they DID grant Abulaziz that stretch of sand is simply that the Brits couldn't AFFORD to keep it. And they loved a strong military leader to counterbalance the Turks.

and despite all their barbarity and all the protests across the world (including once a week here in London where there are protests against Saudi Arabia and Britain’s relationship with them by - shock horror - Muslims!) so actually it would be great if the "Christian west" country of America and Britain would stop supporting Saudi with arms, money and diplomacy...

Here the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
    I wholeheartedy agree. If there is one rogue state in the world today, it's Saudi Arabia.
    The sooner that corrupt, evil hellhole of a state disappears, the better it will be for the region and the world.
    The main reason I fully support alternative forms of energy has far less to do with considerations of the environment and everything with the global dependence on Saudi Arabia and Russia for fossil fuels.
    The minute oil becomes irrelevant, both states will whither and die into the oblivion they so richly deserve.

you know all the things that have helped create those western freedoms you are chirping on about that have not come from the noble principles of Christianity at all...but from power politics that endorses the very same warped Islamic thinking that you are criticising. I hope you kept up."

Those western freedoms never had anything to do with religion in the first place.
    Nor does freedom ever have anything to do with "power politics" (whatever she means by that. Sounds really "cool" and "engaged" though.).

Those western freedoms only really became true through ABANDONING religion.

Clearly she didn't keep up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    My main objection is the way in which it was argued for, since it misleads the unscrupulous reader into thinking that certain regressive ideas within Islamic countries would exist in the same form and to the same degree even without Islam. Faith never gets the blame. Faith is a mere personal and spiritual endeavour that never really causes anyone to do anything bad (which is certainly true for many). That's the takeaway message from these things, and frankly it's dangerous.

Yyyyyyyeah. I'm not sure that's the point.
    As with all totalitarian regimes (and of course religion, especially Islam, ESPECIALLY in that region, is the unmutable, unalterable word of the highest, most unassailable authority in the universe), Islam is utterly opposed to change.
    So whatever may have been really enlightened (compared to the surrounding world) and progressive...by its very nature it can't possibly be that over a thousand years later!

As I argued above, I don't give a toss how lovely life was 1400 years ago compared to life in the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, Chinese Eastern Tujue, the Byzantine Empire or whatever else the fuck the world map looked like in the 7th century AD. It's about NOW! The 20th and 21st century. The time after occidental enlightenment.

To people like my friend, ISIS are just a bunch of psychopathic thugs who desire power in this world and don't really believe in the hereafter. Although that may be true for some, a sort of Emperor's New Clothes deal, it doesn't get to the core of what ISIS really stands for and where those ideas come from. The inability to recognise that religious pluralism doesn't nullify the explicit calls for violence on offer in the religion has us at a loss against theocracy.

People like that keep framing other cultures in their own cultural references.
    The absolutely insidious neo-colonialist attitudes they display in arguing they know BETTER the mindsets of the actual people than those people themselves involved continues to astound me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Yyyyyyyeah. I'm not sure that's the point.

Perhaps I'm seeing it too much through this particular friend's perspective, I know it's what he would take away from it.
  6. Religion often is still quarantined in critique free mental reservations. Questioning religious believes is regarded bad form in Germany and - as I get it - also in England. My home, southern Westphalia, is deeply rooted in Roman Catholicism. I often hear the best way to confront Isalm would be to re-evangelize the people. Even the chancellor seems to suggest that. Sometimes I get the impression that certain Christians are downright envious of Islamic communities.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016 edited
    The soft bigotry of lower expectations, as Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali say. Muslims are mostly brown people, therefore it's progressive to give their beliefs a free pass and admonish your own culture.

I never realised how big a problem this was until I started to talk to people about it. People really do fail on the topic of Islam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I often hear the best way to confront Isalm would be to re-evangelize the people.

I'm not sure what the desired outcome is of that particular scenario.
    In several (!) Islamic countries apostasy is punishable by death.
    Even the most progressive Muslems consider it a horrific and unmentionable taboo.

It's about as good a confrontation as nuking Mecca during the Hajj.
  7. Steven wrote
    The soft bigotry of lower expectations, as Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali say. Muslims are mostly brown people, therefore it's progressive to give their beliefs a free pass and admonish your own culture.

I never realised how big a problem this was until I started to talk to people about it. People really do fail on the topic of Islam.

Yeah, it's true. They either fail too hard in the one direction (nuke 'em all, they're terrrrrrrrrrists) or the other (we have to be tolerant of their beliefs even if it means setting women's rights back several centuries).

Why can't we just all get along? slant
  8. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I often hear the best way to confront Isalm would be to re-evangelize the people.

I'm not sure what the desired outcome is of that particular scenario.
    In several (!) Islamic countries apostasy is punishable by death.
    Even the most progressive Muslems consider it a horrific and unmentionable taboo.

It's about as good a confrontation as nuking Mecca during the Hajj.

To re-evangelize the Germans / Europeans.