• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    By popular request here is a second set of western clips. Same rules apply as previous games: 2 points per clip - one each for composer and score. I'll add some hints later today (if I get a chance) but, failing that, I'll try and get some clues posted tomorrow.

You can get the zip file of the clips here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/30nww9

There are 20 clips in all - so a total of 40 points are at stake.

- the clips span a total of 66 years
    - 14 composers are represented in the clips

As usual PM me with your suggestions and I'll keep the game going for 7-10 days.

Enjoy!!

Clues:

CLIP 1: European-born multiple Oscar-winning composer scored this western that, unusually for the time, featured non-American actor in the starring role. Original score is available but this clip from much-praised re-recording series.

CLIP 2: Another non-US born multiple Oscar-winner pens this western that is ranked in the top 10 westerns of all time list by the American Film Institute. Received the grand re-recording treatment a few years ago. But what artwork do you have?

CLIP 3: Similarities with Hans Zimmer's work is purely coincidental. This landmark western is scored by a very under-rated composer - whose "sound" is much in evidence in this clip. Credited with being the movie that launched the "be-nice-to-the-Native-American" cycle of this decade.

CLIP 4: Already a composer makes a second appearance in the list! The score draws heavily on contemporary tunes. The movie ends with one of the most iconic images in western movie history.

CLIP 5: If you don't recognise this from the clip alone then shame on you! The score was Oscar-nominated and is the composer's best-known work.

CLIP 6: A film in three parts? Nominated in the category of "Best music, score - substantially original" (would anyone win nowadays with that category?) I've used this clip in a previous game as the beginning reminds me so much of Don Davis' Matrix scores, but the main theme appears late on in the clip.

CLIP 7: This composer goes for subtlety rather than all-out panoramic scoring. A theme that highlights this composer's ability to get to the heart of a movie. Movie clues? None. Never seen the movie - the music will do me just fine.

CLIP 8: A western score, unusual orchestrations & male grunting. It can only be one composer...but which film? A Christmas western...apparently.

CLIP 9: Another composer forever associated with the western - but not for this particular movie. The elder son is a legend in the genre.

CLIP 10: THAT composer is featured again. An New Jersey accountant turned cowboy who is on a mission.

CLIP 11: The composer was Oscar-nominated for this score to a film concerned about the passing of the "Old West".

CLIP 12: THAT composer makes a third and final appearance for a movie again featuring the accountant playing an ex-con.

CLIP 13: A western that was one of the first movies to feature an interracial sex scene, the score was composed by a giant. He's already featured in this list.

CLIP 14: A movie that relied heavily on genre plots from a variety of other earlier movies. Should westerns really have motorcycles in them? Actor and composer duo team up again in this list here.

CLIP 15: Jump forward more than a decade to this praised TV mini series. The composer (featured twice in this list) won a BMI TV Music Award for this effort - much deserved.

CLIP 16: This underrated composer composed a Golden Globe nominated TV movie score has many characters performing in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show.

CLIP 17: The first of a couple of games featured in this list. A first-person shooter game it featured a score that sounds remarkably like THAT composer featured earlier.

CLIP 18: A famous director (one of his movies features earlier) tried to get this movie produced but died before he had the chance. Well-known Oscar-nominated British director finally brought this western set in the 1940s to the screen.

CLIP 19: Another TV movie score from a composer now sadly missed. Hats off to a board member for ensuring that a wide audience can hear this composer's final score.

CLIP 20: The score for this western video game has only had a promo release. The list of vocal talent in this game wouldn't look out of place in a headline movie! This composer had predominantly scored for TV and video game projects but is beginning to make his mark in movies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    New game!

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Thank you for hosting another game. smile I don't think I'll get many without the clues but I'll give it a try...

-Ranietz-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've heard half of them but I don't think i know any of the clips! confused shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yay Alan punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I've send my guesses, I'm hoping for 10 points tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I've send my guesses, I'm hoping for 10 points tongue

Why restrict yourself to just 10 points?

Tommy_Boy - 15 points beer

I'm tempted to award some additional points for guesses submitted before clues are uploaded.

I'm in the middle of putting together some clues and I'll post them shortly...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    The clues will be posted tomorrow - I hate doing these clues and I'm only halfway through them. I'm off to do something more enjoyable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Hey, keep it fun Alan! It shouldn't become work. These games are for your and our entertainment only.

The best clues are of course easy clips... wink

Will give it a try soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregje wrote
    Hey, keep it fun Alan! It shouldn't become work. These games are for your and our entertainment only.

I agree. wave

You shouldn't have to do research and write a long essay at each track, just quickly write the little that comes to mind, if anything does.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Trouble downloading. It says "Sorry, the free service is at full capacity" each time I try. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nevermind. Fourth time's the charm. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sent my feeble try in.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Sent my feeble try in.

A little false modesty there Timmer? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sent my feeble try in.

A little false modesty there Timmer? wink

Unfortunately not! slant
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I've send my guesses, I'm hoping for 10 points tongue

Why restrict yourself to just 10 points?

Tommy_Boy - 15 points beer

I'm tempted to award some additional points for guesses submitted before clues are uploaded.

I'm in the middle of putting together some clues and I'll post them shortly...

tempted? do it bud, me need more points, me wanna win something finally biggrin
  3. Thor wrote
    Trouble downloading. It says "Sorry, the free service is at full capacity" each time I try. slant

I can't help. Any tech-minded people know what the problem may be?

BTW, the clues are up.
  4. Update:

Tommy_Boy* - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points
  5. James storms in with 100% correct suggestions:

Southall - 27 points beer
    Tommy_Boy - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    James storms in with 100% correct suggestions:

Tommy_Boy - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points

you can't let me win one can you Southal? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    James storms in with 100% correct suggestions:

Tommy_Boy - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points

you can't let me win one can you Southal? tongue

wink

I didn't have time to enter the last game... sorry... got a nice idea for a new one though, once other people have their turn.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    I don't know if I'll be able to take a guess at this one after all. Lot's of other stuff that has to be done first... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    I'll send some guesses later today. Having just won the filmtracks GTS game, my film music self esteem is currently peaking.

Peter cool
  7. plindboe wrote
    I'll send some guesses later today. Having just won the filmtracks GTS game, my film music self esteem is currently peaking.

Peter cool

wtf, now on filmtracks they even copy us. At least we have the smart people who guess here tongue
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall - 29 points beer
    Tommy_Boy - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points

James adds a couple of points...with more on the way I'm sure.

Anyone else likely to send in some answers?
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    Update:

Southall - 29 points
    Antineutrino - 15 points
    Tommy_Boy - 15 points
    Timmer - 10 points

Antineutrino posts some guesses - and guesses 100% correct.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    I sent in my answers a day ago. Seems Alan is having a break from maintitles, as I've not gotten a response yet. *sniff*

Should be in the mid-twenties though, so I should secure a 2nd place.

Peter smile
  9. plindboe wrote
    I sent in my answers a day ago. Seems Alan is having a break from maintitles, as I've not gotten a response yet. *sniff*

shame
    I'll get to your suggestions as soon as I can.
  10. Update:

Southall - 29
    plindboe - 26
    Tommy_Boy - 15
    Antineutrino - 14
    Timmer - 10
    Bregje - 4

The appearance of a certain composer contributes to Peter's excellent start. Making James nervous? And Bregje's belief that you definitely can't win if you don't take part means that she's hovering outside a Top 5 place.
    punk
  11. Suggestions seem to have dried up for this game.

I'll either keep it going for another 5-6 hours - or if I get distracted I'll post the answers tomorrow evening.