• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    I am going for the night... the internet connection is HORRIBLE today and this page has just taken 15 minutes to load and I have to keep a backup of even a single line post in case a "Address Cannot be found" comes up... if it going this way then I am going to really switch to a new ISP.. night, all! wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Not just smart, gifted!

cool cat
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Thank God for lol cat s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Even renowned not-so-old scientists made such mistakes, it is not religion's fault. After all the mulling over, and thinking over facts for years and years did scientists come out with facts. Read about the experiments about abiogenesis vs. biogenesis where a sweaty nightshirt was put in a corner and when some mice began to live in it, they thought they were produced by the shirt. So what's religion's fault in this?

Spontaneous generation, the thought that flies could arise from a chunk of meat, was disproved 340 years ago. Of course the ideas they held back then might seem silly today, but that we have come such a long way is due to the success of science.

DemonStar wrote
    And eventually these very experiments led to Miller and Urey's experiments which provided scientific proof for abigenesis.

Abiogenesis has not been proved, but are still hypotheses. What Miller and Urey's experiment showed was that life's building materials (amino acids, sugars, lipids and building blocks for nucleic acids) could arise from inorganic precursors subjected to energy.

You don't have to respond to this post, I just felt that the points needed to be made.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven, why does your mind not want to accept God unless He was created by something? Why does He have to have been created by someone or something else to even have the possibility of being real?

He's simply using your own logic against you. Theists tend to say that complexity requires a cause, and then provide their own complex cause as a "solution", yet they forget that they simply provided another agent where we'll have to ask what caused it. If complexity requires a designer, then a complex cause must have a complex cause must have a complex cause etc.

An analogy is a math problem where students are trying to figure out what X is. The theists rush in to say X=Y, convinced that they have provided the definite solution. Ok, what is Y then? Doesn't take long before everyone in the class realizes that they haven't moved an inch closer to a solution.

TheTelmarine wroteIt gets down to this: you either believe God has been around forever, or little teeny tiny particles have been around forever, which have somehow over time just evolved or exploded or something into what we have now. If you're not willing to accept that God may have no creator, how can you accept that millions or billions or trillions of years ago there were small particles out of which everything we know today formed. Who or what created the particles and the simplest substances, as Ravi pointed out?

You're presenting a false dichotomy. Fact is that we don't know what was before the Big Bang (or if "before" is even appropriate to use). You can't say "it's either this or that" when no being on this planet have the foggiest idea about what was "before" the singularity.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quite right. As humans, we think in 3-4 dimensions only, so when we ask the question in this manner, I think the answer is going to be unreachable for a very long time, perhaps forever. We just don't know.

Sometimes it's a case of finding the right question before we find the answer we're looking for, as Doug Adams quite brilliantly pointed out! biggrin (In fact Darwinism shows us that finding the right question is extremely important.)
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I walked on water today!

MY.GOD! shocked

I thought Steven said that we would have "no pussyfooting around this issue" biggrin

While I've considered participating more lively in the debate, I think I'd just be making a lot of points which have already been made. And I'm sure I will, in the following, which is also why this post is going to be my first, last and only post in this topic.

Firstly, just to set the record straight, I'd be in the Thor-category (as in the Thor who's posting on this board, not as in "I worship ancient Norse gods"). That is: I consider myself a liberal Christian. Some would say a very liberal Christian, since I have premarital sex, smoke, drink and curse. I also support the right to abortion and advocate stem cell research.

Secondly, I believe that if there is a God (which I can neither prove nor disprove), my personal belief if that he or she is rather more forgiving and tolerant than the men who wrote down the Bible would have him or her be (speaking of the men who wrote down The Bible, the misogynist Paul is a good example of a man I wouldn't like to meet). Of course, I can't prove or disprove that either which means that if there is a God, and I'm wrong, I'm fucked. (Which reminds me of the hilarious Rowan Atkinson-sketch where he portrays the Devil: "Atheists, atheists overhere. Yes, this must be a nasty surprise for you" - or something along those lines. biggrin

Thirdly, while I have great respect for religious people in general (several of my very good friends are theologians, and one is even a priest (and by the way my priest friend is a SHE), I do not respect religious people who read The Bible (or other religious texts) literally. As in "Earth is only 6000 years old". PLEASE, people. Pretty please with sugar on top. Science clearly says that isn't the case.

One creationist reply, which had me rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off, was that God had put dinosaur fossils where they are (i.e. in geological strata which are millions of years old) in order to confuse us. Can't see much sense in that. If you're God and you want people to believe in you, why give them extra reason to doubt. Even politicians wouldn't be this stupid. So please, people. Science tells us that Earth is billions of years old, and - as has been said earlier - The Bible's contention that it is not, and that Earth was created in 6 days can safely be read as metaphor.

Fourthly, I'm struck by the irony that seriously religious people reap the benefits of science on a daily basis, but when it comes to evolution or other scientific facts which put their religion in doubt, they go completely apes****. I just can't take that seriously, folks. Sorry. Just can't.

Being a scientist myself (and an archaeologist, so I know for a fact there were people in what is now Denmark 12,000 years ago), what I respect are serious discussions based on theories that are continually renegotiated and adjusted, proved or refuted.

Since I can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God (or a God), I'm not going to argue that he doesn't exist, because I simply can't prove that. But I can prove that some of the things that The Bible says are plainly wrong. Which suggests to me that if you want to believe, and not fall into the group of people who put their hands over their ears and go "la-la-la-la-la-I-don't-wan't-to-hear-this" every time real science, e.g. evolution, comes up, then The Bible should be read metaphorically.

Do I believe Jesus lived. Sure do. Do I believe he was the son of God. I don't know. Can't do a DNA test can we? So we're back to the impossibility of proving or disproving. Sort of like with a good conspiracy theory.

So believe all that you want, that's fine by me. But do not state as fact that God exists or that Earth is only 6,000 years old or that evolution is a lie. The first cannot be known as fact. The two latter statements are not true.

Sorry if my tone is somewhat harsh, but I just needed to get this out. As liberal a country as Denmark is, we have our nutcases here, too, and as a scientist it is my obligation to speak out against what I plainly and seriously believe is ignorance. (And no, please, (and to reiterate) by calling some people ignorant I'm not targeting religion or the belief in God - I'm targeting those who read The Bible or other religious texts literally).
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Hey Peter (plindboe) thanks a lot for those points! I love technical stuff and reading about these, being a science student myself (wishing to join medical college soon). Thanks! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If only all Christians and religious people thought like you Mogens! Nice to hear your views on all of this. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I can see your beliefs are reasonable, Mogens. I have already expressed my views about religious superstitions and how I do not believe in most of them. In newspapers here, there are articles by some even renowned religious scholars about how baseless rituals and superstitions should be done with for the good of the society. I have also expressed how the views of these ancient religious about natural phenomena (such as Solar eclipses being caused by a dragon swallowing the sun, etc) are obviously pretty absurd now but, think about it, it reveals how the men used to think, how they had creativity. Because of this wonderment and their later generations' determination to find out the truth we know the real facts today. I have already given example of the hypotheses of abiogenesis and biogenesis earlier.

And I respect your ideas more because you have, IMO, handled the belief in God topic pretty well. As I have already mentioned I firmly believe there IS a God. I don't know whether Jesus, Prophet or Zeus or whatever, but I have, by personal experiences and of those around me, by REAL experience, understood there really is God. It doesn't take any religious preaching to know that. There are things even science doesn't know. I don't believe all the elements, physical forces of nature and Physics just "automatically" came into existence. I mentioned this all in my previous posts too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I did not read through all these posts after all, but I'll say this (and may repeat someone else's words) :

I never understand discussions about science versus religion. They are not opposites. Both science and religion are limited when it comes to explaining life and existence and all. And they can go hand in hand as well.

Philosophy (whether it is considered part of science, inferior or superior to science) is limited, simply because human experience and understanding are limited. And that's all we have.

And therefore I remain agnostic, always curious but focussing on what we have here. wink

Oh, and people who believe a 100% in science are religious too in my opinion!!
    Yes, you believe.
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregje wrote
    Oh, and people who believe a 100% in science are religious too in my opinion!!

Ditto! I am a science student myself, but that does not make me lose faith in God at all, personally. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I actually meant science as a form of religion. People who rely 100% on science as truth revealing (as opposed to religion) have in fact a very religious view on life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    True. Above all, one should have humanity as a religion IMO. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje, Ravi, I understand what you mean, but for the sake of clarity in the discussion I would argue against employing the term 'religion' to anything that is NOT connected to the belief in the sacred and divine.

I agree that there are zealots connected to every single cognitive, spriritual or physical aspect of life (including, obviously, science), but to equate zealousness to religion does a disservice to both.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'd like to use the words I choose to make my point, because I said simply what I wanted to say. Besides, if you understand then I don't know why I should be more clear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not asking you to change your words! smile
    I'm just slightly worried that the discussion may become confused, as Ravi's "humanity as religion" remark may indicate. When we are arguing against religion but appreciate faith (though abhor zealousness), it is pretty imperative that we use a same frame of mind and the same definitions, otherwise the discussion is moot'!
    Science as religion is a concept that is completely incompatible with the points Steven, I and Peter are trying to make, hence me trying to put this into perspective.
    No offense was intended.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah, sorry, I haven't read the discussion at all...
    Still I wanted to contribute somehow but I guess there's no point if I don't know what has been said already...
    Too bad I missed it!
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No no no!
    Please contribute!!! sad
    The more points of view the better, and I KNOW this subject must be of interest to you in your profession!!! I am sure you must have some points to make!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    I'm just slightly worried that the discussion may become confused, as Ravi's "humanity as religion" remark may indicate. When we are arguing against religion but appreciate faith (though abhor zealousness), it is pretty imperative that we use a same frame of mind and the same definitions, otherwise the discussion is moot'!

I cannot see what's confusing about it. I didn't make that up, it's widely said today in order to curb all the religion-related violence. It was to say what I think the main purpose of original "religion" practice is.

Weren't we discussing the good vs. evils of religion? wink I say it again, I am no religious philosopher and I am just posting what are my own views and beliefs here, I didn't do any research on this stuff, hehe. So sorry if it seems to go OT, please point me out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    Hey Peter (plindboe) thanks a lot for those points! I love technical stuff and reading about these, being a science student myself (wishing to join medical college soon). Thanks! wink

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have changed the topic title (as discussed with Bregt), but have taken into account Tim's caveat, so I haven't made the new title *too* obvious.

The significance of the phrase "as above, so below", is that it is believed to hold the key to all mysteries. In hermeticism, all systems of magic, belief and the occult are claimed to function by this formula:
    'That which is above is the same as that which is below, i.e. Macrocosmos is the same as Microcosmos, the universe is the same as God, God is the same as man, man is the same as the cell, the cell is the same as the atom, the atom is the same as...and so on, ad infinitum.

In short: through one, you will be able to understand the other.
    It seemed rather apt for the directions the discussion and its varying break-off subjects have been taking.

Game on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    Martijn wrote
    "humanity as religion"

I cannot see what's confusing about it. I didn't make that up, it's widely said today in order to curb all the religion-related violence. It was to say what I think the main purpose of original "religion" practice is.

I fully appreciate that you are merely putting forward your own point of view here, Ravi, rather than make Huge Theosophical Points Of Order. smile
    For my part, I just try to understand: could you maybe elaborate on what the idea of "humanity as religion" should entail?

I would find myself in agreement with the definition of religion as "the set of beliefs, feelings, dogmas and practices that define the relations between human being and divinity or that what is (held to be) sacred".

That obviously wouldn't work in an equation such as you just employed, so maybe you could elaborate on what you meant?
    (I think we actually may be more or less in agreement here, but I wouldn't want to presume so I'd rather I heard it from you)
  1. Well, Kieslowski DID say that his religion unpopular, for he beliveves in human.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    I agree that there are zealots connected to every single cognitive, spriritual or physical aspect of life (including, obviously, science), but to equate zealousness to religion does a disservice to both.

QFT

I've always found it curious that people tend to use religious thinking as an insult. If a behaviour is deemed extreme and closeminded, people call it a religion. It's even more curious when religious people do it (which happens surprisingly often), as if they are subconsciously aware that they are at a disadvantage and want to bring the other side down to their own level. We see the same with the word "faith". Religious people tend to consider faith a virtue on one hand, yet they also use it as an insult towards their opponents.

Sometimes I wish I had chosen to study psychology, as I'd love to understand how people can hold such opposite beliefs, yet somehow seem blissfully unaware of it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Martijn wrote
    "humanity as religion"

I fully appreciate that you are merely putting forward your own point of view here, Ravi, rather than make Huge Theosophical Points Of Order. smile
    For my part, I just try to understand: could you maybe elaborate on what the idea of "humanity as religion" should entail?

I would find myself in agreement with the definition of religion as "the set of beliefs, feelings, dogmas and practices that define the relations between human being and divinity or that what is (held to be) sacred".

That obviously wouldn't work in an equation such as you just employed, so maybe you could elaborate on what you meant?
    (I think we actually may be more or less in agreement here, but I wouldn't want to presume so I'd rather I heard it from you)

Hey Martijn, I can see what you mean. I will elaborate-

I know well aware that the main characterstic of every religion is the beliefs and faiths, the stories, the Holy Books etc. But you cannot deny that the ultimate point of all religions, whether through God or Books or WHATEVER, is to make its disciples good human beings. I KNOW religion isn't a compulsion to become good people, I have expressed my views about this more than once here. But that is the main thing of religions, as far as I know. I studied in a Christian Catholic school till now and so we were also introduced to parts of the Bible. I have seen that none of the Holy Books ever mislead anyone. They tell you to retain humanity under all circumstances and believe in God. WHATEVER be the form in which you see God. That is not the point. God is God, no matter what form you worship Him in, what Holy Books you believe in, what religion you follow. I have already said why I am convinced God is real, I will not quote it all again here. And IMHO God does NOT want expensive rituals or sacrifices or anything like that from us, He only wants us to be good people. And that is why I said to have "humanity" as a religion, as that is the main motive of all religions. I KNOW about all the beliefs and stories that must be followed if you follow any religion, but that is only ONE way that the religion offers, it is not the ONLY way. There is a true story where a boy just took an ordinary stone and worshipped it as God, but with true devotion, and his prayers were always heard. And you all know how wasteful and pointless the fights and violence between various religious groups are. So being a true "human" is more important than being an orthodox follower of any religion, IMHO.

I hope I have made myself clear. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    DemonStar wrote

I hope I have made myself clear. smile

You did. I read your post, and although we may not hold the same beliefs (or dis-beliefs?), I can but stand in admiration and respect for the way you approach/follow your religion.

I'll come back to this thread after I've chilled a bit... long weekend in Portsmouth! cheesy dizzy beer sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I'll come back to this thread after I've chilled a bit... long weekend in Portsmouth! cheesy dizzy beer sleep

Have a great time, Steven! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh I did, but I probably should have made it more clear that I've actually just came back! biggrin smile

Needs sleeps. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh I did, but I probably should have made it more clear that I've actually just came back! biggrin smile

Needs sleeps. sleep

'Night! biggrin