• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There was the moment when someone sued NASA after Apollo 8 read out the beginning of Genesis during a broadcast while orbiting around the Moon. I don't know about the results of the lawsuit, but they were much more careful afterwards.

shocked Why's that?! Who claimed copyright? King James? God himself?

Unlike Europe, they have a rather strict tradition of separation of church and state in the US, so government funded programs shouldn't take sides for or against religion, and proselytizing by reading scripture comes under this. It was unconstitutional, but the case was funnily enough dismissed as the Moon was considered outside of the court's jurisdiction. I find that Americans are a bit too uptight about this stuff sometimes, but given their constitution and the interpretations of it throughout history by the supreme court, then it follows that the government should always remain neutral.

Some argue that the strict separation of church and state in the US has actually served to protect religion, and helps to explain why religion is much more rampant there than here (though the cold war has certainly had an impact as well).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you ever decide to write a book Peter, I will be the first one to pre-order it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same goes for Martijn. But I'd rather he make his own port first. drink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, thanks Steven. I'll get right on it.

Peter biggrin
  1. plindboe wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There was the moment when someone sued NASA after Apollo 8 read out the beginning of Genesis during a broadcast while orbiting around the Moon. I don't know about the results of the lawsuit, but they were much more careful afterwards.

shocked Why's that?! Who claimed copyright? King James? God himself?

Unlike Europe, they have a rather strict tradition of separation of church and state in the US, so government funded programs shouldn't take sides for or against religion, and proselytizing by reading scripture comes under this. It was unconstitutional, but the case was funnily enough dismissed as the Moon was considered outside of the court's jurisdiction. I find that Americans are a bit too uptight about this stuff sometimes, but given their constitution and the interpretations of it throughout history by the supreme court, then it follows that the government should always remain neutral.

Some argue that the strict separation of church and state in the US has actually served to protect religion, and helps to explain why religion is much more rampant there than here (though the cold war has certainly had an impact as well).

Peter smile

When Buzz Aldrin (a Presbyterian elder himself) administered Communion on the Moon's surface (after getting back to the Landing Module, I think?), it was of course off camera biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. According to Moonshoot it was before they got out of the Eagle.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Then you are right, my details were sketchy here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Hehe, thanks Steven. I'll get right on it.

Peter biggrin

As will I. christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Back to what we discussed recently, I am reading William James right now (his Pragmatism lectures) and little did I know that I am making some of his points myself. I had some reflections, which I will explain once I flesh my thoughts out a bit better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
  5. Umm, the link goes to a wrong place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited
    This guy seems to think that "The selfish gene" somehow represents conservative politics and that it may have influenced his political views. face-palm-mt I haven't read it, but at least I have read enough to understand what it's about. It's amazing how many people who say that they have read it only seem to have read the title of the book.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited
    I sometimes wonder whether Dawkins is the best or the worst book titler in the world.

Peter smile
  6. Exatly my view of Dawkins: Brilliant biologist, terrible philosopher.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013
    True story bro http://i.imgur.com/K97HPDe.jpg
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013
    Whoooo! I missed months of discussion here... But it's too much to read now.

Sarah wrote
    True story bro http://i.imgur.com/K97HPDe.jpg

Nice smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    What he said.
    He's usually right.
    Except when he's not.
    But even then his writing is great.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nice. smile

And just to give Steven an orgasm, this guy is pure awesomeness.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Peter, that was sixteen and a half minutes well spent. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer

Yep, a brilliant and passionate speaker, and each point is so well articulated. I've bookmarked the full debate, as I'm sure there are more gems from him. I'd watch this guy over Dawkins any day.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm at work, but I will definitely be watching this later! I love these sorts of debates, it's something I could never be able to do myself. I have a lot of respect for people who can think on their feet and give such reasoned arguments in the heat of the moment (Sam Harris is probably the most skilled live debater I've ever seen, far better than Dawkins).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed. I like Dawkins as a person and as a passionate and influential scientist, but he's not the great communicator and debater that some people seem to think. Harris is a great communicator, who always makes his sometimes complicated and controversial points easy to understand for everyone. I think the guy in the above video is as skilled a communicator as Harris, but he sounds much more passionate, which will probably have a broader appeal, while Harris sounds more like an intellectual.

Btw, here's the full debate-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NkdKw2txw

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    biggrin

http://harddawn.com/are-militant-atheis … in-heaven/
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    Troll level: Expert.
  7. Wow. That is a poetic weave to rival one of the mini-worlds of Gulliver's Travels.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. I came across a very interesting book by an agnostic who defends the doubting mind but also actually moderate religion. He is as against religious fanaticism, creationism and all these things, as he is against, actually, against the "militant atheists" or rather, to be precise, anti-theists as Dawkins, Harris (the translation of the book constantly corrects his last name, which is reportedly written wrong all around the book). I haven't read it in full, I am just regularly skimming over it, but his arguments are interesting enough to warrant a full read when I have a bit more time and I have less of a backlog in reading than I have now.

This does lead me to interesting thoughts actually. I found out that I am on a similar stance with rather choosing to be theist than agnostic. My choice of theism is to be honest partly about the fact that I don't find how scientific discoveries negate or prove God's existence. The regular religious argument is that if it can be proven, then we don't have to believe, which is the point of being religious. Now, I think I can make a more argumented defense of my views, based on a certain readings I had recently in philosophy, a bit of psychology and things like that. Granted, the psychological knowledge is a bit out-of-date, but the author is actually regarded as seminal (he was also a philosopher, but his philosophy came largely from his psychological research and what has been happening around him philosophically at the time) both in terms of psychology in general and psychology of religion. The name is William James. The other philosopher that has influenced me in this regard is Ludwig Wittgenstein, a very important language philosopher, who was "agnostic, but close to the Catholic Church" in terms of his views and never spoke of religion, but rather defined a basic approach to the world as we see it.

When I said that lack of belief is a form of belief I basically repeated William James' logical argument that I didn't yet fully know about, but he shares my sentiments: "I don't believe in X" means "I believe that not X". This was an atheist philosopher and psychologist who was fascinated with religion and actually analyzed philosophy in pragmatic terms. For him "pragmatic terms" meant assessing philosophical views by assessing their usefulness. Is religion useful (that means a good system for a person)? Yes, because it gives hope. Then it helps getting by, it helps living. It may be seen as shallow. And yet, the inclusiveness of James' philosophy says some big things, because it's a kind of "life philosophy" rather than a huge system, which pretty much agrees with the antisystematic mind that James had. It's not that he thought religion influenced his scientific views. No. He wrote a very nice compromise that settles down the relationship between religion and science from a researcher's point of view. In his seminal "Psychology", James considers if a deity influences human psychology (I don't exactly remember the chapter where it was discussed, that's why I am so general). James, after an analysis, said something along these lines: "God is not a concept useful in psychological research, because this hypothesis wouldn't hold together. It doesn't mean that a psychologist can't believe in God. You can believe in God, but God is academically irrelevant". A nice way of putting "Believe in what you want, you're allowed, but don't use your beliefs as academic hypotheses".

Ludwig Wittgenstein on the other hand discussed what the world is in a linguistic fashion. His books are VERY difficult to read, but given proper attention, they reveal very interesting views in the relationship between science and metaphysics. Again, reading Wittgenstein made me realize (not influence) what my own views are and have always been. As a language philosopher, a seminal one at that, Wittgenstein argues that the world could be explicated as "a set of sentences describing reality". Basically a set of "linguistic beings" (he'd kill me for that) that logically explain how the world works. It could and should be argued that this basically means that the world is what science says it is with "says" being the key word due to his linguistic and logical (radically, at that) approach. Then comes, however, another argument: What is not describing the world is metaphysics. What does that mean from the standpoint of a religion argument?

Imagine a geometric figure, a flat one for argument reasons. That doesn't mean I am a flat-earther, it's just a philosophical argument about how the relationship works. Physics, the set of sentences explaining the way reality works, is the field of this figure. It contains everything we know at the moment from any science. But a figure doesn't have only the field, there is also the delimiting circumference. Now this is where it gets interesting. It's easy to say that religion belongs to the metaphysical realm, but what is the metaphysical realm? Wittgenstein says that everything that is not in that set of sentences is in the metaphysical realm. Which I find correct.

If the physical realm can be explained, that doesn't mean that we have one thing. A definition. My philosophical adventures (I read a lot of it, especially recently) led me to the conclusion that every big philosophical system could be analyzed by finding what I call the metaphysical keyword. It's easy to find, because it's all over a certain system or even set of systems. It could be God (Middle Ages, mostly), it could be Reason, Nature (17th and 18th Century), it could be Hegel's Spirit/Mind (Geist), the Nietzschean Will to Power would probably fit there, Dilthey and Simmel's Life would for sure, the vital force of Bergson... The arguments for these keywords is often quite vague, it must be said. When I was researching 17th century literature I had problems (and I never found it!) finding the 17th century definition of nature. They would just throw the word in poetry and philosophy wouldn't really explain it. Is it what we call physics today? Is it the opposition of nature and grace in theology? I never found out. Hegel is a bit better with his concept of Geist, but Simmel and Dilthey never say what is Life to them. Is it an overarching vital power? "Poetry is the explication of life". Of what? Etc. This is quite a philosophical problem, but when in the 20th Century philosophers appeared who argued against metaphysics as something impossible they didn't realize that by rejecting metaphysics they created a new one which they stuck to. Whatever keyword ruled at the moment was replaced with Language or maybe, to be more precise, actually Logic. Logic started to rule the world. Not in Cartesian terms. Language defined everything we do and they argued that the only way to analyze what we say is through highly developed logic.

And there is God. What is God? God is the metaphysical keyword some people choose to believe in (metaphysics is the domain of belief not knowledge). Now, even if you by principle reject any metaphysics, you don't reject it for real, because metaphysics is the source of our definition of the world. Chance? Whatever like that? It's metaphysical. We all have a set of beliefs, we just reject often to call it so. Some people choose to pick God. Does that influence their actions? Yes. Does the belief in Nature as an overarching power explained by the genius of Science which has the advantage of being disputable by logical arguments influence someone's actions? Sure, or we wouldn't have Dawkins arguing for atheism so much. Or Harris or someone else. Picking God is a choice, not always easy (Kierkegaard would argue that the path of religion is actually way more difficult, also because we doubt constantly and there are things that are hard to grasp) contrary to most of arguments here.

Most of theism vs. antitheism discussion looks like: "You're wrong!" "And you're UGLY". There should be more of a dispute here, because only that way something could be gained here. For the sake of culture and development.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014
    plindboe wrote
    Nice. smile

And just to give Steven an orgasm, this guy is pure awesomeness.

Peter smile

Excellent speech -- and I can say that even as a Christian.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014
    Hmm, you've lost me on most of what you've written there Pawel, sounds like you've been hanging out with Deepak Chopra too much. But here's a few thoughts:

PawelStroinski wrote: I don't find how scientific discoveries negate or prove God's existence.

I'm sure, as you know, that's never been the point of science. What science has done has decreased the likelihood of God's existence, and has simply been a side effect of science, not its aim. The more we've learned about the natural world, the less we have needed God to explain anything. It also depends on the type of god you're referring to, since the god of Christianity, in its strict Biblical form, is pretty much refuted by the evidence (not the almost undefinable, slippery notion of God of so-called modern Christianity that we often encounter today, at least outside of churches).

"I don't believe in X" means "I believe that not X".

Nope. It means "I haven't encountered sufficient evidence for X, therefor I have no reason to believe in X, but I am willing to believe in X given sufficient evidence."

I do not believe in a great many things, but this does not mean I believe they all do not exist. This is a horribly misleading word game that tries to put a person's lack of belief -that is, 'atheism'- on a level playing field as someone's religious beliefs.

Picking God is a choice, not always easy (Kierkegaard would argue that the path of religion is actually way more difficult, also because we doubt constantly and there are things that are hard to grasp) contrary to most of arguments here.

I think you're confusing hope with belief. You are no more free to choose your beliefs as you are to travel back in time, but you are free to hope for a God - and this is where the struggle lies. Reason will often tell you that God's existence is very unlikely, and in turn will cause your belief in God to wane, but it doesn't necessarily affect your hope (in fact, it may even increase your hope, which is perhaps why when theists are presented with reasonable arguments against God, they just buckle down further and bury their heads in sand).
  9. Not necessarily. The author was on a meeting with a theologian and an antitheist and generally the arguments were more, as he himself admitted, on the theologian's side, because he gave arguments and the atheist's reasoning wasn't on a higher level than saying "bullshit".

I love how someone ridiculed a discussion between a religious woman and an atheist, because she used the argument of "you're too rational". It's easy to ridicule, but not if you realize that human beings aren't necessarily strictly rational beings and this is what we happen to forget when we make such discussions. No, we aren't strictly rational. We act on emotions, sometimes on instinct (which maybe rational in terms of the nervous system, but not rational in terms of thinking proper). There is a full realm of irrational behavior and thoughts. In fact an atheist (!) thinker that Carl Gustav Jung was, actually said that if you reject any spiritual realm whatsoever (be it religion or something else, but definitely in the spiritual, aka irrational and far from scientific), you're basically mentally ill. And yes, that was said by a proponent atheist.

Doesn't sufficient evidence mean knowledge rather than belief, too? If we have sufficient knowledge (and we do), that for example we have a vertical position and are two-legged, do we believe that we are two-legged or do we KNOW that for a fact? What is evidence if it leads to beliefs? Do we believe that gravity exists or actually know it thanks to getting evidence first on a theoretical (depending on the paradigm, Einstein of course defined gravity differently than Newton did) level and then by experiment, which also gives us "sufficient evidence"? What would "belief" be? I think it's closer to making an assumption (I assume God exists and stick to it).

I don't think science reduced any likelihood, because, and I think there is a missing link here, that's not the point and not even a side effect. The reason behind scientific reasoning is to find a plausible explanation for the world's phenomena. The same could be true for religion, but not in 2014 or even, to be honest, 1750 or 1650 (MASSIVE discoveries were made then, some by deeply theist scientists like Kepler and Newton! Newton would even argue on a No True Scotsman principle about the relation between religion and science!), but rather in 2014 BC.

I am theist, I never rejected any scientific discovery, in fact I am quite observant (thanks to a popular Facebook page) of what's happening in science on as regular basis as I can, but never did I think that a scientific discovery would lead me to deny anything. I feel that these are totally different realms which can be in dialogue, but don't NEED to be in dialogue. Because if we actually put them at odds, which seems to be a popular atheist argument, we'd have not only to reject Copernicus (a priest), Keppler and Newton, but we'd also have to reject the fact that one of the proponents of the Big Bang theory (and creators!) was a Jesuit. We'd have to reject the fact that the first experiments in genetic inheritance were made by a Czech monk. But that's not the point, is it? Does that mean that all of them were poor idiots, who didn't know the Only Truth about reality, that is that God doesn't exist? Did it influence their results and behavior in any way? Not at all. When Keppler was hoping that the orbit would be a perfect circle, because that would signify God's perfection, his calculations and observations proved otherwise. Did the fact that he discovered it to be an ellipse defy his faith? No, he stayed deeply religious to the end of his life, but just admitted that his primary hypothesis was wrong. The gravity equations were discovered by Newton while looking for a mathematical equation that would prove God's existence. And no, he didn't find one, but still believed in God.

Do we ever question these men's genius? Because being coherent would lead atheists to think that the idiots were wrong, because they believed in God and they created something that is still accepted just by sheer accident. No! It was dilligent work in mathematics and dilligent experimentation. We could only argue if their faith didn't actually potentially lead to their dilligence, especially if they were Protestant (that'd rule out Copernicus, but still, he did make those calculations, did explain them in a seminal work), where the profession you take is regarded as God's choice (sorry, my English is lacking in vocabulary here).

I must also admit one thing. The stronger arguments I hear, the more I tend to lean towards what is argued against in these discussions. A large religious attack on atheism makes me lean towards atheism, but a large antireligious rant makes my faith stronger and pushes me to define myself more in these regards.